The price to "upgrade" to a full suite...

nunuc2000

DH and I were just discussing something: We're booked in an aft corner balcony for our upcoming B2B, 24 days. Hypothetically speaking, if Princess were to contact us with the offer of an upgrade to a full suite for a price... what would we be willing to pay to upgrade to the full suite?

I really didn't know how to answer that... what would the rest of you be willing to pay in that scenario?:confused:

I think the answer is pretty moot because Princess very, very rarely discounts full suites. They aren't included in flash sales nor is the price reduced if all other categories are reduced. So, the answer has to be the difference in the fare you're paying to the current price of a full suite. There may be a few exceptions but that's generally the case. You are more likely to receive a complimentary upgrade than a "move up" offer. :)

We ARE very happy with the cabin we booked... and have booked it "no upgrades" because that's how happy we are with it! :) - I completely expect we will NEVER receive that call. However, there's another CC member who is currently dealing with almost the same scenario I outlined... so while being rarer than a snowstorm in July in Texas, it can happen.

I'm just asking hypothetically... I'm not asking if it's going to happen, or if it's ever happened to anyone... just asking IF you were in that situation, how much would you be willing to pay to "move up".:confused:

I just got an e-mail yesterday offering us a :

**** SPECIAL OFFER FOR PAST PASSENGER GUESTS BOOKED IN A MINI-SUITE CABIN ****

On Golden Princess departing AUGUST 25, 2012 (5227)

PRINCESS CRUISES is pleased to announce a very special upgrade offer!

Cruise 7 nights in a FULL SUITE for only an additional $299 per person!!

(Plus additional cost of Princess Vacation Protection if purchased)

And needless to say I called and am waiting a call back. I know it all comes down to the individual cruiser, but I have stayed in a suite once when princess upgraded us by surprise to a full vs on the diamond and the suite to ME is awesommmmme, the balcony in alaska is breathtaking and just plain dreamy so I will take the plunge, I figure I only live once. My brother who is cruising with me is suffering from cancer so this will probably be his only cruise and what a cruise it will be, if....I get the call back or get hold of someone at princess! PS When I booked our cruise the suites were 1200.00 more each. So yup 300 is good for me;)

So, in thinking about your question, I looked at my next booking - 15 days RT LA to Hawaii on the Star.

I would normally book an AB mini-suite (or an AC and upgrade IF a price drop). The price is currently $3299 each for that cabin. I chose to book a PH suite (hubby's 70th birthday :)) for $4899 each. So, that's $1600 each or for two, $213/day extra. The other poster is being offered the suite on a 7-day cruise for $128/day extra.

I think I would do it for a $100/day on a longer cruise with sea days. That gives you time to enjoy the suite and amenities. For that 7-day which probably includes a lot of ports, it just doesn't seem like you get the time to enjoy the bennies. I love breakfast at Sabatini's (learned this on a upgrade fairy gift on an Alaska cruise) but I would feel like I had to hurry through it if the cruise was port-intensive and I cared about the ports.

Just some thoughts. :)

On other lines (Celebrity and NCL), we have upsold to a suite that included more than just extra space. NCL gave us breakfast and lunch (even on port days!) in a private dining room, real priority boarding and tendering plus two parties in the Haven with free drinks and snacks.Celebrity gave us two specialty dinners each, priority boarding and tendering and a really great butler plus reserved seats in the theatre. Princess does not offer much more than laundry now that they have ended the free internet. I would pay some extra for the extra space, but not more than $50 per day total.

The "amount per day" consideration is a very good way to look it... hadn't thought of it that way before, but that's how we'd look at it I think - clever! I agree that with a longer cruise - or one with excellent viewing opportunites, that would aid in making the decision.

I guess you are not getting an answer to your question (how much?) as none of us has any experience.

BYW if you do get upgraded to a suite, I expect an invite for a drink sometime during our 24 days together. :)

Absolutely!! :D You'll be the first couple we invite!! And it would be in the first couple days of the cruise so you could coach us on tips and hints for the remainder of the cruise since you'll already have been on for almost 2 weeks... lucky ducks! :)

On other lines (Celebrity and NCL), we have upsold to a suite that included more than just extra space. NCL gave us breakfast and lunch (even on port days!) in a private dining room, real priority boarding and tendering plus two parties in the Haven with free drinks and snacks.Celebrity gave us two specialty dinners each, priority boarding and tendering and a really great butler plus reserved seats in the theatre. Princess does not offer much more than laundry now that they have ended the free internet. I would pay some extra for the extra space, but not more than $50 per day total.

Princess gives you more than laundry and some extra space:

1. breakfast in Sabatini's every morning

2. free Hors d'oeuvres and discount drinks every evening in the Elite Lounge

3. free specialty dining on embarkation day

4. deluxe canapes in your suite every evening (by request)

5. flowers in the suite

6. corsage and boutonniere on the first formal evening

7. ability to order from the MDR menu for any meal and have it served in your cabin

8. afternoon tea service in your cabin (by request)

9. use of the Lotus Spa Thermal suite

10. mini-bar setup

11. laundry and dry cleaning

12. two cruise credits for paid/not free upgrade cabin (3 suite trips and you are Platinum and get those minutes back)

I guess it is which things matter to each person and how much they matter.

Princess gives you more than laundry and some extra space:

1. breakfast in Sabatini's every morning

2. free Hors d'oeuvres and discount drinks every evening in the Elite Lounge

3. free specialty dining on embarkation day

4. deluxe canapes in your suite every evening (by request)

5. flowers in the suite

6. corsage and boutonniere on the first formal evening

7. ability to order from the MDR menu for any meal and have it served in your cabin

8. afternoon tea service in your cabin (by request)

9. use of the Lotus Spa Thermal suite

10. mini-bar setup

11. laundry and dry cleaning

12. two cruise credits for paid/not free upgrade cabin (3 suite trips and you are Platinum and get those minutes back)

I guess it is which things matter to each person and how much they matter.

Plus

13. Priority Tendering

14. Priority Boarding (with the Elites)

FYI - two cruise credits for a suite are only if you book and pay full price for the suite. Any upgraded suite whether free or paid for receives only one credit.

I just got an e-mail yesterday offering us a :

**** SPECIAL OFFER FOR PAST PASSENGER GUESTS BOOKED IN A MINI-SUITE CABIN ****

On Golden Princess departing AUGUST 25, 2012 (5227)

PRINCESS CRUISES is pleased to announce a very special upgrade offer!

Cruise 7 nights in a FULL SUITE for only an additional $299 per person!!

(Plus additional cost of Princess Vacation Protection if purchased)

And needless to say I called and am waiting a call back. I know it all comes down to the individual cruiser, but I have stayed in a suite once when princess upgraded us by surprise to a full vs on the diamond and the suite to ME is awesommmmme, the balcony in alaska is breathtaking and just plain dreamy so I will take the plunge, I figure I only live once. My brother who is cruising with me is suffering from cancer so this will probably be his only cruise and what a cruise it will be, if....I get the call back or get hold of someone at princess! PS When I booked our cruise the suites were 1200.00 more each. So yup 300 is good for me;)

That would be when I would go for the upsell. A savings of $900 PP is nothing to sneeze at.

~Doris~

We had originally booked a mini suite for our upcoming Panama Canal trip with the hope of being upgraded. My TA told me that especially on those sailings the suites almost always sell out and if I wanted one I should change before they were all gone. I spent the money because I really wanted the suite and I'm glad I did because they ARE all gone and we don't sail until February.

I think your thread was just for fun but you got some "serious" answers about being happy with your cabin, etc.

Hmmm, on a 7 day cruise which are most of mine I think I would be willing to pay $300 or so per person to upgrade to a suite from a minisuite. I wish I would be given the opportunity. I would do it.:)

It certainly depends on the length of the cruise, so looking at it per day seems reasonable. On a longer cruise, I'd pay more (even more per day) since after a week at sea, I would certainly start to appreciate the luxuries and extra space even more.

With that said, when you look at it per day, I wouldn't pay that much extra. If I could afford it, I would have booked it in the first place. So I'd say $50/day pp max for 7 or less and maybe upwards of $75/day pp for a longer cruise. With that said, when I work out the math that's an extra $1500 for a 10 day cruise, hmmm ... ok maybe it would be even less than that! :)

The price difference between even a mini-suite to suite is vast, and more than I can afford. :rolleyes:

Archived