New chair hog policy on carnival wish RCL would follow

I AM totally against chair hogs, but what about if 1 chair is holding 4 pairs of shoes, 4 towels, and I am in the pool with the grandchildren? Where can I place my stuff? in the middle of the deck? I hate when I see a family go and put all their stuff on several chairs (knowing the kids will never sit!), but I do need somewhere to place our things. I AM a big advocate for these types of rules, I'm actually spending time at a timeshare this week and boy was I made about the number of towels spread out. But what does a family do with their stuff? go back after 40 minutes, sit for a few minutes then back to the pool? try explaining that to a 3 and 4 year old!

All you have to do is go and take the sticker off your chair(s) then jump back in the pool...1-2 minutes of your time. I can explain that to a 3-4 year old easy.

But if you're in your stateroom sleeping, or having a leisurely meal in the WJ, that would be hard to explain to a 3-4 year old.

glad they are enforcing the rules....now if they would be as strict with booze smugglers and other rule breakers.

All you have to do is go and take the sticker off your chair(s) then jump back in the pool...1-2 minutes of your time. I can explain that to a 3-4 year old easy.

But if you're in your stateroom sleeping, or having a leisurely meal in the WJ, that would be hard to explain to a 3-4 year old.

glad they are enforcing the rules....now if they would be as strict with booze smugglers and other rule breakers.

thanks for the explanation of how to not get my stuff moved, hadn't thought of that:confused:

One RCCL ship I was on years ago, did this same thing with the stickers.. I've never seen it done before or since. I'm usually my own Deck Patrol... I'll walk around and if I see items on unattended chairs for more than 30 mins, I simply remove those items and hand them to a Pool Attendant and take over those chairs. On a very rare occassion did anyone ever come back to those seats while we were sitting there... the few times people did, we just directed them to the Pool Attendant.

I Just cam back from Allure. I was up there at 10:45 and amazed at the chairs saves. at 11:15 I went to the pool attendant and said I want these 2 chairs. out of 6 that had just towels on them. He grabbed the the 2 towels and took them away. another couple came by looking and I told them have the attendant take them. The last 2, 2 older woman came up at little after 1 and grabbed the last 2 that they saved for themselves. I wish I tripped and spilled my icewater on them. :)

This happen another day too. I just got the attendant. People are so rude to do that.

One funny thing someone posted a note that they lost their book in one of the pool chairs on the function board. I wanted to write on the card, probably chair hog, check with the pool deck. :)

I AM totally against chair hogs, but what about if 1 chair is holding 4 pairs of shoes, 4 towels, and I am in the pool with the grandchildren? Where can I place my stuff? in the middle of the deck? I hate when I see a family go and put all their stuff on several chairs (knowing the kids will never sit!), but I do need somewhere to place our things. I AM a big advocate for these types of rules, I'm actually spending time at a timeshare this week and boy was I made about the number of towels spread out. But what does a family do with their stuff? go back after 40 minutes, sit for a few minutes then back to the pool? try explaining that to a 3 and 4 year old!

If I were going to be in the pool that long, I would put the shoes and towels in a large bag and set them on the edge of the platform around the pool near where I was playing with the kids. I'd rather have my stuff closer to me rather than use a chair farther away that I didn't even need.

Gina

What you are doing is actually very considerate of others. Using one chair to store your family's things while you are using the pool area is completely acceptable. What you are describing is not chair hogging.

I like the idea!!! :)

But I like the idea of leaving my underpants on the chair to hog it' date=' because unless you're sporting a pair of gloves, no one is going to remove someone else's underwear from a chair...successfully hogged. :D[/quote']

..and if the underwear have "skid marks" than you will have a seat for the entire cruise......;):D

I saw a pool attendant use the stickers on the Explorer in the solarium during our July 5 cruise. The people came back over an hour later furious. The chair hogs had tried to save six chairs on a pool day. The lady was complaining that she was exercising by walking on the track.

I saw the pool attendant use it another time but the people were just in the pool and removed the stickers when they came back to the chair.

I saw a pool attendant use the stickers on the Explorer in the solarium during our July 5 cruise. The people came back over an hour later furious. The chair hogs had tried to save six chairs on a pool day. The lady was complaining that she was exercising by walking on the track.

I saw the pool attendant use it another time but the people were just in the pool and removed the stickers when they came back to the chair.

Good for the attendant. My response to her would have been that you are either walking the track or sitting by the pool, not both.

We once had a lady sitting in a booth in the Maharajas Lounge, by herself, shoo my wife, myself and our MDR Table mates away...obviously saving it for her tardy party. Being new to cruising, I said nothing. If that happens this time, it's not going down like that again.

I know I shouldn't be encouraging you,,,, but:

Why the heck should I spend even 10 minutes of my vacation looking for a lounge chair so some jerk can get an extra hour of sleep?

Next time beat the chair hogs at their own game.

Get up earlier than them and put some towels/books on some chairs so they can't get them.

This way you will have some chairs later in the day when you come back.

Works every time...

I love this policy!

I hope it works and that RCI starts a program like this soon.

I think RCI did start it. Back in May of 2011 I posted the Meet the Allure chair hog thread and posted pics of RCI crew members doing exactly this and that thread also blew up on Carnivals board. I'm not surprised they are doing it, the key, will they be as active about it on the same ship in 6 months?

We are always able to find chairs, even on busy sea days.

You just need to walk around and keep an eye out for people coming and going.

Keep asking, it never took more than 10 minutes...

That has been the case for me as well on every RCI cruise I've ever been on. Not so on Carnival though. I don't know why but Carnival cruisers are THE worst when it comes to chogging, IMO. When we were on the Valor a couple years ago I experienced a first. EVERY chair on deck had a body in it or a book, flip flop, towel, book or whatever. I'm not lying when I say I walked the entire lido deck on each level - there was no chair to be had.anywhere. After that cruise I was determined to never have that happen again. If I can't find an open chair, I take one that looks like its been chogged, remove the contents putting them on the floor and then move the chair. That way if the person comes back they have no idea where there chair is.

Last year on the Oasis they were doing this in the solarium but I think they only gave you 20 minutes

20 minutes? Even 30 minutes might not be enough...

I like to get a nice chair/location, but that doesn't mean I might leave to go to the pool, find the wife, maybe get an ice cream cone and even use the 'little boy's' room.

I guess it will be pool > chair, find wife > chair, ice cream cone > chair, potty > chair.

But, I will say that watching 'chair hoggers' is great entertainment.

Especially when they get 'nabbed'!!

The big question is whether they will have the will on every voyage one very ship (should it go fleet wide) to enforce this. I really hope they do. I'll be on the Breeze for New Year's so I guess I'll see for myself.

You should not have to get out of the pool to remove a sticker from your chair. There needs to be some time limit - maybe an hour so that those who like to be in the water for a while can still enjoy the pool. I am not a sunbather and use the chair for my towel and coverup while in the pool and also while drying off and having a diet coke before leaving the pool area. Many times, my husband will be in the chair next to mine reading or relaxing. We usually get a couple of chairs in the shade. If our sons are with us, we still only get 2 chairs for the 5 of us as most of us are in the pool.

You should not have to get out of the pool to remove a sticker from your chair. There needs to be some time limit - maybe an hour so that those who like to be in the water for a while can still enjoy the pool. I am not a sunbather and use the chair for my towel and coverup while in the pool and also while drying off and having a diet coke before leaving the pool area. Many times, my husband will be in the chair next to mine reading or relaxing. We usually get a couple of chairs in the shade. If our sons are with us, we still only get 2 chairs for the 5 of us as most of us are in the pool.

That would not be a problem if someone is in most of the chairs for your group. You would not have 3 chairs lined up with no people and back issues of People magazine on one and a flip flop on each of the other 2. Your family member can easily point to you in the pool and say - there she is.

New policies are all well and good, but their efficacy depends on consistent enforcement. Only time will tell whether Carnival is successful and that will depend on how well and how consistently the policy is enforced.

I had to address this post . Last Year while on Allure we came out to the pool at 10am and there was two ladies and in between them were 6 chairs .They were talking back and forth so we knew they were holding the chairs. My girlfriend and I found two chairs but they were off to the side in the shade. I went over and asked if they were taken and they said yes it was there family. So I walked away and figured Id wait for my not so shy hubby to come. 20 minutes later he arrived and we explained story so he went over and asked where the people who were using the chairs and as the woman swirled her hand in the air saying around my hubby said since they had been gone for 25 minutes and he would give them 5 more and then he was taking the chairs. She started babbling about something as he walked away .5 minutes later we all arrived to take the chairs now four of us and she started yelling as we layed out our towels and sat down. I prayed she would stop before my not so shy Lawyer husband let loose but no such luck. He finally stood up and informed her , her family had not made an appearence in 40 minutes and should she have a problem to please feel free to call the management so he can explain that she was hogging the chairs. She then yelled who the hell made you the f______ing chair police and he said as a matter of fact I am thank you for

recognizing that and sailing 20 plus cruises they give you that honor. We all had a great laugh and people around us applauded . So now we use the half hour rule and give them 5 minutes notice. We sail next month again and to be sure we will have to do it again. pass it on :)

Archived