Flights changed, what can I do?

Sorry about the snag in your plans, OP.

Thanks for the education on Choice Air, greatam.

Note, I suspect RCI isn't moved to change the Choice Air arrangement because the rescheduled flight still meets their stated arrival deadline.

Use this tool:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Air+Travel&faqId=2724&faqSubjectId=324&faqType=faq

The results I got for Liberty 10/27/2012 out of Barcelona were arrival time of 1:30 PM. See attachment (sorry about resolution--in a hurry, can't fix now!).

Good luck, and bon voyage!

RCI_arrival_Liberty_Barcelona.pdf

From the RCI website http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/topTenFAQs/detail.do?pagename=top_10_faqs&pnav=4&snav=2&faqId=1166&faqSubjectName=Top+10+FAQ&

However, you didn't read down far enough to see that my statement was already questioned. I was going by what is required here in the US.

I don't see why embarkation at a foreign port would be any different than embarkation at a US port.

Because US Homeland Security does not operate in other contries.

If the OP's cruise was strictly a European cruise, you would be correct.

BUT-the OP is on a TA that ends in the USA. Manifests MUST be transmitted from Europe to the USA BEFORE planes fly or ships leave. The USA wants to know EXACTLY who is on the ship and landing on their shores and the manifest must be run through DHS databases before the ship departs. Same thing with airline manifests and why once in a while a NY/PH/ATL/MIA, etc. etc. bound plane from Europe ends up landing in Maine or Nova Scotia with law enforcement surrounding the plane.

It could really reek havoc with a ship's schedule to have to stop in Nova Scotia or Quebec, take passengers off AND in the case of a ship, I would almost guess that there would be an EXTENSIVE search of the ship to make sure no contraband was on it. Pretty easy to check a plane, not easy in the least to check a ship.

Many foreign airports have additional security in place for passengers on flights to the US. The US requires this of them. So the rules of the US can certainly apply if the people on board a craft are going to the US.

• 3 weeks later...
First I would call the cruise line and find out what the latest time you can board is. Then you should know that it is about 20 minutes from the airport to the pier if you take a taxi. (I know nothing about rush hour, I just remember it is a short drive). Find out if you have to clear customs. Add time to get off plane which can be 20 minutes if you are in the back and add time to walk through the airport.

Pack as much as you can in carryons. You should clear onto the plane with a roller carryon and a large backpack. Carefully choose the essentials to stuff in those bags. You can buy t-shirts, sweatshirts and sweatpants on board. Wear your heaviest sneakers, jeans/pants, and layer a t-shirt, top, and jacket on the plane. If you have one larger bag between you and spouse, I wonder if the plane is late landing and you do not see the cruiseline rep at the luggage pickup, if you can leave the luggage at the airport rather than wait for luggage. Grab a cab. Call the airline before you get on the ship and tell them you couldn't find your luggage and you panicked and didn't stop to fill out paperwork because you would miss your cruise. Of course make sure you have all the phone numbers with you and your bags are properly labeled, with your itinerary inside the bag. Know there is the possibility you may not get your bag for the cruise.

Curious if anyone else thinks this could work if the flight is delayed an hour or two.

Really good advice for anyone travelling to a cruise on the same day - and make sure that you pop your swimwear into your bag too. I think the flight could be delayed for an hour and they would just about make it.

I always dream of travelling to vacations with only carryons. One day I will do it.

After several phone calls and a strongly worded email we are now on the 8:25 flight that we were on originally.

Paul

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

I am so pleased for you - arriving at the airport at 6 am is not so much fun, but it is really so much better.

Have a wonderful cruise. ... one day I too will do a TA.

I understand, that you bought your Cruise AND your flight through RCCL.

You booked in Britain.

In european law they sold you a package and are responsible for that.

See Art. 2 Directive (European Union) 90/314/EWG from 13. Juli 1990

There were several lawsuits to make this directive more clear.

It means: 2 components combined from an agency (RCCL is the agency in this case) makes a "Package tour" which is covered by law and which makes the agency responsible for EVERYTHING.

Sorry - my english is not good enough to explain everything about this law - but I am sure you find enough help with the information I provided.

RCCL knows, that they are responsible - but they try refuse and leave you alone with your problem and solve it alone....

Happy that you found a solution - and next time - you know what to do and to say...

"it is the law!"

Wendy

After several phone calls and a strongly worded email we are now on the 8:25 flight that we were on originally.

Paul

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Congrats and we'll done. I assume you feel relieved and now look forward to a great TA onboard Liberty, we really enjoyed our TA on her last year.

Archived