Butler and Concierge workload

cocheese

My DW and I will be testing the waters of the suite life on the Dawn next June. So I obviously come to CC and scoure the boards to see what all we can expect, and I must say I can see why they say you can never go back.

After reading all of the threads when it comes to tipping the Butler and Concierge I have gained the knowledge of the obvious. Tip depending on how much you use the services provided by each. The "General" consensus that I have found is around $140 for the Butler, and anywhere from $50 - $100 for the Concierge.

With that being said what is the workload for each? I am sure there are many Butlers, but how many rooms on average are they serving? It appears there is only 1 concierge, and I am assuming that they have assistants.

But I started doing some math on the concierge(and admit I do not know how many places the tips get divided) but if the congierge had 2 assistants and each room gave $100 on my Dawn sailing that would be over $6,000 for the week and over $300,000 a year and divide that by 3 and it's still over $100,000 a year that is mainly tax free as most are given in cash, they have free room and board, and am sure they still receive some pay from the cruiseline.

I hope you experinced cruisers can shed some light on this. I normally tip above and beyond what is expected, but this just seemed a little out of line. If it's not then I will gladly tip accordingly.

Thank You for your input.

Personally, I think tipping should be based on the service you receive, not what you feel the employee should 'net.'

Also, your arithmetic presumes everyone tips the concierge...which appears to not be the case.

I have to agree with computerworks on this one. You are assuming that everyone tips the butler and concierge and they don't. And for those that do, many feel that $50 per week for each is more than adequate.

I would be more concerned about the service you experience from each of them than how many rooms and cruisers they service. To intimate that they may be bringing home the big bucks is an insult to them. Many of the cruise workers, including the butler and possibly the concierge may be sending money home to support an extended (many generations) family. I know that our butler was.

What to tip? What you are comfortable with. DH and I, if we have received great service from the concierge, may tip $150-$250. Same for the butler. If we get great service we tip accordingly, based on their service, not based on who else may be tipping and how much.

There's a huge flaw in your math: they have contracts that are 6 months long (I think that's right for a concierge), then they have 2-3 months at home. Then also consider the hours they work - they are up before the first coffee is brewed and way after any late night parties or get-togethers. They work 7 days per week, may get a few hours off on a port day here and there. And in my experience, I never saw assistants to the concierge - ever! I am friends with a man who used to be a concierge on NCL and I know he didn't have any assistants.

Once you are pampered by butlers and a concierge or two, you will think they are worth their weight in gold!

Karin on the Sun handled 20 rooms and she didn't have any assistants. There were 2 butlers, 10 rooms each.

You can never presume what others tip. I know what I tip and that's good enough for me.

But I started doing some math on the concierge(and admit I do not know how many places the tips get divided) but if the congierge had 2 assistants and each room gave $100 on my Dawn sailing that would be over $6,000 for the week and over $300,000 a year and divide that by 3 and it's still over $100,000 a year that is mainly tax free as most are given in cash, they have free room and board, and am sure they still receive some pay from the cruiseline.

I hope you experinced cruisers can shed some light on this. I normally tip above and beyond what is expected, but this just seemed a little out of line. If it's not then I will gladly tip accordingly.

I'll try to be nice because you are basically new to cruising :)

Please don't do the math.

It bothers the CRAP out of me when people do the math.

What someone earns is NONE of anyone's business. Tip according to the service you receive, your heart and your wallet and leave the calculator alone.

You wouldn't want anyone trying to figure out what you make and what they think you should make...that's just plain wrong.

Have a great cruise :)

The concierge also deals with non suite passengers who are given VIP status so their workload will normally include more than just the number of suites on the ship. No way to do the math on that one but I like your number crunching. Spend all day at it myself. ;)

The concierge also deals with non suite passengers who are given VIP status so their workload will normally include more than just the number of suites on the ship. No way to do the math on that one but I like your number crunching. Spend all day at it myself. ;)

When we cruised in February, our Platinum welcome aboard packet said we had concierge access. So add another group of folks who can (and will) use the concierge.

What do they make? Probably not enough based on some of the requests we've heard!

After further "number crunching" and of course my friend Google I found a job opening for a entry level Concierge at $3,000+ a month. http://www.allcruisejobs.com/i1033/concierge/ And as some of you have said some people don't give anything. If we were to say that half of the PAX do that we would be at salary $36,000 + otheres have stated no assistance Tips(Tax Free) 32 people X $50 = $1600 (Notice I did half of the people and half of the tips) X 52 weeks = $83,200 + salary of $36,000 = $119,200 per year with free room, board, medical...etc.

I also found the same info that a cruis ship Captain makes $153,000 per year http://www.crew-center.com/22-higher-salaries-cruise-ship-captains

I am not trying to stir the pot and say the Concierge do not deserve tips but, I also have to look at it realistically and say that the Captain of the ship should not be making the same amount of money(he has to pay taxes on his income) as the concierge.

Once again, they don't work 52 weeks a year! They work a contract and then go home for 2-3 months (it may be 10 weeks). If you then took what they really made per year by the number of hours, they make well below minimum wage and no OT.

Do you really do this kind of analysis with other people?

First off the employees must pay for their laudered uniforms, all of their toiletries, regarding medical some cruise lines charge the employees as well. This must be factored into your equation as well as the hours that they work.

Once again, they don't work 52 weeks a year! They work a contract and then go home for 2-3 months (it may be 10 weeks). If you then took what they really made per year by the number of hours, they make well below minimum wage and no OT.

Do you really do this kind of analysis with other people?

I am by no means trying to diminish what they do, or say that they do not have a rough job.

I am just saying that even with your math they are still making close to $100,000 a year with a GREAT vacation plan, food, shelter, medical all taken care of.

A Sgt in the Army who works 70-100 hrs per week in all kinds of enviroments makes $30,000 per year(with free room, board, and medical) and taxed on his income who works in a much more hostile environment, never asks for tips. http://www.navycs.com/2012-military-pay-chart.html And he works a minimum of 48 weeks a year.

While you may be right about what a Sgt. makes compared to what a Congierge makes, again, REALLY???

What, if anything at all, does it have to do with tipping your Butler/Concierge?

I am just trying to say that is just because someone 5-10 years ago said I gave the concierge such a dollar amount and that it stuck, does that make it fair, or right? There are plenty of people who work just as hard or harder and would not even dream of making this amount of money. It's the I'm on vacation and here's another $50 or $100 mentality that just seems to get passed on.

I am not trying to pee in anybodys Cheerios. Just trying to rationalize why after a bit of time it's just the norm, when you have to wonder should it be. IMHO the stewards should be getting the $50-$100 and the Concierge the $20(yes I know the stewards are in the DSC pool). And I will most likely tip that way. I just wanted to get people to think, and at the same time was wondering if I was missing something. As I said befor I do not want to stir the pot. If I did I would have started a smoking thread...lol

After further "number crunching" and of course my friend Google I found a job opening for a entry level Concierge at $3,000+ a month. http://www.allcruisejobs.com/i1033/concierge/ And as some of you have said some people don't give anything. If we were to say that half of the PAX do that we would be at salary $36,000 + otheres have stated no assistance Tips(Tax Free) 32 people X $50 = $1600 (Notice I did half of the people and half of the tips) X 52 weeks = $83,200 + salary of $36,000 = $119,200 per year with free room, board, medical...etc.

I also found the same info that a cruis ship Captain makes $153,000 per year http://www.crew-center.com/22-higher-salaries-cruise-ship-captains

I am not trying to stir the pot and say the Concierge do not deserve tips but, I also have to look at it realistically and say that the Captain of the ship should not be making the same amount of money(he has to pay taxes on his income) as the concierge.[/quote

Is tipping going to ruin your vacation? It is really a personal decision as to what to tip. Why book a suite if you are so concerned about tipping?:

Ok so this is what I have learned thru many dealings with butlers and concierges and my personal opinions. First concierges tip from their tips to the resteraunts ie.. matire'd, when they have to get a reservation for a suite or say amlount of guests for a certain place with little or no advance the concierge and maitre'ds help each other out. The butler may or may not help tip the room stewards with rooms the have alot of demands or kids or whatever. The butlers work usually from from 0600-0000hrs or 6am to midnite. Then a nite butler or assistant butler does late room service etc and the butler tips theses asst. SO it isn't like the butler or concierge tips go right all to them. Also cc is not the end all and be all to advise. I didn't know about cc when I first got an upgrade but knew enough to tip my butler but didn't tip concierge even tho I used them for easy on and off at ports and resvations. So even with your theory you do have to factor in other criteria. When one of my butlers got sick he didn't work for half of our cruise I am sure alot of people didn't tip him as much as he might have gotten if he had worked. Enjoy your cruise and no matter how much these people make or not most send alot of moeny home to their families.

The concierge is a solo act - no helpers. On our cruise Anoop was up in his desk in the Cagney's extension area at 6:00 - he met with all of the guests as they came in for breakfast - asking what they were doing for the day - offering suggestions and making sure that our butlers were doing their jobs. He offered to get us off the ship early on two of our ports where there were known to be stampedes. He also helped me get off early for an excursion I had planned through a non ship vendor. We were excorted through the crew exits on these occasions. The Butlers have normal duties such as delevering the afternoon treats, and making sure that the mini bar and coffee makers are stocked. The above and beyond items include in room dining service, getting special treats, and just about anything else you can think of. I have always based my tips on how much I use the above and beyond services of each of them. On a Jewel class ship there are approx 36 suites that use the concierge - I am not sure how may butlers there are. If each cabin tipped him 100.00 for the week he would have 3,600/wk or 93,600 over a 6 mo contract. On our first cruise in a suite they provided envelopes for us to place the cash tip in. On our last cruise there were none - so tipping they butlers and concierge are totally on your own.

And why is it that when others have worked hard, advanced in their chosen careers and are being rewarded for their success some people feel the need to deem them as undeserving of their income? I just don't get it. This is the reward they get for providing outstanding service and making our trip and the hard earned money we spent to go on the trip worthwhile. Thank you to all the staff that have helped make my cruises so memorable and I hope that you make sufficient income to enjoy your time off as much as I do.

Jumping off my soapbox now.

The concierge is a solo act - no helpers.

I have to disagree based on my own experiences. I've been in lower suites three times now and on the last cruise also all four DOS's on the Star were occupied by people from our roll call - and I have spoken with concierge assistant on the phone more than with the concierge personally.

Concierge has been available in person just as you said (we were personally greeted by concierge several times per day, at least on breakfast in Cagney's and usually wherever we went to have dinner after making the res for our gang of 6 with the concierge) but there definitely are other people helping concierge behind the scenes, may it be people normally handling restaurant reservations or somebody else but there is somebody else answering the phone at least on the peak hours. :)

I'd like to know, who are you to feel you have the right to determine what is an acceptable income for someone else?? :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The only thing I can think of is you are one of the people who get quite annoyed when a person in the service industry makes more than you do.

Whatever you do, NEVER hire a lawyer, and NEVER go to the doctor.

Avoid most accountants, and don't drive on any road which has been engineered.

Try as you can to avoid flying, or embarking on a cruiseship.....both of these conveyances have Captains.

Stop reading bestseller books, and only look at art from unknown artists (and 1 or 2 masters...but just specific ones).

You see, all of these people above most likely make more than the concierge you're worried about.

Add to that the majority of corporate salespeople (as opposed to retail), executives / management.....and hopefully by now you get the picture.

If the Concierge makes $100k (don't forget....they often have to 'grease some palms' in order to make things go as smoothly as possible (for politeness, I believe it's called tipping-out)), and what they're left with is a reasonable income for the amount / type of work they are called-upon to do.

I usually give my concierge about $100 / week.

Enjoy your Suite!

Stephen

I am not trying to stir the pot and say the Concierge do not deserve tips but, I also have to look at it realistically and say that the Captain of the ship should not be making the same amount of money(he has to pay taxes on his income) as the concierge.

I still don't understand the point of this? The numbers are...whatever...extend an gratuity as you see fit keeping accepted guidelines in mind.

Or, apply for the position already!

Archived