New chair hog policy on carnival wish RCL would follow

I AM totally against chair hogs, but what about if 1 chair is holding 4 pairs of shoes, 4 towels, and I am in the pool with the grandchildren? Where can I place my stuff? in the middle of the deck? I hate when I see a family go and put all their stuff on several chairs (knowing the kids will never sit!), but I do need somewhere to place our things. I AM a big advocate for these types of rules, I'm actually spending time at a timeshare this week and boy was I made about the number of towels spread out. But what does a family do with their stuff? go back after 40 minutes, sit for a few minutes then back to the pool? try explaining that to a 3 and 4 year old!
When my kids were small enough that I had to be right next to them in the pool every single minute, they didn't really want to stay in 40 minutes straight. It was more like swim 20 minutes, go to the chairs to get a different pool toy, swim some more, get out for the rest room, swim some more, time for a snack or drink. The point: The pool staff would see you coming and going, and they would know you weren't chair-hogging.

Next time beat the chair hogs at their own game.

Get up earlier than them and put some towels/books on some chairs so they can't get them.

This way you will have some chairs later in the day when you come back.

Works every time...

I don't think out hogging the chair hog is the answer to this problem.

I had to address this post . Last Year while on Allure we came out to the pool at 10am and there was two ladies and in between them were 6 chairs .They were talking back and forth so we knew they were holding the chairs. My girlfriend and I found two chairs but they were off to the side in the shade. I went over and asked if they were taken and they said yes it was there family. So I walked away and figured Id wait for my not so shy hubby to come. 20 minutes later he arrived and we explained story so he went over and asked where the people who were using the chairs and as the woman swirled her hand in the air saying around my hubby said since they had been gone for 25 minutes and he would give them 5 more and then he was taking the chairs. She started babbling about something as he walked away .5 minutes later we all arrived to take the chairs now four of us and she started yelling as we layed out our towels and sat down. I prayed she would stop before my not so shy Lawyer husband let loose but no such luck. He finally stood up and informed her , her family had not made an appearence in 40 minutes and should she have a problem to please feel free to call the management so he can explain that she was hogging the chairs. She then yelled who the hell made you the f______ing chair police and he said as a matter of fact I am thank you for

recognizing that and sailing 20 plus cruises they give you that honor. We all had a great laugh and people around us applauded . So now we use the half hour rule and give them 5 minutes notice. We sail next month again and to be sure we will have to do it again. pass it on :)

I love it!!! You husband rocks!!! I have a very similar wide open mouth. :)

What is to stop a person saving several chairs for absent friends/family from "mussing up the towels" or switching place savers around and then removing the stickers as soon as the pool person is out of sight?

You know there is always someone out to "beat the system."

I'm not a pool person so it hasn't bothered me but I do see a lot of frustrated people wandering around trying to find a place and feel for them.

Tucker in Texas

What is to stop a person saving several chairs for absent friends/family from "mussing up the towels" or switching place savers around and then removing the stickers as soon as the pool person is out of sight?

Tucker in Texas

That's a valid point... seems like a potential hole in the system. Ideally, you'd hope that the pool monitors would be observant enough to notice what is going on, but you really can't count on that.

This system isn't perfect but Carnival deserves props for doing something about chair hogs. Even if the scenario Tucker described occurs and that particular hog beats the system, you'll still have a bunch of other chairs that would have otherwise been hogged by absentee hogs that will become open and available.

I look at it from another point of view.

As long as you look not guilty, you can do anything.

Leisurely walk around the deck scoping out the situation.

Find 2 chairs with towels on them and nothing else of value, like shoes, books and such.

Tell DH where they are and give him your stuff.

Go in pool get wet

Get out of pool go to chairs like they were yours

Have husband follow

Casually place those chair hogger towels on ground under chair.

Immenient domain, rest on the chairs.

When the chair hogs return

Look innocent, ' . . . there were no towels on these chairs, oh look whats under them! Oh my I've been here for quite awhile, and never saw those towels here.' You better check your towel count so you dont get billed $25 for each towel.

I bet the pool patrol moved your stuff.

"WOW read about them but didnt know they would really take your stuff".

Better luck next time

Better stay with your stuff or GET OUTA POOL TO CHECK ON IT.

Yeah

Would love to do it

But once again I chickened out on Freedom

Found two chairs by each other in shade by Sprinkles soft serve.......bad location..........ate to many cones.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

That's a valid point... seems like a potential hole in the system. Ideally, you'd hope that the pool monitors would be observant enough to notice what is going on, but you really can't count on that.

This system isn't perfect but Carnival deserves props for doing something about chair hogs. Even if the scenario Tucker described occurs and that particular hog beats the system, you'll still have a bunch of other chairs that would have otherwise been hogged by absentee hogs that will become open and available.

I certainly agree, it is a giant step in the right direction and, if people know they will be busted, they may not be so quick to hog.

If I saw someone taking the stickers off as soon as the Pool Police's back was turned, I'd go to the Pool Police and tell them what I just observed. Whether he/she would have enough nerve to confront the saver would be another matter, though.

Tucker in Texas

I may be wrong, I could be wrong, I am probably wrong...but our opinions on CC always seem to sway to the negative.

So, I will take the other side of the coin. WIth Carnival actually trying to work on the problem, with the exposure the problem got in USA Today, and the chatter here on CC, maybe there will be a change in attitude at RCI and they will enforce the rules.

All the naysayers are welcome to jump on a ship and report back the total and complete failaure of any and all efforts to solve the problem....we will wait until November and look for positive results.

Maybe it just comes from reading to many threads, but it seems there is more desire the "hate" the cruise line so many of us prefer, just wonder how RCI actually gets anyone on any of their ships!

I may be wrong, I could be wrong, I am probably wrong...but our opinions on CC always seem to sway to the negative.

So, I will take the other side of the coin. WIth Carnival actually trying to work on the problem, with the exposure the problem got in USA Today, and the chatter here on CC, maybe there will be a change in attitude at RCI and they will enforce the rules.

All the naysayers are welcome to jump on a ship and report back the total and complete failaure of any and all efforts to solve the problem....we will wait until November and look for positive results.

Maybe it just comes from reading to many threads, but it seems there is more desire the "hate" the cruise line so many of us prefer, just wonder how RCI actually gets anyone on any of their ships!

It's the FOOD!!! :D Oh, everyone hates that, too. :eek: ;) But they keep on eating. (between trips in the pool)

Gina

I concur. I thought I was the only one who got on their ships because I enjoyed them!

So you have helped me figure it out! The chairs hogs are the ones that overfill their plates in the WJ and cannot get back to their saved seats because they are too busy going back for seconds so when they get home they can come here and post about what a terrible product RCI has!

Might be a good idea.

Our recent AOS trip we were amazed at people reserving loungers in the sun and in the shaded area. Then going off for breakfast for 2 hrs. Returning to spend some time in the sun maybe for an hr or so. Only then to move to thier shaded loungers.

Did they give up the sunny seats? of course not.

Cracked me up to watch the games they were all playing.

These types of people makes me want to scream!

I concur. I thought I was the only one who got on their ships because I enjoyed them!

So you have helped me figure it out! The chairs hogs are the ones that overfill their plates in the WJ and cannot get back to their saved seats because they are too busy going back for seconds so when they get home they can come here and post about what a terrible product RCI has!

You are a fast learner. :D

Some of the greatest fun is in watching what people do. ;)

Gina

Archived