moped or bus/ferry or taxi

cycomyco

Me and my lady on star to bermuda 8/26 in cabin 10006.

I have heard mopeds may be dangerous or at least challenging.

Taxi's can be quite $$$.

I was leaning towards 3day transpo pass for bus and ferry but then ive been reading about how crowded and uncomfortable the buses can be.

I will not ride on bus where we are jammed in like sardines. no way.

Please advise about bus situation.

also, one solution could be take ferry to hamilton and st george and taxi for the beach day? Help !!

Taxi's can be quite $$$.

I was leaning towards 3day transpo pass for bus and ferry but then ive been reading about how crowded and uncomfortable the buses can be.

also, one solution could be take ferry to hamilton and st george and taxi for the beach day? Help !!

Go part way down this page for images of the Royal Navy Dockyard. You will find images/info on the ferry. There is a link on the page for the RNDY. The images show what the ferries look like, where are they located and getting tickets, etc. We purchased tickets right on the pier but as I recall we needed cash. We were on Carnival but NCL ties up at the other end of the pier. There is a picture of the pier with no ship because NCL changed their itinerary because of a storm. Go for the ferry/bus pass, it's a lot safer and much more fun. The crowd depends on when you get on. We rode one bus that was full because there were 15 of US. Later, there weren't many on the bus.

http://pasqualehome.com/Miracle2011/Miracle_9-11-11_Cruise.htm

Morning. We were in Bermuda the first week of July, docked in Hamilton. We bought a 3 day pass. The line to buy the tickets was long but the buses were never crowded. We always had a seat and there were very few people on it. We went to the beaches, the caves and St George. The drivers seem to go fast but that could be an illusion since the roads are so narrow ( or at least that's what I kept telling myself :) ) Drivers and passengers were very friendly and helpful with directions. Have a great time!!

We also found the ferry/bus pass an excellent way to get around. The only time we found the bus crowded was at the end of the work/school day when we were boarding in Hamilton. The bus was full, but not to the extent that you'd find in any major city here during rush hour. I don't recall the buses being uncomfortable at all.

I remember hearing that it's customary to greet the driver with Good Morning or Good Afternoon when you board the bus. You'll find them very friendly and helpful.

Taxi's can be quite $$$.

Just a comment on the buses. I did not find them to be uncomfortable. For crowding, the only time I had to stand was on a route #7 bus going from Horseshoe Bay to the Dockyards. On the bus going to St George, I sat for the entire trip and I don't remember any standees.

There is more to Bermuda than just St George and Hamilton, by only going where a ferry will take you, you'll be missing out on much of what makes Bermuda a cruising destination.

SBtS

Bermuda's buses are great. The only time I remember it being crowded was getting on the bus at the Botanic Gardens. I think it was shift change at the hospital (same stop), and many people were getting on. Otherwise, in lots of bus rides in Bermuda, I've never had to stand.

Unless you're an experienced rider, don't even think about the mopeds or scooters. Even then, I don't think I'd do it. It's way too dangerous, plus you'd be driving on the "other" side of the road.

I personally would stay away from the scooters. On our July 1st trip to Bermuda on of the ladies rented a scooter on wednesday morning and had an accident and was in the hospital for most of the day. She received 30 stiches and had really bad road rash. I told her she was lucky as one of the bus drivers told us about a women the week prior that actually lost her leg in a scooter accident. To me it is not worth the risk no matter how fun it may sound. The bus/ferry system is awesome and that is how me and dh got around. Like someone else posted the bus drivers are very helpful. Just make sure to greet them upon boarding and wish them a good day upon exit. Bermuda is wonderful so have a great time.

We bought the 3-day transportation pass and it couldn't have worked out better! The buses and ferries were clean and ran often. After seeing how narrow the streets were, I would never suggest a scooter--taking your life in your hands! The lines right outside the ship were long, but went very quickly. I heard taxis were expensive, so we chose not to take them. However, I have heard that you can get a great tour of the island by taxis who are willing to point out things, stop for pics, etc.

We've been to Bermuda many, many times. Done scooters twice, bus/ferry all the others. I'd do bus/ferry pass. We NEVER were on a bus that was totally full w/pax standing. The bus/ferry schedule is very good, stops are frequent and no matter where you want to go, I don't think you'd have to walk more than a block or so and the people on the bus are a delight to strike up a conversation with. You just may end up with some good tips on what to stop and see (or not) where to grab a bite or a beverage and learn a little bit of local history. We love taking the bus/ferry whilst in Bermuda!

I would say do not go with the mopeds. We had the unfortunate experience on our cruise that just ended of having to ride in an ambulance with a seriously ill friend. I was in the front seat. As the driver tried to make her way through the morning rush hour traffic I could see people who were driving their car not quite knowing how to get out of the way (no road shoulder to pull off on, narrow roads, twisting in areas, hilly, etc.). We squeezed between cars stopped on either side with no room to spare. I saw someone on a moped trying to pass around a stopped car, possibly not knowing the ambulance was there (can't imagine how you do not see it or hear it, so probably just plain stupid or thought it was coming up from behind them & not in front of them) and pulled out within inches of the front fender of the ambulance. Others on mopeds who were probably tourists seemed to panic as this ambulance with siren blaring & lights flashing came towards them with them not knowing where they should pull over or stop.

Your brain is wired to go with what is familiar in an emergency. I don't think most people are ready to handle reacting to emergency vechiles when there are these different variables involved, such as going around traffic circles on the opposite side of the road.

Even if you are not concerned with other people's welfare, I spoke to a couple staying at a hotel on the island & they said on Saturday night alone there were 2 different moped crashes near where they were staying. One was with a car that was substantially damaged, so they can only imagine the damage to the person on the moped.

.....As a Brit I am used to riding on the left and I do have experience of riding a scooter and I really liked the idea of freedom to roam and explore with my wife on the back behind me.

However as the mitigating reasons not to have proved to be compelling:

1) The wearing of suitable clothing will mean taking multiple outfits.

2) The consuming of Alcohol will be a non starter (Not a great drinker, would have to have a Zero tolerance if riding in a strange place.

3) The Ferries and buses look clean and the timetables show regular trips at most times of the day

4) More relaxing to let someone else take the strain.

5) A three day pass for two is more cost effective for two.

So I have set aside my romantic notions and will be using Bermudas wonderful public transport services and will partake safely and guilt free of their local Micro brewery beverages and a Rum cocktail or two.

Archived