What To Do On Our Day In Boston?

Jaigirl

Doyle's pub in Jamaica Plains is 20 minutes from the cruise terminal, and has been voted Boston's best pub for several years. It also has a shuttle bus to the Samual Adams brewery for their tours.

Doyle's is great, but I wouldn't send a tourist 20-30 minutes (by car/taxi, closer to an hour by "T") into JP to go to a Pub. Plenty of very good places to quaff a cold one or cocktail in the more touristy areas of Boston

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know about luggage options? Our cruise doesn't offer any excursions, but we have about 9 hours between cruise and flight.

So did we...we hired a private guide to pick us up at the ship. We loaded our luggage in her vehicle. I think it was a 6 hour tour ending at the airport. We ended up going to Quincy to tour President Adams home and then we went to Charlestown and toured the Constitution, and saw the monument and had lunch at Warren Tavern which was the best seafood we had all week.

She was also our guide the day before our cruise. That day we went to the Old North Church, Paul Revere's home, and over to Concord and Lexington. Went to Minuteman Park. She also took us by the port to show us where she would be picking us up when we got off the ship the following week. Very thorough. Here's her email address. She's also a National Park Ranger and a history major. And we were told that she's written a couple children's history books. She's a wealth of knowledge.

jane_sciacca@comcast.net

My sister-in-law said they got off the ship and caught a cab to the aquarium on Long Wharf. They held their luggage for them while they toured the aquarium and they even walked across to Legal Seafood and had lunch. Then got their luggage and headed to the airport.

Hope that helps. Have fun on your cruise!

PS If you want to see pictures of our two tours with Jane, click on the photo link below. Go to the photobook from our New England/Canada cruise.

Does anyone know about luggage options? Our cruise doesn't offer any excursions, but we have about 9 hours between cruise and flight.

If you are flying out, you can get free luggage storage at the Rowes Wharf Water Taxi if you use their water taxi to go across the harbor to the airport ($10/pp). This will give you more choices of destination. You can also buy an all day pass from them which would give you the option of being picked up at Black Falcon by water taxi to go to Rowes Wharf to leave your luggage and then possible on to other waterfront destinations like the Constitution before going across to the airport. When you get to the other side of the harbor, you take a free airport shuttle bus that stops at all the terminals.

http://www.roweswharfwatertransport.com/RWWT_2010/HOME.html

When you price out cab rides, this is a really economical option.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone ever take the trip out to Harvard and look around there? I read about the Museum of Natural History and that sounds interesting. Also the USS Constitution. Can both be gotten too on public transit? I don't have much interest in US history and the Freedom Trail isn't all the appealing to me. :rolleyes::confused:

Does anyone ever take the trip out to Harvard and look around there? I read about the Museum of Natural History and that sounds interesting. Also the USS Constitution. Can both be gotten too on public transit? I don't have much interest in US history and the Freedom Trail isn't all the appealing to me. :rolleyes::confused:

If you are not interested in US History, there is also a wonderful Museum of Science, Museum of Fine Art and Aquarium. All three are accessible by public transportation.

Are you talking about the town of Harvard or Harvard University?

If you are not interested in US History, there is also a wonderful Museum of Science, Museum of Fine Art and Aquarium. All three are accessible by public transportation.

Are you talking about the town of Harvard or Harvard University?

Hmmm I don't know! I think Harvard University. I also saw the Museum of Natural History @ Harvard, I believe the university. I haven't had any one say go for it, only one person in another thread say it is small and not worth going to. Any thoughts? I tried looking things up on the T website and I must have put something in wrong because it says something different for the Black Falcon Terminal. I'll have to try again.

Hmmm I don't know! I think Harvard University. I also saw the Museum of Natural History @ Harvard, I believe the university. I haven't had any one say go for it, only one person in another thread say it is small and not worth going to. Any thoughts? I tried looking things up on the T website and I must have put something in wrong because it says something different for the Black Falcon Terminal. I'll have to try again.

According to Google there is a Museum of Natural History, part of Harvard University, in Cambridge. I have lived in the Boston area my entire life and it has never come on my radar--never visited it as a child or adult nor have any of my children been taken there on school field trips. So I can't offer personal recommendation. Personally, I would not choose it over the other places I mentioned but everyone has different interests.

According to the map on their website, it is within walking distance of the Harvard Square train station (which is the red line, outbound).

By the way, the USS Constitution is actually in Charlestown. You can get there by several different modes of public transportation depending on your preference and starting point. It is detailed on their website.

IMO the most interesting thing at the Harvard museum is the glass flower collection. No one but the artist and his son ever figured out the formula, or had the talent and eye for detail, for making such realistic plants. It is quite a large collection, and unique in the world. It is well worth the visit, especially if you are a gardener or into plants or art.

The museum (opens at 9) is a few minutes walk from the Harvard stop on the Red Line T (cross picturesque Harvard Yard and walk a few hundred yards down Oxford Street behind the Science Center). From South Station (the Silver Line change stop for the Red Line), it takes maybe 20 minutes to Harvard.

IMO the most interesting thing at the Harvard museum is the glass flower collection. No one but the artist and his son ever figured out the formula, or had the talent and eye for detail, for making such realistic plants. It is quite a large collection, and unique in the world. It is well worth the visit, especially if you are a gardener or into plants or art.

The museum (opens at 9) is a few minutes walk from the Harvard stop on the Red Line T (cross picturesque Harvard Yard and walk a few hundred yards down Oxford Street behind the Science Center). From South Station (the Silver Line change stop for the Red Line), it takes maybe 20 minutes to Harvard.

Thanks VidaNaPraia! I replied with my plans (they finally came together) on the other thread, the one I started. I was really wowed by the pictures in the link you sent. They are so realistic! My mom will love them too, she's allergic to the real thing! I do quite enjoy gardening. I found a great map that shows the path from the T stop to the museum which I will print out.

Archived