Norwegian Epic vs. Pearl - Caribbean?

blancheneigedlp

Ok, I finally narrowed down our family cruise to the Norwegian Epic vs. Norwegian Pearl and I'm hoping for some advice.

Travelers are 5 adults, 4 kids - 12, 9, 3, 3 (3yo are not potty trained yet)

Norwegian Epic

PROS

Bigger, newer ship, great reviews, Blue Man Group (step-mom super excited about this), much cooler Aqua park for kids.

CONS

Smaller mini-suites (245sf v. 285 sf, my kids are only 3, I will have to be in the rooms for naps and stuff), 3 days at sea, slightly more $$, departs Saturday, which means taking Friday off work to fly x-country

Norwegian Pearl

PROS

Bigger suites, 4 stop itinerary, slightly cheaper, private resort island stop, Sunday departure - no extra vacation day

CONS

Sails to Cozumel (I've heard the Gulf can get more choppy, higher chance of seasickness?), pretty small kid pool, no Blue Man, lower rating in the reviews

Thoughts? Help?!

Ok, I finally narrowed down our family cruise to the Norwegian Epic vs. Norwegian Pearl and I'm hoping for some advice.

Travelers are 5 adults, 4 kids - 12, 9, 3, 3 (3yo are not potty trained yet)

Norwegian Epic

PROS

Bigger, newer ship, great reviews, Blue Man Group (step-mom super excited about this), much cooler Aqua park for kids.

CONS

Smaller mini-suites (245sf v. 285 sf, my kids are only 3, I will have to be in the rooms for naps and stuff), 3 days at sea, slightly more $$, departs Saturday, which means taking Friday off work to fly x-country

Norwegian Pearl

PROS

Bigger suites, 4 stop itinerary, slightly cheaper, private resort island stop, Sunday departure - no extra vacation day

CONS

Sails to Cozumel (I've heard the Gulf can get more choppy, higher chance of seasickness?), pretty small kid pool, no Blue Man, lower rating in the reviews

Thoughts? Help?!

I have done the Epic and the Pearl's sister ship, the Jewel. Both were with a large family group. You didn't say how you would manage the rooms (how many adults and kids in each) and that can play into the decision.

Personally, I liked the Epic better. There were more restaurant choices, better entertainment, and the slides would be awesome for the 9 and 12 year olds. The rooms are smaller, but we didn't find that problematic for us. We didn't spend a ton of time in the room

You know your group so much better than us so only you can make that call. In my opinion based on my cruise preferences I would go with Epic. BMG is a great show and the smaller suite only affect nap time and sleep time for the most part. The older kids would likely prefer the aquapark. Happy cruising.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Just my thoughts but we are doing both next Feb as those were only good possibilities to get long enough trip without doing either itineraty twice (we're flying in from Europe).

Until now I have been avoiding the Epic for several reasons, mostly because I think that the suite block on top of the bridge is hideous and the overall huge size of the ship and therefore almost two times as many (2400 vs 4100) passengers which are bound to make any port quite more crowded than with a smaller ship.

With the small kids I don't think that the ship makes too big difference for them besides that on the larger ship the distances are of course longer so it can easily take double the time to get from one place to another, elevators could be more crowded (affects moving around with strollers and such), etc etc.

Epic was an experiment of the new kind of ship and the mistakes are being fixed now with Breakaway class, just as the Dawn class was the first design built originally for Freestyle concept and Jewel class (incl. the Pearl) is the fixed second iteration of that.

I think that these kind of questions are always very very personal choices, I'm looking forward to trying the Epic once but even more I'm waiting for the Pearl after that because I've already sailed on her and two of her sister ships and I know that they fit to my preferences really great. :)

We've never cruised before so I have zero idea of what to expect (so maybe low expectations are good?).

Rooms will be as follows:

Me, 3yo, 3yo

Sister, 12yo, 9yo

Brother and Friend 1

Step-mom and possibly Friend 2(since same price as single)

(The 12yo may go in with Brother/Friend 1 instead as Friend 1 is her dad. But either way should be 2 doubles and 2 triples.)

Mini-suites for all or mini-suites for triples and balconies for doubles...haven't decided 100% but my step-mom, who is paying, wants at least balconies.

This is an easy one. Epic hands down. I have sailed both the Epic and sister ship Jewel in the carribean. You need that extra sea day for the Epic because there is so much to do.

The entertainment, the restaurants, the water park, the spa, etc. There really is no comparison. Yes you will get a bigger suite on Pearl but the Epic has the Epic club and lounge for suite guests which is better than Cagneys for breakfast and lunch IMO.

There was 12 of us on the Epic at Christmas 2011. Ages 9 - 80. Everyone loved it. The slides are the bomb for the the 9 & 12 year old kids. The little kids water play area is covered so no sun and is close to the slides.

Our cabin was mid ship and elevators were close. However, we took the stairs most of the time (for the exercise) so don't know how crowded.

We talked to many passengers asking them about their experience on Epic vs. other sailings. Hands down they said that the entertainment on Epic was the best they have ever seen.

DH and I hung out at the pool most of the time but our other family members are not sun bunnies and they were always busy.

Epic was our first sailing in 20 years. So take it for what it's worth.

I did a lot of "searchs" on CC and found a lot of tips which helped out a lot. The rugs and colors are coded so you know which way is the port or starboard.

You might want to do "searchs" for traveling with younger kids as I found out things I would never have thought about. It was very helpful.

Yes, the room was tight for the 3 of us but very doable.

I have the dailies from Epic in December and have my tip list. I'm happy to share if you are interested.

You will have a great time whichever ship you choose. Don't forget to consider which ports are more child/family friendly for each ship as well. Have fun!

One issue to consider with the Epic is the bathroom layout. There is less privacy than you're used to if you're traveling with a "friend" instead of family members that are used to your bodily functions and seeing you in a robe.

:)

I have been on both and IMO, hands down the Epic. The entertainment and pool alone was the best and definitely worth the extra cost. I have also done several 4 days itineraries and they are rough! Also, I personally think the eastern caribbean is much more beautiful. :)

I have reviews and TONS of pictures of both if you are interested and have A LOT of time on your hands, I can share them if you'd like.

Thanks, everyone! I booked the Epic! Mitsugirly, I'd love to see your reviews/pics if you have the time to share!

You will have a blast (provided you love mega ships full of things to do :D)

Here is a review I did on the ship: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=26190974#post26190974

The picture link is not working on that thread for some reason (I think I might have moved the folder in my Smugmug to a different location, therefore make the link invalid). So here's the link to our days on the Epic: http://kimbakersphotography.smugmug.com/Vacation

Here's a review I did from St Thomas at Sapphire Beach: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26210037&postcount=1 There is a link at the bottom to pictures.

A review from St Maarten: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=26209813#post26209813 (With picture link)

A review from Nassau: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=26207746#post26207746 (with picture link).

Enjoy :)

Thanks, everyone! I booked the Epic! Mitsugirly, I'd love to see your reviews/pics if you have the time to share!

Make sure to join your Roll Call (over on the boards main page)! We booked Epic and can't wait. The roll call makes time pass by a little easier, and you can get a ton of info there.

Archived