Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

I usually make my formal wear. Sometimes buying off the rack is so expensive and I don't always find what I want. I am finding as I age that my arms aren't such a great feature anymore {Booo} so something with 3/4 sleeves is more flattering. I have a pattern that I bought for a cruise a couple of years ago and some turquoise satin fabric, so maybe this time I will work that one up.

I usually make my formal wear. Sometimes buying off the rack is so expensive and I don't always find what I want. I am finding as I age that my arms aren't such a great feature anymore {Booo} so something with 3/4 sleeves is more flattering. I have a pattern that I bought for a cruise a couple of years ago and some turquoise satin fabric, so maybe this time I will work that one up.

Yes, yes and yes about the arms. I like mine covered too. What is the pattern that you are going to make? I just love turquoise, such a pretty color. I have to get on the machine and sew!

OK every one, I have a question. Do you find it hard to get time to sew? I find it hard to fine the time. There is all way something else to do. And I don't work. But between the house and cooking etc. the time just goes.

How do you find the time to sew?

Right now,I don't. I work full time and am in school part time. I finish in December and am looking forward to having time to sew again. Maybe I can get my sewing friend to teach me how to make clothes that fit instead of straight from the pattern. :rolleyes:

Good evening everyone. I sometimes only get one or two seams sewn during a sit down, and then other times I could spend a couple of hours. Did I mention that house dusting and vacuuming is not at the top of my to do list? :) So, I guess I grab the opportunity to sew when I am not drowsy (I have made errors when I am sleepy) and have a timer set if my time is limited and go. Have a great weekend and I look forward to photos of finished projects! Sue >M<

So you have inspired me. I have some gorgeous turquoise satin that I bought a few years ago and decided it needed sleeves and I just never got too excited about the dress because it seemed like too much satin. I am sure it would be fine but I wanted to change it up. So, today I went to the fabric store just to look ;) and well, you know how fabric stores can suck you in lol Well, I found what might be classified as lace but it is more embellished. Now, I am excited. The pattern calls for a fabric belt and I ordered a rhinestone belt buckle. If I can figure out how to post a picture of the fabric and pattern I will

I like to get multi uses from what cruise wear I pack. I pack light and wear my dinner separates more than once. Beginning of cruise and end of cruise. I normally stick with solid colors and wear a lot of black or white and mix and match. Change it up with my jewelry.

No serger machine. I use an old brother basic like the old singer touch n sew.

A few cruises back I sewed multi items for that cruise. From a tank dress pattern - shortened it for a swim suit cover up. Took some extra fabric and made a book cover and a tote bag.

- from a see n sew pattern - made an elastic waist white skirt. Then made a black lace over lay to go over it.

Shell/tank tops - 1 from skirt material and 1 from some left over blend material.

This thread has me thinking I need to sew some new things. I have lots of material I bought from a Hancock going out of business sale. Most is rayon or cotton blend in summer like colors and patterns.

Wow! you really have made lots of cruise clothing. What was the number of the see n sew skirt pattern? I also like the idea of a lace overlay.

Cozzette2,

That is great that you found the fabric that you needed. It should come out beautiful. Love to see some pictures of your dress.

PurpleHays,

It is hard to find time when working and going to school. I did that for many years too. The school work come first before sewing. What is your major? Mine was Geology.

Redlady62,

One seam at a time is better than not sewing. I am going to try doing that. I just wish I had a room just for my sewing, then I would not have to be all ways putting my sewing away. Right now I share the office with my DH. I am thinking of moving to the basement.

Edited by geocruiser

I believe it was a Butterwick See and Sew 5575 - I think, because my old patterns are put up to where I can't get them now. eBay item number: 201113723529

I did make a suit when I got married and used butterwick see and sew # 3817 ( or something that looked like it). ebay number eBay item number:

121375748501 So I could have modified it from zipper to just an A line. That pattern is the one I took to the singer sewing class and the lady cut that pattern up. So nothing was pattern anymore. I mean we added tissue paper - removed pattern, taped and then made more modifications. I am built funny. So It was custom. LOL, so no telling about the skirt on that.

All my patterns were from the $1 and $2 cheapo spinner rack at Wal-Mart - at least those 80's and 90's patterns were.

Anyway on the lace over lay - I did not make the back flap. Just sewed it straight down at the back seam. No bottom hem. Basic A line. White skirt was at knee and I didn't hem the black lace over lay.

This has me wanting to get my sewing stuff back out. I will find the skirt and take a picture.

Edited by tbbtravels

PurpleHays,

It is hard to find time when working and going to school. I did that for many years too. The school work come first before sewing. What is your major? Mine was Geology.

After 15+ years as an Associate Degree RN, I went back for my BSN. Took me five years to do 43 hours of pre-reqs working full time. I had to repeat chemisty. :eek: I graduate Dec 19 and am on track to finish magna cum laude. My husband has never known me to not be in school, other than the partial semester I dropped out because I got extremely sick.

Luckily, my daughters were grown and out of the house. My older one started and finished law school and my younger got a business degree while I've been forever. At one point, all three of us were in school, but they were full time and not working.

After 15+ years as an Associate Degree RN, I went back for my BSN. Took me five years to do 43 hours of pre-reqs working full time. I had to repeat chemisty. :eek: I graduate Dec 19 and am on track to finish magna cum laude. My husband has never known me to not be in school, other than the partial semester I dropped out because I got extremely sick.

Luckily, my daughters were grown and out of the house. My older one started and finished law school and my younger got a business degree while I've been forever. At one point, all three of us were in school, but they were full time and not working.

It is wonderful that you will receive your BSN. It take lots of hard work to get a degree. Best of everything to you.

Ok, I guess I'm weird, because I love to sew, and have made myself several pieces of clothing. For some reason, they are the last clothes I would want to wear.

I know my Mother has always sewn, and made alot of our clothes when we were small. I get lovely fabric, and a wonderful pattern, and when its done, it stays in the closet.

I just don't know why I won't wear my own clothes. They just never seem "good enough" to wear.

I've been sewing since high school, and even made my first wedding dress. No, I didn't get married in it, but I did wear it. Many, many years ago. I know I would love a serger, but don't know if I could learn how, or would want to spend the money, on more clothes I won't wear.

I have some kind of phobia, I'm thinking.

Ok, I guess I'm weird, because I love to sew, and have made myself several pieces of clothing. For some reason, they are the last clothes I would want to wear.

I know my Mother has always sewn, and made alot of our clothes when we were small. I get lovely fabric, and a wonderful pattern, and when its done, it stays in the closet.

I just don't know why I won't wear my own clothes. They just never seem "good enough" to wear.

I've been sewing since high school, and even made my first wedding dress. No, I didn't get married in it, but I did wear it. Many, many years ago. I know I would love a serger, but don't know if I could learn how, or would want to spend the money, on more clothes I won't wear.

I'm thinking it's more you enjoy the creative process more than the product. I used to sew clothes for other people just for the experience of creating the garment.

The first thing that I would do is to find out the reason why you don't like wearing the clothes that you make. I went through the same thing and for me I did not like unfinished seams. I did not want to do French seams. I brought a serger and just love sewing with it. The seams are just like ready to wear from the store. Then, I would think my homemade clothes were not nice enough to where. So, I made myself wear a skirt. I had ladies stop me, and want to know where I brought it. And now I get stopped a lot of times.

Maybe you might enjoy sewing for others or making accessories.

My problem is finding fabric I like.

There are 2 fabric stores fairly close to me but I am never happy with the selections.

Do any of you have online fabric stores you have tried?

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

My problem is finding fabric I like.

There are 2 fabric stores fairly close to me but I am never happy with the selections.

Do any of you have online fabric stores you have tried?

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

The only large fabric store we have is Joann's. We do have some smaller quilt shops that sell some clothing fabric.

I have never brought fabric on line. But in Threads magazine there are lots of places to but on line.

We have both JoAnn and Hancock, but all the fabrics start looking alike. I want to find a fabulous lace for a dress, but all they have is the Casa collection that looks prom-ish and bridal. I want a red or purple. A nice thick lace. Not to be found in my area.

We have both JoAnn and Hancock, but all the fabrics start looking alike. I want to find a fabulous lace for a dress, but all they have is the Casa collection that looks prom-ish and bridal. I want a red or purple. A nice thick lace. Not to be found in my area.

Try Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/search?q=lace+fabric&ex=adwords&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=sem&utm_geo=US&utm_term=lace+fabric_Exact&utm_campaign=adobe_supplies&utm_ag=fabric-yardage&ef_id=U7ly%40gAABMxqqQ7L%3A20140708025915%3As

There's a red halfway down the page.

Also, think about crocheted or lace tablecloths. You might get some great fabric out of two large tablecloths.

Forget the red! I want the royal blue about a third of the way down that $40/yard! :eek:

Forget the red! I want the royal blue about a third of the way down that $40/yard! :eek:

HA! I know; it's stuff to drool over, isn't it?

This royal blue has the chiffon facing on it. With 250 pages it's like a lace wonderland:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/117217577/lace-fabric-chiffon-backing-fabric-3d?ref=sr_gallery_27&ga_search_query=lace+fabric&ga_ex=adwords&ga_utm_source=bing&ga_utm_medium=sem&ga_utm_geo=US&ga_utm_term=lace+fabric_Exact&ga_utm_campaign=adobe_supplies&ga_utm_ag=fabric-yardage&ga_ef_id=U7ly%40gAABMxqqQ7L%3A20140708025915%3As&ga_page=5&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

Edited by pcur

I still have twelve fleece jackets to put embroidery on. I did but a new machine last week. I must be out of my mind. Another Viking with all the bells. My old Viking had a floppy drive this one has the stick (usb). I wish I had brought this before the brought the one for my Fl. home. Because I would have brought the old machine down there. My collection of sewing machine is getting larger. The old Designer one is about 15 year old. Love the machine but with the floppy drive it was getting out dated. It does not have much monetary value, so I will hold on to it.

Edited by geocruiser

Any one familiar with Mood Fabric? I was googling fabric stores in LA (since I'm going out there later this month) and ran across an M and L and the website for Mood. A better sewer than I am absolutely raved over Mood and tells me I have to go. Is it worth driving through LA traffic?

I did find a couple of pieces of fabric I would love to have dresses made out of. I told hubby that we were in trouble if I do actually go there.

Any one familiar with Mood Fabric? I was googling fabric stores in LA (since I'm going out there later this month) and ran across an M and L and the website for Mood. A better sewer than I am absolutely raved over Mood and tells me I have to go. Is it worth driving through LA traffic?

I did find a couple of pieces of fabric I would love to have dresses made out of. I told hubby that we were in trouble if I do actually go there.

The only thing I know bout Mood is its the store they go to on Project Runway to buy their fabric. It looks pretty amazing! I wish I still lived in LA so I could check it out!