Just back from the Freedom -7/8/12 - 7/15/12

We just returned from a fabulous cruise on the Freedom. The ship is beautiful and well-maintained with a friendly, service-oriented crew. Having only cruised on the RCI Voyager class ships before, we did have some concern about crowds but, even though the ship was near or at capacity, it seemed very uncrowded! If anyone has any questions, ask away, I'd be happy to answer anything I can. Here are a few of my observations:

Boarding - Probably one of the smoothest and quickest boardings I have experienced in 12+ cruises. For RCI, we are only Gold Members but I was pleasantly surprised that there is a priority boarding line for Gold as well. Rooms were not available for occupancy until 1pm but we enjoyed exploring the ship and eating until then!

Rooms - We had a balcony cabin on the 7th deck and our children were across from us in a promenade cabin. Since they are teens, the two bathrooms were a lifesaver. Great Cabin Attendant who put up with my wonderful, but messy, daughter!

Food - My family thinks the Windjammer burger tastes just like White Castle. I consider this a negative but they think it is a positive. To each his own! Food in the MDR was just fine - some nights really good and others just ok. Contrary to what some have posted, we did not find it "horrible" at all and anytime I don't have to cook is ok with me. We ate at Portofino and Chops as well. Both were delicious but I would give the edge to Chops for both food and service. Really loved the homemade granola bars at Cafe Promenade as well. My daughter had the soda package and in addition to regular sodas, they also made her Shirley Temples. Machines were available at the pool for self-service as well. Iced tea, strawberry-kiwi water and plain water were free.

Ports - Really loved Labadee. Rented an Over The Water Cabana at Nellie's Beach. BEST IDEA EVER. We were able the swim, relax, get out of the sun and do it in comfort. Float mats were included along with a cooler filled with large bottle of Evian water. Jamaica was entertaining a we saw an interesting show from our balcony. A female passenger apparently got so inebriated during a shore excursion, she kept falling in the courtyard by the shops. After her third fall, they brought her a wheelchair to get her through security. She then proceeded to get up, yell and dance with the steel drum band on the pier. Some of the ship's crew tried to assist her onto the ship but she decided to go it on her own and face planted right on the gangway. You never know what you'll see!

Shows - We are not much for attending the shows but did see the ice show. As usual, it is wonderful and shouldn't be missed.

I would be pleased to answer any questions!

We are sailing Freedom in December and we can't wait!

I did have a question though--when you say there are machines at the pool for self-service, are those soda machines (for ones of us that buy the soda package)? Freedom will only be our 2nd RCCL cruise, so I'm still learning something new every day!:)

I guess you were speaking about the new Coke machines that they are bringing out fleet wide? I have a question do you have to have a coke card to be able to get a Coke at that fountain machine, or can anyone get a drink?

The soda machines by the pool are for people who purchased the soda package. You need to use the thermal mugs you get when you sign up for the package. The mugs have a chip inside them that "talks" to the machine.

Thanks! Hubby will love that!!

PhotoBob is right, you must use the thermal mug you get with the soda package to activate the machine. If you try to use a regular cup, nothing will come out. These are not the Coke Freestyle machines though.

Ridgecrest, I did not see a Zumba Class on the schedule. Pilates, body sculpting were available though.

Yes, Graham Seymour was the CD. However, I believe he is headed for vacation July 29th. He was great at the Rule Brittania promenade party.

From another thread:

Freedom OTS - Graham Seymour *off July 29th returning Sept 30th. Staying through to Feb 13th 2013 *Drew Devine covering Graham's break (Confirmed by Graham himself on this thread 4/29 post #307 and #309)

My daughter had the soda package and in addition to regular sodas, they also made her Shirley Temples. Machines were available at the pool for self-service as well. Iced tea, strawberry-kiwi water and plain water were free.

I would be pleased to answer any questions!

My wife and I are sailing on FOS on 8/26 to the Eastern Caribbean. You mentioned above that Ice Tea, water, and strawberry-kiwi water were free? Even if we don't buy the soda/fountain package? Neither my wife and I drink soda/pop but we love Ice Tea.

Also very sad to hear that Graham Seymour won't be on the ship while we cruise, he was a great cruise director when we cruise RCL before.

How was the entertainment - band at the pool (hopefully a reggae Caribbean band), pool activities on sea days, pub and schooner bar and other venues?

Most days there was a Caribbean steel drum/reggae type band playing by the pool. When there wasn't a band, or if they were on a break, music videos played on the large screen and tended to be very loud. I brought my IPod but couldn't even listen to it because the music videos were too loud. It was much quieter in the Solarium area, however. There were your typical contests (belly flop, six-pack and Weakest Link trivia) also. As far as other venues, there was an English Pub in the Promenade which had live entertainment and was quite lively. Vintages, a wine bar, was quieter but had very knowledgeable and friendly "winetenders" who will let you taste several wines so you find the perfect one. Wine tastings were also held a few times during the week. There was a pianist at the Schooner Bar and trivia contests were held there regularly. Parades and dance parties were held several nights on the Grand Promenade. There is no shortage of activities - you will have an amazing time!

My wife and I are sailing on FOS on 8/26 to the Eastern Caribbean. You mentioned above that Ice Tea, water, and strawberry-kiwi water were free? Even if we don't buy the soda/fountain package? Neither my wife and I drink soda/pop but we love Ice Tea.

Also very sad to hear that Graham Seymour won't be on the ship while we cruise, he was a great cruise director when we cruise RCL before.

Yes, Ice Tea, water and strawberry-kiwi water were free - no soda package required. Ice tea is available in the Windjammer and, I believe, in the Main Dining Room as well. It is not usually available at the bars.

You don't happen to remember if Coke Zero was available from the soda machine, do you? I asked in another thread and one person said "Yes" and another said "No". That would be a "make or break" thing for me ordering the soda package for my October cruise on Freedom. I understand by that time they may have the Freestyle machines on board, so it might be different. I'd just like to know the situation right now.

You don't happen to remember if Coke Zero was available from the soda machine, do you? I asked in another thread and one person said "Yes" and another said "No". That would be a "make or break" thing for me ordering the soda package for my October cruise on Freedom. I understand by that time they may have the Freestyle machines on board, so it might be different. I'd just like to know the situation right now.

No, Coke Zero was definitely not available. We would have noticed as we like it too.

Archived