CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

You get back on the NJ Turnpike and follow the signs to exit 14A Bayonne.

Which route are you using to arrive in the Newark area? The Doubletree can be a little hard to find unless you print out the written directions from their web site. GPS is unreliable in the area and it's easy to take a wrong turn to get lost in a sea of spaghetti roads.

Do you have good directions to the port from exit 14A?

The hotel website has directions coming in I78 east. These are the direction from exit 14A.

For this area GPS and signage is unreliable. Visuals do better. When you come through the toll, go straight across the toll plaza and up a ramp that curves left. Stay to the right and turn right at every opportunity until you come to the traffic light at route 440. Turn left, stay to the left, and make the very first left onto Goldsborough Drive. You will be able to see the ship. The street will merge with Port Terminal Blvd and you follow that out to the ship.

Hello all you helpful NY/NJ'ers ... Last time we sailed out of Cape Liberty, we booked our Amtrak tickets for the wrong terminal in Newark (EWR). This time I know to book the train to the second Newark station. Is there a shuttle service that I can use to get 8 of us to port? I am trying to avoid paying for 2-3 cabs.

Best route from Long Island? Taking our own car, (not till 6/22) heard GPS could be problem because there are some closed roads? Wondering if this is due to construction that will still be going when we are heading there. Thanks in advance!

Hello all you helpful NY/NJ'ers ... Last time we sailed out of Cape Liberty, we booked our Amtrak tickets for the wrong terminal in Newark (EWR). This time I know to book the train to the second Newark station. Is there a shuttle service that I can use to get 8 of us to port? I am trying to avoid paying for 2-3 cabs.

If you are going directly to Cape Liberty, you can go via either Newark Station. Usually coming in on Amtrak there is only a small price difference, if any difference at all. Newark Penn Station might actually be better because all you would have to do is to get your luggage downstairs to get transportation. If you get off at Newark International, you will have to get your people and luggage

onto the Airtrain and ride to one of the terminals and get your folks and luggage downstairs to find your transportation. There are escalators and elevators, but it is an extra step.

Give these folks a call and ask what they suggest - Independent driver - 888-816-0973

This is a no frills service, but they can accommodate groups. Be sure you know how much luggage you will have. When I used them, we had 7 people in a van and with all the luggage it was tight. I didn't have much stuff, but some folks had multiple bags.

Just so you know, both stations are about the same distance from the port. The transportation cost should be about the same, but IMO Newark Penn Station should be easier for your group.

Edited by 138east

Best route from Long Island? Taking our own car, (not till 6/22) heard GPS could be problem because there are some closed roads? Wondering if this is due to construction that will still be going when we are heading there. Thanks in advance!

Where are you coming from on Long Island? It's a Saturday, right?

I'm not a big Long Island expert, but I know folks either come through the city and take the Holland Tunnel or they pony up for the Verrazano Bridge and come via Staten Island. I'll let others comment on the current status of construction projects that could affect your trip.

Where are you coming from on Long Island? It's a Saturday, right?

I'm not a big Long Island expert, but I know folks either come through the city and take the Holland Tunnel or they pony up for the Verrazano Bridge and come via Staten Island. I'll let others comment on the current status of construction projects that could affect your trip.

We are in Nassau County, I'm thinking Verrazano. Just reading different posts that people suggest going a certain way, the directions from online & GPS aren't as direct?

Let's see if someone from Long Island posts. My area of expertise is driving from NE to Cape Liberty and I know that Google and Mapquest always try to send folks down I95 instead of on the cars only parkway route through Westchester County. I95 is horrible through NYC and none of my Westchester County relatives would ever choose that route to go to the GW Bridge.

But that doesn't help you. If you have a favorite route to Manhattan then you can cut across to one of the tunnels or the GW Bridge and take the NJ Turnpike to Exit 14A.

Plans for private pick up at pier have not worked out. We now plan to take a shuttle to EWR and then take air train to train station to travel shore route To Red Bank or Long Branch NJ. Which EWR. train station and what train line works for this itinerary?

Let's see if someone from Long Island posts. My area of expertise is driving from NE to Cape Liberty and I know that Google and Mapquest always try to send folks down I95 instead of on the cars only parkway route through Westchester County. I95 is horrible through NYC and none of my Westchester County relatives would ever choose that route to go to the GW Bridge.

But that doesn't help you. If you have a favorite route to Manhattan then you can cut across to one of the tunnels or the GW Bridge and take the NJ Turnpike to Exit 14A.

Thanks so much!

We are in Nassau County, I'm thinking Verrazano. Just reading different posts that people suggest going a certain way, the directions from online & GPS aren't as direct?

I haven't done the drive, but this would be my instinct, too. I think Staten Island would be easier than the Bronx or Manhattan. But, as you know, it could be "one of those days" where anything could be tied up ;)

So here's my question: As any NY'er knows, gas is significantly cheaper in NJ than in NY. The roads leading into Cape Liberty seem to be mostly highway, until the industrial port area. So where can I get gas before I head home? Last time I followed one of those blue "gas-food-lodging" signs I ended up about 10 miles out of my way to find the station. I should be fine until I hit western NJ. I just would like to find someplace convenient. It doesn't have to be the cheapest - anyplace in NJ is fine!

What route will you be traveling from Cape Liberty?

Me? If I follow the AAA Trip-Tik, from PA on I-80 to I-287 to Rt 24 to I-78, exit 14A then the directions you provided upthread. What happens if I stay on I80 to I-280 to the Garden State Pkwy? Is that better? I'm not driving a truck.

Thanks - your info is invaluable!

ETA: I just reworked the Trip-Tik to include the GSP - it's estimated to be 3 minutes longer, that's why it didn't come up as the primary route (it goes by time). So considering the two routes to be the same, any suggestions?

Edited by SnowshoeCat

Me? If I follow the AAA Trip-Tik, from PA on I-80 to I-287 to Rt 24 to I-78, exit 14A then the directions you provided upthread. What happens if I stay on I80 to I-280 to the Garden State Pkwy? Is that better? I'm not driving a truck.

Thanks - your info is invaluable!

ETA: I just reworked the Trip-Tik to include the GSP - it's estimated to be 3 minutes longer, that's why it didn't come up as the primary route (it goes by time). So considering the two routes to be the same, any suggestions?

We took that route from Rochester in March and on the weekend it was fine. We came back on a weekday and were in stop and go traffic all along I78, and RT 24. It added 20-25 min to our ride. Next time we plan to take I80 to I95 to I 78. Hopefully that will be better.

Mike

Hello! I've scoured through all the East Coast boards and even searched so if the answer is out there but I've overlooked it, I apologize!

We will be on the Explorer out of Bayonne on September 29th. We have booked the Hampton Inn and Suites on Staten Island for the 2 nights prior. I know that if we prearrange it, Hampton will provide us (via the Hilton next door) with a complimentary shuttle from Newark to the hotel & from the hotel to the boat the day we cruise.

Does anyone know if they will also provide a return postcruise shuttle to the airport? Has anyone used this service? Anything you'd be willing to share would be appreciated!

Blessings to all!

My understanding is that you could take the shuttle back to Hampton Inn and from there a hotel shuttle would take you to the airport. For $16 you can get a shuttle directly from Cape Liberty to the airport. Going via Staten Island to then go to the airport is really the long way around.

Arriving back at Port Liberty on a Saturday morning (Sept 21). Looking for advice regarding...

Flight departure times. We can book a 10:50 or a 3:15 flight out of Newark. Is the 10:50 even possible?? We would take a cab, not a shuttle, in this case.

Transportation. Estimate for cab ride (for 2) from the port to Newark airport? On this thread it appears that the shared shuttle is $16 each.

Is it true that it takes about 20 minutes from port to airport (Newark)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice! We're trying to book our airfare and need help with this!

Annie - Newark is a highly urban industrial area and you must be selective about your hotel. All the hotels around the airport have an airport shuttle. To get to the port you need to book a car service which will quote a flat rate plus tolls and tip. Even if you take a cab, the trip would be a quoted rate and not a metered trip.

Right now aa.com is your friend. For Sept 15 look at these hotels. Be aware that many Newark hotels do not have restaurants, so you can be looking at walking to a nearby hotel to eat or ordering take out. Hotels which offer free breakfast usually do not have a restaurant. The prices listed do not include tax.

Hampton Inn - $80.75

Doubletree - $87.96

Ramada plaza - $89.25

Holiday Inn - $96.25

Country Inns - $95.18

I would look first at Country Inns. The rate is great. They offer an expensive cruise package, but folks booking independently have been able to buy their shuttle transportation for $35/pp rt, which is a great deal since car service quotes have been running $50-60.

Lots of cruisers stay at CI. They offer a free breakfast and they are next to Jersey Gardens Mall which has a food court. Next door there is a Ruby Tuesdays and an IHOP plus a Courtyard with a restaurant.

How does the cruise / park reservation work? If I'm only staying 1 nite, the price of the room is let's say $150, that also includes the parking of your car for 7 -8 days even though you've only stayed one night at the hotel? :)

Yes - the park sleeps from trinityreservations and stay123 offer up to 14 nights free parking for the price of the hotel room. On top of that you have to pay for round trip transportation to the port. You're on an 8 night cruise and live in NJ so it might not be economical for you since the port parking would be $152.

If you're considering this I would look at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island because you can get a free shuttle to the port if you pay the $14 bridge toll to cross into NYC.

Yes - the park sleeps from trinityreservations and stay123 offer up to 14 nights free parking for the price of the hotel room. On top of that you have to pay for round trip transportation to the port. You're on an 8 night cruise and live in NJ so it might not be economical for you since the port parking would be $152.

If you're considering this I would look at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island because you can get a free shuttle to the port if you pay the $14 bridge toll to cross into NYC.

Is the $14 bridge toll per person or for the entire shuttle van? If for the shuttle van than is the $14 divided by number of passengers?