Tuck/untuck on casual nights for dinner

My favorite things to wear are khaki pants with a short-sleeve button up shirt untucked (think hawaiian-style shirt without the bright and funky patterns). Is this cool for casual nights in the dining room or are you expected to tuck your shirt in? Thanks.

My favorite things to wear are khaki pants with a short-sleeve button up shirt untucked (think hawaiian-style shirt without the bright and funky patterns). Is this cool for casual nights in the dining room or are you expected to tuck your shirt in? Thanks.

It would never be "cool" to tuck in an Aloha shirt.

;) :D

jc

Definitely no tuck.

I definitely wouldn't tuck one of those types of shirts. However, is it acceptable to wear those type of shirts in the first place, considering I would not tuck. If not, I would just have to resort to tuckable polo-style shirts, which would stink because I wear those 4 days a week at work.

I guess my question is, is not-tucking in general accepted? Thanks again.

During the day, I often have my shirt "untucked". Usually, if a casual night, I do tuck it in - but then, it is not a Hawaiin shirt, nor is it a polo.

I think the shirt described untucked is fine.

cdollaz: thank you, thank you, thank you, for caring enough about this issue to ask. All neatly groomed passengers appreciate your attention to following the dress code! I am sure that you will look wonderful in your shirt, tucked in or left out. My son often wears a shirt like the one you are describing over a plain, form-fitting tee shirt, and looks VERY handsome and nicely dressed.

Mom to the core.

Naren never tucks, and no one has ever thrown a roll at him. :)

To quote Naren, "I like to tuck in my shirts but I don't because I have a ponch, otherwise I'd tuck in my shirt no matter if it was hawaiian or dress or what."

I wanted to point out that one way Hawaii residents can "spot" the tourists is that they wear the bright/funky patterns (and particularly when the whole family "matches"). There's nothing wrong with bright and funky--I've got a couple myself--but the real deal (think back several decades) have more subdued colors and patterns and can be very classy looking. Just an FYI.

You will be fine in an untucked casual shirt of that type. (Too true, aloha shirts should never, ever be tucked in. :D )

beachchick

With that style shirt (straight bottom), definitely UNtuck. With a dressier shirt, if you are younger and fashion-conscious, untuck......if you are an older man, tuck (you will just look silly or disheveled if you untuck!).

My excuse is that the friction of the shirt inside the pants would destroy my vintage aloha shirts, what with the half-century-old fibers and all. Tucking an aloha shirt or a square-bottom camp shirt would be the fashion equivalent of folding the top of your pantyhose over the waistband of a skirt.

Eric

With that style shirt (straight bottom), definitely UNtuck. With a dressier shirt, if you are younger and fashion-conscious, untuck......if you are an older man, tuck (you will just look silly or disheveled if you untuck!).

Excuse me for looking silly and disheveled. Hope it won't spoil your cruise if you see me.

To tuck in a Hawaiian shirt is to miss the point. It's all about relaxation and the spirit of Aloha.

What's wrong with funky colors and patterns? I love them, both DH and DS wear them year round.

Nothing is wrong with bright colors and funky patterns. I said nothing is wrong with them and that I have some aloha shirts like that myself--and I love them. :D I was simply pointing out that the traditional aloha shirts are typically more subtle than the ones most non-Hawaii residents think of. It is one of the ways that residents can spot tourists--think loud and matching. Nothing at all is wrong with that; it was merely an observation.

(Trailercruiser: I don't think it's an '80s Miami Vice look at all. I think it's more like Miami Vice copied the already established casual style of the Caribbean and other "island" countries, as well as our own fair state of Hawaii. :) )

beachchick

Archived