Straw Market in Nassau

HiLo71

I was in Nassau about 37 years ago and remember a Straw Market. Does anyone know if it still exists?:confused:

When you were there, was the Straw Market in the middle of the town center with colorful umbrellas covering the vendors who were weaving baskets and carving wooden items?

That's the way it was on my first visit to Nassau 50 years ago when I was very young. It looks nothing like that now. :o

I was in Nassau about 37 years ago and remember a Straw Market. Does anyone know if it still exists?:confused:

The straw market is still there...but now its a building...and they sell all kinds of hand made souvenirs..if however you are looking for the designer

knock off purses,...they are GONE...I asked a woman and she showed me a spot:D

The straw market is still there...but now its a building...and they sell all kinds of hand made souvenirs..if however you are looking for the designer

knock off purses,...they are GONE...I asked a woman and she showed me a spot:D

The knock off handbags are now illegal in the bahamas.. to sell as well as to purchase. there is a stiff fine and jail time if caught. Don't ruin your vacation over something so trivial. We now have undercover cops looking for this.. and other illegal things..

:cool:

Actually, don't think the OP (HiLo71) has any interest whatsoever in "knock off" purses, etc.

Her interests seem to be in the locally made straw items and how the Straw Market has changed over the years.

My response wasn't to the OP..it was to the poster who was recommending seeking them out... illegally.

I was at the Straw Market last Friday . . . my advice? Skip.

Pricey (though you can negotiate) and literally everybody has the exact same stuff.

Best advice, take the Jitney to the Sheraton and enjoy your day. Either before or after entering, go across the street to the Daq Shack and get a fresh smoothie and while sipping walk a few of the shops over there . . . what you see there is 90% of the stuff you'll see at the Straw Market w/o the 1 hour + headache of walking that place

Thanks for the info scubagirrl, it's good to know the rules, as they are different in various countries. :)

another straw market question...will it be open on Christmas day? TIA

while I'm pretty sure the market is officially open, it's likely that you won't see alot of the vendors. This is a big holiday.. for everyone.. and the bahamas is a very christian.. church going community. So it will be hit or miss for this holiday. I'm sure you'll find enough vendors open to find a few trinkets.

The straw market is a must see for anyone who has never seen it before or if you haven't seen it in a long time but you can go up one aisle and see everything available.

Every vendor is basically selling the same thing :rolleyes:

I was at the Straw Market last Friday . . . my advice? Skip.

Pricey (though you can negotiate) and literally everybody has the exact same stuff.

Best advice, take the Jitney to the Sheraton and enjoy your day. Either before or after entering, go across the street to the Daq Shack and get a fresh smoothie and while sipping walk a few of the shops over there . . . what you see there is 90% of the stuff you'll see at the Straw Market w/o the 1 hour + headache of walking that place

Thanks for this information. I want to relax on vacation not fight the hoards of people and strolling with a fresh smoothie sound like the thing to do.

I enjoy the Straw Market. I buy DD a couple of pairs of earrings every time I stop. It has become sort of a tradition.

When I was there at the end of November, the stalls were along the waterfront. Looking forward to having a walk through the new building.

I'm so happy to hear that the counterfeit bags are no longer for sale.

while I'm pretty sure the market is officially open, it's likely that you won't see alot of the vendors. This is a big holiday.. for everyone.. and the bahamas is a very christian.. church going community. So it will be hit or miss for this holiday. I'm sure you'll find enough vendors open to find a few trinkets.

Thanks for the quick reply, scubagirrl :)

That's what I thought, if some are there then we'll shop and if not, we hope everyone enjoys their Christmas :D Thanks again for responding so quickly.

• 4 weeks later...

My daughter and I were in the straw market well over a year ago--my daughter loves to haggle prices and she's quite good at it--I just enjoyed watching her at work. She was able to get the price she wanted for a bag to help get our souvenirs home plus score a bracelet for a friend. The bag was a bit loud (bright yellow with fish on it) but I use it for our stuff on deck or when we hit the beach, since you can't miss the color!:o

Other than the straw market at the port, is there somewhere else that we could go where we could get handmade items made by the folks who are selling them? I realize that alot of the items at the straw market are "handmade", but when they're mass produced and every stall has the same items, it takes away some of the handmade feel to them, if you know what i mean.

I'd rather buy a small painting from some guy sitting on the side of the road painting them, or someone making the jewellry on the spot. Is there anything like this to be found in Nassau anymore?

I recommend the Plait Lady - it is local handmade woven baskets / water pitchers / other really cool items that are of much better quality than you have seen elsewhere. The Plait Lady herself owns a few stores so she probably won't be in the store when you are.

When I go back this December, I'm grabbing a water pitcher. The straw is woven so tight that the pitcher does not leak.

The only downside is that the shop is at Atlantis so you need to grab a taxi to get over there.

I recommend the Plait Lady - it is local handmade woven baskets / water pitchers / other really cool items that are of much better quality than you have seen elsewhere. The Plait Lady herself owns a few stores so she probably won't be in the store when you are.

When I go back this December, I'm grabbing a water pitcher. The straw is woven so tight that the pitcher does not leak.

The only downside is that the shop is at Atlantis so you need to grab a taxi to get over there.

Do you know where in Atlantis it's located? We're planning on going to the Blue Lagoon, which means we'll be over at the dock near Atlantis already to catch the ferry to Blue Lagoon.

I've googled the Plait Lady and it looks like the perfect store! thank you.

The Plait Lady is in the "Marina Village". Check out the map in my signature, it will be the red dot to the right on Paradise Island.

I did buy a basket last time I was there and it is great.

Archived