Valor mismanagement

Jacobs4

The cruise of 26th August was delayed due to storm Issac. But the subsequent management at Miami port was nothing short of mismanagement and poor communication. If not set right shortly there will be chaos and retribution from the passengers gathered here since 2pm and it is 9pm. People have been prOmised food (lunch earlier and dinner) with nothing turning up and staff throwing up their hands. Ship is not ready and no food served here for about 9 hrs. Families on warpath. Total mismanagement leaving passengers without food in addition to 34 hour delay. If u have any plans of cruising on CARNIVAL you need to fend for your own if this is how their management team works

Carnival gave specific instructions not to arrive until 8PM.....

now if people are to stupid that they can not follow SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS than that is not Carnival mismanaging anything....

it is just stupid people not following instructions...

That has changed since this morning. When traveling Im not on a computer and dont own a smart phone.

So I understand OP's frustration

But if you already know there is an issue....

then it is your responsibility to find a way to stay updated.....

Here is my problem with all of this. People know that a tropical storm/hurricane is approaching Florida. The main worry to to be able to get to FL for their cruise, the next thing should be, when the port will be opening for boarding. Whether you are able to check the cruiseline website on the internet (phone or computer) or call an 800 number for updated information, that should be the cruisers personal responsibilty.

If boarding after lunch is scheduled, then grab something to eat PRIOR to arriving at the port. If boarding is scheduled to begin after dinner, get something to eat for dinner!

If you happen to be in the terminal, then Carnival personnel should have all the information on hand. Maybe a board that can be updated as new information is being received is needed.

I would be frustrated also at the lack of information if I had been at the port, however, I would have also checked with the cruiselines for any updates prior to leaving for the port.

Carnival gave specific instructions not to arrive until 8PM.....

now if people are to stupid that they can not follow SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS than that is not Carnival mismanaging anything....

it is just stupid people not following instructions...

So what you're saying is, 550 stupid people showed up at the terminal even though Carnival made the ultimate effort in advising them against it?

Now, I'm not disputing that one half to one quarter of the passengers on any give CCL cruise are idiots but if Carnival did indeed make the ultimate effort, why offer food and drink and then not deliver?

That's kinda sado-masochistic don't you think?

And those of us on CC or a seasoned cruiser would probably be more informed pre cruise.

If this happened on my first cruise I wouldnt know what to do.

We have Earthquakes in California not Hurricanes :eek:

See, now I'm not sure if I agree with that... If I were on a cruise for the first or second time, and the weather was horrible, I'd have double and triple checked with whomever I could to make sure I didn't screw anything up! But, that's just me..and I'm DEFINITELY not like everyone else!! :)

I would have carried snacks, too.. :o

If you want communication, you should avoid Amtrak at all costs!! :p

Odd to read that, but that may definitely have been the case in the past.

On Saturday (8/25) morning, I received two robo calls, two text messages, and two e-mails that both of my Sunday (8/26) Amtrak bookings had been cancelled due to system outages/weather.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm now choosing to stay out of the fray regarding my opinion of the communication challenges that took place during a very trying time for the cruiselines, their passengers, and their crew/staff the past few days, with one exception . . .

If the CCL ships in Port of Miami were challenged in the communication between Corporate and the affected terminals, that would be a sad and disappointing thing since those decision makers are in offices three blocks away from the ships.

Sounds like you expected everything to be business as usual, when it was apparent it was not.

It also appears you did not follow issued protocol. The mismanagent appears to be in your end.

It appears to me YOU are assuming things you know nothing about.

So what you're saying is, 550 stupid people showed up at the terminal even though Carnival made the ultimate effort in advising them against it?

Now, I'm not disputing that one half to one quarter of the passengers on any give CCL cruise are idiots but if Carnival did indeed make the ultimate effort, why offer food and drink and then not deliver?

That's kinda sado-masochistic don't you think?

Yes, I am saying it is the height of stupidity to go to a Port that is not even open.

Who does that???

As for the food....did it ever occur to anyone that since Miami just had a brush with a hurricane that Carnival usual "go to" places for food were not capable of providing that kind of food order???

As I understand it, the ship is not allowed to bring off food per Customs restrictions.

People are arriving at 2PM??? The Port did not open until 4PM and there was no guarantee that it would open at 4PM which is why Carnival told people to use a little bit of common sense and come at 8PM.

Poor planning on the part of unreasonable tourists should not constitute an emergency on Carnival's part!

My company doesn't. Carnival is consistently terrible at customer service.

That's for sure. I sailed on a 7 day cruise that left on a Sunday. Just after embarkation I went to the Purser about an issue requiring correction with paperwork in hand. The answer "We can't do anything until Tuesday when the office opens, Monday is a holiday."

They send ships to sea on weekends and during holidays but aren't equiped to handle situations because NO ONE is available? That's just dumb.

It appears to me YOU are assuming things you know nothing about.

Mr Pete knows that people were arriving at 2PM to a port that was not even open and without any guarantee of when it would be open....

you do not need to "assume" anything with those kinds of facts.

It is not Carnival's responsibility to fix a chaotic mess that tourists like this create!

See, now I'm not sure if I agree with that... If I were on a cruise for the first or second time, and the weather was horrible, I'd have double and triple checked with whomever I could to make sure I didn't screw anything up! But, that's just me..and I'm DEFINITELY not like everyone else!! :)

I would have carried snacks, too.. :o

My son was to fly out of Tampa Monday at 6am. He called the airline repeatedly and couldn't get any clear info from anyone, even other airlines, what the prospect of the flight happening as scheduled all day Sunday and in the very early hours Monday. Planning doesn't always help...

if you want communication, you should head over to the brand ambassadors facebook page.

he says both ships sailed yesterday afternoon in the 5 oclock hour.

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=welcome#!/JohnHeald/posts/438955299480370

i don't think they even docked at port of miami until about that 'hour'... watched it on the webcam. and i got distracted / fell asleep waiting for them to leave lol.

My company doesn't. Carnival is consistently terrible at customer service.

That's for sure. I sailed on a 7 day cruise that left on a Sunday. Just after embarkation I went to the Purser about an issue requiring correction with paperwork in hand. The answer "We can't do anything until Tuesday when the office opens, Monday is a holiday."

They send ships to sea on weekends and during holidays but aren't equiped to handle situations because NO ONE is available? That's just dumb.

The corporate office for the resort I work with is not open to handle issues on Sundays and holidays, so it is not that uncommon a practice. I am sure that there were personnel in the office to handle emergency issues, but the everyday issue, not necessarily.

Concerning the handling of the communication and food for this particular situation, is it not possible that efforts were made, hence the reason for broadcasting there would be food, and then due to the complications of the weather, it could not happen?

The bottom line is that unreasonable tourists created a chaotic mess ...

and are now complaining that Carnival did not fix the chaotic mess created

by the tourists to the their satisfaction.....

IF these tourists had arrived a 8PM as instructed....

this thread would not even be here....

and you want to blame Carnival???

must be recent. it was there all "afternoon". hope no one was using it as a resource!

minor difference in the world of cruising, eh?

Yes it was recent. If people could have seen John's update, then they also could have went to Carnival's own website.

how many places does one need to visit to get correct information from carnival?

Not only that but not everyone knows who john is. I realize people here think he is best thing ever but most people aren't going to know who he is much less that he is on facebook and has a blog.

Mr Pete knows that people were arriving at 2PM to a port that was not even open and without any guarantee of when it would be open....

you do not need to "assume" anything with those kinds of facts.

It is not Carnival's responsibility to fix a chaotic mess that tourists like this create!

really LHP ... petey knows the OP and was with him and knew the information regarding the ship that the OP was getting. Now your assumming

Not only that but not everyone knows who john is. I realize people here think he is best thing ever but most people aren't going to know who he is much less that he is on facebook and has a blog.

Personally I avoid John Heald. I'm just not a fan of his prepubescent humor.

I don't buy that Carnival is not at fault. THEY are supposed to be the professionals. THEY have control over what happens at the terminal.

Did I hear somebody say, "But it was a weekend!"?? A hurricane is approaching a major port that Carnival is the major player at and nobody at Corporate wants to bothered on a WEEKEND?

For some stupid reason I beleive that.

Archived