Can Hope the Upgrade Fairy looks kindly at us!

OhioGirl

Just saw on our Celebrity sign in for our cruise on the Equinox, November 16th, 2012 - that they have already assigned us our gty cabin. Looks like a nice cabin...but it sure would be nice to get the call for an upgrade...

If they already assigned your cabin, you won't get another one with an upgrade. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Not necessarily true. We had a guarantee veranda for a June cruise, and initially got assigned to a 1A cabin. But around a week later, we received a notification that we were given an Assisted Sky Suite. :D That was the last change and we were very very happy.

Just saw on our Celebrity sign in for our cruise on the Equinox, November 16th, 2012 - that they have already assigned us our gty cabin. Looks like a nice cabin...but it sure would be nice to get the call for an upgrade...

Hi OhioGirl,

While it can happen, Celebrity doesnt offer complimentary upgrades all that much. They've come to the conclusion that it's better to sell the upgrade, as opposed to it being complimentary. While I respect their decision, I think the goodwill & customer loyalty factor would bring huge dividends, if they offered free upgrades when there's availability.

As an example - Wouldn't all of us appreciate a phone call like this ? :

Hello Mr Smith. We wanted to thank you for being a loyal Celebrity Guest. We noticed that you are sailing on Eclipse next week. As you've sailed 6 times with us, and value your business, we would like to offer a complimentary upgrade from your Veranda Cabin, to our Aqua Class Veranda - which features exclusive access to our BLU specialty restaurant, and several Spa amenities.

Thank you again for your loyalty Mr X, and have a wonderful Celebrity Cruise !

Hi OhioGirl,

While it can happen, Celebrity doesnt offer complimentary upgrades all that much. They've come to the conclusion that it's better to sell the upgrade, as opposed to it being complimentary. While I respect their decision, I think the goodwill & customer loyalty factor would bring huge dividends, if they offered free upgrades when there's availability.

Chances of an upgrade or slim to none, but you can always hope. I've noticed that when they give an upgrade it usually goes to a first time cruiser, not a loyal past cruiser. They appear to be using upgrades and invitations to Captain's tables as a marketing tool. Several Captain's Club Hosts/Hostesses have said as much to me.

Hi OhioGirl,

That certainly would be a nice phone call. I would love it if they called me.:D

Hello Mr Smith. We wanted to thank you for being a loyal Celebrity Guest. We noticed that you are sailing on Eclipse next week. As you've sailed 6 times with us, and value your business, we would like to offer a complimentary upgrade from your Veranda Cabin, to our Aqua Class Veranda - which features exclusive access to our BLU specialty restaurant, and several Spa amenities.

Thank you again for your loyalty Mr X, and have a wonderful Celebrity Cruise !

In view of the huge numbers of such loyal Celebrity Guests on most cruises, isn't this the easiest way to upset a huge number of customers - i.e. all those loyal Celebrity Aqua Class and above guests who have loyally paid for the upgrades for their 6 or more cruises? We already see complaints about the size of Elite events on board.

Sue

In view of the huge numbers of such loyal Celebrity Guests on most cruises, isn't this the easiest way to upset a huge number of customers - i.e. all those loyal Celebrity Aqua Class and above guests who have loyally paid for the upgrades for their 6 or more cruises? We already see complaints about the size of Elite events on board.

Sue

It is only a dream, besides, people get upset no matter what other people do or don't do. You can never please everyone.:D

It is only a dream, besides, people get upset no matter what other people do or don't do. You can never please everyone.:D
Whoa, let me down gently !!! Now you are telling me the 'Upgrade fairy' is only a dream.....Thats almost as bad as telling me Santa isnt true either ! Have you no heart !!!! :D:D

Bet you're fun at a barbie lol...

Whoa, let me down gently !!! Now you are telling me the 'Upgrade fairy' is only a dream.....Thats almost as bad as telling me Santa isnt true either ! Have you no heart !!!! :D:D

Bet you're fun at a barbie lol...

Hang on, I never said the 'Upgrade fairy' was a dream, she is well and truely real. I said the phone call from Celebrity was a dream. And yes, I am fun at the BBQ.:D

On my last cruise with RCCL I was given a free upgrade to the owners suite & on my last Celebrity cruise I was offered an upgrade to a Celebrity suite for a fee of £500 per person. I jumped at the chance. It was worth every penny.

Trouble is, it spoils you.

Just keep your fingers crossed.:)

Thanks for all your feedback...I would love a free upgrade..but know that is pretty much a dream...If Celebrity would call with an offer to purchase an upgrade to one of the bigger suites at a good price I would jump all over that! When we sailed on the NCL Jade, we received a phone call from the upgrade fairy to a Penthouse Suite for an additional 300.00 we loved it (it was a great way to celebrate Brian's 65th birthday) We'll be sailing on the Equinox for his 67th birthday...so again it would be a nice gift for him!

Hi OhioGirl,

And RCI chose Michael Bayley over you to fill the vacancy left as a result of Dan Hanrahan's departure? You sure would have had my vote!

WeLLLLLL dreams do come true & in our case twice in the last 2 years.

The Fairy paid a visit for both our 12 day May '11 Med & 14 night May '12 Baltic cruises. Both times from AQ1 to S1. Wish my luck at the crap table would always be this good. :D

2MC

WeLLLLLL dreams do come true & in our case twice in the last 2 years.

The Fairy paid a visit for both our 12 day May '11 Med & 14 night May '12 Baltic cruises. Both times from AQ1 to S1. Wish my luck at the crap table would always be this good. :D

2MC

Congrats, maybe some of your luck will flow to everyone who reads your post. Heres hoping.:D

We've cruised many times on Celebrity but have never gotten any special treatment or an upgrade cabin. The most rude service and surly treatment has been from Celebrity over the years; but we don't weigh that when making a cruise choice. Fortunately, the service was much improved in 2010 and going forward to the present.

Costa, Princess, and NCL have given nice upgrades, delivered wine, special invitations and gifts.

On our first Holland cruise, we were invited to the Captains Table for a special dinner and met for cocktails in a lounge. However, we took two cruises on Holland and will never cruise Holland again - not even for a Free Suite.

-Marisa

We've cruised many times on Celebrity but have never gotten any special treatment or an upgrade cabin. The most rude service and surly treatment has been from Celebrity over the years; but we don't weigh that when making a cruise choice. Fortunately, the service was much improved in 2010 and going forward to the present.

Costa, Princess, and NCL have given nice upgrades, delivered wine, special invitations and gifts.

On our first Holland cruise, we were invited to the Captains Table for a special dinner and met for cocktails in a lounge. However, we took two cruises on Holland and will never cruise Holland again - not even for a Free Suite.

-Marisa

I know...this will be Brian's (my fiance 3 Celebrity cruise) I had to beg him to go on them again...the other two didn't turn out too well...I wanted to go to Greece and the Equinox had the best Greece ports so we are going...I'm just hoping everything turns out wonderful and he doesn't hate me for talking him into to going on them again!

I have to agree about the attitude of staff on board the celebrity. We took our first cruise with them last year and found most of them to be indifferent or rude. We were In aqua class and had per paid tips and can only hope that because they know that their tips are guaranteed they felt they didn't have to bother. We have booked again for the wine cruise in september as it was the itinerary we wanted but have opted to not pre pay this time to see if that makes any difference. We have never pre paid on any of our other cruises with other lines and have had excellent service, which has been well rewarded by healthy tips at the end, let's hope this time proves to be the same!!!!

Sorry, but I've just got to say that we cruise because we love the total experience. We do not expect to make "friends" with the staff--if they are friendly, (which they have always been in over 20 cruises) we enjoy it. But a snippy or inattentive waiter or cabin attendant would not affect our enjoyment of being on the sea, seeing new places. enjoying not having to plan and cook meals. And I wouldn't even mind if they didn't make up our bed, I don't always do it at home either! Just enjoy your cruise!

-Marisa

Hi Marisa. I know we all experience different things while cruising. Read the "Welcome Mr. Bayley" thread and you'll find wonderful examples of outstanding service thaat went way beyond expectations. I've generally be provided with excellent srvice; however, there have been some major exceptions. Fortunately they've been few and far between. The Captain's Table is now being used by lines, including HAL, Princess and Celebrity as a marketing tool to lure frequent passengers of a compeating line. I've been to a number of Captain's Tables where passengers on their first Celebrity cruise were at the table. One couple who are HAL Loyalist remarked that they had been on over 25 HAL cruises and have never been invited to sit at the Captain's Table. They said that they were going to shift their business to Celebrity. The ploy appears to work. I'll be on Solstice tomorrow and look forward to being spoiled.

Archived