What is the "Real HAL Dress" Code

Cruisetini

Not unless they're matching fabric. In a suit, the jacket and pants/skirt are made of the same fabric. I haven't seen capri pantsuits on any of my shopping forays.

I don't think capri pants are appropriate for formal night.

Capris don't really fit HAL's description of smart casual: "casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women." But capris might get past the maitre d' on smart casual nights. Or they might not.

I generally stay out of dress code threads on general principals but I had to comment here.

I own a 3 piece capri suit. I wouldn't wear it on formal nights but have worn it on casual nights. It is very cute. Matching fabric and all.

I generally stay out of dress code threads on general principals but I had to comment here.

I own a 3 piece capri suit. I wouldn't wear it on formal nights but have worn it on casual nights. It is very cute. Matching fabric and all.

I've never seen a capri suit, but it sounds a lot "smarter" than the capris I wear. Mine are casual, but not "smart casual."

Interpretation of what smart casual actually is creates problems. I have noticed many folks don't seem to know the difference between smart casual and yard clothes.

Exactly. There's a world of difference between the t-shirt, jeans and sneakers you wear to mow the lawn (or any other similar activity) and dark, uniformly colored (not faded) pressed jeans worn with a pressed collared shirt that is tucked in and finished with a belt (for men).

Interpretation of what smart casual actually is creates problems. I have noticed many folks don't seem to know the difference between smart casual and yard clothes.

^ I know! Yard casual has grass stains and smart casual has gravy stains... right? :rolleyes::D

IMO so as to not be refused and if you don't want to raise the eyebrows of the fashion fuzz... dress a little stiffer than you think you should. Try to go with longer rather than short legged pants, don't want to show too much ankle! :rolleyes:

Derek

Looking forward to my first HAL cruise on Aug. 5th - do people really get dressed up for the two formal nights? Are nice blouses and slacks/capri pants plus bling acceptable?

The way the original question is asked..I would answer, "Yes, people get dressed up on formal nights." Adding "bling" to a pair of capris doesn't to me make me "dressed up". :rolleyes:

I wear capris and a " nice blouse" on smart casual nights...a put together look. I don't wear the capris that I wear running errands around town with a tank top and call that smart casual. That's casual in my eyes. SMART is adding some style and effort to the outfit.

The OP is not describing anything close to "formal" on a traditional line like HAL.

It the OP indeed is coming from NCL she will be surprised at ALL the differences between the two lines.:eek:

I had planned to wear a nice sparkly blouse and capris for formal nite my last cruise, but I had a hell of a time trying to find dressy sandals (much less heels) in a 14EEE *S*

*sigh* so it was back to the grey slacks, navy blazer and boring rep tie. What's a fella to do?

I don't own a cocktail dress and have no reason to buy own. I did buy a "nice" black dress (suitable to wear to the opera or the symphony) before my last HAL cruise. I brought my "bling" and felt that I would be fine. The majority of the women were in long gowns. I saw a few women in long slacks with "cocktail style" sparkly tops and/or jackets. Those of us in mid-calf length "dress up" dresses were few and far between. Capri pants and nice blouses would work for "smart casual" but would not work for formal nights. Believe me.

Okay to clarify..... when I started this thread I was thinking to myself hmmmm new cruise line for me.....wonder what I should pack. Yes I have enjoyed freestyle on NCL for past years but they didn't have any formal nights. So I was wondering what people actually wore so I could start packing. I am planning on bringing a long dress + another dressy outfit for the two formal nights. Capri pants with dressy tops for the other nights which is smart casual as I understand from reading the cruise info. So sorry if I got anyone upset. I enjoy the dining room and understand the HAL is different than NCL just looking to make sure I don't overpack and bring the appropriate attire. I like the fact that people take time to dress up and even though you are on vacation wear something that you may not wear every day while at home to dinner. From what I hear dinner on HAL is to be celebrated in every way! PS.... I am usually the one in a sequin dress asking myself...."is this formal night?" So thanks for all of your input!

Okay to clarify..... when I started this thread I was thinking to myself hmmmm new cruise line for me.....wonder what I should pack. Yes I have enjoyed freestyle on NCL for past years but they didn't have any formal nights. So I was wondering what people actually wore so I could start packing. I am planning on bringing a long dress + another dressy outfit for the two formal nights. Capri pants with dressy tops for the other nights which is smart casual as I understand from reading the cruise info. So sorry if I got anyone upset. I enjoy the dining room and understand the HAL is different than NCL just looking to make sure I don't overpack and bring the appropriate attire. I like the fact that people take time to dress up and even though you are on vacation wear something that you may not wear every day while at home to dinner. From what I hear dinner on HAL is to be celebrated in every way! PS.... I am usually the one in a sequin dress asking myself...."is this formal night?" So thanks for all of your input!

Thank you for clarifying your original question. I think you will like HAL formal nights.

I had planned to wear a nice sparkly blouse and capris for formal nite my last cruise, but I had a hell of a time trying to find dressy sandals (much less heels) in a 14EEE *S*

*sigh* so it was back to the grey slacks, navy blazer and boring rep tie. What's a fella to do?

I bet you'd look a treat in a sparkly blouse and capris:) However, your fallback plan of grey trousers, navy blazer and rep tie is the absolute most flattering dressup look for any fella. Do you think you could still wear the dressy sandals, or d'you think they'd clash?

I can not wait! I like traditional & look forward to experiencing a wonderful time on HAL. Thanks again.

I'd like to read your review after the cruise. The two lines are so totally differnt in all aspects that I'm wondering how you will like the drasitc difference. Have a wonderful time! What ship/itinerary will you be sailing?

What made ME laugh was the constant reference to "Capri pants" ; WHICH Capri pants- like Mary Tyler Moore wore which went to the ankle OR the newer version -which is what WE called "Pedal-pushers" [ just below the knee] in my day! ;)

Funny thing to me was a couple diff. times on the formal nights men did have ties on and that is great but...... Black jeans looking dress pants, light bright purple shirt and a blue bling looking tie. Looked like a clown to me but he was following the dress code. The other man had on pink pants, pink shirt and a red tie??? Oh and his wife had pink on also. What a laugh my wife and I had. Easy for a man to remember dress code no jacket no enter, no tie no enter, one or the other will get you in. I wonder if a western string tie will get you in?

Looking forward to my first HAL cruise on Aug. 5th - do people really get dressed up for the two formal nights? Are nice blouses and slacks/capri pants plus bling acceptable?

Yes, people really get dressed up for formal nights.

Yes, you'd be fine with nice blouse and slacks plus bling. (I'm not so sure about capris. I wouldn't recommend them for formal nights.)

On both of our HAL cruises I've worn a sequin top with black palazzo slacks and have fit right in. My husband usually wears a tux on formal nights but in Alaska for our third formal night he wore a dark jacket with dark slacks and didn't feel out of place.

HAL's MDR formal night dress code suggestion is a snap. Jacket and tie in the MDR for men, smart casual in the Lido. Same equiv. for ladies.

What could be easier to understand?

This is of course, the nub.

1. Definition of "formal." Everyone has a different conceptualization, and each cruise line defines it a little differently amongst them. Some people grumble that tuxedoes are "not really formal, white tie is!" while some feel that they are "formal" with a tie and/or a jacket (or less).

2. Add in the lines lax enforcement while scrambling to fill cabins make them likely to allow nearly anything to maintain capacity near 100%("Don't want to upset the paying customers") and you get what we have: a large gap in the middle that you can drive a truck through (while wearing shorts, ball cap and a tee shirt).

3. Wishy-washy language on the lines part in the "code"- e.g.: "suggest" "request" "encourage", etc. does nothing to clear this up for the people who truly want to know what is going on. Sigh

Bottom line, there is a tradition of cruising being something special, and, dare I say, elegant, so the lines who wish to should continue to try to make a portion of the cruise special and elegant for those so inclined. The lines which want to remain strictly casual exist for those who enjoy that. There are plenty of cabins out there for everyone.

Cheers

Mark

We have sailed on NCL a lot. Their dress code is resort casual on all nights which is no shorts ect. They do have a formal optional night one or two times during the trip where the staff is dressed in tuxs and they take formal pictures with the Capt. If I showed pictures of the MDR from HAL and NCL on this night it would look the same as far as pass dress was concerned. On NCL all think it was a great night, on HAL it wasn't so good as all did not follow the rules. I think this is just a rule thing, they must be followed at all cost.

Archived