Is buying a wine package worth the $?

My family will be traveling on FOS in November. My husband and I like to drink wine and would probably end up drinking 1-2 glasses at dinner each night. My question is this...is it worth it to buy a package that would include a bottle/day? Can we drink some of this in our rooms (especially if we don't finish it?).

My family will be traveling on FOS in November. My husband and I like to drink wine and would probably end up drinking 1-2 glasses at dinner each night. My question is this...is it worth it to buy a package that would include a bottle/day? Can we drink some of this in our rooms (especially if we don't finish it?).

Whether the package is worth it depends on your specific selection of wine. Depending on the package level (Gold, Platinum, or Diamond) you purchase, and the wine you choose, you could save money, or you might not. Search for a thread called something like "Wine Package Over Analysis". The poster did an excellent job of displaying each wine in each package and whether you save money or not.

Yes, you can take unfinished (or full) bottles of wine back to your stateroom.

If you are planning to drink a couple of bottles, yes...it's worth buying them thru the package...you get a slight price break. Wine is SOOO expensive on the ship, any savings is worth it! I know they sell their wine for about 3-4 times the price you'd pay at home.

For our first couple cruises my husband would always purchase the wine package and we shared it at dinner and sometimes during the week. We found as time went on we would have bottles leftover and brought them home. It wasn't because we didn't drink much either. We just found that we'd have drinks during the day and many times during the evening, we didn't want much wine. Now that we buy it by the glass as we go, we find it saves us a little. We also take advantage of the bogo coupons for wine in the coupon book, I can't remember if we both got one or two each, but every little bit helps. If you find that you like having it in the room during the evening and will drink it, then I say go for the package. We've also found on the Freedom we can purchase a bottle of wine at Vintages and they put it in a wine bucket and let us take it to our room. Granted, it's expensive doing it this way, but for one bottle it was a treat. Have a great cruise. The Freedom is an AWESOME ship!

Whether the package is worth it depends on your specific selection of wine. Depending on the package level (Gold, Platinum, or Diamond) you purchase, and the wine you choose, you could save money, or you might not. Search for a thread called something like "Wine Package Over Analysis". The poster did an excellent job of displaying each wine in each package and whether you save money or not.

Yes, you can take unfinished (or full) bottles of wine back to your stateroom.

This is news to me. I actually thought that the one place you couldnt bring it to was the stateroom. Good to know

If you are planning to drink a couple of bottles, yes...it's worth buying them thru the package...you get a slight price break. Wine is SOOO expensive on the ship, any savings is worth it! I know they sell their wine for about 3-4 times the price you'd pay at home.

You mean 3-4 times the grocery store price, or 3-4 times what you would pay at a bar or restaurant?

I used to be a bar manager at a hotel, and our standard was that we priced a glass at whatever we paid for the bottle. Our markup was right around 3-4x. The prices I've seen posted here seem right in line with what I would expect pay at any restaurant that served the same wines.

You mean 3-4 times the grocery store price, or 3-4 times what you would pay at a bar or restaurant?

I used to be a bar manager at a hotel, and our standard was that we priced a glass at whatever we paid for the bottle. Our markup was right around 3-4x. The prices I've seen posted here seem right in line with what I would expect pay at any restaurant that served the same wines.

I agree. In fact, I find that on the more expensive wines, Royal's wine pricing is less of a markup than a typical big city restaurant.

This is news to me. I actually thought that the one place you couldnt bring it to was the stateroom. Good to know

Sure, a bottle of wine in the stateroom is no problem at all. You don't have to have a wine package - you can purchase a single bottle at one of the bars and they will open it and give you glasses. I've never done this, but I've read here that you can order a bottle of wine from room service also.

I am getting a little confused here. I just read that you can't purchase wine packages on NOS. :confused:

Where did you read this? The wine packages have been available on all Royal ships.

Directly to your question: NO...We have learned, voer the years, that we would prefer to buy a more expensive bottle of quality wine than the package, which does not include many good/great wines.

We send maybe the same, or a bit more, but we enjoy the better quality wine.

If the wines that you would probably order by the glass, are the ones in the package, definitely consider it.

If you don't finish a bottle that particular night, they will either hold it for you until the next night or you can take it with you. Also, you can take a fresh bottle back to your cabin.

If you have any unused bottles at the end of the cruise you can take them home with you.

I have done all of the above.

If you plan to drink wine every night or even most nights, you're better off with the package than purchasing by the bottle. As others have said, you can save the bottle for the next night or take it to your room.

Why would you NOT choose the package? If you plan to drink no more than one glass per night total (not per person). At that rate, your bottle will last 4+ nights and might not taste very good after 3-4 nights. You're better off purchasing by the glass. Or, if you prefer a more premium (higher cost) bottle than is on the package list.

If you're a wine drinker and not a wine snob, the package will save you a bit of money. However, note that the package is priced to deal with those who select the most expensive wines. Consider which wines you plan to choose -- and their cost by the bottle -- when deciding whether to go with a package or by the separate bottle.

I am also deciding whether to choose the wine package. Are there many more wines that are not in the packages that are on the wine list? I am new to the wine world (and enjoying my new found hobby) and haven't explored wines on previous cruises. I also understand that Vintages (we are going on FOS) has a daily special that you can purchase and take to the MDR. Is that true?

Whether it's worthwhile depends upon your habits. When my husband and I got it for the two of us, it was a waste. We ended up bringing some home, which totally negated any savings. Also, sometimes I wanted to order a mixed drink but felt obligated to drink the wine instead.

I suggest getting the smallest package. You can always order more later.

I would get it again . . . If we were traveling with a group and could share it, or if we could use it on a back-to-back cruise. In two weeks, we would've comfortably finished the package.

I am also deciding whether to choose the wine package. Are there many more wines that are not in the packages that are on the wine list? I am new to the wine world (and enjoying my new found hobby) and haven't explored wines on previous cruises. I also understand that Vintages (we are going on FOS) has a daily special that you can purchase and take to the MDR. Is that true?

Yes, there are many more wines available that are not part of the packages. I've never seen the Vintages daily special myself, but I have read about it here.

We always get the package and have been able to find wines that we enjoy with dinner. I agree the selection isn't great but since we enjoy wine with dinner it is an affordable option. You can print out the list and sample the wines ahead of time if you like.

I like have the package paid for ahead of time. Also, we have noticed that bar service in the dining room is not what it once was, so having the package guarantees that our order will be taken promptly. In fact, if we have wine left from the previous night (we usually have a bottle of red and white going at the same time) it is usually at the table waiting for us. Hmmm...we are trying MTD for the first time so I'm not sure how that will work.....

We also take our bogo coupons to Vintages and enjoy a great glass of wine.

When we dine out locally we order wine with dinner and have found the prices on the ship to be in line with what we would pay in a land based restaurant.

Simple answer YES!

Simpler answer, maybe. If you buy the diamond package but order wines that you could have ordered off the gold package, you will actually pay MORE than ordering off the wine list.

Take a look at the spreadsheet on the other thread and you will see what I mean.

See the link in Clarea's post number 5 above to the thread. Then go to post #32 for the PDF file.

Cruise Bear... Let me put it this way, my wife and friends are red wine drinkers. On the Oasis in 2011, one glass of house red wine was $9.00 including the normal 15% tip automatically added to the bill. That's where we started our decision coming to the conclusion that a wine package is imperative if you are a wine drinker. We bought a package, drank at MDR and took the remainder of the bottles back to our cabins (after filching a few wine glasses :D) and drank with our friends on our balconies. I personnaly think that was the best solution.

Have a great cruise!!!

----------------------

Sea ya!

Hobiecat01

Ron and Lee

Canton, GA (a NW sub of Atlanta, GA)

Proud Emerald Crown & Anchor Members

CCL: Mardis Gras, Destiny

Princess: Grand, Sea

RCL: Serenade, Navigator, Mariner, Freedom, Liberty, Oasis

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." - Ben Franklin

73 Days at sea!

Wine prices on RCI are comparable to, or sometimes even lower than, the price you would pay for a bottle in a restaurant or bar on land. The less expensive wines are marked up 4-5x, while the more expensive wines are 1-3x.

Cruise Bear... Let me put it this way, my wife and friends are red wine drinkers. On the Oasis in 2011, one glass of house red wine was $9.00 including the normal 15% tip automatically added to the bill. That's where we started our decision coming to the conclusion that a wine package is imperative if you are a wine drinker. We bought a package, drank at MDR and took the remainder of the bottles back to our cabins (after filching a few wine glasses :D) and drank with our friends on our balconies. I personnaly think that was the best solution.

Have a great cruise!!!

I disagree that the package is "imperative." There are plenty of good wines on the full wine list (which you can see if you follow the link in my signature) that aren't included on the package. For me, the red choices in the package are just ok, but there are several wines on the main list that I really enjoy, so for just me, I don't get a package.

We both enjoy the Ferrari-Carano Fume Blanc, and DH likes Conundrum (both on the Diamond Package), so on a longer cruise, we will get a 5 bottle package and fill in with by-the-bottle reds.

The lowest priced wine at a bar on NV in January was $6.00 or $6.95, plus 15%, as I recall. And it was Castle Rock, not La Terre, which wasn't even on the bar lists (yay). And, as the bartenders get to know you, you get an even better value for your money.:) Perhaps OA has her own pricing.

Archived