What is the "Real HAL Dress" Code

Cruisetini

I guess when all the back and forth fun is over it is up to the HAL personal stationed at the door of th MDR to enforce the rules that are set forth by HAL. If I present myself to these people to be seated for dinner in this room and I am I must of passed inspection, if I am sent off to the Lido I didn't. I for one am ready for inspection and their decision. I have never seen it myself but if a person is warring a t shirt and baseball cap in the MDR on formal night I must assume they passed the inspection. Maybe the pass can set up their owne greeting line that you mast pass through.

Perhaps we can agree to disagree.?? ......

.....I do find some of the posts on formal night dressing to be quite snobbish.......

why these threads descend into class warfare (although I do sometimes find them quite entertaining).

Did you get your answer?

Don't forget the maid who would travel with you to take care of all that clothing!

oh yes ... and think of all the hatboxes!

This has made me think of the scenes from Butch Cassidy when they were traveling to Bolivia, and Etta had a different dress & HUGE hat in each scene, and when they finally arrived, they had just a few small cases, no hatboxes or trunks for her clothes. And she had on still different outfits (with hats) when they were in Bolivia.

Now y'all may return to the argu - er - I mean discussion ...

This has made me think of the scenes from Butch Cassidy when they were traveling to Bolivia, and Etta had a different dress & HUGE hat in each scene, and when they finally arrived, they had just a few small cases, no hatboxes or trunks for her clothes. And she had on still different outfits (with hats) when they were in Bolivia.

And think of the bag check fees!

I can only imagine the look on the face of the ticket agent if I showed up with a steamer trunk and many hat boxes:D

The "dress police" in fact are those who choose to inflict their own will on those who have chosen to be comfortable with the noticed and set out dress guidelines and honor them with courtesy and responsibility. But the "dress police" take these very guidelines into their own hands, and set the rules according to what they alone want.

The CRUISE LINE determines who will be seated in the MDR. Are you referring to the CRUISE LINE PERSONNEL as the "DRESS POLICE" ? If so, you are correct.

Or the opposite end of the luggage spectrum, Grace Kelly in "Rear Window," showing up at Jimmy Stewart's apartment with just a little "train case" containing a neglige and probably not much else.

I never noticed Etta's clothing and lack of luggage in Butch Cassidy. Must pay attention next time I see it.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies may wear a suit, cocktail dress, gown or fancy blouse/top with slacks and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Just to add my story. On our first cruise which was to Pacific Islands from Sydney. DH and I were sitting in our appropriate formal attire waiting to get into the MDR secon sitting, when he spotted a group of young women very nicely dressed in summery cocktail type short dresses. He strongly objected to their footwear though as none had any stockings or pantyhose on with their scrappy evening sandals!!

I had to bring him up to date with how things are "done" nowadays.

That was back in 2005 and was classed as our "Pre-Wedding Honeymoon Cruise"

We have done one since then to NZ and the one coming up will be our first on HAL (perhaps not last though) on Oosterdam cruising back home to Oz from Seattle in October this year.

If only I had a nickel for each time this has been posted...I'm sure I could go on a world voyage and stay in a suite

I think your math may be a little off:rolleyes:

On festive Formal evenings, ladies may wear a suit, cocktail dress, gown or fancy blouse/top with slacks and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. .

If this is the "Real HAL Dress Code" why doesn't it give the dress code for the Lido on formal nights...Experienced HAL cruisers know that casual is acceptable on formal nights in the Lido...The dress code on the HAL website should be updated to show this.

If this is the "Real HAL Dress Code" why doesn't it give the dress code for the Lido on formal nights...Experienced HAL cruisers know that casual is acceptable on formal nights in the Lido...The dress code on the HAL website should be updated to show this.

Well, "Experienced" HAL cruisers do not set the dress code, Holland America Line does. I try not to interpret what will benefit me, and give my own input on the matter, because its what I want it to be. I follow the dress code, because its a courtesy to other guests who enjoy Formal Night and book HAL for this reason and not other more casual lines.

Holland America Line says this about the rest of this ship:

"In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening".

Although I might not remember exact breakfast times, or times of Mass on the ship, my little 2 star pin says I have been on enough HAL cruises to state the dress code, as posted on the HAL site.

I do agree fully that HAL should clarify the code for more casual venues, but until then I will just got off it word for word. Wish they would do that.

"In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening".

So what is the "suggested" dress code for the Lido on formal nights?

The sad thing about these dress code threads is that it gets new HAL cruisers in a panic and stressed out worrying, when in reality when they get on the ship they realize they worried for nothing and just about anything one could wear will be seen and is fine. :(

And new posters on this board quickly learn to avoid far too many threads, or risk being drawn into a truly never ending debate. :rolleyes:

Frank.... I LOVED your ball gown photo! Where would you find a suitcase to pack it??? I guess I have the Isle of Capri on my mind but that's another trip... Hold onto your hats....someone told me to bring Bermuda shorts because everyone wears them and it's acceptable on board LOL. I don't think so..

The sad thing about these dress code threads is that it gets new HAL cruisers in a panic and stressed out worrying, when in reality when they get on the ship they realize they worried for nothing and just about anything one could wear will be seen and is fine. :(

You are right on target here! When we first started cruising we were constantly worried about the so-called formal nights. Now we recognize that it is a classic Shakespeare, "Much Ado About Nothing!";)

Archived