How many outfits to take?

violetta58

Hi

This is a question for all the ladies out there. I am off on the 25 night trip to New England / Canada in Sept , the longest cruise I have every done. How many dresses , tops etc should I take for the evenings. It looks like there is 10 formals .I appreciate I will have to use the dry cleaning service but not sure how much to take . Its ok for my husband as he just takes 2 suits!!

Any ideas from people who have done long trips wuld be very helpful!!

For a 24 day cruise Aug/Set I will take 11 evening dresses (Formal/Semi/Elegant). Of these dresses, one is black full length chemise, another is ditto in navy, another is ditto in dark red. The black will be worn 5 times , the navy and red ,4 four times each time with a different stole/bag/jewellery thus covering 13 nights.

The rest are patterned in some way, but even they will have stoles that compliment the dress/bag. One dress which I always wear for Ascot night is a muted multi pink chiffon, this will be worn for all three of the nights designated as Ascot Ball, it is worn with a pale pink lace stole, the bag is the same fabric as the dress.

All the dresses are polyester knit, and very plain in themselves, they can be rolled for packing . All are full length, the stoles vary from metallics, to chiffon ,to pashmina.

I try to keep my evening sandals to 4 colours, black, navy, pink and beige. For day I wear black sandals, with various coloured caftans, about 5, again can be rolled for packing. I have 4 slinky cardigans to top the caftans as I find the ship rather cool.

Your evening "themes" will be repeated several times during the cruise, as you are basically doing B2B2B. Mine is a 7 day, a 10 day and another 7 day.

All my dresses can be hand washed, and I carry a special hanger for this purpose, I use the sink for the washing, rinse under the shower and let the dress drip dry overnight.

If you use dry cleaning I think you will have to allow 48 hours to get it back, but not sure as I have never used that service.

Undies are rinsed out before bed each night in the sink, they are wrapped in a towel to remove most of the moisture and then and hung to dry on the line in the shower again they dry overnight.

I do not find this routine tiresome, as the clothes are not truly dirty, just need freshening up.

I think you will be joining QM2 Sept 14 in Southampton . I will be over halfway through my cruise at that time.

There is a roll call available , please join .We are a very small group at this time.

Lynn

Never been to USA so can't wait to go.:)

Make sure you get up early (and I mean EARLY :eek: ) to enjoy sailing into New York Harbor. Be up on the top deck, 13, near the funnel before the ship reaches the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge (there are pictures taken from Deck 13 of QM2 going under the bridge via the link below). You don't want to miss this!

Arriving at New York by sea is a very special moment, esp on your first visit to America. Beats flying in!

Bon Voyage!

If you can do long skirts and switch out tops that works wonders too. A basic color bottom (black, blue, red, green) maybe 2 of those and then several tops that will match both bottoms, you can make a lot of different looks with those basic pieces.

As Jimsgirl said, switch out shawls and jewelery as well and you'll really have a different look every evening. Besides, no one really notices what you are wearing other than your tablemates, and they will probably change with each segment so nothing will be 'old' to them.

Have a wonderful time!

Make sure you get up early (and I mean EARLY :eek: ) to enjoy sailing into New York Harbor. Be up on the top deck, 13, near the funnel before the ship reaches the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge (there are pictures taken from Deck 13 of QM2 going under the bridge via the link below). You don't want to miss this!

Arriving at New York by sea is a very special moment, esp on your first visit to America. Beats flying in!

Bon Voyage!

We intend to get up early to see the sail in!!. Do you know what time she sails in and do you know what the light be like on the morning of Sept 21st?

Thanks for your advice Sauer- kraut , I intend to take some black eveining trousers and many different tops .

:)

partial quote

We intend to get up early to see the sail in!!. Do you know what time she sails in and do you know what the light be like on the morning of Sept 21st?

:)

Violetta, sunrise on Sept 21 will be at 6:43am (sunset at 6:45pm), local time. -S.

As Salacia said, sunrise is at 0643.

On board, the day before you arrive, you'll be able to find out a quite accurate arrival time at the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge (not the time of docking of course), and I aim to be out of bed at least an hour before, to be on the safe side. If you've a balcony (esp on the starboard side) you can look ahead and see how close you are. This is what I said at the time of my first arrival on QM2 in New York…

"I got up, threw on a bathrobe and went out onto the balcony. The night was clear and mild. The sea surrounding the ship was lit up as, for the first time, as well as all the usual lights, they had turned on the lights that floodlight the hull of the ship. We must have looked spectacular! I gazed forward and there on the horizon was the glow of artificial lights. America! I dressed warmly in case of high winds. I stopped at the Kings Court, found a coffee machine and got something hot inside me. I went back to the cabin. I’d forgotten my camera (far too early for my brain to work). I made my way up 8 levels to deck 13. There, behind the thick glass windbreak, there were already half a dozen people. And I had thought that I was the only insane one. It was, of course, still pitch black, except for lights on the horizon and the ship, as dawn was still several hours away. To starboard I could see twinkling lights on Long Island glowing in the blackness. Astern, I could see the bright lights of a cruise ship, several miles back, also making for New York. Ahead and slightly to starboard, I could easily make out the towers of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. A large freighter, heading out to sea, stacked high with containers, passed by on the port side. I went back along the deck to the high platform (“deck 14”) with the flood-lit giant funnel towering over me and waited. More and more passengers came out onto this platform and deck 13. There was a cold wind up here, many were dressed for it. Several, however, were clad in thin shirts or blouses. A few looked as if they had come straight from one or other of the bars. We all looked cold. As we came, slowly, ever closer to the lights of Coney Island and Brooklyn, the bridge ahead of us appeared to grow ever bigger. By now there were several hundred people out on deck. The platform was packed. Deck 13, crowded. We glided slowly forward. Would we go safely under? Had they greased the underside of the bridge and the top of the funnel? Everyone, it seemed, had their arms stretched up, cameras in hand. The mast went under, phew. We all turned as one to hold our breath and watch as we slipped below the huge steel underside of the bridge above our heads. There was a fireworks display of camera flashes as the massive funnel…. also cleared the bridge. With less than twelve feet to spare. There was a spontaneous outburst of applause and we all breathed once more. Everyone was grinning or smiling. It was a wonderful experience and so worth getting out of bed early for".

Bon Voyage.

On board, the day before you arrive, you'll be able to find out a quite accurate arrival time at the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge (not the time of docking of course), and I aim to be out of bed at least an hour before, to be on the safe side. If you've a balcony (esp on the starboard side) you can look ahead and see how close you are. This is what I said at the time of my first arrival on QM2 in New York…

"I got up, threw on a bathrobe and went out onto the balcony. The night was clear and mild. The sea surrounding the ship was lit up as, for the first time, as well as all the usual lights, they had turned on the lights that floodlight the hull of the ship. We must have looked spectacular! I gazed forward and there on the horizon was the glow of artificial lights. America! I dressed warmly in case of high winds. I stopped at the Kings Court, found a coffee machine and got something hot inside me. I went back to the cabin. I’d forgotten my camera (far too early for my brain to work). I made my way up 8 levels to deck 13. There, behind the thick glass windbreak, there were already half a dozen people. And I had thought that I was the only insane one. It was, of course, still pitch black, except for lights on the horizon and the ship, as dawn was still several hours away. To starboard I could see twinkling lights on Long Island glowing in the blackness. Astern, I could see the bright lights of a cruise ship, several miles back, also making for New York. Ahead and slightly to starboard, I could easily make out the towers of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. A large freighter, heading out to sea, stacked high with containers, passed by on the port side. I went back along the deck to the high platform (“deck 14”) with the flood-lit giant funnel towering over me and waited. More and more passengers came out onto this platform and deck 13. There was a cold wind up here, many were dressed for it. Several, however, were clad in thin shirts or blouses. A few looked as if they had come straight from one or other of the bars. We all looked cold. As we came, slowly, ever closer to the lights of Coney Island and Brooklyn, the bridge ahead of us appeared to grow ever bigger. By now there were several hundred people out on deck. The platform was packed. Deck 13, crowded. We glided slowly forward. Would we go safely under? Had they greased the underside of the bridge and the top of the funnel? Everyone, it seemed, had their arms stretched up, cameras in hand. The mast went under, phew. We all turned as one to hold our breath and watch as we slipped below the huge steel underside of the bridge above our heads. There was a fireworks display of camera flashes as the massive funnel…. also cleared the bridge. With less than twelve feet to spare. There was a spontaneous outburst of applause and we all breathed once more. Everyone was grinning or smiling. It was a wonderful experience and so worth getting out of bed early for".

Bon Voyage.

Wow Your description is fantastic and really sets the scene.We have a port balcony,will we see the statue of liberty from there?

Wow Your description is fantastic and really sets the scene.We have a port balcony,will we see the statue of liberty from there?

Ooh! I was just about to ask the same... :)

Thank you :o . You may see the statue from your balcony, she does lie on the port side of the ship as she enters the harbor, but remember, QM2 will turn 180 degrees before arriving at the terminal.

Far better to be either up on the top of the ship, Deck 13 or, after passing under the bridge, quickly go down to Deck 7 and the promenade.

From either position you can quickly cross to either side of the ship, port or starboard, in order not to miss Lady Liberty.

You'll be amazed how fast the time goes between passing under the bridge and arriving at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

See here... QM2 ...only just!...

Here... QM2 ...with only a few feet to spare, the stack glides under...

Here... QM2 ...with only a few feet to spare...

And here... QM2 ...LADY LIBERTY comes into view...

Of course, if you miss anything, you can always do it on your next crossing to New York on QM2 :D .

Thanks again, very best wishes.

Hi,

We are booked on a:) 14 nighter in early August. I am busily sewing as many creations as I can manage, and enjoying every minute!

When else does one get the chance to really let your imagination run free?

So far I have four dresses sewn from vintage 1950/60's patterns with material from Bangkok, Shanghai and Florida.

I know that my wear per outfit will be short - but hey there is always Ebay!

Hi,

We are booked on a:) 14 nighter in early August. I am busily sewing as many creations as I can manage, and enjoying every minute!

So far I have four dresses sewn from vintage 1950/60's patterns with material from Bangkok, Shanghai and Florida.

Wonderful! Made to fit dresses.

Hi,

I did not say it in my posting, but all my dresses are also from "Lynn's Boutique", I know that this way it will be an original. Catalogues do have some nice dresses (saw a really lovely one last week ) but then you could walk into the Chart Room , only to see the same dress on two other passengers.

If you are like others you will be so smitten with cruising that your dresses will come out year after year. Ssssh don't tell anyone but my Ascot dress is 20 years old and has been on over 40 cruises, ( and I will be wearing it 3 times on during my 24 day trip in Aug/Sept)

Best wishes for a great cruise

Lynn

For a 24 day cruise Aug/Set I will take 11 evening dresses (Formal/Semi/Elegant). Of these dresses, one is black full length chemise, another is ditto in navy, another is ditto in dark red. The black will be worn 5 times , the navy and red ,4 four times each time with a different stole/bag/jewellery thus covering 13 nights.

The rest are patterned in some way, but even they will have stoles that compliment the dress/bag. One dress which I always wear for Ascot night is a muted multi pink chiffon, this will be worn for all three of the nights designated as Ascot Ball, it is worn with a pale pink lace stole, the bag is the same fabric as the dress.

All the dresses are polyester knit, and very plain in themselves, they can be rolled for packing . All are full length, the stoles vary from metallics, to chiffon ,to pashmina.

I try to keep my evening sandals to 4 colours, black, navy, pink and beige. For day I wear black sandals, with various coloured caftans, about 5, again can be rolled for packing. I have 4 slinky cardigans to top the caftans as I find the ship rather cool.

Your evening "themes" will be repeated several times during the cruise, as you are basically doing B2B2B. Mine is a 7 day, a 10 day and another 7 day.

All my dresses can be hand washed, and I carry a special hanger for this purpose, I use the sink for the washing, rinse under the shower and let the dress drip dry overnight.

If you use dry cleaning I think you will have to allow 48 hours to get it back, but not sure as I have never used that service.

Undies are rinsed out before bed each night in the sink, they are wrapped in a towel to remove most of the moisture and then and hung to dry on the line in the shower again they dry overnight.

I do not find this routine tiresome, as the clothes are not truly dirty, just need freshening up.

I think you will be joining QM2 Sept 14 in Southampton . I will be over halfway through my cruise at that time.

There is a roll call available , please join .We are a very small group at this time.

Lynn

Thank you Lynn for all the valuable information. :) I am not very good at picking, finding formal dresses, but your info was great. I like the idea of having a different "stole", and/or bag for each dress. Also liked the idea of cardigans. The dresses I have found are jersey material and seem to suit my shape better and they also roll to prevent wrinkles. Great idea about washing and drying the dresses. I would love to see pictures of your dresses, stoles, bags, cardigans, special hanger and caftans! In your second post I saw that you said Lynn's Boutique is where you got your dresses from...is there a website?

Barbara

alibabacruiser

Oh dear I am sorry if my posting misled you , "Lynns boutique" is simply my living room and my sewing machine.

I must confess that over the many years I have been travelling I have amassed a gret many dresses , stoles and bags (I often make these also), I promise myself I will not add to the number, but I am so weak willed that of course I do'

Have fun

partial quote

Violetta, sunrise on Sept 21 will be at 6:43am (sunset at 6:45pm), local time. -S.

We have several friends who sailed into NY on the QM2 in April and they said it could arrive there as early as 430!!!:eek:

They didn't see much anyway as there was so much fog they couldn't even see the Statue of Liberty only a slight green glow through the fog.

I hope we have better conditions when we arrive in October!

alibabacruiser

Oh dear I am sorry if my posting misled you , "Lynns boutique" is simply my living room and my sewing machine.

I must confess that over the many years I have been travelling I have amassed a gret many dresses , stoles and bags (I often make these also), I promise myself I will not add to the number, but I am so weak willed that of course I do'

Have fun

Thanks Lynn...I had a good laugh after the initial embarassment. I do wish I knew how to sew well enough to make clothes. I think it is wonderful that you can do it.

Barbara

Bon Voyage.

Fabulous job sharing your experience...I felt as if I were there right beside you! It's an amazing sight! We experienced it on the QM2 as we sailed out of NY heading for Southampton, and our experience was so similar except of course it was 4 in the afternoon, the sun was shining and we also got a lovely view of the Statue of Liberty!

I still get goosebumps thinking about it! That glimpse of the very beautiful Lady Liberty never gets old!

Fabulous job sharing your experience...I felt as if I were there right beside you! It's an amazing sight!

Thank you :o . Yes, an amazing sight and a not to-be-missed occasion. Even, on one arrival into New York last year on QM2, in pouring rain!

Yes, I've been up at 0400 to make certain not to miss it.

Thanks again :) .

Very best wishes and Bon Voyage for October!

Archived