Better name

Banditswife

I just think this board should be called "special needs." While my hubby is an amputee, he does not consider himself disabled, actually gets mad when people call him handicapped. Do others have a problem being called handicapped/disabled? Just wondering if that is unique to him.

Agree with Katisdale .......I'm definitely not special

Secondly most of us already have to deal with able body people thinking we get "special privileges" by labeling us as "Special Needs" it further compounds the problem as "Special" can also imply a sense of entitlement which is definitly not something that I beleive.

Thank you for your responses. I believe everyone is special in some way, & people with challenges do deserve a break or special attention when needed. People who are physically challenged do deserve the right to assistance in boarding when wanted. HC rooms should be held for those that really need them. My grandson is in a wheelchair & I am glad his parents get preferred parking & priority boarding at amusement parks. Yes, I believe anyone truly needing it, should recieve it. Again thank you for your feed back, perhaps dh is just too sensitive to the tags.

I consider myself challenged not handicapped - get some funny looks when I respond to why I don't park my car in handicapped spots and people see me wheeling across large parkinglots in the rain or snow.

I've been disabled for nearly 58 years, and I don't consider anything about it as being special. While I don't care for the word handicapped, I'm fine with disabled.

I am with you Kitty. I prefer disabled. Special tends to mean 'precious' and the 'kid glove' treatment, which I dislike. (just like I dislike people telling me how 'brave' I am.....:rolleyes:)

My grandson is labeled "special needs." Yes grandson is severely mentally disabled & because of that is physically disabled too. Maybe a better term would be unique needs.

Hubby doesn't like the label, but if we must- he is physically challenged. Thank you all for your input, I just wondered how others felt about it. Your posts have enlightened me.

I've been disabled for nearly 58 years, and I don't consider anything about it as being special. While I don't care for the word handicapped, I'm fine with disabled.

Whilst I am still able bodied it is my wife who is disabled, following a stroke, but like you Kitty I prefer to use disabled rather than handicapped, and I consider special needs to be far too pc for my liking.

However when referring to accessible staterooms I do usually shorten this to HC, mainly for ease and understanding.

Because I am like your husband, an amputee, I prefer 'differently abled' not disabled. There are times when I have special needs (like needing an accessible cabin to accommodate my w/c and my scooter), using HC parking spots, not waiting in very long lines, etc. But I am not special.

My life is not different than most, it just takes more planning.

For me the best days are 'sea days'

I was a special education teacher for more than 17 years and the changes that I saw with regards to labeling the kids was amazing, all in an attempt, imho, to make things more politically correct. When I first started teaching, the kids were called, mild, moderate or severely mentally retarded, then you had the Learning Disabled, Emotionally Disturbed and the Deaf or Hard of Hearing kids. Then it became mentally handicapped, and then mentally disabled, and now it's cognitively delayed. I've never understood the whole "delayed" term because that seems to say that it will eventually come to being, like when you're delayed coming home from work because of traffic. But to call someone who has functioning problems "delayed" just doesn't really fit the situation. You can't call the ED kids emotionally disturbed anymore as they have to be labeled things like Behaviorally Challenged and the Deaf and Blind kids are now called either Visually Impaired or Hearing Challenged. PC run amok in many situations.

MargoK, I really hate that "brave" stuff. I cruise solo a lot, and have cruised literally all over the world on my own, and the constant comments by fellow cruisers about how "brave" I am to be traveling to places in Africa or SE Asia really gets to me. Why am I more "brave" than anyone else who goes on a safari or to the Terra Cotta Warriors just because I use a mobility scooter? Maybe it's because I've only really known what it's like to be disabled, since it happened because of polio at age 2, so to me, it's my life and being brave doesn't have diddly poo to do about it.

MargoK, I really hate that "brave" stuff. I cruise solo a lot, and have cruised literally all over the world on my own, and the constant comments by fellow cruisers about how "brave" I am to be traveling to places in Africa or SE Asia really gets to me. Why am I more "brave" than anyone else who goes on a safari or to the Terra Cotta Warriors just because I use a mobility scooter? Maybe it's because I've only really known what it's like to be disabled, since it happened because of polio at age 2, so to me, it's my life and being brave doesn't have diddly poo to do about it.

Ditto !!!;)

I set foot on 5 continents by myself before I became disabled . The majority of cities were places that tourist didn't go as I spent most of my time in remote manufacturing areas throughout the world. My traveling solo now using a mobility scooter , isn't brave rather I'm just continuing to live my life and to do the things that make me happy.

Because I am like your husband, an amputee, I prefer 'differently abled' not disabled. There are times when I have special needs (like needing an accessible cabin to accommodate my w/c and my scooter), using HC parking spots, not waiting in very long lines, etc. But I am not special.

My life is not different than most, it just takes more planning.

For me the best days are 'sea days'

Good for you- hubby claims he can do anything, it just takes him a little longer to figure out how.

Good for you- hubby claims he can do anything, it just takes him a little longer to figure out how.

This is my favorite saying...it made me laugh to see your post because I say it all the time. Much of how we see the world is mental, not physical

Arlene

My DH's uniqeness is the reason we are together. When I 1st met him, I was so inspired by everything he did 1 handed. He thought I was flirting :o. I just couldn't help but watch how he managed everything. Best stupid/rude behavior I ever was guilty of. We've been together for 12 yrs now. The 12 best years of my life. :D

Ditto !!!;)

I set foot on 5 continents by myself before I became disabled . The majority of cities were places that tourist didn't go as I spent most of my time in remote manufacturing areas throughout the world. My traveling solo now using a mobility scooter , isn't brave rather I'm just continuing to live my life and to do the things that make me happy.

Same story for me, almost exactly.

I don't usualy consider myself disabled, just very lucky. However, I drop into "disabled" mode when some bumpkin in a 4x4 (SUV for our American friends) has claimed the wide parking space because it is close to the cash dispenser (ATM).

I can't get too precious about the label but "disabled" is the best catch-all term to communicate with folks, especially over the phone. "Uniquely challenged" or even, "A bit more furstrated than I used to be" just don't have the same ring.

Same story for me, almost exactly.

I don't usualy consider myself disabled, just very lucky. However, I drop into "disabled" mode when some bumpkin in a 4x4 (SUV for our American friends) has claimed the wide parking space because it is close to the cash dispenser (ATM).

I can't get too precious about the label but "disabled" is the best catch-all term to communicate with folks, especially over the phone. "Uniquely challenged" or even, "A bit more furstrated than I used to be" just don't have the same ring.

Yes, you are right "disabled" is the easiest for others to understand. But about those wide parking spots- remember everyone's challenges are not visible. True story: I guy I work with uses 2 prosthetic legs. When he wears long pants no one would ever know. He told me he gets really dirty looks when he parks in the HC space, he just wants to flash a leg at them. Also things like heart issues are not visible, but still in need of a HC spot.

• 2 weeks later...

I cruise with a Service Dog......I'm not blind. You should see the comments I get. Unbelieveable!!!!!! I must write that book I've been threatening to do. My favorite one is: "How'd you get your dog onboard?" or "Look at that blind dog!"

Unless your handicap is visible folks just refuse to be discreet!

If I were in a wheelchair life would be so much simpler....sounds weird doesn't it to say that but it's true!

Oh! The comments don't stop onboard cruises, they happen in the mall, in the market and wherever I go.

Yes, you are right "disabled" is the easiest for others to understand. But about those wide parking spots- remember everyone's challenges are not visible. True story: I guy I work with uses 2 prosthetic legs. When he wears long pants no one would ever know. He told me he gets really dirty looks when he parks in the HC space, he just wants to flash a leg at them. Also things like heart issues are not visible, but still in need of a HC spot.

You are of course, completely right. It really makes my blood fizz when folks bang on about idle people on scooters that they personally have diagnosed as being good enough to walk. :mad:

For reasons I find difficult to comprehend, we have a stange class of drivers in the UK who make up a wholly disporportionate part of the HC parking space users. Three categories predominate:

1. White van drivers

2. 4 x 4 drivers (frequently driven by yummy mummies)

3. BMW drivers, among whom the M variants and/or fancy aftermarket alloy wheels are a favourite.

The frequency of being able to observe this phenomena varies in inverse proportion to the distance to the cash dispenser (vans and BMW's) and also with the weather (as you might already expect, rainy day observations are higher).

I'm pleased to say that my local builders' merchant serves a very high number of tradesmen who have well disguised illnesses that nevertheless allow them to climb on a roof. This must be the case, because there's always a white van in the HC space by the door. :confused:

You are of course, completely right. It really makes my blood fizz when folks bang on about idle people on scooters that they personally have diagnosed as being good enough to walk. :mad:

For reasons I find difficult to comprehend, we have a stange class of drivers in the UK who make up a wholly disporportionate part of the HC parking space users. Three categories predominate:

1. White van drivers

2. 4 x 4 drivers (frequently driven by yummy mummies)

3. BMW drivers, among whom the M variants and/or fancy aftermarket alloy wheels are a favourite.

The frequency of being able to observe this phenomena varies in inverse proportion to the distance to the cash dispenser (vans and BMW's) and also with the weather (as you might already expect, rainy day observations are higher).

I'm pleased to say that my local builders' merchant serves a very high number of tradesmen who have well disguised illnesses that nevertheless allow them to climb on a roof. This must be the case, because there's always a white van in the HC space by the door. :confused:

Again, no judging, please!!!!

Again, no judging, please!!!!

It's not easy to do this, especially when you see a 20-something park in an accessible space, cigarette hanging out of the mouth, and running into the building. So tell me, what invisible disability would that person have? Sorry, but when I see young people doing that, I DO judge, and harshly. I see that kind of thing happen all the time. Just yesterday I saw a group of young girls park in an accessible spot, and proceed to play softball in the park!!!!!! Using granny's placard, are we? Sure, every so often we may have someone who has a problem that's not visible, but I find many more times that I'm not wrong in assuming that someone is using a placard illegally.

Let me give you an example. In Wisconsin those with placards or plates can park at meters without paying. The local TV station did an investigation of the many placards being used for free downtown parking----they counted over 100. A full 73% of those using the placards or plates were using them illegally!!!!! They confronted every driver and they admitted they used the placards so they could park all day for free. So, no judgements? Yeah, I judge, especially knowing how those placards are illegally used.

It's not easy to do this, especially when you see a 20-something park in an accessible space, cigarette hanging out of the mouth, and running into the building. So tell me, what invisible disability would that person have? Sorry, but when I see young people doing that, I DO judge, and harshly. I see that kind of thing happen all the time. Just yesterday I saw a group of young girls park in an accessible spot, and proceed to play softball in the park!!!!!! Using granny's placard, are we? Sure, every so often we may have someone who has a problem that's not visible, but I find many more times that I'm not wrong in assuming that someone is using a placard illegally.

Let me give you an example. In Wisconsin those with placards or plates can park at meters without paying. The local TV station did an investigation of the many placards being used for free downtown parking----they counted over 100. A full 73% of those using the placards or plates were using them illegally!!!!! They confronted every driver and they admitted they used the placards so they could park all day for free. So, no judgements? Yeah, I judge, especially knowing how those placards are illegally used.

I hear you and I do understand your frustration as it only reminds me of the folks who purchase their Service Dog vests online and then parade their totally untrained and misbehaving dog in public, only to make it more difficult for those of us who ligitimally use Service Dogs.

I try not to judge but a dog eating off the public plates in a restaurant and pooping and barking in the market is only too obvious. I will definitely call someone out if I catch them.

Archived