Just back from the Freedom -7/8/12 - 7/15/12

The soda machines by the pool deck were for guests who purchased the soda package; so you would have to buy a mug when you board.

We bought the soda package last year on Oasis and the mug was already in our room. We did not have to pay extra for the mug.

I was under the impression that Giovanni's had replaced Porto's. Is that a correct assumption?

No, it is still Portofino's on the Freedom. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually replace it with a Giovanni's though. It was pretty empty the night we were there.

Most days there was a Caribbean steel drum/reggae type band playing by the pool. When there wasn't a band, or if they were on a break, music videos played on the large screen and tended to be very loud. I brought my IPod but couldn't even listen to it because the music videos were too loud. It was much quieter in the Solarium area, however. There were your typical contests (belly flop, six-pack and Weakest Link trivia) also. As far as other venues, there was an English Pub in the Promenade which had live entertainment and was quite lively. Vintages, a wine bar, was quieter but had very knowledgeable and friendly "winetenders" who will let you taste several wines so you find the perfect one. Wine tastings were also held a few times during the week. There was a pianist at the Schooner Bar and trivia contests were held there regularly. Parades and dance parties were held several nights on the Grand Promenade. There is no shortage of activities - you will have an amazing time!

Bummed to hear about the large screen on the pool deck. NOT a big fan of that at all! I go on vacation to be AWAY from TV, phones, etc.!

Just FYI, mugs are also available the first day, outside the Windjammer I believe.

Entertainment is awesome. Don't miss the 80s "Name that Tune" followed by the 80s dance party in Studio B. Our group won the coveted spots of performing Madonna, Prince, and Billy Idol at the dance party. Had a great time, took me right back to my high school days! I also thought the music in the Bull and Bear was great but we never actually sat down and enjoyed it, so it's on the list for the next cruise.

I miss the free drink stations in the main pool area, they need to bring that back. Ice cream was great there though.

We love Portofino, and had no trouble getting a reservation, we went during the first formal night and they treated us wonderfully, gave us each a free drink and "Spin to Win" tickets, I guess they like the business during formal night.

OP, I am really curious about disembarkation. We had a disaster with our luggage being on 4 different carousels, it took two hours to find it all.

Glad you had a great time! I would sail her again in a heartbeat, just to do all the things I missed!

Bummed to hear about the large screen on the pool deck. NOT a big fan of that at all! I go on vacation to be AWAY from TV, phones, etc.!

Just go to the pool in the Solarium area and you will have peace and quiet. That is one of the nicer things about larger ships...much more choice and always easy to find a quiet place if you want one.

We are all such different people with different likes and dislikes.:D

I am HAPPY to hear that RCI now has the big screens on the pool deck. That was one of the things I loved about Princess, and was very happy when I heard they were now on the Freedom! I hope they play movies at night.......

One of my best memories of our last cruise.... they were playing the Wizard of Oz one night. They handed out little bags with Wizard items/souveneirs in it, and they were handing out bags of popcorn and blankets. My DH and I snuggled under a blanket under the stars and watched an old classic eating popcorn. It was awesome!!:p

Just FYI, mugs are also available the first day, outside the Windjammer I believe.

Entertainment is awesome. Don't miss the 80s "Name that Tune" followed by the 80s dance party in Studio B. Our group won the coveted spots of performing Madonna, Prince, and Billy Idol at the dance party. Had a great time, took me right back to my high school days! I also thought the music in the Bull and Bear was great but we never actually sat down and enjoyed it, so it's on the list for the next cruise.

I miss the free drink stations in the main pool area, they need to bring that back. Ice cream was great there though.

We love Portofino, and had no trouble getting a reservation, we went during the first formal night and they treated us wonderfully, gave us each a free drink and "Spin to Win" tickets, I guess they like the business during formal night.

OP, I am really curious about disembarkation. We had a disaster with our luggage being on 4 different carousels, it took two hours to find it all.

Glad you had a great time! I would sail her again in a heartbeat, just to do all the things I missed!

Disembarkation wasn't as smooth as embarkation but certainly wasn't horrible. After they called our luggage number, we stood in line at least 20 minutes before they let us off the ship. Customs stopped all pedestrian traffic off the ship because, I believe, it was too crowded in the terminal. Once we were let off, everything went smoothly - all our six pieces of luggage arrived on the carousel in a row! We made an 11:55am out of Orlando with PLENTY of time to spare.

We are going to be on FOS August 12 and we are so excited! Do you happen to know if they sold the thermal coolers of beer?

No, they did not sell the thermal coolers of beer. If they did, my DH certainly would have purchased one, or two or three!

We are all such different people with different likes and dislikes.:D

I am HAPPY to hear that RCI now has the big screens on the pool deck. That was one of the things I loved about Princess, and was very happy when I heard they were now on the Freedom! I hope they play movies at night.......

One of my best memories of our last cruise.... they were playing the Wizard of Oz one night. They handed out little bags with Wizard items/souveneirs in it, and they were handing out bags of popcorn and blankets. My DH and I snuggled under a blanket under the stars and watched an old classic eating popcorn. It was awesome!!:p

Well, now that sounds nice! See, that wouldn't be so bad! I guess during the day I'd rather hear the steel drum guys though! At night, that would be fun! My kids would probably love it!

No, they did not sell the thermal coolers of beer. If they did, my DH certainly would have purchased one, or two or three!

Bummer I was really looking forward to the thermal cooler/tote that they were talking about on an earlier thread. I loved the idea of having the cooler in our room with beer so we did not have to refill ice and beer so often. you could then take the cooler to the beach with you so you could use it.

My wife and I are sailing on FOS on 8/26 to the Eastern Caribbean. You mentioned above that Ice Tea, water, and strawberry-kiwi water were free? Even if we don't buy the soda/fountain package? Neither my wife and I drink soda/pop but we love Ice Tea.

My husband and I were on FOS Eastern Caribbean in Feb and I love Iced Tea too, drink it all the time at home, on the Freedom, not so much! :rolleyes: Loved the lemonade though. Drank lots of it! :D

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I appreciate it. Glad to hear you had a good time on your cruise. If I may, I would like to ask a question about the cabanas at Labadee. How did you secure one? How much did it cost? Is the cost per person or per cabana? How far in advance did you book?

Many thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I appreciate it. Glad to hear you had a good time on your cruise. If I may, I would like to ask a question about the cabanas at Labadee. How did you secure one? How much did it cost? Is the cost per person or per cabana? How far in advance did you book?

Many thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions.

We booked our cabana online through the shore excursion link on the RCI website. Be persistant, we tried to book two months in advance and it stated "inquire onboard", same thing happened at one month. Luckily, I took one last look about three weeks before our cruise and it said I could book a cabana over-the-water at Nellie's Beach. I jumped on it!

The cabana was $200 total, not per person. It included a seating area, ceiling fan, two chaises on the deck, towels, a cooler filled with water bottles, float mats, upgraded buffet with shrimp and steak and a cabana attendant. The cabana attendant took drink orders and even saved us a table at the buffet! I can't take the sun for 6 hours straight so the cabana was a lifesaver for me. There was also a ladder into the water for direct access. Best money spent on the entire cruise!

We booked our cabana online through the shore excursion link on the RCI website. Be persistant, we tried to book two months in advance and it stated "inquire onboard", same thing happened at one month. Luckily, I took one last look about three weeks before our cruise and it said I could book a cabana over-the-water at Nellie's Beach. I jumped on it!

The cabana was $200 total, not per person. It included a seating area, ceiling fan, two chaises on the deck, towels, a cooler filled with water bottles, float mats, upgraded buffet with shrimp and steak and a cabana attendant. The cabana attendant took drink orders and even saved us a table at the buffet! I can't take the sun for 6 hours straight so the cabana was a lifesaver for me. There was also a ladder into the water for direct access. Best money spent on the entire cruise!

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly I appreciate it. We will be 4 adults and one child age 7, will there be sufficient seating for all of us?

Reason I am not a fan is last time I was on the FR,I was sitting on the side of the pool talking with a friend.Along came Graham to do the bellyflop contest.He made the 5 people closest to where he was the judges.......yup,I was one!! Since they show those contests on the big screen as they are happening,they zoomed in on the judges SEVERAL times...........Nothing like seeing yourself in a bathing suit larger than life!:eek::eek::eek::eek: Not a pretty sight:(:(

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly I appreciate it. We will be 4 adults and one child age 7, will there be sufficient seating for all of us?

Yes, you can have up to six people in the cabana (they give you up to 6 wristbands so you can gain admittance to the buffet on Barefoot Beach). We had two adults plus 19 yr. old son and 14 yr. old daughter and there was plenty of room. There is seating for five in the cabana and two chaises as well.

HI I just got off the same ship :o) looeved IT!!! DO you remember the names of the cruiser directors.. the assistant ones? I have only a couple and wanted to send some thank you's ! I know one of them was leaving... let me know thanks!!

HI I just got off the same ship :o) looeved IT!!! DO you remember the names of the cruiser directors.. the assistant ones? I have only a couple and wanted to send some thank you's ! I know one of them was leaving... let me know thanks!!

All I remember is Graham Seymour, who is the Cruise Director. I'm sure if you forwarded him a thank you for someone and describe them or their role, he would make sure it got to the correct person. He is probably their boss!

Well, now that sounds nice! See, that wouldn't be so bad! I guess during the day I'd rather hear the steel drum guys though! At night, that would be fun! My kids would probably love it!

Agreed! A nice steel drum band thru the day, and a nice movie at night..... :)

We sailed her in April and are on her again August 26th. Do any of you on her recently remember any of the sports staff? We had such a great staff and they were so great with my younger son and he's dying to know if any of his "crew" are still on her.

Looking to see if Sergio, Andrew, Gaga, Bex, or any of the others we met are still there.

!

Ports - Really loved Labadee. Rented an Over The Water Cabana at Nellie's Beach. BEST IDEA EVER. We were able the swim, relax, get out of the sun and do it in comfort. Float mats were included along with a cooler filled with large bottle of Evian water.

I would be pleased to answer any questions!

Hello Springgrl! I have been asking this question but no one can seem to answer me, so I thought I would try you! :) I just booked an "Over the Water Cabana on Nellies Beach" for $200.00. However, in the description, it says "Nestled on the HILLSIDE above Nellies Beach". The other cabanas are listed as "Hillside Cabanas" for $175. Can you please explain to me what you ended up with? Since it sounds like you rented the same type I rented. Even though in the title it says "Over the Water cabana, the description says "nestled HILLSIDE over Nellies Beach". Any help (or photos!) would be appreciated. Thanks!

Archived