How late can I wait?

ratherbtruckin

Really thinking of taking a cruise 1st or 2nd week of Sept., but don't want to commit until last minute because of bad weather possibility. How many days before the cruise starts can you still book?

I know this is the tail end of hurricane season, but this is our ABSOLUTE favorite time of the year to travel. Beautiful weather, warm water, very FEW children (if that matters to you) We are older and it does.

We have never hit a hurricane in all of the years we have been cruising. Even if you did, they would just change their itinerary. Please do not stress this.

Really thinking of taking a cruise 1st or 2nd week of Sept., but don't want to commit until last minute because of bad weather possibility. How many days before the cruise starts can you still book?

You could probably wait until a couple of days before but it's not a good idea to do so. The longer you wait the less chance you have of getting a good cabin selection. As far worrying about the possibility of bad weather, that can happen no matter when you book your cruise. There is always a chance of bad wether all year long. If you are worried about hurricanes they can happen all the way through to November. If there is a hurricane your ship will still sail and go where the hurricane is not.

If there is a last minute hurricane and people cancel .. I personally have booked the morning of the cruise. Living 5 hours away I almost missed the ship.. so I wouldnt book the morning of again.. very good price. $129 pp, one day short .. cruise to nowhere.

The people who had paid full price for the cruise were upset that they sold cheaper bookings last minute.

They did get 1/4 of the amount they paid refunded (it was a 4 day cruise).. but they had to pay steep rates for hotels that suddenly had more people vying for rooms last minute when they couldnt get on the ship in Galveston.

They also got 25% off a future cruise.. we didnt get anything extra, and the later you booked thru out that day the less you paid.. others I talked to paid as little as $99 for their cabins.

They put me in a quad .. I was cruising solo :(

The people who had paid full price for the cruise were upset that they sold cheaper bookings last minute.

They did get 1/4 of the amount they paid refunded (it was a 4 day cruise).. but they had to pay steep rates for hotels that suddenly had more people vying for rooms last minute when they couldnt get on the ship in Galveston.

They also got 25% off a future cruise.. we didnt get anything extra, and the later you booked thru out that day the less you paid.. others I talked to paid as little as $99 for their cabins.

They put me in a quad .. I was cruising solo :(

How did you find out about these deals... ? Did you just call carnival... Go to their website? I am just curious.

2nd week of Sept is the historic peak of hurricane season.

However that makes it a value week to cruise very early on.

You may have aleady missed the best rates .

Waiting longer may cost you more for a lesser cabin and

perhaps no availability at all.

2nd week of Sept is the historic peak of hurricane season.

However that makes it a value week to cruise very early on.

You may have aleady missed the best rates .

Waiting longer may cost you more for a lesser cabin and

perhaps no availability at all.

It is a crapshoot depends upon how many cabins they still hve to fill.

Very possible you wait till last week and it is sold out.

How did you find out about these deals... ? Did you just call carnival... Go to their website? I am just curious.

If I hear about a hurricane coming .. its obvious there will be cancellations.

I had to only book thru my PVP, and the price was unpublished, so you cannot post it on CC .. only tell people to call.

I call .. its going to be on the news if there is a hurricane .. you KNOW.

It is a crapshoot depends upon how many cabins they still hve to fill.

Very possible you wait till last week and it is sold out.

I find early Sept to be about the best chance of great last minute rates .. pack n goes, senior rates.. whatever they need to fill the cabins.

Chances are very very good the ship doesnt sell out early

Thank you for the replies. I wasn't asking for opinions on whether I should cruise or not during that season. I am a veteran cruiser, love cruising, know what is important to me, and understand the drawbacks to booking last minute. I just have never booked truly last minute and was curious how late you really can. I certainly didn't expect the actual day before and find that fascinating. Tell us more about how you found that and did it. Thanks

Thank you for the replies. I wasn't asking for opinions on whether I should cruise or not during that season. I am a veteran cruiser, love cruising, know what is important to me, and understand the drawbacks to booking last minute. I just have never booked truly last minute and was curious how late you really can. I certainly didn't expect the actual day before and find that fascinating. Tell us more about how you found that and did it. Thanks

You can book any cruise up to the day it leaves if you live close enough to make it.

It did take a little while longer to get the booking done, and in this case I had to wait for my PVP to come in.. and it wasnt booked until 10 am .. so I left too late.

A lot of people dont seem to know the last manifest does not go in until 60 minutes before the ship sails... so it depends on how close you live.

You can book any cruise the last minute.. mine just happened to be a hurricane special rate. You have to call, cannot be booked at the port. I have booked also 3, 4 and 8 days before cruises .. if you can get OBC for owning stock or have a FCC to apply, I highly recommend not waiting until the very last minute to book.

If the ship still has unbooked cabins.. anyone can book last minute, just call and ask if the ship is sold out yet. You probably will have to pay the going rate though.

We were on the Glory in Sep '08 doing the Western Carib. A hurricane was coming towards our path, so the Captain simply sailed on the other side of Cuba from where the storm was heading. We had some high seas, but it wasn't too bad. I was told that they try to stay 200 miles from the storms edge, if possible.

Look at it as just another adventure. :D

I know this is the tail end of hurricane season, but this is our ABSOLUTE favorite time of the year to travel. Beautiful weather, warm water, very FEW children (if that matters to you) We are older and it does.

We have never hit a hurricane in all of the years we have been cruising. Even if you did, they would just change their itinerary. Please do not stress this.

Agree with susie, except early to mid September is peak hurricane season rather then the tail end

I know a lot of people are leery about traveling during hurricane season - I wonder if they realize it encompasses half the year??

I find early Sept to be about the best chance of great last minute rates .. pack n goes, senior rates.. whatever they need to fill the cabins.

Chances are very very good the ship doesnt sell out early

We cruise end of Sept beg of Oct each year for past 5 or so.

With ES have gotten some nice obc or sometimes we upgrade for very cheap cost.

So far storms have not really affected us except for middle day of Bermuda last year where middle day was basically washout.

Agree with susie, except early to mid September is peak hurricane season rather then the tail end

I know a lot of people are leery about traveling during hurricane season - I wonder if they realize it encompasses half the year??

Unless they live where they have to worry about getting hit-no. Not until they perceive it to affect them, such as vacation plannning. Most people have no idea of the days and days of newscycle-driven panic while waiting for a storm to decide what it's going to do.

Archived