What's so great about the Eurodam (cabins 4166 and 4168)

ekkc10753

Someone knows for sure: are these two cabins the ones with the extra large balconies?

I'm a little freaked out about the size of this ship; the Oosterdam was big enough! But my traveling companions want to travel on the Eurodam, what's the best/worst thing about it?

I know someone will know: are 4166 and 4168 the cabins with the extra large balconies?

I'm a little freaked out about the size of this ship, the Oosterdam was big enough for me, but the itinerary and dates for us pretty much dictate the Eurodam.

What's your favorite/least favorite thing about her?

Yes, the E-dam is larger than the Oosterdam, but that's because it's higher---not longer or wider. If you were able to get around the Oosterdam, you can do the E-dam.

What's the best thing about the E-dam, you ask? The Tamarind Restaurant! That, and the Silk Den Lounge nearby. Relaxing, excellent food, great service. Just a great "night out".

Someone knows for sure: are these two cabins the ones with the extra large balconies?

I'm a little freaked out about the size of this ship; the Oosterdam was big enough! But my traveling companions want to travel on the Eurodam, what's the best/worst thing about it?

Yes those are the two extra large balconies. :)

I know someone will know: are 4166 and 4168 the cabins with the extra large balconies?

I'm a little freaked out about the size of this ship, the Oosterdam was big enough for me, but the itinerary and dates for us pretty much dictate the Eurodam.

What's your favorite/least favorite thing about her?

Yes, 4166 and 4168 have the 18 ft wide balconies on the E-dam.

You won't even notice the ship size difference between the E-dam and the O-dam. It's just one more partial deck on top, although the E-dam will feel a little more crowded with about 200 more people.

The best thing about the Signatures over the Vistas is the Tamarind.

The Tamarind is the Pacific rim restaurant, right? I read somewhere that there's a dim sum selection, maybe for lunch there. Is there an up-charge for that?

And does the hydropool operate the same way as the smaller boats, buy a week's pass for a couple etc?

The Eurodam is not that much bigger then the Oosterdam, it is just taller. I have not been on it but I understand that the Tamarind restaurant is awesome.

Yes cabin 4166 and 4168 are the ones with the bigger decks.

They are...and we had one on the Noordam in '10 for a b2b...but it was a little weird for just the two of us...so much "empty" space. No more furniture than a normal sized verandah. Unless we were traveling with a group...our family or friends...I wouldn't book one again.

The Tamarind is the Pacific rim restaurant, right? I read somewhere that there's a dim sum selection, maybe for lunch there. Is there an up-charge for that?

And does the hydropool operate the same way as the smaller boats, buy a week's pass for a couple etc?

Lunch is free:) but it's a fixed menu. Dinner is $15 pp and worth every penny. And yes, the hydropools operate the same :) a week's pass is the best deal. If there are openings they may offer day passes - but that is hit and miss:D

We love the Tamarind Restaurant for dinner and the Silk Den for cocktails.

Tamarind - $15 per person -- can be prebooked on HAL's website, on once on the ship or by calling Ship Services at 1 -800-541-1576.

When you sit down at the table, a couple of servers will come to the table -- one will pour Jasmine tea while the other one gives you a HOT towel to cleanse your hands. Then you are given your menu. There are already 4 small sauce bowls on the table -- there is a soy sauce; a sweet-sour sauce; a garlic-chili pepper sauce; and a Japanese horseradish sauce (very hot). You are brought a basket of Shrimp Crackers.

SOUP:

Yin-Yang Scallop Consomme’ - tender sea scallops & julienne cut squash in a ginger infused shellfish broth sprinkled with minced scallions

Jewels of the Sea - delicate shrimp filled won ton with sliced baby bok choy in a fragrant lemongrass & sesame broth

Chicken Pho with Wild Lime & Rice Stick noodles - shredded chicken & rice noodles in a coconut milk broth flavored with lime leaf, cilantro, galangal, mint, bean sprouts & Serrano chilies

Appetizers:

Trail of Spices Satay Sampler - Malaysian-spiced lamb, Chinese pork, Thai -spiced beef, Indonesian-spiced chicken & Vietnamese-spiced shrimp served with Asian pickled vegetables & 2 traditional dipping sauces

Shrimp Tempura Indochina - sweet, fresh shrimp dipped in a light batter & fried and served with a tart-and-sweet green papaya salad & garlic chili sauce

Shanghai Ribs - five-spiced rubbed baby-back pork ribs, served over a Chinese pickled cabbage salad with a Tamarind chutney

Streetside Pot Stckers - succulent lobster, pork and chicken dumplimngs, shallow-fried till crispy on the bottom and served with a vinegar-soy ponzu dipping sauce

Spring Roll Delights - a trio of spring rolls: crispy duck, vegetable and a rice paper wrapped lobster roll, served with plum and sweet chili sauces

Thai Beef Salad - rare-seared beef, tossed with scallions, tomatoes, onions and cucumbers -- presented on salad greens and sprinkled with fresh mint, chilies and a lime-leaf dressing

Green Papaya Salad - freshly shredded raw vegetables and spinach, tomato, water chestnuts and papaya tossed with lime juice & palm sugar

Sushi & Sashimi Menu

YOUR CHOICE OF 6 ITEMS AS AN APPETIZER OR 12 AS AN ENTRÉE

Sashimi - tuna, salmon, snapper. Octopus

Nigiri Sushi - tuna, salmon, snapper, Octopus

Sushi Rolls:

Rainbow (reversed California roll topped with an assortment of fish)

California - crab and avocado

Salmon Tsutsumi - salmon, avocado, cream cheese

Tuna Tsutsumi - vegetable roll topped with tuna slices

Yozo - snapper, masago, asparagus, Japanese mayonnaise

Yoshi - tempura snapper, avocado, scallion, Japanese mayonnaise

Wraps - Indonesian vegetable, seafood, lettuce, chicken

Entrees:

Water:

Hoisin-Lime Glazed Sea Bass - Golden pan-seared fish crowned with crisp wok-seared Asian greens

Asia-Pacific Hot Pot - A one-pot surprise consisting of shrimp, scallops, Manila clams, rock fish, crab legs, squid, scallions, shallots, garlic, lemon grass and coriander leaves all braised in a flavorful stock

Baked Snapper in Rice Paper - Snapper marinated in a sake and citrus liquor, then golden baked and served atop ginger and garlic steamed Asian greens

Wood:

Wasabi & Soy Crusted Beef Tenderloin Steak - Served on an oak wood cedar plank and complimented with tempura-style onion rings and vegetables

Scallops & Prawns with Garlic, Ginger and Chili - steamed to perfection and presented in a bamboo basket and drizzled with a light soy sauce

Cantonese Duck & Hainan Rice - roasted, served on a bed chicken borth infused rice and garnished with flakes of fresh chili and cilantro

Fire:

Shrimp Szechuan with Thai Basil - Shrimp sauteed with chili peppers, Asian spices, straw mushrooms, sweet bell peppers and scallions glazed in a light chili sauce

Penang Red Curry Coconut Chicken - A mild spicy dish consisting of chicken cubes braised with Chinese pea pods, eggplant, green zucchini, red pimiento, opal basil, lemon grass and lime juice - presented in a bath of red curry and coconut milk

Vietnamese-Style Lamb with Mint - Thinly sliced lamb loin quickly sautéed with bell peppers, shiitake mushrooms, fresh spinach leaves, minced garlic and scallions

Earth:

Five-spice Seitan & Tempeh - quickly seared with thinly sliced red bell pepper, enoki mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli, scallions, garlic, ginger and soy sauce - served with lime wedges

Sesame Udon Noodles - flat Japanese wheat noodles, stir-fried with tofu, scallions, vegetables, sesame oil and chilies, and sprinkled with toasted peanuts and sesame oil

Sweet and Sour Vegetable Tempura - asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms, green beans, and carrots dipped in a light batter and fried - garnished with fruits and served with Tamarind glaze

On The Side:

Steamed seasonal garden vegetables with red miso garlic sauce

Steamed Jasmine rice OR Brown rice

Stir-fried cucumber, snow peas, mushrooms, scallions and chili with sesame seeds

Bok Choy with oyster sauce

Sake-braised oyster and ****ake mushrooms

Desserts:

Tamarind Chocolate - a bittersweet chocolate shell filled with a rich Tamarind & chili flavored chocolate and ginger mousse served with a red raspberry and black raspberry compote

Mango Cloud - a light egg white souffle served with a mango sorbet

Tempura Ice Cream - coconut & Javanese coffee with infused lemon grass sauce anglaise

Chocolate Almond Fortunw Cookie -- an almond baked tuile with a surprise filling of chocolate panache -- served with a scoop of coconut ice cream

Ginger Banana Bread Pudding - with tempura bananas and caramel sauce

Trio of Sorbets - passion fruit basil, lychee green tea and cube with shaved fruit juices

The Tamarind Lunch is free -- can only make reservations once on the ship.

It is a set menu -- only get to choose dessert:

Hot and Sour Soup

Asian Herb Szechuan Sesame Salad

Steamed Classic Dumplings:

Chicken

Asian Pork

Steam Vegetable

Spinach and Mushroom

Shrimp 'Shu Mat'

From the Wok:

Vegetable Spring Roll

Spicy Crab Sushi Nugget

Shrimp Won Ton Sticks

Shrimp Spring Roll

Spicy Crab Rangoon

Holland America Line Culinary Fusion Sauces:

Bora Bora BBQ - tomato, ginger, aged vinegar, soy sauce

Mirin Pesto - sweet wine, soy, fresh basil, garlic, lemon grass

Coco Churri - coconut, cilantro, chili, lime

Shoyu Sabi - classic flavors of soy and wasabi

Choice of One Dessert:

Mango Sirbet

Coconut Ice Cream

Egg Tart

Green Tea Tiramisu

Oh my! Those menus are wonderful; I may pass on the Pinnacle and just nest up there! Thanks so much-is the the Tamarind dressy like the Pinnacle grill?

Am I right in assuming that a European cruise will be somewhat more formal than the Caribbean, Mexican and Alaskan ones that I've done?

I enjoy formal nights and DH has his own tux and not all that many places to wear it, so the official formal nights are well taken care of.

But what about general day to day clothes? Do you see jeans? or something a bit nicer?

Will the Eurodam be mostly Americans, do you think? or will there be a significant number of other nationalities among the passengers?

It's a year away, and I just got back...but I'm really excited because we just booked our big fat balconies today!!:D

Thanks so much-is the the Tamarind dressy like the Pinnacle grill?

Not for the three times we've eaten dinner there. (One E-dam and two N.A.)

Am I right in assuming that a European cruise will be somewhat more formal than the Caribbean, Mexican and Alaskan ones that I've done?

Not appreciably for the two Med and one Baltic we've done.

But what about general day to day clothes? Do you see jeans? or something a bit nicer?

Pretty much the same as AK or Carib cruises.

Will the Eurodam be mostly Americans, do you think? or will there be a significant number of other nationalities among the passengers?

Mostly Americans and Canadians, but more Europeans than you'd find in AK or Carib.

One of our Med cruises had a lot of Russians. Their dress ran the gamut from sleeveless shirts on some men at dinner to one woman who wore long gloves, a fancy dress, and a different large hat every night!

answers above

Archived