Reflection hump balcony

saphir

someone tell me if a "hump balcony" has an obstructed view? I will be on the Reflection and I look at the cabin 1132 C2. Thanks for your help.

No obstructed view. Huge balcony. I would go ahead and book that cabin.

Thank you. is this type of balcony is as a tunnel, which makes the darkest House?

I don't know where you read that, but it's a bunch of crap. I've never heard of anybody who was disappointed with the huge balconies on the hump or had any issues you describe. In fact, they are coveted. If there is such an opinion of a tunnel/darkest house, it's a 1 in 100,000. :eek:

No dark house, you may be in the shade from time to time depending on where the sun is and the direction you are sailing to, but that is the same for all balcony. Enjoy it, you've got nothing to worry about.

Edited by Seabreeze8

Thank you. is this type of balcony is as a tunnel, which makes the darkest House?

Maybe this is what you are wondering about?

celebrity-solstice-balcony-9192-kimcheeboy.jpg

This is the caption on the CruiseCritic page this image is linked to: http://www.cruisecritic.com/slideshows/?ID=334&photo=7&StartRow=1

The Cabin: The Tunnel

The Ships: Celebrity Solstice, Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Silhouette

It's basically a hump variation, but the angled balcony (9192) on Celebrity's Solstice-class quartet, taken by kimcheeboy, is unusually enclosed. For those intent on mixing privacy with sea breezes, it certainly fits the bill, but not everyone is convinced. "Sorry, but I love bright, open cabins," writes Presto2. " I would be gutted if I walked into this."

Edited by boogs

Maybe this is what you are wondering about?

celebrity-solstice-balcony-9192-kimcheeboy.jpg

This is the caption on the CruiseCritic page this image is linked to: http://www.cruisecritic.com/slideshows/?ID=334&photo=7&StartRow=1

The Cabin: The Tunnel

The Ships: Celebrity Solstice, Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Silhouette

It's basically a hump variation, but the angled balcony (9192) on Celebrity's Solstice-class quartet, taken by kimcheeboy, is unusually enclosed. For those intent on mixing privacy with sea breezes, it certainly fits the bill, but not everyone is convinced. "Sorry, but I love bright, open cabins," writes Presto2. " I would be gutted if I walked into this."

Can someone tell me if the same cabin location one deck down (8160 starboard or 8197 portside) would be also enclosed or is this only on deck 9 ?

Can someone tell me if the same cabin location one deck down (8160 starboard or 8197 portside) would be also enclosed or is this only on deck 9 ?

Should be an identical arrangement for all decks.

We had cabin 8157 on the Silhouette and have the same cabin one deck up nest year, since we just loved it. I am assuming your cabin is very similar to it. The balcony was not dark. the photos can be deceiving due to the back light. Here are two photos of our balcony. You can see how much darker it looks when looking out rather than in.

Sil_OnShip_IMG_6477.jpg

Sil_OnShip_IMG_5200.jpg

• 2 years later...
We had cabin 8157 on the Silhouette and have the same cabin one deck up nest year, since we just loved it. I am assuming your cabin is very similar to it. The balcony was not dark. the photos can be deceiving due to the back light. Here are two photos of our balcony. You can see how much darker it looks when looking out rather than in.

Sil_OnShip_IMG_6477.jpg

Sil_OnShip_IMG_5200.jpg

Hi there I'm going on celebrity reflection March 14, 2015 I have cabin 8197 is it the same as the picture you posted? Is it on port side! Thx

Hi there I'm going on celebrity reflection March 14, 2015 I have cabin 8197 is it the same as the picture you posted? Is it on port side! Thx

Your cabin is on the front hump and is looking backward. It looks like you should have a similar size balcony; but you need someone who really knows to answer your question.

Sorry, I have to disagree. We did not care for them because we felt that it made the cabin very dark and gloomy inside. Walking past cabins that had a standard size balcony, they always looked so much sunnier and brighter than ours. However, I realize that this is a minority opinion.

You should probably be aware that the pictures of the 'tunnel" balcony were taken with a special lens. They do not look like that in real life. They will always be our first choice. Absolutely loved them.

Maybe the lens distorted the length slightly due to the "fishbowl" effect some of them have, but the lens didn't add the darker shadows near the door. There is not doubt that a deeper balcony will allow less light into the cabin for the simple reason the cabin is further away from the source of the light. That is simple physics, and physics is a non-debatable set of scientific facts. :D

Sorry, I have to disagree. We did not care for them because we felt that it made the cabin very dark and gloomy inside. Walking past cabins that had a standard size balcony, they always looked so much sunnier and brighter than ours. However, I realize that this is a minority opinion.

Count me in your minority club. I prefer light, natural light, and even at home we have a house with lots of windows that we keep uncovered most of the day. To me, having that larger balcony is not as important as having a sunny and brighter cabin interior. I'm guessing that those people who "love" the larger balconies do so because they are forced to spend more time out there because their cabins are so gloomy inside. ;)

Edited by sloopsailor

[quote name=sloopsailor;

Count me in your minority club. I prefer light' date=' natural light, and even at home we have a house with lots of windows that we keep uncovered most of the day. To me, having that larger balcony is not as important as having a sunny cabin and brighter interior.[/quote]

Very interesting. We have lots of windows too, and the very first thing in the morning all the curtains get opened, windows too most of the year, and the lovely light pours in. When I go to my kids' homes and see the drapes/blinds closed in the daytime it makes me nuts. Glad to know there is a kindred spirit out there!

Lol, I say to all the folks claiming it is a tunnel

A HUGE HEARTFELT THANK YOU !!

All the more for me :D

These oversized midship angled hump balconies (S-Class) and the oversized aft sunset balconies (M-Class) are to die for...

Unless one's cabin is on the deck directly under "the overhang" from the Oceanview Cafe or Pool Deck, then all theses balconies have a fabulous mix of shade & sun (front end is open to above)

And FABULOUS views (nothing obstructed at all)

The oversized balcony often means the added perk of extra furniture as well (example on The Summit we had not only the 2 Chairs, 2 Footstools & the Standard Coffee Table that comes in Concirge Class, but our C1 also had a Dining Table & Seating for 4... Fantastic unexpected perk)

We never found our Staterooms on either Ship Class to be overly dark in the daytime hours... If anything it was just perfect, as we could leave the curtains open to enjoy the view and not come back to an overheated cabin from the afternoon sun (something that cannot be said for all cabins)

I am definitely an oversized balcony fan. For us there is no downside

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Lol, I say to all the folks claiming it is a tunnel

A HUGE HEARTFELT THANK YOU !!

All the more for me :D

These oversized midship angled hump balconies (S-Class) and the oversized aft sunset balconies (M-Class) are to die for...

Unless one's cabin is on the deck directly under "the overhang" from the Oceanview Cafe or Pool Deck, then all theses balconies have a fabulous mix of shade & sun (front end is open to above)

And FABULOUS views (nothing obstructed at all)

The oversized balcony often means the added perk of extra furniture as well (example on The Summit we had not only the 2 Chairs, 2 Footstools & the Standard Coffee Table that comes in Concirge Class, but our C1 also had a Dining Table & Seating for 4... Fantastic unexpected perk)

We never found our Staterooms on either Ship Class to be overly dark in the daytime hours... If anything it was just perfect, as we could leave the curtains open to enjoy the view and not come back to an overheated cabin from the afternoon sun (something that cannot be said for all cabins)

I am definitely an oversized balcony fan. For us there is no downside

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

"Nothing obstructed at all". Not quite. Another aspect of the over rated angled balconies is that the view is restricted to about 140 degrees as opposed to 180 degrees on the flat hump balconies. That means the angled balconies can only see forward to partially to the rear, or to the rear and partially to the front. For an example, here is what one angled balcony patron has to deal with when we were approaching the spectacular Panama Canal locks on our Infinity cruise:

Cabin%208046.JPG

The cabin to his right could not even see forward at all!!

A balcony on the flat can see the complete side of the ship forward and aft. There you can see not only where you are going, but where you have been. Spotting something in the distance as you approach it then watch it pass by and then recede to the rear is what I much prefer than having the view restricted as on the angled balconies.

Also, on S-class ships, we prefer the beds-by-the-balcony cabins on the flat. We can lay in bed and see the water passing by. The deeper balcony cabins place the railing too far away from the interior of the cabin and the view of the water is minimized as you need to look down a narrow "corridor" to see it.

I am certainly grateful that there are people who insist on only having those angled balconies. That makes less competition for those much sunnier, brighter, and nicer cabins on the flat. ;)

Edited by fortinweb

"Nothing obstructed at all". Not quite. Another aspect of the over rated angled balconies is that the view is restricted to about 140 degrees as opposed to 180 degrees on the flat hump balconies. That means the angled balconies can only see forward to partially to the rear, or to the rear and partially to the front. A balcony on the flat can see the complete side of the ship forward and aft. There you can see not only where you are going, but where you have been. Spotting something in the distance as you approach it then watch it pass by and then recede to the rear is what I much prefer than having the view restricted as on the angled balconies.

Also, we prefer the beds by the balcony cabins on the flat. We can lay in bed and see the water passing by. The deeper balcony cabins place the railing too far away from the interior of the cabin and the view of the water is minimized as you need to look down a narrow "corridor" to see it.

I am certainly grateful that there are people who insist on only having those angled balconies. That makes less competition for those much sunnier, brighter, and nicer cabins on the flat. ;)

We each have our own reasons for picking a cabin. The hump cabins I get with large balconies can look directly Dow to the water and have a greater than 180 degree view. Meant of the regular balcony cabins have their view obstructed by the humps as well as below by the life boat covers.

Maybe this pic tells the story better

ry%3D400

This is from the Solstice, and we have stayed in 9296 and loved it.

In December we are on Soltice again and we will be in 9237 which is on Port side but same as 9292.. so balcony is a little larger.... just as well as there will be 4 of us this time. Hope we can somehow snare some extra chairs. :D

cheers

We each have our own reasons for picking a cabin. The hump cabins I get with large balconies can look directly Dow to the water and have a greater than 180 degree view.

More than 180 degrees? On a slanted balcony? That is physically impossible. Unless you are counting the view into your own cabin. :D

There is no way you can look all the way forward AND all the way aft on one of those balconies without having to peer around the partition of the first cabin located on the flat of the hump. Just look at the photo above for proof!

Meant of the regular balcony cabins have their view obstructed by the humps as well as below by the life boat covers.

I was talking about the cabins on the flat of the hump, not the cabins on the narrower areas of the ship, as you are now doing. THOSE in the flat can't have their views obstructed by the humps because THEY ARE ON THE FLAT OF THE HUMP. They also look straight down onto the water and not onto lifeboats.

Let's stay on point instead of bringing in cabins we weren't even talking about to support your preferences. Otherwise, if we are allowed to bring in unrelated cabins into the arguement, I'll start arguing that my balcony at home is much bigger than the balcony on the cabins you prefer, so it is better. :D

Edited by fortinweb

2105 on the Solstice for 17 nights in October and can't wait. Rather than me trying to cut and paste stuff, Google 2106 to get some amazing pictures of the balcony. You will be sorry you passed it up!

2106 is on the starboard side but identical to 2105 on the port side of the ship.

Edited by Theodorable