Is there ever a pre-cruise checklist?

Architect

I mean, one provided by the cruise line? Specifically I'm thinking about visas and vaccinations. For the 12-2 cruise I see that visas will be required (for Americans) for Cape Verde and Brasil, and I'm still trying to determine which shots I'll need to get.

It occurs to me that Azamara (or any cruise line) might well not want to provide such a checklist insofar as they'd then be taking on liability for errors and omissions. But then I see this thread where Az is providing visas onboard!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1689538

FWIW, I've read horror stories about pax not being permitted to embark without proper documentation in hand for the entire voyage. I'd love to see exactly what that documentation should consist of--now, while I have the time to get everything right.

I mean, one provided by the cruise line? Specifically I'm thinking about visas and vaccinations. For the 12-2 cruise I see that visas will be required (for Americans) for Cape Verde and Brasil, and I'm still trying to determine which shots I'll need to get.

It occurs to me that Azamara (or any cruise line) might well not want to provide such a checklist insofar as they'd then be taking on liability for errors and omissions. But then I see this thread where Az is providing visas onboard!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1689538

FWIW, I've read horror stories about pax not being permitted to embark without proper documentation in hand for the entire voyage. I'd love to see exactly what that documentation should consist of--now, while I have the time to get everything right.

You need a yellow fever vaccination for Brazil (and also Ecuador). HAL/Carnival Corp will not let you embark without it or an official doctors note, so assume Azamara/RCCL is the same. It is also important to get because there are some countries that will not let you enter if you have been to certain countries and have not been vaccinated. For example, if you have been in Brazil and then want to enter China, you will need proof of the yellow fever vaccination.

A US citizen needs a Visa for Brazil and can get one that is good for 5 years.

This should be on any cruise lines "up to date" website.

You need a yellow fever vaccination for Brazil (and also Ecuador). HAL/Carnival Corp will not let you embark without it or an official doctors note, so assume Azamara/RCCL is the same. It is also important to get because there are some countries that will not let you enter if you have been to certain countries and have not been vaccinated. For example, if you have been in Brazil and then want to enter China, you will need proof of the yellow fever vaccination.

A US citizen needs a Visa for Brazil and can get one that is good for 5 years.

This should be on any cruise lines "up to date" website.

Not quite, you only require to have evidence of the vaccination if you are entering Brazil having been in an infected country in the 90 days beforehand - certainly we were boarding an Azamara cruise last year which was travelling to Brazil I had absolutely no vaccinations (nor had many of the passengers we spoke to) and my husband declared he had returned three weeks previously (ie within the 90 day rule) from Nigeria. He was carrying his yellow fever certification. However the cruiseline did not ask to see it and when we arrived in Brazil no mention was made of this, nor was he asked to bring it down for inspection, his passport, which was full of recent Nigerian visas was just returned to him, no questions asked

There are no advisories in place relating to Cape Verde which is the stop prior to Brazil. If you were travelling from Ecuador to Brazil that would be different you would have to evidence vaccinations

I think that the link to experts is a very wise thing, Azamara could never prepare checklists that would cover every passport that might be presented to them - and then you get the passports with the stamps of some countries in them etc. Add to that countries are always changing their rules (I know the stress of sorting out visas for my husband and late changes to requirements re photo sizes etc). It would be way too risky for a cruise line to keep details current and therefore take the liability if they did not

Links to experts plus other generic lists are very helpful though

Architect,

The visa for Brazil (for US citizens) is good for ten years. We were on the Journey from Rio to Buenos Aires last December, and were not required to get any shots because we were not visiting the provinces/regions inland for which vaccinations are required. Since you'll be visiting some ports in the northern coast (and Cape Verde before you cross the Atlantic) before you get to Rio, my advice would be to ask the consulate to obtain the most current information about paperwork and vaccination requirements. If you apply for the visa directly with the consulate, there's an email address to where you can send your questions and obtain a super fast response in writing (such was my experience). Getting the visa in the consulate in Washington DC was fairly easy -- just remember to get there before noon.

One last thing about the visa to Brazil: it will have a copy of the photo you submit with your application. I submitted a hideous one thinking there would be no photo on the Brazilian visa because there used to be none. Oops!

Not quite, you only require to have evidence of the vaccination if you are entering Brazil having been in an infected country in the 90 days beforehand - certainly we were boarding an Azamara cruise last year which was travelling to Brazil I had absolutely no vaccinations (nor had many of the passengers we spoke to) and my husband declared he had returned three weeks previously (ie within the 90 day rule) from Nigeria. He was carrying his yellow fever certification. However the cruiseline did not ask to see it and when we arrived in Brazil no mention was made of this, nor was he asked to bring it down for inspection, his passport, which was full of recent Nigerian visas was just returned to him, no questions asked

There are no advisories in place relating to Cape Verde which is the stop prior to Brazil. If you were travelling from Ecuador to Brazil that would be different you would have to evidence vaccinations

We were told by our travel clinic it was needed as we were going to Iguassu Falls and doing some hiking and water rafting. And if I recall there may have been an outbreak that year, so requirements change. We definitely needed it for Ecuador or HAL would not allow us to board, and needed it to enter China after being in Brazil.

The vaccine as I recall was no big deal, was covered by our insurance, but like I said earlier many people get a doctors letter on official paper because for medical reasons or age they do not want the vaccine.

We were told by our travel clinic it was needed as we were going to Iguassu Falls and doing some hiking and water rafting. And if I recall there may have been an outbreak that year, so requirements change. We definitely needed it for Ecuador or HAL would not allow us to board, and needed it to enter China after being in Brazil.

The vaccine as I recall was no big deal, was covered by our insurance, but like I said earlier many people get a doctors letter on official paper because for medical reasons or age they do not want the vaccine.

I think you are confusing the issue between medical advice (not requirements) for when you are in a country versus formal entry requirements set by a country.

Travel clinics have a vested interest to advise you to have vaccinations and will prefer you to have shots even if you are in a country that has had only very isolated incidents and usually not in residential areas.

The other poster was talking about entering Brazil and the requirements are that none are required to enter the country. For entry to other countries it varies but to enter China you only need a valid yellow fever certificate if you are entering direct from an infected area.

Where it is mandatory to have a vaccination to enter a country (I accept my example is not a cruise destination, well not yet) such as Nigeria, a doctors letter explaining they do not wish the vaccination is NOT acceptable, it is no shot, no come in. My DH had contraindications for which his medical practioner would have written a letter however as he needed to go to Nigeria he had to make a choice of risk the contra indications (which he did, having the vaccinations done in a hospital) or not go to Nigeria, end of, no letters

We stopped in Ecuador in March of this year on the Infinity and it was not required and no one I met had got the vaccine. We started in BA though, not Brazil. Is that a new req'mt for Ecuador? We also visited a Travel Clinic.

We stopped in Ecuador in March of this year on the Infinity and it was not required and no one I met had got the vaccine. We started in BA though, not Brazil. Is that a new req'mt for Ecuador? We also visited a Travel Clinic.

No you are absolutely correct as of today there is still no requirement to have a yellow fever vaccination before entering Ecuador

I think the YF requirement depends on which countries are visited, in which particular order, on the cruise. We did a 38-day South America cruise on HAL that started in Brazil, went around the Horn to Chile, continued through Peru, Ecuador, Costa Rica and Mexico before ending in British Columbia. It could be purchased as a single cruise or in 2 segments: either starting in Rio or starting in Valparaiso. HAL notified us that YF vaccination (or an exemption waiver) was mandatory at either port of embarkation. For the first segment, Uruguay wanted evidence of YF cover and Ecuador required it on the second segment. This was in '09 so circumstances may have changed.

HAL verified our documents at check-in and there was a notice at both Rio and Valparaiso cruise terminals that passengers who did not satisfy the YF requirement would be denied boarding. I expect that Azamara would also notify passengers of any mandatory vaccinations, especially if boarding would be denied.

We always do our own research and verify visa/vaccination requirements directly at source. There many be some recommended precautions that cruise lines won't mention that we may also want to consider. And sometimes cruise lines have more restrictive rules, especially on passport expiration, compared to the countries visited. So we make sure we're in compliance with them as well.

It was required by Holland America Line in April this year. As I stated earlier each ship is different. It was also recommended by a very well know hospital travel clinic because we were going into the rain forest.

And to those who want to argue with me, it really doesn't matter whether the CDC only "recommends" a vaccine if it is a requirement to board a specific ship.

Any cruise line or ships requirements can change from time to time, which is why the OP needs to get the direction directly from Azamara on what is being required.

I think the YF requirement depends on which countries are visited, in which particular order, on the cruise. We did a 38-day South America cruise on HAL that started in Brazil, went around the Horn to Chile, continued through Peru, Ecuador, Costa Rica and Mexico before ending in British Columbia. It could be purchased as a single cruise or in 2 segments: either starting in Rio or starting in Valparaiso. HAL notified us that YF vaccination (or an exemption waiver) was mandatory at either port of embarkation. For the first segment, Uruguay wanted evidence of YF cover and Ecuador required it on the second segment. This was in '09 so circumstances may have changed.

HAL verified our documents at check-in and there was a notice at both Rio and Valparaiso cruise terminals that passengers who did not satisfy the YF requirement would be denied boarding. I expect that Azamara would also notify passengers of any mandatory vaccinations, especially if boarding would be denied.

Thank you.

YF was absolutely required by HAL this year or boarding would be denied.

There were some people who received medical waivers. I also found out once onboard that HAL apparently had the vaccine and was prepared to give the vaccine to anyone who showed up rather than deny them boarding. Our cruise had two options. One was a 34 day from Buenos Aires, and the other segment where we joined was a 22 night segment from Chile to NYC (some did a 19 night segment and disembarked in Florida). Passengers on both segments were required to get the vaccine. We already had it from our visit to Brazil (Iguassu Falls) in 2009.

I also agree that Azamara should be notifying passengers of any mandatory vaccinations.

It was required by Holland America Line in April this year. As I stated earlier each ship is different. It was also recommended by a very well know hospital travel clinic because we were going into the rain forest.

And to those who want to argue with me, it really doesn't matter whether the CDC only "recommends" a vaccine if it is a requirement to board a specific ship.

Any cruise line or ships requirements can change from time to time, which is why the OP needs to get the direction directly from Azamara on what is being required.

Thank you, this is exactly what I meant. And it's not just YF; there is a Dengue Fever epidemic in Brasil and Malaria is a concern in most tropical locales.

But your point highlighted above is my main issue: no matter what the CDC may say, and no matter what various countries on your itinerary may tell you (and that changes often anyway), what happens at the embarkation desk is what matters most. Required certifications are the issue, along with visas. I need to know exactly which documents will be required and what form they should take.

• 1 month later...

Archived