Tour by Taxi in Dubrovnik

We will be in Dubrovnik in October and can not decide what to do. In the past I have read that people have taken tours with a taxi in Dubrovnik. What places did you visit, how long was the tour and what was the cost ? Any insight into this tour by taxi would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in Dubrovnik in October and can not decide what to do. In the past I have read that people have taken tours with a taxi in Dubrovnik. What places did you visit, how long was the tour and what was the cost ? Any insight into this tour by taxi would be greatly appreciated.

We took the taxi tour on our recent visit to Dubrovnik. We didn't get into port until noon and it was around 100 degrees, so it wasn't advisiable to walk the wall.

You can get a nice air conditioned taxi right there as you get off the ship. They offer the tour for 50 euros, but we asked the driver if he would do it for 40 and he said yes. We only made two stops.....one at the overlook to the harbor and bridge area. Great photo ops here. Then we traveled to the overlook where the cable car goes. The views from here are stunning. The driver then took us down to the Old Town and it took about an hour.

I'm glad that we did that. We split the cost with another couple so it wasn't so bad.

Unfortunately the heat was so bad that we couldn't stay and walk around in the old town for very long.

We took the taxi tour on our recent visit to Dubrovnik. We didn't get into port until noon and it was around 100 degrees' date=' so it wasn't advisiable to walk the wall.[/size']

You can get a nice air conditioned taxi right there as you get off the ship. They offer the tour for 50 euros, but we asked the driver if he would do it for 40 and he said yes. We only made two stops.....one at the overlook to the harbor and bridge area. Great photo ops here. Then we traveled to the overlook where the cable car goes. The views from here are stunning. The driver then took us down to the Old Town and it took about an hour.

I'm glad that we did that. We split the cost with another couple so it wasn't so bad.

Unfortunately the heat was so bad that we couldn't stay and walk around in the old town for very long.

Thanks for the info

You are lucky to be going in October. That is when we went and the weather was great, warm enough to eat outside, but not hot.

You do not really need a taxi tour as you can walk the walls and the old town on your own. If you wish you can take the cable car to get a great view from up high.

For lots of information, google toms port guides.

For a first time visitor to Dubrovnik, we would never recommend a taxi tour (unless its 100 degrees F). The city is made for walking and one can easily fill an entire port day just strolling around inside the walls, walking the top of the walls, having a nice lunch, visiting the various sites, etc. A taxi tour is pretty much useless for seeing the city although a driver can certainly take you to some scenic spots outside the walled city.

Hank

For a first time visitor to Dubrovnik, we would never recommend a taxi tour (unless its 100 degrees F). The city is made for walking and one can easily fill an entire port day just strolling around inside the walls, walking the top of the walls, having a nice lunch, visiting the various sites, etc. A taxi tour is pretty much useless for seeing the city although a driver can certainly take you to some scenic spots outside the walled city. Hank

Love Hank's postings, but on the above I have to disagree just a little. The 50-euro cab tour is just an "introductory" tour of the key "Panoramic" sights at the bridge, from high above, etc., and then it drops you at the main gate to enter the town. YES, Dubrovnik is made for walking!! A cab cannot substitute for the great "inside the walls" experience there.

We did this cab method and it worked so super well for us. Below are some of my pictures and some added details.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 8,400 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 98,240 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We started in Dubrovnik with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing this unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. You can see the Solstice docked to the right side and other newer housing around this bay NW of the historic walled city.:

4DubrBridgeSolsticeHarbor.jpg

Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

Here is the view of the Cable Car going down from the high point over Dubrovnik with interesting areas and islands west of the city shown. This cable car has been re-built since the early 1990’s war years. It’s a dramatic coastline with great views here!:

4DubrCableCarWaterIslands.jpg

This is Dubrovnik’s Pile Gate as the grand western entrance to the walled city where our cab driver dropped us.:

DubPileGate2Enter.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

For our lunch at Komarda restaurant, here is the view from our table. Could you ask for a better location on a perfect weather day? It is about 1000 feet just east of the Ploce gate. You can go to this website in order to see lots more about

http://komarda.hr/index.php?lang=en:

2DubrDiningTableView.jpg

Love Hank's postings, but on the above I have to disagree just a little. The 50-euro cab tour is just an "introductory" tour of the key "Panoramic" sights at the bridge, from high above, etc., and then it drops you at the main gate to enter the town. YES, Dubrovnik is made for walking!! A cab cannot substitute for the great "inside the walls" experience there.

We did this cab method and it worked so super well for us. Below are some of my pictures and some added details.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 8,400 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 98,240 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

We started in Dubrovnik with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing this unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. You can see the Solstice docked to the right side and other newer housing around this bay NW of the historic walled city.:

4DubrBridgeSolsticeHarbor.jpg

Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

Here is the view of the Cable Car going down from the high point over Dubrovnik with interesting areas and islands west of the city shown. This cable car has been re-built since the early 1990’s war years. It’s a dramatic coastline with great views here!:

4DubrCableCarWaterIslands.jpg

This is Dubrovnik’s Pile Gate as the grand western entrance to the walled city where our cab driver dropped us.:

DubPileGate2Enter.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

For our lunch at Komarda restaurant, here is the view from our table. Could you ask for a better location on a perfect weather day? It is about 1000 feet just east of the Ploce gate. You can go to this website in order to see lots more about

http://komarda.hr/index.php?lang=en:

2DubrDiningTableView.jpg

Thanks for all the information

LOL Terry, We will forgive you (this time) :) Hank

P.S. Will be back in Dubovnik at the end of Oct

Appreciate the official forgiveness from Hank. Enjoy your October visit to Dubrovnik and the Med at the end of October. Look forward to hearing much more about your adventures at that time.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 98,545 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Let me know exactly when in October, you are definitely one I would enjoy having a coffee with. That is if you're interested.

What a sweet invite. I just mentioned this to DW (who has no clue what goes on here on CC) and her reaction was, we have nothing planned that day. If we can work out the details I would never turn down a chance for coffee (DW is a tea drinker). We are doing back to backs on the Celebrity Silhouette and will be in Dubrovnik on Sunday, Oct 28. We have actually been discussing what to do that day and had no specific plans. We are also talking about taking a long European driving trip next spring and spending at least a couple of weeks driving through Croatia and Slovenia. Your current home country seems like an interesting place and we want to do some in depth exploration as opposed to the "whistle stops" we get on cruises.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
We are interested in doing the panoramic tour for 50 euros before we do the wall and the town walking. Wanted to know what the guide for tipping for this service is.

I just wish you Americans would retain your tipping culture in North America. Tipping is not a European Practice and we would prefer to keep it from our culture.

We Europeans pride ourselves in giving great service and don't ever feel that we will only get it on the 'promise' or 'expectation' of a tip! Unlike in USA we value our workers are therefore protected by laws that govern wages like 'minimum wage' or 'living wages' - so tipping is not necessary.

What you do by 'tipping' is fuel inflation! So when in Rome ...........!!!

That is why in the US, we find the practice difficult to understand and actually quite stressful and personally have been harassed by staff because I did not tip sufficiently. Which tells me that all the sweetness and niceness that we witnessed during the meal was not natural but contrived in the expectation of a tip. Because if a person is genuinely nice these feeling would not come so easily to the surface!

We believe that tipping does not ensure good service. What ensures good service is quality training, valued workers etc.

I just wish you Americans would retain your tipping culture in North America. Tipping is not a European Practice and we would prefer to keep it from our culture.

We Europeans pride ourselves in giving great service and don't ever feel that we will only get it on the 'promise' or 'expectation' of a tip! Unlike in USA we value our workers are therefore protected by laws that govern wages like 'minimum wage' or 'living wages' - so tipping is not necessary.

What you do by 'tipping' is fuel inflation! So when in Rome ...........!!!

That is why in the US, we find the practice difficult to understand and actually quite stressful and personally have been harassed by staff because I did not tip sufficiently. Which tells me that all the sweetness and niceness that we witnessed during the meal was not natural but contrived in the expectation of a tip. Because if a person is genuinely nice these feeling would not come so easily to the surface!

We believe that tipping does not ensure good service. What ensures good service is quality training, valued workers etc.

Tomvet, what you say is true for your some of the European countries. However there is no wage protection in Croatia. Wages here are so low I do not understand how many families make it thru the winter when there is NO work. Tips here, I speak only for my country, are not expected but very much appreciated for good hard work.

Tomvet, what you say is true for your some of the European countries. However there is no wage protection in Croatia. Wages here are so low I do not understand how many families make it thru the winter when there is NO work. Tips here, I speak only for my country, are not expected but very much appreciated for good hard work.

Just noticed your post and read back through this thread. We are again returning to your lovely city on April 13. If you still want to meet for coffee (tea for my wife) we are buying :).

Hank

Dubrovniktravelady,

I just wanted to stop by and wish you a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year. Are you posting a blog for this year's activities?

Just open the blog, I did begin to write again. As you know last year was very tough, but my spirit is back and so is essence of dubrovnik.com

Just open the blog, I did begin to write again. As you know last year was very tough, but my spirit is back and so is essence of dubrovnik.com

Great, we are happy that you have turned the corner and that life is good again.:) I will look up your blog and send a link to DW, she is becoming pretty good finding her way around with her iPad

in the US, we find the practice difficult to understand and actually quite stressful and personally have been harassed by staff because I did not tip sufficiently. Which tells me that all the sweetness and niceness that we witnessed during the meal was not natural but contrived in the expectation of a tip. Because if a person is genuinely nice these feeling would not come so easily to the surface!

What utter nonsense. Wait staff in the US are paid very little and depend on tips. If you don't tip them appropriately they can't eat or pay their rent, so they will get snarky, no matter how genuinely nice they may be. Yes, I understand how things work with wait staff in much of Europe, and I frankly prefer it to our system. But this is the system in the U.S., and if you can't understand or accept how things work here, you should perhaps stay home instead of getting your knickers in a twist because you think things should be different.

Edited by Langoustine

Yes, yes, yes...I already marked my calendar. Email me details please.

Will do. DW and I have already spent a few days exploring your lovely city, so just meeting a new friend over some coffee would be a relaxing day.

Hank

• 6 months later...
You are lucky to be going in October. That is when we went and the weather was great, warm enough to eat outside, but not hot.

You do not really need a taxi tour as you can walk the walls and the old town on your own. If you wish you can take the cable car to get a great view from up high.

For lots of information, google toms port guides.

We have been to Dubrovnik and would like to go to Kotor, I read previously that you can take a taxi tour there?