Men's shorts with hidden pocket

sweetpea222

I'm looking for a basic cargo short for my husband, nothing too fancy, but with a hidden pocket to carry our money when we are travelling. Any recommendations? We live in Canada, but could order from the States I suppose. I'd rather order from a Canadian company where possible to save on shipping.

Thanks!

For a hidden money pocket, you'll most likely have to go to a travel-specific short, like from Tilley http://www.tilley.com/Men-Shorts.aspx

Other travel catalogs/websites to check would be Magellans or Travelsmith.

If you're looking for "cheap", you might have better luck with a money belt or hidden pocket you can use with multiple outfits.

Thanks, that's just what I was looking for. I know Mr. S doesn't like wearing 'money belts' as he finds them really bothersome in hot and humid climates. He would just say he'll put his wallet in his cargo pockets, with buttons, but I would feel better if the pocket was totally hidden so there's no chance of some nimble fingers getting in there.

Are there other options for this that I don't know about?

I make a hidden pocket for OH´s shorts/trousers. Just a simple square cotton pouch with one side slightly long than the other. I sew this new pocket´s longest side to his trousers, just inside below the waist band. You could use velcro to attach it as well.

Sandy in Spain

As I was typing my post last night, I asked my husband what he does when we travel. We both have neck pouches we use when we're traveling and have our passports, money, etc, and haven't arrived at a hotel (or ship) with a safe to use yet). When we're out in ports, etc, he typically puts a small amount of money/id in his wallet and uses a front pocket. Sometimes he uses a zippered pocket in his Columbia cargo shorts, and very rarely he'll use a zippered hidden shirt in one of his lightweight (UPF too!) fishing shirts, but he says the wallet is usually too bulky for that application. Passport fits great in the shirt though!

Not sure where you are in Canada but my husband has several pairs of Nautica shorts bought here in Ottawa with "travel" pockets. He also has a pair of Cutter and Buck with an invisible zipper pocket but he finds it awkward compared to the Nautica "travel" pockets.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in BC, near Kelowna. I wonder if they carry the nautica pants at the Bay? I'll start searching for them. I know some retailers carry Columbia pants as well. DH talked about just carrying our stuff in a front pocket, says nobody will try to reach in there, but I'm still a little nervous about it. Maybe if it were a front pocket with a zipper or something we could figure out how to secure the zipper?

I like the do it yourself option but unfortunately I'm not a sewer, at all. My sister does, so maybe I'll mention it to her and see what she suggests. :)

Both the Tilley pants and shorts are in my opinion are the best pants for travel not only for their "secret" pocket but because they well made, comfortable, don't wrinkle, and you can hand wash them and they will be dry by morning.

I have both cargo and "Dockers" style Tilley pants and shorts and with both styles all cargo pockets and rear pockets are secured with Velcro reducing the risk of accidental loss or theft.

I have other pants with "secret" pockets from Travel Smith, and Scottevest but neither compare to Tilley pants. My Travel Smith pants are nice and it has a secret pocket at the opening of the front pocket and is secured by a zipper. I just got the Scottevest pants and their secret pocket is also at the opening of the pocket but only secured by a tiny magnet. I got the Scottevest pants half off on a recent sale but quality and security features don't match either the Travel Smith or Tilley.

On of the first things you will notice on the Tilley's pockets is they are deep. That is a feature by itself I like. What sets Tilley apart from the rest is the placement of the "secret" pocket. It is located about half way in the pocket and is secured by Velcro. This secret pocket is also very hard to detect. Even for me I have to know what to feel for to locate the pocket because it feels like a normal pocket in every other respects. The secret pocket is also large enough to accommodate a passport as well as your wallet.

The down side to Tilley products is that they are expensive but as for quality and functionality they can't be beat.

Shak

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in BC, near Kelowna. I wonder if they carry the nautica pants at the Bay? I'll start searching for them. I know some retailers carry Columbia pants as well. DH talked about just carrying our stuff in a front pocket, says nobody will try to reach in there, but I'm still a little nervous about it. Maybe if it were a front pocket with a zipper or something we could figure out how to secure the zipper?

I like the do it yourself option but unfortunately I'm not a sewer, at all. My sister does, so maybe I'll mention it to her and see what she suggests. :)

I watched a travel show one time that had a hidden camera focused on the gypsies and they absolutely went into the front pocket of men's trousers! They bumped into a man so he was distracted and contact was made. He didn't notice the "extra" contact, but at the end his wallet was gone. :mad: They suggest if you do have to keep your wallet in your front pocket that you stuff a handkerchief in on top of the wallet. That confuses them, takes more time and gives you one more thing to feel. They will likely move on.

Don't carry a wallet at all. Just put the cruise card, credit card and some local currency along with a copy of the passport. Put them in the hidden pocket.

If you must have a wallet - bring an old one and only have the above items in it.

Quite often, my husband will wrap a rubber band or two around his id, money & credit card and stick that in his front pocket. The friction of the rubber bands also makes what is in his pocket more difficult to remove - or at least, easier to feel. Best precaution is always being aware of your surroundings. I hate crowds - and pickpocketing is only one reason:cool:

Great suggestions! I like the Tilly pants as well, but agree about the cost. I wonder if they ever go on sale? Doubtful, I'm sure. Thanks for explaining where the hidden pocket is and how it works.

What brand of wallet is that? I wonder, would the chain be irksome to use? We have a friend who uses one of those all the time but I don't think it's for security, I think he just thinks it looks cool. :D

Yes that is a Pacsafe wallet and a very good choice for travel. The key feature is the chain which reduces the chance of accidental loss or theft. I have found Pacsafe products very good and well thought out.

I usually carry this wallet along with a smaller wallet like the Taxi Wallet. I keep the smaller wallet as a back up in the secret pocket on my Tilley pants. The smaller wallet is a "just in case" back up because my greatest fear in a foreign country is to stranded without either money or credit cards. I keep spare money and a credit card in the smaller wallet this way if my main wallet is lost or stolen and I never show the smaller wallet in public.

Shak

http://www.amazon.com/Alicia-Klein-TW01-BLACK-Original-Wallet/dp/B000COZAOU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344873932&sr=8-1&keywords=original+taxi+wallet

For years we used the homemade pocket that I put on the waistband of hubby's pants. Each new pair of pants we transfered the pocket. This does not work anymore!! because of TSA.

For me the most problem laced place is going through the TSA screening. Even a kleenex in the pocket shows on the body scanner and your carefully hidden documents and money are either given to the TSA officer or placed in the bin before hand. Every eye in the world seems to know exactly where you have secured your stuff and a careful observer also could stand and see exactly where you replace your papers and money and wallet standing at the end of the scanning line. Having had this exact scene happen on 3 different continents (neck bank with passport and money for month long trip:eek: thrown casually on the xray machine 4 people before I was hand wanded was the final strand) we decided to wear travel vests with the many pockets. The advantage is that the vest is preloaded at home --no eyes on you as you clear pockets in line--and placed in the xray bin to go through machine. At end of scan you replace the vest on your body without "fussing and replacing in pockets". Pockets in pants even with zippers have to be emptied. I have even been questioned about a back patch to relieve pain so you can not "sneak " your valuables through the scanners.

On the streets I also wear the vest. I found it is not that hot. I like that in the top zipper pocket I can place my point and shoot camera on a long lanyard that goes around my neck and it is easy to pull out take a shot and replace out of sight and temptation. Passport in inside zipped pocket. Small amounts of cash in several accessible pockets. wallet deep in lower pocket with snap. handsanitizer and tissue in upper open pocket etc. well you get the picture. Leave everything pretty much in the vest and hang vest in the closet ready for the next time on shore. You have all your stuff but it is not hanging heavily from just your arm -- it is spread over your back.

We bought our vests at the Bass Pro Shop outdoor stores for 25$ US. I know you have outdoor gear shops in Canada and you might try there. It is called a fishing vest. I prefer my vest to be loose enough for a coat under it. The full pocket across the back that is meant for game :eek::eek: is great for a full plastic rain poncho and a small sweater. The time I placed the guide book back there was not so comfortable. :D

For years we used the homemade pocket that I put on the waistband of hubby's pants. Each new pair of pants we transfered the pocket. This does not work anymore!! because of TSA.

For me the most problem laced place is going through the TSA screening. Even a kleenex in the pocket shows on the body scanner and your carefully hidden documents and money are either given to the TSA officer or placed in the bin before hand. Every eye in the world seems to know exactly where you have secured your stuff and a careful observer also could stand and see exactly where you replace your papers and money and wallet standing at the end of the scanning line. Having had this exact scene happen on 3 different continents (neck bank with passport and money for month long trip:eek: thrown casually on the xray machine 4 people before I was hand wanded was the final strand) we decided to wear travel vests with the many pockets. The advantage is that the vest is preloaded at home --no eyes on you as you clear pockets in line--and placed in the xray bin to go through machine. At end of scan you replace the vest on your body without "fussing and replacing in pockets". Pockets in pants even with zippers have to be emptied. I have even been questioned about a back patch to relieve pain so you can not "sneak " your valuables through the scanners.

On the streets I also wear the vest. I found it is not that hot. I like that in the top zipper pocket I can place my point and shoot camera on a long lanyard that goes around my neck and it is easy to pull out take a shot and replace out of sight and temptation. Passport in inside zipped pocket. Small amounts of cash in several accessible pockets. wallet deep in lower pocket with snap. handsanitizer and tissue in upper open pocket etc. well you get the picture. Leave everything pretty much in the vest and hang vest in the closet ready for the next time on shore.

We bought our vests at the Bass Pro Shop outdoor stores for 25$ US. I know you have outdoor gear shops in Canada and you might try there. It is called a fishing vest. I prefer my vest to be loose enough for a coat under it. The full pocket across the back that is meant for game :eek::eek: is great for a full plastic rain poncho and a small sweater. The time I placed the guide book back there was not so comfortable. :D

BowieMeMe, my inlaws also have vests like you describe, and while my MIL doesn't like to wear hers, my FIL wears his all the time while they travel, for all the reasons you described. I'll have to check with my hubby to see if that is something he'd like. Thanks for the description!

All of our pocket contents etc. go in our purse/backpack before we get in the security line. It is not a good idea to put stuff out in the open bins or the little bowl things they provide. Thefts happen in airports more than is reported.

And I refuse to be separated from my bag. Recently there was a long line of people waiting to go through the scanner, but the bags were going right through the xray. I would not let my bag with my money/wallet/electronics go through the xray until it was my turn in the scanner. The TSA guy grumbled and started grabbing bins from the people behind me. Whatever, dude. I did not want my bag with all of my valuables sitting over there unattended while I was waiting to go through the scanner!

I would suggest putting your neck-thingys or waist-thingys in a bag, and then replacing them under your clothing after you find a bathroom.

Robin

Archived