What is the "Real HAL Dress" Code

Cruisetini

As much as my wife wears a dress and I wear a dark suit....times are a changing on all cruise lines, like it or not. To the OP, there are no codes, just guidelines. If you are allowed in the DR with or without jacket and tie, jeans or capris ...more power to you. I think there is way too many serious people on these dress threads and everyone knows there is a Lido, I'm sure we don't have to tell them.

btw- I thought my post of the ball gown pic was pretty funny yet nobody laughed...way too serious people on here. We should all be happy we get to cruise no matter how others dress....Happy cruising everyone!:D

Have to agree, it is really much ado about nothing.

How others dress is not very high on our list of priorities. Hardly worth concerning ourselves or wrapping ourselves around the axle about someone else's attire-that we have absolutely no control over. On a cruise or at any other time.

This is of course, the nub.

1. Definition of "formal." Everyone has a different conceptualization, and each cruise line defines it a little differently amongst them. Some people grumble that tuxedoes are "not really formal, white tie is!" while some feel that they are "formal" with a tie and/or a jacket (or less).

2. Add in the lines lax enforcement while scrambling to fill cabins make them likely to allow nearly anything to maintain capacity near 100%("Don't want to upset the paying customers") and you get what we have: a large gap in the middle that you can drive a truck through (while wearing shorts, ball cap and a tee shirt).

3. Wishy-washy language on the lines part in the "code"- e.g.: "suggest" "request" "encourage", etc. does nothing to clear this up for the people who truly want to know what is going on. Sigh

Bottom line, there is a tradition of cruising being something special, and, dare I say, elegant, so the lines who wish to should continue to try to make a portion of the cruise special and elegant for those so inclined. The lines which want to remain strictly casual exist for those who enjoy that. There are plenty of cabins out there for everyone.

Cheers

Mark

Not really. There seems to be a common understanding an easy to describe terms for expected formal night attire. It is meant to be a festive evening and those who enjoy it, enjoy it. Just like it is expected to wear bathing suits in the pool. If you want to wear something other than expected bathing attire that meets common sensibilities for a ship like HAL, then stay away from the public pool. This is not hard.

Not sure why so many people try to make "formal night" something that it is not. It is a night when people can and do dress up well beyond normal ship's "casual". That is all that it is. If you don't want to do this, then just like the pool, dine elsewhere that evening. But don't intentionally take away from the festive feeling the others who want to enjoy this evening are expecting to have.

Pictures worth 1000 words - formal night suggestions for women:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=alex+evenings+top&_sacat=0

Unfair Advertising! ;) I had to look, then went on Dillards to see some of the new ones..Can usually resist a sale but other sites including Dillards are advertising the same tops for $109-$129..Found one new "Alex Evening Floral Twin Set" in PM only for 50% off at Dillards...Could not resist a half price sale, even though I honestly didn't need another formal top!:eek:

So please HAL don't cancel the formal nights yet...

As much as my wife wears a dress and I wear a dark suit....times are a changing on all cruise lines, like it or not. To the OP, there are no codes, just guidelines. If you are allowed in the DR with or without jacket and tie, jeans or capris ...more power to you. I think there is way too many serious people on these dress threads and everyone knows there is a Lido, I'm sure we don't have to tell them.

btw- I thought my post of the ball gown pic was pretty funny yet nobody laughed...way too serious people on here. We should all be happy we get to cruise no matter how others dress....Happy cruising everyone!:D

Oh I laughed, but didn't realize you wanted a laughter post..:D:D

Cheers...:)Betty

s someone said in a different thread:

As long as HAL continues to make the request/suggestion, and attempts to create "festive formal evenings", it's polite to comply. Not polite to HAL, but polite to the fellow guests.

Everyone that follows the request/suggestion expects or hopes others will. If they mainly do, the plan works.

If they don't...it doesn't.

It's not about clothes. Trivial.

It's about courtesy. Important.

Hey readytogo2 those ballroom dresses would have looked better than some of the items people were wearing. I would love to take my big spoon and stir more!

I do like those large spoons.:D

Oh I laughed, but didn't realize you wanted a laughter post..:D:D

Cheers...:)Betty

Well as the saying goes, laughter is the best medicine...and this world we live in needs a lot more of it.:)

Not really. There seems to be a common understanding an easy to describe terms for expected formal night attire. It is meant to be a festive evening and those who enjoy it, enjoy it. Just like it is expected to wear bathing suits in the pool. If you want to wear something other than expected bathing attire that meets common sensibilities for a ship like HAL, then stay away from the public pool. This is not hard.

Not sure why so many people try to make "formal night" something that it is not. It is a night when people can and do dress up well beyond normal ship's "casual". That is all that it is. If you don't want to do this, then just like the pool, dine elsewhere that evening. But don't intentionally take away from the festive feeling the others who want to enjoy this evening are expecting to have.

To dispute your theory --- If the cruise line did not allow it, the "underdressed" people would not be in the MDR.

Many cruise lines that tried to hang onto the "traditions" are either no longer in business or have been bought up by other cruise lines who do not try to enforce strict dress codes.

You can possibly still find cruise lines that try to maintain the dress codes, but they are few and far between.

To dispute your theory --- If the cruise line did not allow it, the "underdressed" people would not be in the MDR.

Many cruise lines that tried to hang onto the "traditions" are either no longer in business or have been bought up by other cruise lines who do not try to enforce strict dress codes.

You can possibly still find cruise lines that try to maintain the dress codes, but they are few and far between.

The point is this is intended to be a festive evening for those who enjoy it. And a request to let those people enjoy its special intent. If people don't want to enjoy its festive intent, one can hope they enjoy their evening somewhere else so as to not take away from the festive intended atmosphere of that formal night evening. It is not a police state.

But mutual courtesies remain appreciated. If you don't like formal nights, just stay away those evenings and let those who do enjoy it for themselves. Just like people stay away from Team Trivia in the Crows Nest if it is not their thing.

The point is this is intended to be a festive evening for those who enjoy it. And a request to let those people enjoy its special intent. If people don't want to enjoy its festive intent, one can hope they enjoy their evening somewhere else so as to not take away from the festive intended atmosphere of that formal night evening. It is not a police state.

But mutual courtesies remain appreciated. If you don't like formal nights, just stay away those evenings and let those who do enjoy it for themselves. Just like people stay away from Team Trivia in the Crows Nest if it is not their thing.

Why make others move away so you can enjoy your meal??

Your ideas of proper dress may not agree with those of the cruise line, so if they allow different types of attire into the MDR, is is not polite to ask others to find somewhere else to dine.

Why make others move away so you can enjoy your meal??

Your ideas of proper dress may not agree with those of the cruise line, so if they allow different types of attire into the MDR, is is not polite to ask others to find somewhere else to dine.

It is not polite to intentionally interfere with a noticed event that allows you other options if you don't care to participate. People can't carry on loud conversations in the movie theater or demand they play only Wagner in the Northern Lights disco. Sorry this is so upsetting for you. Relax and enjoy formal nights. They are special. Dress up and get into the spirit of them. You knew they would be happening when you signed up for HAL cruises. Work with it or work around it.

I loved the picture of the ballroom gowns ...

but :eek: shuddered :eek: when I imagined the undergarments needed!

And can you imagine the luggage needed to haul all that around?! Everyone would need to those big ole steamer trunks!

It is not polite to intentionally interfere with a noticed event that allows you other options if you don't care to participate. People can't carry on loud conversations in the movie theater or demand they play only Wagner in the Northern Lights disco. Sorry this is so upsetting for you. Relax and enjoy formal nights. They are special. Dress up and get into the spirit of them. You knew they would be happening when you signed up for HAL cruises. Work with it or work around it.

I said nothing about being upset !!

I said the cruise line decides who will be allowed into the MDR. It is not your choice who eats where, and it is not polite to ask others to give up their choice of dining for your pleasure.

If you have enough influence with the cruise line to make them adhere to your ideas, then by all means -- do so.

I said the cruise line decides who will be allowed into the MDR. It is not your choice who eats where, and it is not polite to ask others to give up their choice of dining for your pleasure.

If you have enough influence with the cruise line to make them adhere to your ideas, then by all means -- do so.

Amen brother. :D

well, let us admit. 'formal night' has become like a 'costume ball'. the costume is tux/suit and gown or cocktail dress with 'bling.' some of us, when we were teens or early adult, loved costume balls. now, many of us do not. so let hal have its 'ball' twice a week. the rest of us will opt out, 'stag or drag', as they used to say. i'll always present myself well in nice slacks and a nice, ironed shirt at dinner; but the 'costumes' have been long gone from my life. so, if 'in costume' is a prerequisite for mdr dining on formal nights -- well, ok. i'll glady do lido, canaletto, or whatever. but i will no longer tote a 'costume.' hal, just change 'suggestion' to 'required,' and be done with it. and, for heaven sakes, don't relegate the non-costume passengers to second- or third-class. give us lobsters in the lido like anyone else who paid to cruise. period.

dr.dawg, aka fr.doug

I loved the picture of the ballroom gowns ...

but :eek: shuddered :eek: when I imagined the undergarments needed!

And can you imagine the luggage needed to haul all that around?! Everyone would need to those big ole steamer trunks!

Don't forget the maid who would travel with you to take care of all that clothing!

I once read on these boards, and also made a comment on 'Roll Calls', that the Hawiian Shirt is classed as ' Formal'. The only problem is, I don't know if this is for Hawiian cruises only, if at all.

Any thoughts on the subject?

john

I once read on these boards, and also made a comment on 'Roll Calls', that the Hawiian Shirt is classed as ' Formal'. The only problem is, I don't know if this is for Hawiian cruises only, if at all.

john

Wow !! You are a brave man !!! The "tux crowd" will be launching their missiles shortly !!!:D:D

john

I don't think it counts as formal (except in Hawaii), but it's a great look for smart casual nights on warm-climate cruises. Might look a bit out of place in Alaska, but still within the "code" for smart casual.

Well said. Where's the "Like" button:D?

john

You would have to wonder at anyone believing that a Hawaiain shirt could be classed as formal wear.

HAL lets you know ahead of time there will be formal nights and sets out dress guidelines. This is the cruise you sign up for, so it is too too late for to claim you don't like the conditions clearly set out that you agreed to when you signed up.

Nothing is being taken from you when these conditions are put in place. You agreed to them upfront - formal wear on formal night. Or else you agreed up front to dine elsewhere.

We get it, You don't like to dress up. But that is no excuse for you to later intrude your will on others after you were given notice of what was expected. Read your cruise documents more closely so you know what to expect when choosing HAL ships. There are plenty of other lines far better suited (ahem) to your personal tastes than HAL ships. But we have been there before.

The "dress police" in fact are those who choose to inflict their own will on those who have chosen to be comfortable with the noticed and set out dress guidelines and honor them with courtesy and responsibility. But the "dress police" take these very guidelines into their own hands, and set the rules according to what they alone want.

What would be interesting is to explore with scientific accuracy if there is any correlation between those who complain endlessly about the MDR food and service, yet demand they get seated in that very MDR wearing a tee-shirt on formal night.

What about Bermuda shorts when the ship there?What do the dress police think?

Well, that would certainly open up a can of worms. If gentlemen wanted to wear Bermuda shorts while in Bermuda I think they should be allowed IF and ONLY IF they are worn as Bermudians would wear them to fine dining: pressed linen Bermuda shorts to the knee, knee high dress socks, dress shirt, tie and jacket. Plain old shorts- no.

I'm not the dress police. This is JMHO for a Bermuda cruise. I think the Bermudian men I see look smashing in this outfit. Similar to formalwear with kilts for the Scottish.

Perhaps we can agree to disagree.??

On our Eurodam cruise a few weeks ago, we dined in Tamarind and Pinnacle On the 2 formal nights and dressed appropriately (well, I think we did .. Palazzo pants, sparkly top and dressy sandals for me. DH & DS wore dress pants, dress shirt and tie. We did leave the "formal" Harley Davidson T- shirts at home :-).

Personally I could do without formal nights and could care less how others dress. If HAL or any other cruise line allows me in the MDR to eat, then my perspective is that all is good. We have travelled extnesively - mostly land based trips and we choose our cruises primarily based on the itinerary rather than the formal night policy. I do find some of the posts on formal night dressing to be quite snobbish. I'm not sure if we would cruise again on HAL, but given the right itinerary,right timing and right price, I would not rule it out.

I may also be in the minority in that we far preferred the Lido over the MDR, which was very noisy and rushed. While I thought the Lido was poorly designed to handle the hordes at breakfast and lunch, there were far fewer people dining there in the evening. We took a very port intensive cruise and we enjoyed having a window seat in the Lido watching the sea go by and rehashing our days adventures. We found the Lido to be quieter and more relaxed in the evening.

I guess because I do not care what others wear, and therefore,it does not impact me,I just don't get why others are so bothered by what I wear and why these threads descend into class warfare (although I do sometimes find them quite entertaining).

Happy cruising to all :)

Archived