Valor mismanagement

Jacobs4

Last news I got was that Carnival pro rated the day back to passengers, $25 OBC per person,

and muster was at 1:30AM on the Imagination.

Safe cruising folks.... it was a BAAAAD start..lets hope it finishes well.

Agree with everything you say BUT how is the OP's situation all Carnivals fault. S>$% happens.

Perhaps CCL could have done things better but even faceless corporations are made up of many people doing

the best they can in a bad situation. Why is this just another chance to slam Carnival.

BTW, I wouldn't use this as an opportunity to blame OP either. Again, doing their best in a bad situation.

I agree that it really wasn't anyone's fault. In situations like these people get frustrated. I'm sure the crew was on edge as well.

I don't get why people attack just because someone vents here. It seems that there may have been a communication breakdown. And when that happens it causes stress for everyone.

IMO people today lack empathy. Its not difficult to understand why anyone would be on edge by this situation regardless of whose fault it may be.

I remember taking a flight out of .... somewhere .... we were on the tarmac waiting for the all clear when suddenly the flight was cancelled and we were returned to the terminal and off loaded. The pilots detected a mechanical problem before taking off. Back at the terminal I watched a very angry man grow purple in the face loudly yelling at the desk clerk about the cancellation. I couldn't believe it, it was beyond comprehension. The man was arguing the pilots should have flown a plane with problems!

Same thing applies here... hurricanes happen, storm surges can break mooring lines on cruise ships, kill passengers and crew who are boarding.

Grab a cab to a restaurant or hotel. Relax until the all clear is given. Does anyone go to the airport anymore without first checking the status? Given the weather in the gulf it is inconceivable to me not to check on the status of my cruise as well.

:confused:

I agree that it really wasn't anyone's fault. In situations like these people get frustrated. I'm sure the crew was on edge as well.

I don't get why people attack just because someone vents here. It seems that there may have been a communication breakdown. And when that happens it causes stress for everyone.

IMO people today lack empathy. Its not difficult to understand why anyone would be on edge by this situation regardless of whose fault it may be.

Carnival sells a good boat ride at a decent price.

But when something occurs that is out of their normal routine Carnival does not handle things well.

They also do not communicate well.

One might think that they would have protocols set up for various predictable situations, but it seems like they do not.

If you have not experienced Carnival going into their Three Stooges mode, then you don't know what the op or Fire was talking about.

When Fire or the op says that things are disorganized and that no one seems to know anything about anything, then believe them as it sounds exactly like classic Carnival procedure.

I hate to tell you this, but when there is a emegency, Carnival is known to have a lot of problems dealing with them. There have been plenty of times in Galveston, fog .. food promised.. no where near enough food, most people didnt get anything. Hours waiting etc. Its not the first or last time.

Just try and get by until you get onboard.

Most of the people who post how its your fault not Carnival's probably have never been at the port when there was a emegency. Its easy to sit at their computer throwing stones at you for booking during hurricane season.. but it happens. Just try and keep up your chin and not let it affect your cruise.

Carnival's lack of compassion and total disregard for the welfare of its passengers is very well documented here.

This is what happens when a company puts profit before performance.

But, hey! The worst day cruising...

rah-rah...

and who doesn't travel with pop-tarts or granola bars or something just in case something unexpected happens?

W*TF? Seriously?

Then there would be no room for the spare tire should your rental have a flat.

Eesh!

I'm curious as to what people really expect Carnival (or any cruise line or airline) to do in this situation. It's unfortunate that Carnival promised food, but apparently was not able to deliver. I imagine that they are under no obligation to provide anything other than updated information about what is going on with any particular delay. I'm certainly no corporate cheerleader, but how much can any company do when faced with delays that are out of their hands.

I keep myself almost too informed when I travel, but not everyone is like that. Cruising is unique in that many people have to fly to any given cruise terminal and really are stuck there once they arrive. I've been stuck on the tarmac, in terminals and even an overall 8 extra hours on an Amtrak (:mad: our train cars restroom was out of service too!!!!) train. I was usually a bit ticked off, but delays can and will be a part of traveling. You deal with it and move on because that it usually the only part of these things you can control.

Heck, I got rained out at a NASCAR race at Talladega (for which we drove from Houston). We huddled under the stands for 6 hours hoping the race would start, but it was delayed to the next day. Could I do anything about it? Nope. Did we expect anything other than the hope that the race would happen? Nope. We showed up the next day and had a blast even though there were no food/drink vendors and the seats were wet. It could have been a lot worse if the weather system hung around another day as we only planned one extra day for this very reason. When we look back, the delay is now just part of a bigger story of our overall trip.

Carnival sells a good boat ride at a decent price.

But when something occurs that is out of their normal routine Carnival does not handle things well.

They also do not communicate well.

One might think that they would have protocols set up for various predictable situations, but it seems like they do not.

If you have not experienced Carnival going into their Three Stooges mode, then you don't know what the op or Fire was talking about.

When Fire or the op says that things are disorganized and that no one seems to know anything about anything, then believe them as it sounds exactly like classic Carnival procedure.

While I haven't experienced it, I was agreeing that it was a bad situation. 3000 people standing around wondering what is going on and unsure what to do would frustrate me as well.

People come on here all the time complaining about waiting in line to board or waiting in line at the buffet etc. But someone who stands around for hours not really knowing what is going on gets told to go with the flow. Makes no sense.

I'm curious as to what people really expect Carnival (or any cruise line or airline) to do in this situation. It's unfortunate that Carnival promised food, but apparently was not able to deliver. I imagine that they are under no obligation to provide anything other than updated information about what is going on with any particular delay.

I expect the folks at the port to KNOW what the last update was on the Carnival site and to provide this to the pax showing up so they know what to expect. People here ranting about how the OP should have online and know it.. I think CARNIVAL and port folks should be the ones expected to do this.

COMMUNICATION. that was my biggest gripe. Dont say we will give out food and then not do it as a for instance. Follow thru on what you promise.

No matter how many times people like the OP and myself say the problem is the lack of COMMUNICATION, in this case with the folks running the port, I kept seeing people saying .. well how could Carnival know ... how could Carnival know its own updates??? really?? Communicate to your own people the latest.

Dont say well the OP should have been online getting updates.. YOUR PEOPLE at the port should have this information.

I expect the folks at the port to KNOW what the last update was on the Carnival site and to provide this to the pax showing up so they know what to expect. People here ranting about how the OP should have online and know it.. I think CARNIVAL and port folks should be the ones expected to do this.

COMMUNICATION. that was my biggest gripe. Dont say we will give out food and then not do it as a for instance. Follow thru on what you promise.

No matter how many times people like the OP and myself say the problem is the lack of COMMUNICATION, in this case with the folks running the port, I kept seeing people saying .. well how could Carnival know ... how could Carnival know its own updates??? really?? Communicate to your own people the latest.

Dont say well the OP should have been online getting updates.. YOUR PEOPLE at the port should have this information.

Fire when you are right you are right!

Below is the Weather Alert memo that has been on the Carnival Website highlighted in bright day-glo yellow since yesterday. Plus they sent an email to all passengers.

TROPICAL STORM ISAAC UPDATE – 8/27/2012 – 9:45PM (EDT)

CARNIVAL VALOR and CARNIVAL IMAGINATION – 8/27/12 DEPARTURE

The Port of Miami has reopened. Check-in is set from 9:00pm to 11:00pm. Due to limited seating, please do not proceed to the cruise terminal any earlier than 9:00 PM.

We’ve secured the Doubletree Convention Center in the event you need a place to wait. 711 N.W. 72nd Avenue, Miami, FL, 33126, Phone# 305-261-3800.

Guests on the Carnival Valor will receive a:

- Two-day pro-rated refund of your cruise fare

- Onboard credit for 50.00 USD per person

- Refund of government fees and taxes for Key West

- Onboard credit for 25.00 USD per person (meal allowance)

- Gratuity adjustment for Sunday and Monday

Guests on the Carnival Imagination will receive a:

- One-day pro-rated refund of your cruise fare

- Gratuity adjustment today

We’re truly sorry for the delay and are looking forward to welcoming you on board!

Below is the Weather Alert memo that has been on the Carnival Website highlighted in bright day-glo yellow since yesterday. Plus they sent an email to all passengers.

TROPICAL STORM ISAAC UPDATE – 8/27/2012 – 9:45PM (EDT)

CARNIVAL VALOR and CARNIVAL IMAGINATION – 8/27/12 DEPARTURE

The Port of Miami has reopened. Check-in is set from 9:00pm to 11:00pm. Due to limited seating, please do not proceed to the cruise terminal any earlier than 9:00 PM.

We’ve secured the Doubletree Convention Center in the event you need a place to wait. 711 N.W. 72nd Avenue, Miami, FL, 33126, Phone# 305-261-3800.

Guests on the Carnival Valor will receive a:

- Two-day pro-rated refund of your cruise fare

- Onboard credit for 50.00 USD per person

- Refund of government fees and taxes for Key West

- Gratuity adjustment for Sunday and Monday

Guests on the Carnival Imagination will receive a:

- One-day pro-rated refund of your cruise fare

- Gratuity adjustment today

We’re truly sorry for the delay and are looking forward to welcoming you on board!

That is the latest one and way different from the one posted 24 hrs ago

That changed at least 3 times yesterday

Carnival's lack of compassion and total disregard for the welfare of its passengers is very well documented here.

Yet during a hurricane in PR last year when ships had to depart a day early, RCCL was the one with a poor response and "no compassion for customers" while CCL flew people with passports to the next port that could not be in San Juan the day prior at no charge.

So blah blah blah all companies suck at doing something at some point...v:p

If you want communication, you should avoid Amtrak at all costs!! :p

I wonder, in these situations, if it's a matter of each entity waiting for the other to inform each other of what is going on. All the while you have a terminal full of uninformed passengers getting bent out of shape.

I don't cruise enough to have experienced any issues like this, but I imagine the law of averages will eventually catch up.

That is the latest one and way different from the one posted 24 hrs ago

That changed at least 3 times yesterday

its different, but not all that much.. This one was from 21 hours ago ( I posted it to FB for family)

CARNIVAL IMAGINATION – 8/27/12 DEPARTURE

Officials for the Port of Miami have informed us that the port remains closed for ship traffic. They will be further assessing port conditions at 2PM. So, embarkation for your cruise will begin later than previously anticipated. As soon as we have more information we will update you accordingly. Please do not proceed to the cruise terminal until further notice.

Yet during a hurricane in PR last year when ships had to depart a day early, RCCL was the one with a poor response and "no compassion for customers" while CCL flew people with passports to the next port that could not be in San Juan the day prior at no charge.

So blah blah blah all companies suck at doing something at some point...v:p

My company doesn't. Carnival is consistently terrible at customer service.

So, I guess, your "blah blah blah" is so much yadda-yadda...

its different, but not all that much.. This one was from 21 hours ago ( I posted it to FB for family)

CARNIVAL IMAGINATION – 8/27/12 DEPARTURE

Officials for the Port of Miami have informed us that the port remains closed for ship traffic. They will be further assessing port conditions at 2PM. So, embarkation for your cruise will begin later than previously anticipated. As soon as we have more information we will update you accordingly. Please do not proceed to the cruise terminal until further notice.

Thanks and If I remember there were a couple others as well.

While anyone that has a smart phone or tablet can access the internet. Im curious about people that only got a text alert from Carnival.

I know United has dropped the ball on a couple of my flights lately and I didnt get and alert till I was already checked in for my flight walking thru the terminal.

I agree and I wonder the same thing. There was dock space in Port Canaveral for both the Valor and for the Imagination.

My guess is, based upon what I have read on the internet, that the Coast Guard kept the Port of Miami closed for a longer period of time than what was expected.

Legend was rerouted due to the port of Tampa closing,not Miami. Probably due to concern for getting under the bridge, they closed that port much earlier than POM and had arrangements in place for bussing passengers from Tampa to Port Canaveral and vice versa. Plus, they had arranged for the necessary food to be rerouted, too.

They would have had two ships worth of food in Miami that would have had to be moved to Canaveral along with providing transport for both embarking and debarking passengers to their correct ports. I imagine a longer delay was probably easier to manage for both carnival and passengers, Who probably would have lost a day on the cruise to allow for rearranging.

Thanks and If I remember there were a couple others as well.

While anyone that has a smart phone or tablet can access the internet. Im curious about people that only got a text alert from Carnival.

I know United has dropped the ball on a couple of my flights lately and I didnt get and alert till I was already checked in for my flight walking thru the terminal.

Texts do seem to be hit or miss with a lot of things, but I don't know if it is the carrier's issue...or the organization using the mobile alert system.

I'd like to hear from those who used the system, too. No smartphone here, so I would be relying on the texts for sure in a case like this.

and who doesn't travel with pop-tarts or granola bars or something just in case something unexpected happens?

I don't. OP didn't get info not to get there until 8 it sounds like. Being told food has been ordered and never arrived after over an hour stinks. Don't know how he got to port but if his car is there, leave and get food then return. carnival shouldn't make statements and then not follow through.

Texts do seem to be hit or miss with a lot of things, but I don't know if it is the carrier's issue...or the organization using the mobile alert system.

I'd like to hear from those who used the system, too. No smartphone here, so I would be relying on the texts for sure in a case like this.

And those of us on CC or a seasoned cruiser would probably be more informed pre cruise.

If this happened on my first cruise I wouldnt know what to do.

We have Earthquakes in California not Hurricanes :eek:

Archived