Valor mismanagement

Jacobs4

There was a place set up for people to go and I have no idea when that was arranged.

To answer your question, I prolly would have stayed at the airport or have gotten a room to stay in until the port opened.

The OP made it quite clear that he was allowed in AND was told food would be provided. He should have been sent to the alternate location or been informed that he should leave & he would be notified when to come back. He would have had the option to rent a hotel room or go get something to eat. He was not informed. That is where the ball was dropped.

The OP made it quite clear that he was allowed in AND was told food would be provided. He should have been sent to the alternate location or been informed that he should leave & he would be notified when to come back. He would have had the option to rent a hotel room or go get something to eat. He was not informed. That is where the ball was dropped.

You are right, he/she should have been informed upon arrival but this should have been the responsibility of the Port Authority of Miami since it is they that operate and run the Port.

It appears that the Miami Port Authority should shoulder most of the responsibility being as they were not communicating to their guests.

Just throwing this out there to chew on---

During any emergency situation, be it fire, earthquake, tornado or hurricane it is up to the people to be proactive first about themselves. We know we should have provisions to last us 72 hours in the event of an earthquake.

We learnt the hard way always to travel with some food. Once we got stuck in the Dome for many hours while security, Coast Guard, K-9s etc had to search the Paradise for a missing couple. Only one was found a few weeks later in the water. :(

As far as info goes many of the port people have no idea what's going on. If they had said, "I truly don't know what's happening," it would have been better than the blank stares.

So, you travel with food for 72 hours?

Strange. Especially going on a cruise.

Just saying...

Andy.

Maybe you should have followed the thread since I was answering a question. :rolleyes: But I did say a few pages back that the people should not have been allowed to enter the terminal. But lets face it, if anyone had been turned away, there still would have been moaning and groaning.

Cruisers were informed for THOSE WHO CHECKED, not to be at the terminal until 9:00PM. When does it become the responsibilty of the cruiser to get the information that was needed? Knowing theire was a TS/Hurricane in the area would have been the very first clue to chweck the Carnival Cruise Line site.

This is at 11 pages so I'm not reading it all.

Simple truth is carnival CANNOT control the weather or the port.

!

You should have as this has nothing to do with the current discussion.

Who said Miami was shut down? I can't find where/when this happened?

I am just imagining the scene in that Carnival waiting room where OP and family were waiting to board the Valor....; Imagining someone opening their bag and pulling out a granola bar, or a pop tart, and then,,,,2500 plus sets of "starving" eyes on that person and his/her treat! Would not like to be in that position!:D

Seriously though, after reading a lot of this thread, I can mostly say that I feel somewhat badly for the employees! To be booed and heckled like that must have been a rough way to end the work day! I know that the worse thing in customer service work, is to be in a chaotic situation, and have no information, and no support from your upper management. It can be demoralizing at times. Then they get to come in next day and do it all over again. Much better to be the "irate" passenger who has been inconvenienced for half a day, but is about to embark on a 7 day cruise! :(

I hope that OP fills up on food this week to make up for the lack of food on boarding day. Sorry, a little sympathy here, but not too much either.

Welcome to cruising during hurricane season. Most of the issues with port closing and including port side food is beyond Carnivals control. Ever try to get food on short notice for 2-3000 people or more with 2 ships coming into port. They are at mercy of the available vendors and what they can supply on short notice.

Exactly. BUT they can be prepared for it.

Really. How would that be handled? I've been in a few and the most I've ever seen as far as provisions go is a couple of vending machines and once or twice there was a stand that sold water and soft drinks. A few have Duty Free stores that sell liquor(San Juan, PR). The majority of the area is taken up by baggage retrieval area under the control of U.S customs.

I am just imagining the scene in that Carnival waiting room where OP and family were waiting to board the Valor....; Imagining someone opening their bag and pulling out a granola bar, or a pop tart, and then,,,,2500 plus sets of "starving" eyes on that person and his/her treat! Would not like to be in that position!:D

Seriously though, after reading a lot of this thread, I can mostly say that I feel somewhat badly for the employees! To be booed and heckled like that must have been a rough way to end the work day! I know that the worse thing in customer service work, is to be in a chaotic situation, and have no information, and no support from your upper management. It can be demoralizing at times. Then they get to come in next day and do it all over again. Much better to be the "irate" passenger who has been inconvenienced for half a day, but is about to embark on a 7 day cruise! :(

I hope that OP fills up on food this week to make up for the lack of food on boarding day. Sorry, a little sympathy here, but not too much either.

I wonder how many pounds he lost waiting?:rolleyes:

Welcome to cruising during hurricane season. Most of the issues with port closing and including port side food is beyond Carnivals control. Ever try to get food on short notice for 2-3000 people or more with 2 ships coming into port. They are at mercy of the available vendors and what they can supply on short notice.

4 ships came into port. 2 Carnival, 1 Norweign and the other Royal Caribbean.

Your probably right . But maybe in the future Carnival will have someone on speed dial that make some sandwiches, a bag of chips, a piece of fruit and a bottle of water on short notice.

50 loaves of bread, 125 lbs of meat, 10 cases of different fruit. 10 cases of differnt chips and cookies and a pallet of water.. OK where is the local Costco:D

Oh give me a break. Why is Carnival more responsible for everybody's welfare anymore than the local businesses? Everyone knew that there was a major storm yet elected to go to the port in a storm and expect the ship to be there so they could board.. Take responsibility and use your own brain to determine that this might not be the best course of action and don't blame a company for YOUR POOR JUDGEMENT.

Oh give me a break. Why is Carnival more responsible for everybody's welfare anymore than the local businesses? .

Where did I say Carnival was responsible???????

But for customer service reasons it would be nice if they were

Are you serious????

Yes....I travel for work, and things happen....I'v ebeen on a plane for hours on a runway....i now travel with poptarts & granola bars just in case......you never know when you won't have access to food and just need a little something....I'm not going to sit around without food and bitch that someone else should have fed me...

Yes....I travel for work, and things happen....I'v ebeen on a plane for hours on a runway....i now travel with poptarts & granola bars just in case......you never know when you won't have access to food and just need a little something....I'm not going to sit around without food and bitch that someone else should have fed me...

I bring snacks. Also pop tarts and cheese crackers. Not for "just in case", but if I wake up in the night on a cruise, I want a quick familiar snack. So, I'd be ready too. And more understanding than some posters.

Your probably right . But maybe in the future Carnival will have someone on speed dial that make some sandwiches, a bag of chips, a piece of fruit and a bottle of water on short notice.

50 loaves of bread, 125 lbs of meat, 10 cases of different fruit. 10 cases of differnt chips and cookies and a pallet of water.. OK where is the local Costco:D

Wow really? Where exactly would they store this?

Carnival is supposed to just keep spending money on things such as this "just in case"? Are they supposed to have people on staff at all times "just in case"?

Let me ask you this...do YOU have loaves of bread, several pounds of meat, several cases of different fruit, several cases of chips and cookies and additional water just sitting around your house "just in case"?

To answer your question....I'm pretty sure the local Costco was CLOSED (As were all the other stores) because there was a major tropical storm heading to the area.

In this day and age, there is honestly no reason for people to not be informed about changes. The information is out there...people ned to stop being lazy and need to take responsibility instead of blaming everyone else around.

This is a joke people:rolleyes:

Archived