Viking Odin Romantic Danube River Cruise ---- horrible service

paul88

Thank you all for your posts. I've reviewed them carefully. The bottom line in all of this is not about breakfast sausages, it's about the cruise simply not meeting our expectation of service based upon their advertisements and the price paid. Water levels go up and down...I get it. But the service should be consistent regardless; and, someone of authority should be reachable, especially when things go wrong. I'm hoping to hear from the VP of Viking who's supposed to call me.

Thinking of a Viking Cruise....consider the letter I just sent to Viking this morning and which is still unaddressed:

Dear Ms. Maldonado,

Pursuant to instructions on our Viking ticket/contract with respect to being 100% satisfied (page 23, paragraph 3), we expressed in writing (within the 24 hour window) to our program director yesterday morning that we were not satisfied with the service. This was again brought to the attention of the Hotel Manager, in person, upon arriving on the Viking Odin yesterday. Both the program director and the hotel manager stated that they have no authority in this area and that a person of authority, as it pertains to your service contract, was unreachable – nor could they state more specifically when someone could be reachable. We were told that there were time differences affecting this and/or perhaps someone later in the week would address the matter.

Our dissatisfaction has had nothing to do with water levels but with the lack of quality of care and communication from the onset.

1. Your message was presumptuous and rude suggesting/offering a $250 “goodwill” credit of a FUTURE cruise. Any attempt to resolve this with you were treated dismissively.. And it has come to our attention from all of the passengers on the ship that we have communicated with that they feel the same. We have travelled extensively with ocean cruise lines and when unforeseen circumstances were experienced, they have immediately credited us to our shipboard account and they have been generous beyond expectations.

2. Upon arriving at the NH city hotel, it was absolute chaos.. As we waited in an endless line for a room key, we were eventually given a room with separate beds (great way to start our anniversary) overlooking a roof of weeds. Moreover, there was no wi fi, and each separate bed was unmade with a folded duvet placed over a covered mattress sheet in a Spartan outdated hotel room with a little old fashioned TV. We were told that there were no rooms available with a king bed. Moreover, as we waited in the reception for our room, there were no refreshments, cool hand cloths, letters of instructions or direction – which was disorienting and uncomfortable when jet-lagged and toting luggage.

3. The staff we eventually were able to speak with were completely overwhelmed with the situation and repeatedly apologized for low water levels while the Viking customers were more concerned with interim accommodation and having some sense of direction. Most of us were communicating that with the amount of money we have spent for a cruise, the interim accommodation and conditions were horrible and we wanted at least 3 days of credit. We were told by Viking staff that they could not make any decisions and that no one was available that could. When we asked when and where we could speak with someone in authority, no one really knew, again citing time differences, “perhaps later in the week in Austria”, or maybe the hotel manager could help us (which we discovered could not). When I approached the captain he could not converse in English, so even he was not someone we could address our concerns with.

4. The first evening at the hotel, they herded us like cattle into one room and began the apology for water levels again. Again, no one in the interim was upset about water levels but rather the quality of our conditions and having some sense of direction; and, that no one from Viking in authority was present or communicable with.

5. The program director informed us that night that we must have our bags outside our door by 7am (a very early hour when one is exhausted and jet lagged) and that we must be ready to get on a bus by 8am -8:30am and that we would be on that bus (off and on) until 5pm. They were going to bus us around Nuremberg, take us for lunch, and then for a bus ride to the ship. I asked if we could go to the ship first to get settled and the reply was no. I asked if we could keep our hotel room so that we may lock our valuables and not have to bus-ride around with personal belongings, but I was told no and to just leave them on the bus - but when I asked if they would be responsible for our personal belongings, the answer was no. So I asked if we could skip the tour and stay in the hotel until later in the day and then go direct to the ship, but I was again told no and that I must go on the tour or be left behind. Ugh!

6. After a sleepless night we got onto the steaming hot bus with little room to place our personal effects. Viking guests on our bus were dripping sweat out of the heat, anger and exhaustion. The fellow across from me was gasping for air as he reached for his puffer. The bus driver could not turn the air on because we were sitting idle. As we began our bus ride, the air conditioning still did not work.

7. We reached some stops. We and other guests got out carrying all of our carry-on luggage as we went up and down cobblestone streets eventually ending up in a restaurant in the old town of Nuremberg. The restaurant was not air conditioned and the staff were overwhelmed as they just learned the day before that we were coming – they didn’t know earlier! After a one-hour wait we were served consommé with a few noodles floating in it and then 6 greasy and tiny breakfast sausages with cabbage. We started to chat with the restaurant manager as he shared with us his frustration that it was difficult to serve a large group on such little notice. He was sweet and asked if he could make me a cappuccino.

8. As we were about to leave our table, my husband sympathized with one of the Viking staff whom were bombarded with the resentment, anger, frustration and confusion of all these guests – she broke completely down and cried. It saddened me deeply to see this young lady in distress.

9. Eventually we got back onto our steaming hot bus ride to the ship. We were told it was about 1.5 – 2 hours, depending upon traffic. There was no traffic whatsoever and we arrived in 2.5 hours.

10. Upon arriving at the ship, the pleasant part of this note is that the staff were friendly, charming and helpful. The condition and circumstances of the ship were lovely and as were advertised. However, we are on the 3rd day of our supposed cruise, we haven’t moved an inch on the water, and we are not where we are scheduled to be…..and this element is acceptable as water conditions warrant it.

So there you have it for our romantic Danube River cruise which we paid you $6500U.S. for. We want to be refunded with 3/8 of our ticket price as it is outlined that we may receive it on page 23, paragraph 3 of our service guarantee. With respect to this clause and guarantee of your contract, it has been breached already by Viking by a) not already providing our refund; and, b)no one in authority has been in touch with us within the 24 hour time-frame outlined in your stipulation.

I expect you to respond punctually to this email communication and that you refund me as outlined above without further aggravation

Exactly, for environmental reasons!

And don´t call them breakfast sausages :D;)!! They are as famous as the Nürnberger Bratwürste.

Don´t forget to taste the sweet mustard by Händlmeier which is regarded as the best in Germany (it´s also from Regensburg).

steamboats

Yes the Nurnberger Bratwurste is fabulous as is the saurkraut it is served on. It's a sweeter, creamy kraut not like served in the States. Also jars of the mustard can be bought at the site. Es schmeckt gut!!

The OP sounds like a habitual complainer to me.

I'm sorry but I have no real sympathies for the OP either. A lot of complaining over one day off the boat. I think Viking has bent over backwards to please but I have a feeling there's no pleasing him unless he gets his cruise for a drastically reduced price.

It's too bad that people don't come to cruise critic and get educated first. When we booked our first river cruise we knew that high or low river situations might be a possibility. Although we would have been disappointed if this would have happened, we certainly wouldn't have spent a lot of time worrying about it and would have enjoyed what we were dealt. It's sure beats staying at home! You're in Europe, things are good (regardless of what you believe) and you are in control of having a wonderful vacation or a time of griping and complaining, which not only affects you but all the others around you.

My biggest sympathies lie with the crew. The OP said they were pleasant and the ship was lovely. The crew is probably doing the best they can dealing with a ship full of gripers. Put your rose colored glasses on, get off the boat and enjoy yourself. Life is too short to spend a vacation complaining.

It's too bad that people don't come to cruise critic and get educated first.

I think OP came to cruisecritic before and got well educated about everything. He also knew it is the best place to complain since Viking monitors this forum. Unfortunately at this moment cruisecritic is a board of Viking complainers. :)

I think OP came to cruisecritic before and got well educated about everything. He also knew it is the best place to complain since Viking monitors this forum. Unfortunately at this moment cruisecritic is a board of Viking complainers. :)

He joined Aug 18, 2012 and has 3 posts..... he would have had to join to be able to read posts on the forum before his trip.....

He joined Aug 18, 2012 and has 3 posts..... he would have had to join to be able to read posts on the forum before his trip.....

He joined to write the complain. No need to join if you only read posts on the forum. That's what I did for several years before joining it.

When a poster uses the phrase "pursuant to instructions", as the OP did, I think I'm either reading a lawyer or a lawyer "wannabe'

Regardless, I think the poster has interesting expectations re: accomodations/food in Europe.

Best to stick with the ocean lines.

I think that, as at least poster admitted last fall, these complaints are sometimes an opening gambit in negotiations.

Agreed! Note to Tassietraveler. The sausage shop in Regensburg is the oldest in Europe. Be sure to order a large number as they are on the small side.

And you can buy mustard there... we did, and were sorry we only bought 1 jar!!

Fran

Our least favorite sausages were the local specialties in Regensburg and Nuremberg. Just did not care for those skinny ones.

We enjoyed the Weisswurst in Berlin the most and had some great sausages in Austria and Bavaria as well - we like them crispy from the grill, on crusty rolls, with that wonderful coarse mustard. YUMMY!

Thank you all for your posts. I've reviewed them carefully. The bottom line in all of this is not about breakfast sausages, it's about the cruise simply not meeting our expectation of service based upon their advertisements and the price paid. Water levels go up and down...I get it. But the service should be consistent regardless; and, someone of authority should be reachable, especially when things go wrong. I'm hoping to hear from the VP of Viking who's supposed to call me.

Sorry, but your complaint wasn´t about the cruise itself. It´s been about the replacement part (hotel, bus transfer, lunch). You haven´t been on the ship and of course the Viking folks can´t offer the same service as they can onboard as they have to rely on the "land contractors" meaning they can only offer what the hotel is able to provide. And they can only provide what´s available... If there is no 7 star hotel in Nuremberg they can´t give you a 7 star hotel room. If all 5 star hotels are fully booked what do you expect them to do?? They can only book the best available 4 star hotel. And sorry, but I´ve never seen anyone on a cruise ship who was allowed to give me a 3/8 refund without asking the company´s headquarter.

We enjoyed the Weisswurst in Berlin the most and had some great sausages in Austria and Bavaria as well - we like them crispy from the grill, on crusty rolls, with that wonderful coarse mustard. YUMMY!

:D:D There are two statements in your post that I can´t agree with:D: First of all, Weißwurst is a local specialty of Munich (and I wouldn´t even think of eating one in Berlin). And never put a Weißwurst on a grill!!!:eek: They are heated in not boiling water. Peel the skin off and eat them with sweet mustard (preferably Händlmeier).

steamboats

My biggest sympathies lie with the crew. The OP said they were pleasant and the ship was lovely. The crew is probably doing the best they can dealing with a ship full of gripers. Put your rose colored glasses on, get off the boat and enjoy yourself. Life is too short to spend a vacation complaining.

Actually all groups I had were really nice and enjoyed the tour, even if they have been bussed around for 3 hrs (Vilshofen - Nuremberg). In fact don't forget: about 10 ships are affected at, number rising and there are 2 grumpy posts on CC, not 1500 :)

First of all, Weißwurst is a local specialty of Munich (and I wouldn´t even think of eating one in Berlin).

Hrhr, same here: I can't understand (but I show them the way) how people actually CAN eat gingerbread at this time of the year. I think as a german one is conditioned in a certain way..

Have to add my two cents worth. Our neighbours experienced high water levels when they took a river cruise a number of years ago. The boat couldn't make it under the bridges and they had to be bussed. They made the best of it and so will we when we travel on Viking Legend in May 2013. Mother Nature doesn't tell us her plans and anything can happen. As others have said, if you can't go with the flow you should stay at home.

[quote name=steamboats;35027058

:D:D There are two statements in your post that I can´t agree with:D: First of all' date=' Weißwurst is a local specialty of Munich (and I wouldn´t even think of eating one in Berlin). And never put a Weißwurst on a grill!!!:eek: They are heated in not boiling water. Peel the skin off and eat them with sweet mustard (preferably Händlmeier).

steamboats[/quote]

steamboats, I am certain you are correct. I don't like boiled things so did not try any of those boiled sausages. The sausages we liked best were white in color so perhaps I use the wrong name for them. We had them several times on trips to Berlin and they were definitely grilled. Any idea what they could be? We shall be in Berlin for the holidays and are headed there on arrival to our favorite stand.

Most European hotels, not American brands, have beds that have a sheet on the mattress, with a duvet to cover them, sometimes it is rolled at the bottom of the bed. This is common and not unusual. I think the OP hasn't traveled much on land.

Most European hotels, not American brands, have beds that have a sheet on the mattress, with a duvet to cover them, sometimes it is rolled at the bottom of the bed. This is common and not unusual. I think the OP hasn't traveled much on land.

......and air conditioning is a luxury not a necessity......

Facing the heatwave and / or the low water: You have no idea how much I would pay for an AC or rain :)

We were on the Danube from the end of June to the middle of July -- during a heat wave that saw record breaking temperatures all through that area. It *was* difficult... I reconciled to be permanently damp, but, occasionally, I would just get overheated, and I really thought I would be ill. One time, I was feeling exhausted and overheated, and we were far away from the boat... and made the mistake of getting into a taxi. Either the driver didn't have A/C, or he didn't want to turn it on, but before I knew it, I was breaking out into a cold sweat, and the world was spinning. I'm glad we got out shortly thereafter.

A little funny story.... in Visegrad (I believe) we watched the Knight's tournament, and then went to a restaurant where we were served in a covered area, with no A/C, and few fans, all 140 of us (including the PMs). At the end of the meal, we were given the option to return to the boat right away, or stay and watch them make strudel and do a wine tasting. DH and I came back straight away, and I saw them putting chafing dishes with towels on the table where we picked up the water bottles on the way out. DH made a joke about "hot towels", and I said "oh no... surely those are COLD towels".

I was wrong. <blink> Most days, upon coming back from our 95 degree tours (105 heat index) we had nice hot steaming towels awaiting us.

I keep wondering... who thought that was a good idea???

......hmmmmm...seems like the Cruise Critic has turned into the Food Channel......:D

As we don´t have the Food Channel over here :rolleyes::rolleyes:..

Caviargal, the only sausage I can think of in Berlin is the Currywurst which can be a grilled white sausage (veal). It´s usually cut into pieces and served with a hot curry based ketchup sauce. But there are also lots of different kinds of veal sausages which are grilled.

steamboats

Archived