Captain Cook Hotel

shofer

Hi Sue,

Yes there are quite a few restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. I suggest you use either Google Maps or Google Earth - locate the hotel then pan around for restaurants, etc. We'll be there at the end of August and I've scouted out several choices that appeal to us. Downtown Anchorage isn't that large so even walking several blocks shouldn't be that taxing.

Doug

This can get pretty subjective but one of the better restaurants in Anchorage is the Crow's Nest that is on the 13th floor of the Captain Cook. A bit pricey but very good and an excellent view.

I agree. We ate there and enjoyed it very much.

Keith

We are booked here next year and wondering if there are any places to eat nearby rather than the hotel itself.

Thanks,

Sue

Lots of restaurants around. Glacier Brewhouse, Orso's, Simon & Seafort's, Humpy's, Snowgoose, Sack's, Snow City Cafe, Ginger, Club Paris.

These listed, are an easy 2 to 7 block walk from the Cook.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Ditto on the Crow's Nest at the Captain Cook Hotel. You won't believe the awesome view of the Chugach Mountains. I can't think of any other restaurants in Anchorage that can match this view. You'll find others with great food and even great water views, but I'd choose the Crow's Nest. By the way, even if you just are looking for a snack, do try the reindeer sausage from the cart as per a prior post.

Did you book online or via telephone? I always book by telephone so I can request the view I want and the sort of room as well. The CC is not a cookie cutter chain hotel.

Our TA is booking it for us. Which view should we request?

Sue

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like we will have quite a choice. Don't have the info on flight times yet as we are flying in a day early. Hope we have some time to look around.

Sue

Our TA is booking it for us. Which view should we request?

Sue

I prefer the view to the east which is the Chugach Mountains, but an Inlet view is a good 2nd. (WEST)

Even if your TA booked it, you can still telephone the hotel and get info. They are really nice folks up there.

1-800-943-1950 and 1-907-276-6000

While I think the view is great I have never particularly cared for the Crow's Nest in the Captain Cook. However, we do enjoy Fletcher's in the lobby for a quick and quiet meal.

In summer we find the Glacier Brewhouse too loud, but always enjoy Orso's.

Lots of restaurants around. Glacier Brewhouse, Orso's, Simon & Seafort's, Humpy's, Snowgoose, Sack's, Snow City Cafe, Ginger, Club Paris.

These listed, are an easy 2 to 7 block walk from the Cook.

Thanks Susan! Looking forward to trying them.

Susan in Wheaton, IL

I prefer the view to the east which is the Chugach Mountains, but an Inlet view is a good 2nd. (WEST)

Even if your TA booked it, you can still telephone the hotel and get info. They are really nice folks up there.

1-800-943-1950 and 1-907-276-6000

We are arriving about 1:30 PM after a 7 hour flight. This is going to be some jet lag.

We have an Inlet view room with 2 double beds.

Sue

Thanks Susan! Looking forward to trying them.

Susan in Wheaton, IL

Who knows by next year, I may have more to recommend.:D My Mom comes up (lives in Southern Illinois) and she loves dining out because we have so many local restaurants versus alot of the chains she has (though those have moved in and actually 2012 Olive Garden arrived in Anchorage).

We are arriving about 1:30 PM after a 7 hour flight. This is going to be some jet lag.

We have an Inlet view room with 2 double beds.

Sue

Well, if McKinley is behaving herself, then you may see her too from your room.

Who knows by next year, I may have more to recommend.:D My Mom comes up (lives in Southern Illinois) and she loves dining out because we have so many local restaurants versus alot of the chains she has (though those have moved in and actually 2012 Olive Garden arrived in Anchorage).

Well, if McKinley is behaving herself, then you may see her too from your room.

You can see McKinley from there? I thought you had to go into Denali to see it. That would be a real treat.

Sue

You can see McKinley from there? I thought you had to go into Denali to see it. That would be a real treat.

Sue

It's not like it's when you get closer to the park (I mean you are over 200 or so miles away).

But on a clear day and when mountains up there aren't making their own weather you can see Mt. Foraker, Mt. Hunter and Mt. McKinley. Heck, I've been in the park and haven't seen it and when does it appear, as we're driving back to Anchorage :D

The local phone company here used to have a webcam pointing that way, but just checked and it's no longer!

I always check the view for Denali when at the CC. Sometimes I've gotten lucky.

You need a clear day at Anchorage and at Denali, but it sometimes happens.

1:30 pm arrival....I would request an early check in.

It still sometimes throw me if I'm coming down Minnesota Drive into town and look up and there she is.

It is really amazing when we have a clear day here, as you can see Mt. McKinley north and the Alaska Range south and it sometimes looks like you're just right there, when they are 100s of miles away!

Sue

Denali can be visible not only from Anchorage, but also from Fairbanks. However, it cannot be seen from the actual entrance of Denali National Park. For example, the hotels at Glitter Gulch do not have views of Denali.

And let's see if this works -

netcam.jpg

Decided to look to see if she was clear up there (this is from a webcam in Talkeetna) as it's bright blue skies and sunshine here in Anchorage.

Now, of course, sometimes when I attach this way, it's a live feed, so, if you look at it later, it may be in the dark or cloudy :D

Thanks Susan, Always a thrill to see Denali even via a photo.

Visitors without experience in the Denali NP are often shocked that the mountain is not readily seen. I wish I could come up with a quick and easy explanation.

And let's see if this works -

netcam.jpg

Decided to look to see if she was clear up there (this is from a webcam in Talkeetna) as it's bright blue skies and sunshine here in Anchorage.

Now, of course, sometimes when I attach this way, it's a live feed, so, if you look at it later, it may be in the dark or cloudy :D

Outstanding! Thanks so much for posting this. Wow! Coming from flat Illinois, I am speechless.

Sue

Archived