Special Dietary Needs

TerryAndDoug

Questions come up from time to time on this topic, and I wanted to share our recent experiences on the Journey. I'll eat just about anything, but my partner Terry is vegan. We sent an email to LeClubVoyage prior to the trip, to let them know the request. Soon after we boarded we received a note in our cabin, confirming the request, and asking us to meet with a dining manager to make sure details were understood. This was a welcome communication, as we've never been on a cruise before where the ship was pro-active in addressing the request. (This may be a new process for Azamara, as it didn't happen last Fall on the Quest.)

Each evening, Terry could review the next night's menu, and dining room management would put together an order, making suggestions based on the standard offerings. Terry would often just ask for "chef's surprise", and that always turned out great as well. We found that the dining room management in Discoveries was very attentive to requests and always followed up to make sure all was well. It also didn't matter if we sat in the same server's section or not, the special request always popped up when we checked in at the podium, and there was never a problem.

In Prime C, the chef even came to the table and presented the special meal on two occasions. I would suggest that if you are only going to dine in Prime C / Aqualina once or twice don't go on the first night of the cruise, so the chef will have a chance to handle your special request without rushing.

I know experiences will vary, but we did find this cruise that although the specialty restaurants were never very full when we dined, and Discoveries was always busy, the management in Discoveries took a much more active role in making sure needs were met. (Last cruise, we only ate in specialty restaurants, and the management seemed to be much more in tune with details.) Regardless, all food was excellent.

We also ate several meals at Windows, and it was never difficult to find someone who knew the ingredients of various dishes, or to find items that fit Terry's special diet.

On past cruises, we have been reluctant to book shore excursions that include a meal, since special diets can't always be accommodated. We were pleasantly surprised on both of our Azamara cruises. This time we took 3 excursions that included meals, and all turned out fine. We told the Shore Excursion staff our request after we boarded, and they noted it on our record. (I have to mention that Errol and Emma are awesome!) Then, whenever we started an excursion that included a meal, we would mention it to the guide. Easy!!

Doug

That is good to know. I am not vegan but a vegetarian. I admire Terry for being a vegan, I have tried a few times but it is so hard to go out to eat as a vegan plus I find it hard to give up on my desserts.

Kathy

Hi Doug,

Thank You for sharing with us. I'm very pleased to hear of your positive experience. I'm sure this is valuable information for current & future Azamara Guests with similar needs.

You have confirmed our experiences of Azamara, we have the opposite situation to Terry with DH having a bad nut allergy and whilst on Celebrity our experiences can be hit or miss, Azamara is excellent, consistent and really attentive. Their crew really understand about food allergies and will do all they can to ensure you have as good a cruise experience as anyone else despite any dietary reatrictions

Thank you for you post. We just got off a B2B on Quest and the staff did everything imaginable to make sure that everyone was happy. if there was ever anything on a plate that we did not like or could not eat, we were immediately given something else and it was noted for future meals. Azamara is the BEST

Agree with most of what has been posted, although my wife's experience was not quite so seamless.

After a few missteps, we found it best to use the simplest tactic.

We arrived early for dinner and made certain to engage the same server. He performed an excellent service in providing for her needs. Involving the assistant maitre d' (if I have his title correct) seemed to create unnecessary confusion.

My husband and I cruised on Azamara Quest in January, 2012.

I follow a meat, wheat and dairy free diet and was delighted with the service I was offered by the dining room staff. My meals were pre-booked from the previous day by the Dining Room Maitre'D. The meals chosen were either naturally wheat, meat and dairy free, or ingredients were altered to suit my needs. The boat only had a passenger load of 400 and the staff actually seemed to enjoy looking after me. I was rapt.

We are now in the process of booking a b2b for January on Journey, having considered the Oceania Nautica and the HAL Volendam itineraries. The 13/01/2012 Journey itinerary was announced just recently and we immediately droppped any thoughts of another cruiseline; it is Azamara all the way.

Archived