Government Fee increase

Just got an increase on my holiday cruise which is all Goverment fees. Explaination says it happens and is collected presail inside of 90 days, while you are sailing after that. New to me. Not a lot but am I being hustled for a few bucks or does this actually happen?

This is the first time I have seen an Increase between booking and final payment.

DSSC

Just got an increase on my holiday cruise which is all Goverment fees. Explaination says it happens and is collected presail inside of 90 days, while you are sailing after that. New to me. Not a lot but am I being hustled for a few bucks or does this actually happen?

This is the first time I have seen an Increase between booking and final payment.

DSSC

Yes, it can happen at anytime. On the other hand, if you miss a port due to weather or whatever, the fees will be refunded as happened on our Veendam cruise in Aug. 2011.

Yes, it can happen at anytime. On the other hand, if you miss a port due to weather or whatever, the fees will be refunded as happened on our Veendam cruise in Aug. 2011.

We had our Bermuda itinerary shortened by almost a day, due to Tropical Storm Debby, leaving Hamilton Thursday evening instead of Friday afternoon. Though I agree with and appreciate the reasons for leaving, I was hoping that a portion of the port fees would be refunded. After several inquiries, we were told that no refund would be issued; when I asked if this was a decision of the Bermuda authorities, the front desk associate guessed that this was the case but could not confirm.

Yes, it can and does happen. Port taxes increase, and the increase is passed along to the consumer. Likewise, cruise lines reserve the right to add a fuel surcharge should there be an increase in fuel prices.

I have seen increases in port fees (even after we board) and decreases as well. I am assuming these are the Government fees? (although you know what happens when you assume).

It does happen - it's not within the ship's control if any of the ports raise their fees or their taxes.

We had our Bermuda itinerary shortened by almost a day, due to Tropical Storm Debby, leaving Hamilton Thursday evening instead of Friday afternoon. Though I agree with and appreciate the reasons for leaving, I was hoping that a portion of the port fees would be refunded. After several inquiries, we were told that no refund would be issued; when I asked if this was a decision of the Bermuda authorities, the front desk associate guessed that this was the case but could not confirm.

I believe the fee is an entry fee and not based upon how much time you spend in the country.

We've had increased port fee's on several of our cruises. Only once have we paid a fuel charge. We did get charged another time for fuel but they had to return it because they added it after we made final payment. They apparently couldn't do that.

We have had increases AND decreases in port charges/fees both after we have booked but before sailing as well as on our shipboard account when on the ship.

It happens. :shrug:

Archived