Valor mismanagement

Jacobs4

People who did not eat for 12 hours in no way compares to what happened to the Costa ship.

Um....that's why I said as much. Good catch. (shaking head)

It definitely speaks to Carnival's inability to employ decision-makers.

it could be ignorance of my part, but i didnt realize you could bring food on board the ship. many others probably thought the same. i guess thats a lesson learned for next time.

Isnt that like bringing sand to the beach:D

ill be honest, i skipped everything after page 3. people blaming the OP for this just irks me.

i am diabetic, so, to be stuck somewhere with no access to food for 9 hours is kind of a big deal and a big problem for me. i cant imagine that there were no other diabetics stuck in that terminal with the OP ...

it could be ignorance of my part, but i didnt realize you could bring food on board the ship. many others probably thought the same. i guess thats a lesson learned for next time.

I am a diabetic also and that is the reason why I carry a snack with me at all times. But again that is another reason to make sure thaat your flights and boarding times are good to go.

You are correct, it does not matter to me. Expecially since I have no idea what PTO is. Other than "Power Take Off" that is.

Honestly, unbunch your "barely theres". Right, wrong or indifferent Carnival Cruiseline has 550 paying customers in discomfort just outside their ship and what do they do? They did the equivalent of putting a glass of water just....out.....of......reach.

Now, if this is YOUR idea of customer service, perhaps you might consider Haiti as your next vacation stop.

Instead of "going above and beyond" CCL went "below and behind".

True dat.

I've been reading your posts on this message and I would like to ask you for your well thought out and honest plan for how you would of handled this situation given that you were the cruise line. How would you of fed these people? How would you of kept them entertained. How would you of contacted each and every one that was booked for this cruise.

I really am not trying to be a smartass but I keep reading your (and others) negative comments but I have read nothing as to what you and the others would of had Carnival do. So I am cruious.... Just what would you have done given the same situation.

I've been reading your posts on this message and I would like to ask you for your well thought out and honest plan for how you would of handled this situation given that you were the cruise line. How would you of fed these people? How would you of kept them entertained. How would you of contacted each and every one that was booked for this cruise.

I really am not trying to be a smartass but I keep reading your (and others) negative comments but I have read nothing as to what you and the others would of had Carnival do. So I am cruious.... Just what would you have done given the same situation.

Been there, done that. INFORMATION. GET IT - GIVE IT. Second is hydration.

It is the PORT OF MIAMI. Not some little podunk port where there are no services. Is there food in Miami? For Sale? By people willing to sell it? Do you think that, with the thought of 550 customers a vendor would say no?

Should CCL pay for it? Not necessarily. 550 folks made the same mistake. It's obvious that at least THESE folks were not properly informed. I think Carnival should share the blame.

In any case INACTION is not the course to take.

Doing "nothing" is a job done wrong.

...as I read through posts of nonsense and know it alls..it is their fault...ccl fault...pop tarts...no info...tents in Haiti...Healds Fault...

I wonder if the OP had Wine that they were taking onboard...and if they did why weren`t they drinking it instead of causing this CC mess...

It is the PORT OF MIAMI. Not some little podunk port where there are no services. Is there food in Miami? For Sale? By people willing to sell it? Do you think that, with the thought of 550 customers a vendor would say no?

Should CCL pay for it? Not necessarily. 550 folks made the same mistake. It's obvious that at least THESE folks were not properly informed. I think Carnival should share the blame.

How can they GET and GIVE INFORMATION when the decision is up to the Port of Miami and not Carnival? 550 people did not look at the news, didn't look at Cruise Critics or even glance at Carnival's web site.

I found the press release dated Aug 26 for the announcements of the closing ports.

http://cruiseradio.net/hurricane-isaac-forecast-closes-florida-cruise-ports/ (same announcement that notified the Allure cruisers of what was going on)

As a result of Port Miami shutting down, Carnival Valor will stay at sea another day, and return to Miami until Monday morning. Carnival Valor’s scheduled six-day cruise will now operate as a five-day cruise departing Aug. 27, visiting Grand Cayman and Montego Bay (the scheduled call in Key West has been cancelled). Departure time for the Aug. 27 cruise is expected to be at 8 pm. Guests who opt to sail on this voyage will receive a one-day pro-rated refund of their cruise fare and a $50 per person shipboard credit. Guests also have the option of cancelling and receiving a full refund or a future cruise credit equal to the amount of their cruise fare.

Expected yes, but Coast Guard did not allow port to open until they deemed it safe.

So when does the cruiser take responsibilty for his lack of seeking information on their cruise? Why did 550 people think that if they arrived at the port at noon that they would be boarding soon?

I expect the folks at the port to KNOW what the last update was on the Carnival site and to provide this to the pax showing up so they know what to expect. People here ranting about how the OP should have online and know it.. I think CARNIVAL and port folks should be the ones expected to do this.

COMMUNICATION. that was my biggest gripe. Dont say we will give out food and then not do it as a for instance. Follow thru on what you promise.

No matter how many times people like the OP and myself say the problem is the lack of COMMUNICATION, in this case with the folks running the port, I kept seeing people saying .. well how could Carnival know ... how could Carnival know its own updates??? really?? Communicate to your own people the latest.

Dont say well the OP should have been online getting updates.. YOUR PEOPLE at the port should have this information.

Fire, the OP was online as he posted here and Carnival posted on their website that they wouldn't start checking people in until after 8 so why get to the port at 2? He had the means to check info, knew there was a storm-not defending Carnival, just stating that there has to be some personal repsonsibility.

Pat

O.k., let's take the information problem first. The Ports are staffed by separate personnel not paid by Carnival. It is usually the Port Authority of the city that each port is in that hires people for the work at the respective ports so given that, most there do not have direct access to anyone with firsthand knowledge of emergency plans at Corp. HQ. Now granted, there are a few and I am meaning a very few) that are Carnival employees but these people are usually greeters and again, have no direct access to the decision makers.

As to the Hydration. I read the OP's original post and nowhere did I read that there was no water. I do not have a firsthand knowledge of this situation and neither do you so I think that assuming that there was no water would be in error.

Granted this is Miami and as you put it "no Podunk port" but this is Miami that has just been put under a hurricane warning. Miami has been through this drill for years and when there is a chance of a hurricane the town shuts down. Are there some restaurants still open? Yes a few but for the most part they are running on a skeleton crew and do not have the ability to furnish 500+ meals on a moment’s notice complete with delivery.

Your comment that these folks were not properly informed has some merit but I still do not know how better Carnival could have informed them prior to their arrival to the Port.

Can things be done better by Carnival? Of course and one would hope that they do strive to learn and do better and you are correct that Carnival should shoulder some of the blame but personal responsibility also needs to come into play in any situation.

Thanks for responding. :)

Fire, the OP was online as he posted here and Carnival posted on their website that they wouldn't start checking people in until after 8 so why get to the port at 2? He had the means to check info, knew there was a storm-not defending Carnival, just stating that there has to be some personal repsonsibility.

Pat

No,not here. Whether it is escargot, chair hogs or elegant night attire, it's aways Carnivals fault.:rolleyes:

Granted this is Miami and as you put it "no Podunk port" but this is Miami that has just been put under a hurricane warning. Miami has been through this drill for years and when there is a chance of a hurricane the town shuts down. Are there some restaurants still open? Yes a few but for the most part they are running on a skeleton crew and do not have the ability to furnish 500+ meals on a moment’s notice complete with delivery.

But with 200(+ -???) hotels within a 10 mile radius im thinking someones catering/special events planner would have jumped at this.

How can they GET and GIVE INFORMATION when the decision is up to the Port of Miami and not Carnival? 550 people did not look at the news, didn't look at Cruise Critics or even glance at Carnival's web site.

I found the press release dated Aug 26 for the announcements of the closing ports.

http://cruiseradio.net/hurricane-isaac-forecast-closes-florida-cruise-ports/ (same announcement that notified the Allure cruisers of what was going on)

As a result of Port Miami shutting down, Carnival Valor will stay at sea another day, and return to Miami until Monday morning. Carnival Valor’s scheduled six-day cruise will now operate as a five-day cruise departing Aug. 27, visiting Grand Cayman and Montego Bay (the scheduled call in Key West has been cancelled). Departure time for the Aug. 27 cruise is expected to be at 8 pm. Guests who opt to sail on this voyage will receive a one-day pro-rated refund of their cruise fare and a $50 per person shipboard credit. Guests also have the option of cancelling and receiving a full refund or a future cruise credit equal to the amount of their cruise fare.

Expected yes, but Coast Guard did not allow port to open until they deemed it safe.

So when does the cruiser take responsibilty for his lack of seeking information on their cruise? Why did 550 people think that if they arrived at the port at noon that they would be boarding soon?

I can't believe all the slams Carnival is getting. They did all they could on short notice of the port closure and finding out at the last minute the port wasn't opening when they said it would. There were thousands of people due to cruise and not just one, but 2 ships! Every one of the cruisers KNEW there was a storm:eek: Out of those 550 dreamers, not one had a phone or other device to get messages??? Others found there way to the hotel, so going there was no secret.

I imagine some were hungry, but really, they were not going to starve to death. None of us know the inner workings of dealing with this type of situation, it's not like it happens often. Those people showed up to meet a ship that wasn't even there, yet feel they were treated like second hand citizens!

If you had arrived at the MIA or FLL airport at noon on your scheduled flight, with the car service waiting for you, what would you have done?

I would have gone to the port to get the most up-to date info. A plan should have been in place NOT to let people into the terminal but to send them elsewhere where food & shelter was arranged. Miami is huge with many hotels, convention centers, arenas etc. Not an insurmountable problem, IF there is a protocol in place.

On one trip to Vegas, we just checked into our room, opened the curtains to see all the power go out at the Bellagio just across the strip. It wasn't 2 minutes before the drive was blocked & a security officer was waving the limos away. They were also directing people to other properties from a list they had.

Companies need to plan for the unusual and work the plan when the unusual happens.

But with 200(+ -???) hotels within a 10 mile radius im thinking someones catering/special events planner would have jumped at this.

You would think but do you have any idea how much preperation time it takes to make meals for 500+?

Now I don't know when Carnival made the announcement that they would furnish food but if it was in the early afternoon, there is no way a catering company, restaurant or special events planner would of had time to gathere all the food and prepare it in just a few hours.

The sun wasn't shining. I would imagine they were tied up securing their own buildings and keeping their patrons safe:rolleyes: Would YOU force your employees to round up ingredients, stay and cook and deliver meals for 500 people in the middle of a storm?

You would think but do you have any idea how much preperation time it takes to make meals for 500+?

Now I don't know when Carnival made the announcement that they would furnish food but if it was in the early afternoon, there is no way a catering company, restaurant or special events planner would of had time to gathere all the food and prepare it in just a few hours.

exactly. And grocery stores ( such as there are in Miami proper) weren't exactly overflowing at the seams with 'inventory'.

I'm willing to bet Miami was probably pretty much a ghost town... I doubt there was even anybody around to make sandwiches.

If you had arrived at the MIA or FLL airport at noon on your scheduled flight, with the car service waiting for you, what would you have done?

I would have gone to the port to get the most up-to date info. A plan should have been in place NOT to let people into the terminal but to send them elsewhere where food & shelter was arranged. Miami is huge with many hotels, convention centers, arenas etc. Not an insurmountable problem, IF there is a protocol in place.

On one trip to Vegas, we just checked into our room, opened the curtains to see all the power go out at the Bellagio just across the strip. It wasn't 2 minutes before the drive was blocked & a security officer was waving the limos away. They were also directing people to other properties from a list they had.

Companies need to plan for the unusual and work the plan when the unusual happens.

There was a place set up for people to go and I have no idea when that was arranged.

To answer your question, I prolly would have stayed at the airport or have gotten a room to stay in until the port opened.

Your probably right . But maybe in the future Carnival will have someone on speed dial that make some sandwiches, a bag of chips, a piece of fruit and a bottle of water on short notice.

50 loaves of bread, 125 lbs of meat, 10 cases of different fruit. 10 cases of differnt chips and cookies and a pallet of water.. OK where is the local Costco:D

My family worked in catering/restaurant business and we almost NEVER kept that much extra food around as the goal was to minimize waste. Any type of protein would have to be cooked, packaged and delivered unless they happened to have an extra 500 sandwiches on hand. Hotels are going to take care of their guests first. With a hurricane on the way, they are also NOT going to give up supplies they may need in case they end up with guests trapped there due to bad weather and cancelled flights and cruises.

I lived through a few hurricanes in Florida and the first thing everyone did was hoard their supplies. Getting food for that many people at the last minute would be very difficult. Also... what was the weather like outside? Was it safe for caterers/deliveries or was the rain and wind crazy? Just wondering if that was a excacerbating circumstance.

your probably right . But maybe in the future carnival will have someone on speed dial that make some sandwiches, a bag of chips, a piece of fruit and a bottle of water on short notice.

50 loaves of bread, 125 lbs of meat, 10 cases of different fruit. 10 cases of differnt chips and cookies and a pallet of water.. Ok where is the local costco:d

"like" :)

I also am a diabetic, and I was told that I SHOULD ALWAYS carry something on me, in case of a Sugar LOW!

So That makes ME responsible!

This thread is very entertaining though, simply for the fact that we don't use Common Sense anymore.

Your probably right . But maybe in the future Carnival will have someone on speed dial that make some sandwiches, a bag of chips, a piece of fruit and a bottle of water on short notice.

50 loaves of bread, 125 lbs of meat, 10 cases of different fruit. 10 cases of differnt chips and cookies and a pallet of water.. OK where is the local Costco:D

They can't do that as they are held to specific standards to preparaing and serving food. it has to arrive pre-made, pre-packaged and wrapped. Can't be self serve without safety protocols such as sneeze shields in place. That is why the ships are inspected for food safety. They still have to meet all those requirements if they feed you in the terminal and they also have to first get permission from the port authority.

My family worked in catering/restaurant business and we almost NEVER kept that much extra food around as the goal was to minimize waste. Any type of protein would have to be cooked, packaged and delivered unless they happened to have an extra 500 sandwiches on hand. Hotels are going to take care of their guests first. With a hurricane on the way, they are also NOT going to give up supplies they may need in case they end up with guests trapped there due to bad weather and cancelled flights and cruises.

I lived through a few hurricanes in Florida and the first thing everyone did was hoard their supplies. Getting food for that many people at the last minute would be very difficult. Also... what was the weather like outside? Was it safe for caterers/deliveries or was the rain and wind crazy? Just wondering if that was a excacerbating circumstance.

I saw lots of cars and trucks driving around POM

They can't do that as they are held to specific standards to preparaing and serving food. it has to arrive pre-made, pre-packaged and wrapped. Can't be self serve without safety protocols such as sneeze shields in place. That is why the ships are inspected for food safety. They still have to meet all those requirements if they feed you in the terminal and they also have to first get permission from the port authority.

You have experience here and my Costco statement was a joke sort of.

But a staff of 10 could make 500 sandwiches in 2hrs?????

Archived