Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

Has anyone ever bought fabric from http://www.girlcharlee.com ?

The pictures on their site look nice, and they will send 4 swatches complimentary no shipping. I do have 4 swatches on the way.

I have bought vintage fabric on Ebay too.

Ebay has some sellers with fabric 'stores'. I think I am going to give this seller a try......http://stores.ebay.com/FabricsUniverse?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

There are 2 Hancocks within 15 miles of each other, and a Joann's where I live but I can't find anything exciting...eyecatching.

Any one familiar with Mood Fabric? I was googling fabric stores in LA (since I'm going out there later this month) and ran across an M and L and the website for Mood. A better sewer than I am absolutely raved over Mood and tells me I have to go. Is it worth driving through LA traffic?

I've been to Mood in NYC and have ordered online from them and they have lovely stuff, particularly in the store. I think the LA store is closed right now due to construction issues in the area. Check online to see when it will reopen, but it's worth a visit (never have driven through LA traffic, so that's your call..LOL)

Has anyone ever bought fabric from http://www.girlcharlee.com?

No, but I have sewing friends that enjoy shopping there. Let us know how you like your swatches.

So......as I am the "camera man" in our family there are very few pictures of me and I was enjoying myself so much that I didn't remember to ask DH to take pics of my clothes.

Here is one of the dresses I made for one of the formal nights on my Alaskan cruise:

IMG_1036.jpgBlack doesn't photograph well but it's got an asymmetrical front that gathers to the side. A flounce embellishes the neckline on that side. It's a good all purpose LBD that doesn't wrinkle and can be dressed up or down. It's not formal but I found that on an Alaskan cruise people don't dress up as much as on Caribbean cruises. Unfortunately, I forgot the lovely velvet burnout shawl I made to wear with this dress. I have no idea why I forgot to put it into my suitcase.......:(

The only other pic of me wearing something I made is the fleece hat I wore on the deck during our colder excursions. It's a Vogue pattern.

IMG_1206.jpg

I did wear the skirt I posted previously one night in the Pinnacle Grill. I wore the grey sweater I made and showed you, several times! Additionally I took several tees (Jalie Pattern) and a tunic (Also Jalie) that I wore a lot. Leggings that I self drafted were worn with the tunic and also under jeans for warmth.

I had an amazing trip!!!

Edited by msjekyl
pics didn't post

I've been to Mood in NYC and have ordered online from them and they have lovely stuff, particularly in the store. I think the LA store is closed right now due to construction issues in the area. Check online to see when it will reopen, but it's worth a visit (never have driven through LA traffic, so that's your call..LOL)

Has anyone ever bought fabric from http://www.girlcharlee.com?

No, but I have sewing friends that enjoy shopping there. Let us know how you like your swatches.

So......as I am the "camera man" in our family there are very few pictures of me and I was enjoying myself so much that I didn't remember to ask DH to take pics of my clothes.

Here is one of the dresses I made for one of the formal nights on my Alaskan cruise:

IMG_1036.jpgBlack doesn't photograph well but it's got an asymmetrical front that gathers to the side. A flounce embellishes the neckline on that side. It's a good all purpose LBD that doesn't wrinkle and can be dressed up or down. It's not formal but I found that on an Alaskan cruise people don't dress up as much as on Caribbean cruises. Unfortunately, I forgot the lovely velvet burnout shawl I made to wear with this dress. I have no idea why I forgot to put it into my suitcase.......:(

The only other pic of me wearing something I made is the fleece hat I wore on the deck during our colder excursions. It's a Vogue pattern.

IMG_1206.jpg

I did wear the skirt I posted previously one night in the Pinnacle Grill. I wore the grey sweater I made and showed you, several times! Additionally I took several tees (Jalie Pattern) and a tunic (Also Jalie) that I wore a lot. Leggings that I self drafted were worn with the tunic and also under jeans for warmth.

I had an amazing trip!!!

WOW!!!

Really very nice clothing. The dress is beautiful. You are a great sewer. Your hat looks so warm and comfortable to wear.

My daughter (and grandson) just moved out there and she said they sustained some structural damage during the April earthquake. She was out there interviewing for her job and said the shaking on the 12th floor of her hotel made her sick to her stomach. Almost made her decide not to move out there. The website says July 14, but we'll see. If they are open, I expect I will need to take out a second mortgage. I found a couple of pieces online that I already want to check out.

I don't actually watch Project Runway, but am familiar with the show. It's hard to watch a lot of TV while working full time and finishing up a degree. (December 19 can't get here soon enough!)

Thanks, everyone!

Wow, purple hays.....that must have really impacted Mood LA's business. When I was in Mood NYC I bought a silk knit and it took me 3 years before I had the nerve to cut into it. LOL

Edited by msjekyl

I was surfing Mood today and found the lace (what I was originally looking for). I think my wallet is in trouble--$150/yard guipure. :eek: 8400 pictures of fabrics. I only got through about 2500. I think it will take me more than three years to cut into it. I did see some silk jersey I really want to look at.

And the "closed until July 14) note was gone from their website today. Maybe they are open!

I'm looking forward to having time to sew after I finish school. I might have to build up slowly since it's been so long. NOT with expensive Mood fabrics!

I was surfing Mood today and found the lace (what I was originally looking for). I think my wallet is in trouble--$150/yard guipure. :eek: 8400 pictures of fabrics. I only got through about 2500. I think it will take me more than three years to cut into it. I did see some silk jersey I really want to look at.

And the "closed until July 14) note was gone from their website today. Maybe they are open!

I'm looking forward to having time to sew after I finish school. I might have to build up slowly since it's been so long. NOT with expensive Mood fabrics!

WOW! $150 a yard. I would be afraid to touch the fabric. I must be beautiful.

I was surfing Mood today and found the lace (what I was originally looking for). I think my wallet is in trouble--$150/yard guipure. :eek:

Do you have a link to a picture of that lace? Is this for a skirt overlay? Did you already buy it? There is a method to my madness here.......

Do you have a link to a picture of that lace? Is this for a skirt overlay? Did you already buy it? There is a method to my madness here.......

No, no, and no. I was just looking. I'm not sure I can justify $150/yard for something that I could only wear once in a while.

It would be for a dress overlay. I've been wanting a lace dress, but not at that price. I want something that I can wear to church and also to work (I change into scrubs once I get there) and it would look ok in both places.

And here is the link. I found it easier than I thought.

http://www.moodfabrics.com/metallic-silver-abstract-guipure-lace-fabric-103244.html

I also liked this one.

http://www.moodfabrics.com/metallic-silver-couture-circles-guipure-lace-fabric-105805.html

No, no, and no. I was just looking. I'm not sure I can justify $150/yard for something that I could only wear once in a while

Well my intentions were good......

The reason I asked is I have some yardage of lace (it's natural) that I have laying around and I know I'm never going to use, and it wasn't particularly cheap. Such a same to be collecting dust. I bought it with the intention of making a suit, but I never got around to using it. I was going to offer it up, but after looking at it I realize that it's only about 18" wide. Not wide enough for a skirt. I guess I was going to use it as a border. It's been a few years and my memory fades:(

I had originally gotten two different laces that were to be incorporated into the suit design. I ended up using one of them in a dress. I dyed the lace to match the fashion fabric and it took the dye quite well. I've never finished the dress, which only needs some hemming and hand sewing because it makes me look 10lbs heavier than I am and it weighs a ton.

Those laces you like are just fabulous. I love the second one!

Got lost on the refashion blog last night. Lost like an hour looking at her refashions. LOL

What grabbed my attention was she didn't rip everything and re-sew it from scratch. I noticed was that she just tailored it by pinning it on the sides and usually ripped the old wide collars off. Then she turned most of what I looked at into strapless tops, halter tops or asymmetrical strap tops. Wished I could wear strapless or one strapped tops. Too self conscious from much arm and back fat left over from yoyo dieting.

But they looked really cute on her. Liked the shirt dresses with belts too. I am too thick waisted to draw attention to my non waist.

My favorite was the cullocks that she turned into a top with a wide arm and one sholder.

Edited by tbbtravels

Got lost on the refashion blog last night. Lost like an hour looking at her refashions. LOL

What grabbed my attention was she didn't rip everything and re-sew it from scratch. I noticed was that she just tailored it by pinning it on the sides and usually ripped the old wide collars off. Then she turned most of what I looked at into strapless tops, halter tops or asymmetrical strap tops. Wished I could wear strapless or one strapped tops. Too self conscious from much arm and back fat left over from yoyo dieting.

But they looked really cute on her. Liked the shirt dresses with belts too. I am too thick waisted to draw attention to my non waist.

My favorite was the cullocks that she turned into a top with a wide arm and one sholder.

I got lost there for a couple hours today and already have my first garments that need hacking. Time to take in those items from my heavier days that are outdated. I figure they are just wasting space in my closet, so I might as well give it a try.

I also have been looking at her blog and saw her on Good Morning America to day. Like you said she doesn't take apart the whole dress just takes it in . shortens it and changes thing. A lot of work. It looks like a dress form really helps in fitting a garment. I would really like to have one.

Do you ladies have/use a dress form?.

No dress form but would love one if I did what Jillian does to refashion ugly dresses into adorable pieces.

She is an inspiration if you wish to do what she does . Now that she was seen by millions on GMA today, more people might try redoing clothes.

I have a dress form and love it! It makes it so easy to get my outfits to fit!

Wish I would have been home today to see Jillian on GMA. I have been enthralled with her blog ever since it was posted on here. She is amazing and so creative.

Hope everyone has a great evening and happy sewing!

Gerry

I have a dress form and love it! It makes it so easy to get my outfits to fit!

Wish I would have been home today to see Jillian on GMA. I have been enthralled with her blog ever since it was posted on here. She is amazing and so creative.

Hope everyone has a great evening and happy sewing!

Gerry

I was having trouble getting the video to work. May be it will work for you.

http://abcnews.go.com/topics/entertainment/tv/good-morning-america.htm

Thanks geocruiser, I got it to work and was able to see the piece. I was amazed with the green dress that she made into a top. It was so cute. I have always been afraid to dye clothes but I guess I need to start trying that tip out on a few things.

I am going to work on an outfit for our cruise in Dec. They do a 70's night and I am going to be making that outfit today. (After I finally decide what I want to wear for it.) any ideas?

Happy sewing today everyone.

Gerry

Thanks geocruiser, I got it to work and was able to see the piece. I was amazed with the green dress that she made into a top. It was so cute. I have always been afraid to dye clothes but I guess I need to start trying that tip out on a few things.

I am going to work on an outfit for our cruise in Dec. They do a 70's night and I am going to be making that outfit today. (After I finally decide what I want to wear for it.) any ideas?

Happy sewing today everyone.

Gerry

WOW! 1970's outfit, what fun. What about bell bottom pants with a nehu (spelling) top with bell sleeves ?

Good evening everyone. Could you tell me what constitutes a Hawaiian Shirt? Is it the cut of the shirt or is it a loud/bold print? I am thinking that it is a short sleeved collared shirt that is long in the body and is straight on the bottom.

I do not remember a lot about the 70's (hey, I was just entering high school then :) ! ) but I do recall bell bottoms or elephant bottoms pants.

I do have a dress form, won from the chain fabric store that is common here is Canada. I have used it a bit with sewing, but more for obedience training with my dogs :) I would have an old house coat hanging on it and use it as a 'post' when working on our 'figure 8 heeling' an orange road pylon would be the other post.

Have a great Sunday, Sue >M<

Good evening everyone. Could you tell me what constitutes a Hawaiian Shirt? Is it the cut of the shirt or is it a loud/bold print? I am thinking that it is a short sleeved collared shirt that is long in the body and is straight on the bottom.

I do not remember a lot about the 70's (hey, I was just entering high school then :) ! ) but I do recall bell bottoms or elephant bottoms pants.

I do have a dress form, won from the chain fabric store that is common here is Canada. I have used it a bit with sewing, but more for obedience training with my dogs :) I would have an old house coat hanging on it and use it as a 'post' when working on our 'figure 8 heeling' an orange road pylon would be the other post.

Have a great Sunday, Sue >M<

For me a Hawaiian shirt it a man's button down shirt with a collar that is in a tropical pattern.

This co. is in Hawaii.

http://hawaiishirtcompany.com/hawaiianshirts.aspx

Edited by geocruiser

Thank you for the link to the shirt company Geocruiser. That is what I visualized the shirt to be. I wish I lived in the States. . . would love some of those dresses for our up-coming relocation cruise! Have to start and finish the wedding present for best friends daughter's wedding this fall and then do some sewing of garments. . . may have to stop working to get it all done ;)

Have a great week everyone! Sue