Valor mismanagement

Jacobs4

Wow really? Where exactly would they store this?

Carnival is supposed to just keep spending money on things such as this "just in case"? Are they supposed to have people on staff at all times "just in case"?

Let me ask you this...do YOU have loaves of bread, several pounds of meat, several cases of different fruit, several cases of chips and cookies and additional water just sitting around your house "just in case"?

To answer your question....I'm pretty sure the local Costco was CLOSED (As were all the other stores) because there was a major tropical storm heading to the area.

In this day and age, there is honestly no reason for people to not be informed about changes. The information is out there...people ned to stop being lazy and need to take responsibility instead of blaming everyone else around.

Hi, in jonbgd"s (Doc's) defense, I really believe he was posting this in somewhat jest. There is really no need to berate him so.

So, you travel with food for 72 hours?

Strange. Especially going on a cruise.

Just saying...

Andy.

She never said she travels with food for 72 hours. She says she has provisions on hand in case of an earthquake. Just saying...

Basically it's the BoyScout addage of being prepared.

Not enough for 72 hours but enough for overnight. We bring hard candies and several types of cereal bars for port. If DDtheYounger is with us we also carry Pringles. Never enough for a full course meal but enough to fill our stomachs a bit. We do not bring MREs. Maybe we should pack a few seeing what happened to the Splendor. My 22" is never packed to the gills.

We bring a bit more since we were detained in the Dome while they were searching for the couple that jumped overboard. Carnival wasn't allowed to bring food to the pax, even though most of it was still on the dock. I know they brought, from the ship, large water dispensers. At least the bathrooms were working and fully stocked.:)

We arrived noonish, 10 minutes too late, and embarkation was shut down around 12:30. We finally got onboard at 6. Fastest safety briefing in history. Met in our muster stations for directions and they told us where our lifeboats were. Both dinner services were an hour late.

We've also been stuck on the tarmac in Atlantic City for six hours in 2009 at the end of our flight to JFK. Many had nothing, we were sharing what we had.

Wow really? Where exactly would they store this?

Carnival is supposed to just keep spending money on things such as this "just in case"? Are they supposed to have people on staff at all times "just in case"?

Let me ask you this...do YOU have loaves of bread, several pounds of meat, several cases of different fruit, several cases of chips and cookies and additional water just sitting around your house "just in case"?

To answer your question....I'm pretty sure the local Costco was CLOSED (As were all the other stores) because there was a major tropical storm heading to the area.

In this day and age, there is honestly no reason for people to not be informed about changes. The information is out there...people ned to stop being lazy and need to take responsibility instead of blaming everyone else around.

I keep seeing these post about things being closed and shutdown that is far from the case. As anyone who lives in any coastal area of Florida, we go on about our normal business for a Tropical Storm. It just so happens that I was in S. Florida the last two days and Miami was far from closed. Restaurants, stores, malls, etc...everything was open. My business meeting continued on as scheduled.

Also to those trying to blame PofM...when you check into your cruise and walk into the terminal...are those folks wearing name badges that say PofM? No, they wear a Carnival uniform and name badge. They are hired CCL employees not PofM. Carnival fails constantly when it comes to handling situations such as these. They should have bused or provided transportation to those at the port to the alt location. They could have ordered pizza from all the local pizza restaurants to provide food for those affected.

Airlines, have a much better plan in place when it comes to handling situations that are weather related...but then again its mandatory for them due to the Passenger Bill of Rights.

Im curious I've seen what RCL has offered in terms of the folks going on the Allure, which is VERY generous in my opinion. Has it been stated what CCL has offered to those on the Valor?

I am just imagining the scene in that Carnival waiting room where OP and family were waiting to board the Valor....; Imagining someone opening their bag and pulling out a granola bar, or a pop tart, and then,,,,2500 plus sets of "starving" eyes on that person and his/her treat! Would not like to be in that position!:D

Seriously though, after reading a lot of this thread, I can mostly say that I feel somewhat badly for the employees! To be booed and heckled like that must have been a rough way to end the work day! I know that the worse thing in customer service work, is to be in a chaotic situation, and have no information, and no support from your upper management. It can be demoralizing at times. Then they get to come in next day and do it all over again. Much better to be the "irate" passenger who has been inconvenienced for half a day, but is about to embark on a 7 day cruise! :(

I hope that OP fills up on food this week to make up for the lack of food on boarding day. Sorry, a little sympathy here, but not too much either.

OMG!!! I cannot stop laughing imagining that person opening up their pop-tart or granola bar!!!!:D:D:D Too bad it wasn't a bag of very crunchy Doritos!!!!!

Seriously, I do feel badly that Carnival said they were going to provide food and then didn't....but what moron (who is starving to death by the way because they knew how much food they would eat once on the cruise so they didn't eat all day before leaving for the port sits and waits 2-1/2 hours for food that had been promised only to get another announcement and waits another 2-1/2 hours for more "promised" food...who waits that long without eating the announcer?

There are also drinking fountains for those dying of thirst, you don't need to contaminate the world further with bottled water....of which 90% ends up in landfills...

Those who scoff at the idea of GOD FORBID planning for the unexpected...oh wait, geesh, isn't that what you are saying Carnival should have done, but individuals should not plan ahead for themselves? Anyway, those same people "poptarts, not me" or "why would I?" are probably the same people who take 3-4-5 packages of poptarts and cereal boxes and bananas from the buffet as you leave for your shore excursions.

I am sure Carnival could have done a better job here...absolutely. The Port Authority should have closed thegates to not allow anyone else in. But each of the 550 "brilliant" people could have done something better as well.

EVERYONE it seems is out to blame someone else and take no responsibility for their own actions or their own families...somone else should have planned better...someone else should have told me....someone else, someone else, someone else.....when does it end?

Oh, and the "tent" comment was relevant. We sit here in this country all priviledged and stupid...Iw ould like to say ignorant, but we are just plain stupid....about the perils faced every day by the rest of the world. So while we sit here an complain that omg I have not eaten since I had my Starbucks Mocha and Blueberry muffin when I checked out of the Hilton, think about the people in Haiti living in tents for the last 2 years who don't have a Starbucks and their tent...their HOME....just got blown away by the same storm ruining your precious vacation. Instead of complaining on here, make your next family vacation someplace where you can help people who don't have a Starbucks.

OMG this sounds like entitlement at its best/worst! Everyone wants someone else to prepare, wants someone else to take care of them, wants someone else to bear the cost...but no one else wants to pay for it....

They could have ordered pizza from all the local pizza restaurants to provide food for those affected.

quote]

Which would have lead to another thread or 2 about the lack of variety of toppings available due to obvious "cutbacks" and how Carnival was not being sensitive to those with Gluten free restrictions.

They could have ordered pizza from all the local pizza restaurants to provide food for those affected.

quote]

Which would have lead to another thread or 2 about the lack of variety of toppings available due to obvious "cutbacks" and how Carnival was not being sensitive to those with Gluten free restrictions.

Plus the pizza used to be better. It used to be pizzaier.

The cruise of 26th August was delayed due to storm Issac. But the subsequent management at Miami port was nothing short of mismanagement and poor communication. If not set right shortly there will be chaos and retribution from the passengers gathered here since 2pm and it is 9pm. People have been prOmised food (lunch earlier and dinner) with nothing turning up and staff throwing up their hands. Ship is not ready and no food served here for about 9 hrs. Families on warpath. Total mismanagement leaving passengers without food in addition to 34 hour delay. If u have any plans of cruising on CARNIVAL you need to fend for your own if this is how their management team works

Some bad math there.

Im curious I've seen what RCL has offered in terms of the folks going on the Allure, which is VERY generous in my opinion. Has it been stated what CCL has offered to those on the Valor?

From an earlier post, copied from Carnival's website:

TROPICAL STORM ISAAC UPDATE – 8/27/2012 – 9:45PM (EDT)

CARNIVAL VALOR and CARNIVAL IMAGINATION – 8/27/12 DEPARTURE

The Port of Miami has reopened. Check-in is set from 9:00pm to 11:00pm. Due to limited seating, please do not proceed to the cruise terminal any earlier than 9:00 PM.

We’ve secured the Doubletree Convention Center in the event you need a place to wait. 711 N.W. 72nd Avenue, Miami, FL, 33126, Phone# 305-261-3800.

Guests on the Carnival Valor will receive a:

- Two-day pro-rated refund of your cruise fare

- Onboard credit for 50.00 USD per person

- Refund of government fees and taxes for Key West

- Onboard credit for 25.00 USD per person (meal allowance)

- Gratuity adjustment for Sunday and Monday

Guests on the Carnival Imagination will receive a:

- One-day pro-rated refund of your cruise fare

- Onboard credit for 25.00 USD per person (meal allowance)

- Gratuity adjustment today

We’re truly sorry for the delay and are looking forward to welcoming you on board!

I keep seeing these post about things being closed and shutdown that is far from the case. As anyone who lives in any coastal area of Florida, we go on about our normal business for a Tropical Storm. It just so happens that I was in S. Florida the last two days and Miami was far from closed. Restaurants, stores, malls, etc...everything was open. My business meeting continued on as scheduled.

Also to those trying to blame PofM...when you check into your cruise and walk into the terminal...are those folks wearing name badges that say PofM? No, they wear a Carnival uniform and name badge. They are hired CCL employees not PofM. Carnival fails constantly when it comes to handling situations such as these. They should have bused or provided transportation to those at the port to the alt location. They could have ordered pizza from all the local pizza restaurants to provide food for those affected.

Airlines, have a much better plan in place when it comes to handling situations that are weather related...but then again its mandatory for them due to the Passenger Bill of Rights.

I beg to differ with you but the people that you see with the Carnival uniforms are second party hires. Carnival subs out the hiring of port personnel to other businesses so although they do wear a Carnival uniform they are not Carnival employees and not directly paid through Carnival.

omg!!! I cannot stop laughing imagining that person opening up their pop-tart or granola bar!!!!:d:d:d too bad it wasn't a bag of very crunchy doritos!!!!!

Seriously, i do feel badly that carnival said they were going to provide food and then didn't....but what moron (who is starving to death by the way because they knew how much food they would eat once on the cruise so they didn't eat all day before leaving for the port sits and waits 2-1/2 hours for food that had been promised only to get another announcement and waits another 2-1/2 hours for more "promised" food...who waits that long without eating the announcer?

There are also drinking fountains for those dying of thirst, you don't need to contaminate the world further with bottled water....of which 90% ends up in landfills...

Those who scoff at the idea of god forbid planning for the unexpected...oh wait, geesh, isn't that what you are saying carnival should have done, but individuals should not plan ahead for themselves? Anyway, those same people "poptarts, not me" or "why would i?" are probably the same people who take 3-4-5 packages of poptarts and cereal boxes and bananas from the buffet as you leave for your shore excursions.

I am sure carnival could have done a better job here...absolutely. The port authority should have closed thegates to not allow anyone else in. But each of the 550 "brilliant" people could have done something better as well.

Everyone it seems is out to blame someone else and take no responsibility for their own actions or their own families...somone else should have planned better...someone else should have told me....someone else, someone else, someone else.....when does it end?

Oh, and the "tent" comment was relevant. We sit here in this country all priviledged and stupid...iw ould like to say ignorant, but we are just plain stupid....about the perils faced every day by the rest of the world. So while we sit here an complain that omg i have not eaten since i had my starbucks mocha and blueberry muffin when i checked out of the hilton, think about the people in haiti living in tents for the last 2 years who don't have a starbucks and their tent...their home....just got blown away by the same storm ruining your precious vacation. Instead of complaining on here, make your next family vacation someplace where you can help people who don't have a starbucks.

Omg this sounds like entitlement at its best/worst! Everyone wants someone else to prepare, wants someone else to take care of them, wants someone else to bear the cost...but no one else wants to pay for it....

like...like..like!:)

quote]

They simply could order 100 gluten frees, 100 with no meat, 50 with cheese, 50 just veggies.50 fat free pepperonis, 50 lactose free, 50 combos, 50 koshers:D And, they must be hot, not too spicey, not too much salt:rolleyes:

I guess I could blame it on the 13+ inches of rain we've received in the last 2 days here in Palm Beach County.:o

Here....here!

I am in West Boynton and couldn't leave the house yesterday due to flooding. Missed a flight to boot....

Not sure what you are apologizing for, way too much drama in some of these threads.

But I am rather disappointed in folks actually trashing CCL, the ports here in S FL and public services. It's Mother Nature. Get a grip people. Sorry your vacation was delayed, or in some opinions.....uhhhh, ruined, really?

If you feel so strongly, you can come to my house and clean up the crap in my yard or help me look for my pool's skimmer cover because it floated away when my pool overflooded, the third time yesterday afternoon. Has anyone seen it???

They simply could order 100 gluten frees, 100 with no meat, 50 with cheese, 50 just veggies.50 fat free pepperonis, 50 lactose free, 50 combos, 50 koshers:D And, they must be hot, not too spicey, not too much salt:rolleyes:

Yummy... and as a Platinum cruiser I'm ENTITLED to get 1st dibs. Right? Or was I screwed over on this too with the new VIFP thingy.

I beg to differ with you but the people that you see with the Carnival uniforms are second party hires. Carnival subs out the hiring of port personnel to other businesses so although they do wear a Carnival uniform they are not Carnival employees and not directly paid through Carnival.

I happen to be very closely related to a CSR employee at a port and I know for a fact there pay check comes straight from CCL...this link on CCL confirms that.

https://www3.apply2jobs.com/Carnival/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=819&CurrentPage=1

But everyone should know that a hurricane is coming so why would you go to the port so early? When you show up and there is no ships in the port wouldn't you realize there was a delay? I understand your frustration but Carnival is not in charge of the port and can't help the weather. You booked a cruise in hurricane season!

I happen to be very closely related to a CSR employee at a port and I know for a fact there pay check comes straight from CCL...this link on CCL confirms that.

https://www3.apply2jobs.com/Carnival/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=819&CurrentPage=1

Thanks for the link, HC.

I know for fact the earlier statement was not the case for all cruise lines out of Florida embarkation ports, but I didn't want to open my trap about Carnival, as I definitely wasn't certain about that . . . and it wouldn't have surprised me that much if it were true.

Some of the people working the ports do, however, represent multiple lines.

Thanks for the link, HC.

I know for fact the earlier statement was not the case for all cruise lines out of Florida embarkation ports, but I didn't want to open my trap about Carnival, as I definitely wasn't certain about that . . . and it wouldn't have surprised me that much if it were true.

Some of the people working the ports do, however, represent multiple lines.

Anytime...I just happened to know that one for a fact since I have a SIL who happens to work at a port for CCL. I also know that NCL for example contracts those jobs out, not to the port but to a hospitality firm.

Letters were given out and guest advised not to get there before 9pm. Most people choose not to listen and head to a port that was forced closed

How would a guest recieve these letters????

But everyone should know that a hurricane is coming so why would you go to the port so early? When you show up and there is no ships in the port wouldn't you realize there was a delay? I understand your frustration but Carnival is not in charge of the port and can't help the weather. You booked a cruise in hurricane season!

I can only take a personal guess at the first question:

Perhaps the word Hurricane has more potential of getting the attention/fear of people than the term Tropical Storm (which it was). Isaac was certainly a bad and unwelcome dude, but he only became an official hurricane this afternoon heading into Louisiana/Mississippi.

Those storms can be just as bad in the overall picture, but perhaps the classification of the situation didn't sound nearly as ominous.

And regarding the "If the ship ain't in port you'd realize there was a delay" . . . two examples come to mind: Carnival Legend couldn't be seen in Tampa, but it wasn't delayed arriving. It went somewhere totally different. People didn't need to wait around or go back to hotels as a solution to delay. They needed to get their fanny to Canaveral. I knew the answer from reading here online, but there truly could have been some who showed up Sunday morning thinking "Hello? Hello?"

Also [admittedly unrelated to these part few days, but shines a light on more piss-poor communication by CCL] . . . passengers on this weekend's Carnival Ecstasy sailing have documents the very clearly advise them to report to Terminal 3. Two of my co-workers are on that sailing, and we're meeting up in Nassau while I'm on a different ship. I've told them to ignore the information and go the correct terminal. They printed their documents again today, and the misinformation about T3 continues, and for every single passenger on that ship. Those two embarkation points are as far away as possible at Port Canaveral. Hopefully the directional LCD screens over the entry roadways will alert everyone to the correct ship, since the information directly from CCL is all goobered up. :(

Letters were given out and guest advised not to get there before 9pm. Most people choose not to listen and head to a port that was forced closed

Were these letters delivered via carrier pigeon?

They couldn't have been mailed since they didn't know until the last minute that the port would close. The only way they could have received letters would be if they arrived at the port.

Or perhaps they just showed up to pick up their letter. :confused:

Add me to the earlier folks who are confused at your comment. :confused:

If you just got off a plane and don't carry a computer around how would you know where to go? Did Carnival have personel at the airport directing you where to go? Everyone seems to want to lay all the blame on the traveler. This wasn't the first hurricane/storm that Carnival or the port has dealt with. I hope Carnival learned something from this. If the port was closed they should have directed all the people to the convention center.

Does it make any sense to you that all the folks who are not from Florida and may have been traveling all day had no way to get these updates. And folks from out of state who aren't familiar with Miami don't have the advantage of turning on a dime and seeking out a convention center.

Archived