Onboard Avalon Panorama now

tassietravellers

Still here Marion :-)

Internet has been intermittent...especially in between towns.

Weather is still glorious..had a few dramas, but that's lfe! Still loving being on the ship and watchig the world sail by.

We had 2 days where the ship couldn't travel, the Danube was closed, firstly because of the low water levels but as well because 2 barges had got stuck..trying to get thru when it was low!!

Will update on the happenings of the last couple of days after lunch...not really bad, just changes of plan for most of us..but all good :-)

Still here Marion :-)

Internet has been intermittent...especially in between towns.

Weather is still glorious..had a few dramas, but that's lfe! Still loving being on the ship and watchig the world sail by.

We had 2 days where the ship couldn't travel, the Danube was closed, firstly because of the low water levels but as well because 2 barges had got stuck..trying to get thru when it was low!!

Will update on the happenings of the last couple of days after lunch...not really bad, just changes of plan for most of us..but all good :-)

So pleased to hear that you are still loving being on the ship, enjoying glorious weather, watching the world sail by, Tassietravellers.

Looking forward to hearing of the latest developments.

Tassietravellers: Fabulous attitude about the water levels. No point getting your knickers in a knot when the water levels are out of everyone's control, wish everyone took this same approach. These cruise lines all have experience with dealing with these situations, some may handle it better than others and seeminly Avalon is one of those, so that the passengers are kept informed and know that the company is looking out for their best interests. Enjoy the rest of your trip and thanks for the posts.

OK..well again the internet has barely been available..so a bit longer than the hour that I though I'd been able to post.

With the low levels we were over 24hrs behind schedule..then the ship had an electticl problem..the engineers fixed it very quickly, but Avalon decided as a precautionary measure that a major part needed to be replaced, so it had to come from Amsterdam...so overall we ended up almost 2 days behind.

Our CD along with Avalon had to make some major decisions as we had already been bused 2 days o the tons on our itinerary and each one was 1.5 to 2 hours each way.

So the decision was made for us all to leave the ship in Regensburg, go by bus to Bamburg, have the tour as per our itineray then on to Wurzburg for 2 nights in a hotel and for the ship to sail non stop for over 2 days to make p the time.

Well the CD, staff and Avalon were extremely surprised that the majority of us decided to stay on board and just sail with the ship.

So the decision was made for us all to leave the ship in Regensburg, go by bus to Bamburg, have the tour as per our itineray then on to Wurzburg for 2 nights in a hotel and for the ship to sail non stop for over 2 days to make p the time.

Well the CD, staff and Avalon were extremely surprised that the majority of us decided to stay on board and just sail with the ship.

So you missed Regensburg, Bamburg and Wurzburg by choice to sail non stop for 2 days? They are all lovely and Wurzburg especially would be a very nice place to stay for a few days.

Sounds like Avalon handled the situation well and IMO a surprising choice that so many chose to miss three of the nicest cities in the area to sail for 2 days straight.

We all got to see Regensburg and some of us twice..as we were bussed there on tuesday and then the ship got to there on wednesdy so we got to walk around again..its a beautiful place. We had lunch at the sausage place too.

Sorry did not get to finish before as lost the internet..that's been the only thing I thought would be better nd that's the internet, especially seeing as tho its satellite..and that's not really anything major..so as you can see nothing really to complain about :-)

Today and yesterday have been lovely just relaxibg and watchig the world go by, everyone seems very happy onboard .

I wouldn't be a CD for quids!!!! She has done a fantastic job, not easy organisig meals, transport, toilet Stop places etc for 168 people at short notice..then to have to organise accommdation, 3 meals a day, buses etc for that many people too..not knowing that less than 40 would actually be needing it.

Through all of this the CD, captain and Avalon management have kept us well informed and IMO looked after us very well.

We had another CD join the ship yesterday afternoon to stay with the people staying onboard..he had a couple hours notice to catch the train from Amsteedam and he jumped on at one of the locks. :-)

Just typing short messages as the internet keeps dropping out :-)

A couple of tips :

1. Go with the flow...its far less stressful and this is meant to be a holiday...we have no control over the river..and minor probs with the ship are rare but can't be ruled out.

2. Bring a pegless clothes line..its been so handy, just hang it up in the shower, most things dry quickly overnight..even if its only your underwear that you want to wash yourself.

That's enough from me for today..I'll try and think of a couple more as we go along :-)

Food as been faultless..well except far too much, especially hen you have very little willpower..or won't power..like me :-)

Service is exceptional.

:)

Just typing short messages as the internet keeps dropping out :-)

A couple of tips :

1. Go with the flow...its far less stressful and this is meant to be a holiday...we have no control over the river..and minor probs with the ship are rare but can't be ruled out.

2. Bring a pegless clothes line..its been so handy, just hang it up in the shower, most things dry quickly overnight..even if its only your underwear that you want to wash yourself.

That's enough from me for today..I'll try and think of a couple more as we go along :-)

Food as been faultless..well except far too much, especially hen you have very little willpower..or won't power..like me :-)

Service is exceptional.

:)

OK..well again the internet has barely been available..so a bit longer than the hour that I though I'd been able to post.

With the low levels we were over 24hrs behind schedule..then the ship had an electticl problem..the engineers fixed it very quickly, but Avalon decided as a precautionary measure that a major part needed to be replaced, so it had to come from Amsterdam...so overall we ended up almost 2 days behind.

Our CD along with Avalon had to make some major decisions as we had already been bused 2 days o the tons on our itinerary and each one was 1.5 to 2 hours each way.

Lovely to hear from you again, tassietravellers.

I'm not surprised at all, as I think the majority made a smart choice to stay on the ship and enjoy a couple of relaxing days, whilst the ship caught up. After all 3 hours one day, then 4 hours the next day, on a bus, is not my idea of a fun holiday.

Avalon is to be congratulated on how it has handled this difficult situation.

Pleased to hear everyone seems very happy on board.

Good advice re taking a pegless clothesline. I always travel with two, as they are so convenient for drying clothes overnight!

Rudesheim today..what a lovely town amongst the vineyards. We all went into the town on the little train, a bit of fun..then to the Museum of Mechanical Musical Instruments, what a fascinating place.

Then off to Rudesheimer Schloss for a 4 course lunch, with wine, then a Rudesheim coffee..lots of entertainment and great fun..as well as great food..far too much good everywhere!! :-)

:):)Rudesheim what a lovely little town! Did you go up on the cable car? I hope you really enjoyed that delicious brandy/coffee drink at lunch. We both bought a second one yum!!!! Keep having a fantastic time as you are now on the final few boat days of your holiday but I am sure like us you still have lots planned and heaps more exciting places to see on your European Escapade. Cheers Lyn

You're right Lyn..not too long left on the ship.

We were in Cologne today..lovely city..came back to the ship this afternoon for the La Strada concert..absolutely fantastic, so talented and very entertaining. Have just saiked away from Cologne..our last stop in Germany, tomorrow we will be in Amsterdam.

Tonight we have Captain's cocktails..then our Gala dinner...it will be sad to leave on wednesday its been a fantastic trip and I'm loving every minute of it.

Another tip: be very aware of pick pockets..especially in big cities like Vienna and Cologne..we had someone on board lose their wallet in Vienna and another in Prague before they boarded the ship.

Captains cocktail party with champagne..was lovely..gala dinner was too..the presenting of the Bombe Alaska too..a lot of fun!

Tomorrow we berth in Amsterdam..our last day of the cruise :( , canal cruise, its all gone too fast, been so much fun and so many memories..I would definitely do it again..and with Avalon. :-)

I haven't been on this board lately, and just saw your posts. What a lovely trip and what a great attitude and posts you had. Glad you had a great time.....I would have passed up 3 hours in a bus in a minute as well!!! Thanks for your great attitude!

Our last day on the ship..this morning we went on the canal cruise then to the diamond factory...didn't buy any :-) After lunch my husband and I went for a walk, stumbled upon the red light district..even at 2pm there were still alot of ladies sitting in the windows..quite an eye opener, in Australia sex shops have painted windows etc..here everything is on display..and the bigger the better a!! Lol :-)

Got high walking the streets, from all the cafes..definitely a different way of life..we bought a gelato from a shop which had a sex shop on one side and a shop selling marajuana seeds..hash cookies etc on the other.

Tomorrow we leave the ship at about 9am..we are having 3 extra nights here, plenty we want to see..then off to the UK for a month...so hope you all enjoy cruising..planning..or just your memories. If any one has any questions, please feel free to ask on here as I will keep checking back or email me at tas_debbie@hotmail.com

:-) Debbie

Archived