Oasis of the Seas and motion sickness

Would like to know from those of you who have sailed on the Oasis how is the motion? I ask this because I have a friend who was extremely ill on her last cruise. She was sick the whole week and no medication was helpful, not even the shots she received from the doctor on board. She really would love to book with us on the Oasis but wonders if because of her size there is less motion. If any of you have had good or bad experiences concerning this matter we would love to hear from you. Thanks!

I'll second the sentiments above. I'm prone to motion sickness and have sailed on both the Oasis and Allure. I take dramamine and bonine on smaller ships but I have not taken anything on either Oasis or Allure and not once felt the least bit sick. As for feeling motion, didn't feel any motion the entire week Oasis and just 20-30 minutes of very gentle sway on Allure as we cleared the southern tip of Florida in fairly high seas (then nothing the rest of the week). We have an upcoming cruise with family, on Allure, that is EXTREMELY susceptible to motion sickness and it was a no-brainer for us when we selected which ship to take. I wouldn't hesitate a bit to take someone with motion sickness on either of these ships.

ATCMickey

Edited by ATCMickey

We were on Allure during Hurricane Irene, and came within 250 nautical miles of the eye. Wind and the waves were very high. Yet, we hardly felt any movement at all, not even in the front of the ship.

Yes, one day we felt the movement of the ocean but smooth sailing the rest of the week. If your friend is so sensitive that even a physician's shots won't help her, I would honestly consider another kind of vacation. There are many wonderful land-based resorts. Just a suggestion.

Ironically, I've read that is one of the criticisms of Oasis and Allure-- you can easily forget you're on a ship!!

That said, I have experienced motion sickness myself and I understand your friend's concern. The one trick I have learned: start taking your Meclazine, Bonine, whatever at least a couple of days BEFORE you board. You need them in your system before you experience the motion sickness. Trying to take these kinds of meds after the fact is really pretty pointless.

Sounds like your friend had a pretty miserable time on her last cruise, so even with your convincing, she might be hesitant. The mind is pretty powerful! Good luck!

Ann

Would like to know from those of you who have sailed on the Oasis how is the motion? I ask this because I have a friend who was extremely ill on her last cruise. She was sick the whole week and no medication was helpful, not even the shots she received from the doctor on board. She really would love to book with us on the Oasis but wonders if because of her size there is less motion. If any of you have had good or bad experiences concerning this matter we would love to hear from you. Thanks!

We went on the Allure and never even realized we had left port, on two different occasions. Very smooth sailing.

-germ

We were on the Oasis last October. Yes we felt motion on one day and night, but it wasn't bad, more like a gentle rocking. From others on CC they say stay on the lower decks and mid to aft of the ship as there is more motion in the front. I actually felt more motion for a few days when I got off the ship...had to find my land legs again:)

I went on the Oasis with no problem, but on Allure last March, I did feel very seasick. The wind was very strong and many people felt nauseated. The crew explained that when the wind is super strong, it blows into the Boardwalk and can rock the ship. This was nothing some zofran did not take care of (ask your family doctor for a script before you leave home). We were on the 12th deck and almost in the back. This was the location for seasickness. I would choose a lower deck and close to the middle for your friend. In those locations, you couldn't feel motion.

I was on the oasis in March for the eastern itinerary. Unlike the majority of the people posting on this thread my husband and I felt a lot of motion when in our cabin and walking to our cabin. we were in the very front of the ship. the worst motion was on the night we left Nassau and headed to st thomas. we were like drunk sailors walking toward the front once we hit midship. I was extremely surprised at the motion I felt since everyone I talked to before the cruise said that you never felt it move.

possibly this was due to the time of year or the distance the captain had to go from nassau to st thomas? not sure. however, I will be on the oasis again sept 29th for the western itinerary so I will come back to this thread and post how the motion was.

Clearly, while motion may be minimized on a ship the size of Oasis and Allure, it is definitely not totally eliminated and for those people who are seriously affected by any degree of motion, cruising, even on those behemoths may not be a good vacation choice. Compared to the vastness of the ocean, even the largest cruise ships are tiny. Some people are far more prone to seasickness than others, so individual experiences of those who rarely get seasick doesn't necessarily translate to them. Most people can avoid the symptoms of seasickness by taking medications or using other methods beginning well before they sail, but no methods are foolproof.

I went on the Oasis with no problem, but on Allure last March, I did feel very seasick. The wind was very strong and many people felt nauseated. The crew explained that when the wind is super strong, it blows into the Boardwalk and can rock the ship. This was nothing some zofran did not take care of (ask your family doctor for a script before you leave home). We were on the 12th deck and almost in the back. This was the location for seasickness. I would choose a lower deck and close to the middle for your friend. In those locations, you couldn't feel motion.

We were on the Allure in March as well, the 18th thru the 25th to be exact. My girlfriend actually felt her swaying a bit as soon as they removed the gangways before we embarked. I thought she was nuts, but, maybe.

Anyway, on the 4th or 5th night, we felt a lot of motion. I had to leave the Samba Grill, about 5 minutes after a young lady at the next table. The ship was swaying a lot.

I guess you just have to consider the odds. There are only 3 days in port, so that leaves 3 days plus embarkation evening to sail. More time at sea equals more opportunities to feel the ships motion. As someone else said, though, low decks midship is where you'll feel the motion the least.

Good luck.

Ginger pills. No drowsiness. Cheap and available everywhere. Extremely efficient.

I also use the ginger pills and they work great. Will add one thing have noticed on smaller ships when you get off for a day or so after you have this strange felling my DH calls it land sickness. I think you get used to the vibration of the ship. But never felt this after we got off the Oasis..

I sailed on Allure last November. Though I never felt the ship rock, I did get some motion sickness on the first and last night. I felt it almost immediately upon leaving Ft.Lauderdale and despite already having taken bonine prior to boarding, I needed to sleep it off. My cabin was the very last one on deck 10 and I never felt any motion in the cabin.

The last night, the winds again were strong and I am certain that since I was wearing the patch, it did not bother me as it did the first night.

To put things in perspective, the first time I cruised I felt motion sickness the instant the ship backed away from the dock. I was able to hold out for about 5 hours but motion sickness had a major impact on my first cruise for which I had only brought sea bands.

I did not know it at the time, despite having it all my life, but I later found out I have vertigo.

I did not let my first cruise experience stop me from sailing again. On the second cruise I was on bonine and had the patch in reserve. Despite being rougher seas than the first cruise, the bonine did the job. I never needed the patch nor did I feel any motion sickness.

I was surprised that I had slight motion sickness on Allure and that bonine did not help but the patch did the job for the remainder of the cruise and I did not feel the boat rock or move at any time.

Hope this helps.

Just off on Aug. 4th, did not feel the ship movement at all. This was a first.

I was on Oasis July 21-28. My sister and I both get badly motion sick and we both suffer from positional vertigo.

We had a midship cabin, central park view. Western Caribbean itinerary. It was calm and the captain never had to use the stabilizers.

We felt the motion. All of the time. We could tell when we were sitting backwards and the boat was moving forwards. But it didn't make me queasy at all on the ship. I used ginger but also brought the patch, bands, Bonine.

My sister ended up using the patch because Bonine didn't help her. She was more than queasy a couple of times. The patch took care of it.

I was sick each time I got OFF the ship, and had to drink a highly sugared drink quickly, and eat Bonine.

On the Allure, it was very smooth and I imagine that Oasis would be the same. If anything, I felt like crap after disembarking and it took several days to get adjusted to land (it's called Mal de Debarquement in case you're curious).

I also suffer from postional vertigo and have been on 27 cruises. The best advice I can offer is the transcope patch, ginger pills and eat and when I say eat, I mean green apples and bread. In 27 cruises, I only got sick one time and that was on the Majesty, we were just pulling out into the ocean and the seas were a bit rough and we were standing in the front of the ship (that was the biggest mistake), i couldnt' eat dinner, went back to the cabin, slept it off and felt better the next day. On that cruise I hadn't had a patch with me because I hadn't ever gotten sick before, but now since that happened I take my patch every time I go.