Valor mismanagement

Jacobs4

I'll be honest in that when I booked our September cruise (also our first cruise) I didn't know it was hurricane season. It just so happens that our anniversary is in September so that's when we wanted to take our vacation. Granted shortly after I booked I joined CC and learned all of these things and I know whatever happens at this point will happen, but I can see how not everyone would be. Basically for me it means I'll be arriving with extra snacks and trying to keep my expectations low on the chance that we have any issues. :o

That's my take. Carnival does not build in a lot of buffer for anything. And it attracts new cruisers, who may not know what to expect.

Sounds like OP is on board now and getting food.

It's not like this is the first time Carnival has dealt with a hurricane. As Firefly states from experience Carnival doesn't always handle these situations well.

This is off topic and I am not trying to be silly but could one call information and get a phone number to order carry out like pizza for delivery in this sort of situation?

Would one be able to leave the terminal and re- enter if it meant my kids were hungry?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For heaven's sake, complainers on this and other threads, get a grip. Anyone who's travelled a lot has experienced delays and inconveniences.

You're either just getting off a cruise ship or just getting on one. You're ALIVE and you're SAFE. Your tent home hasn't been blown away, like in Haiti, and most of you don't have a huge storm bearing down on your home along the Gulf Coast.

Yes, it's unfortunate if you missed dinner or it was late. Not too many of us cruise passengers would starve to death because of that. :D It's unfortunate if your cruise was extended by a bit in rough seas, or is shortened by a day or two, or if a port or two is missed. It's unfortunate if you missed your flight and have to stay in a hotel for a day or so. It's unfortunate if you're having to put out some extra money, and/or if you're unhappy with what the cruise line offered you as compensation.

But geez...try to keep things in perspective!

Back to the webcam. Flame away!

First off, I didn't read all posts.

Second, sorry your vacay has to start out this way.

Third, CCL cannot/does not control the port. Ships are just now beginning to enter into to Port of Miami, NCL, RCCL, and CCL Imagination.

Now, if my family were in this same situation, I am my DH and I would be flipping out as our two DSs as traveling with them would make the situation worse, and they are teens. However, Carnival is compensating for the missed time, you cannot blame them for the port and the unpredictible storm.

If you do board tonight and sail, good luck with the ocean! Seas will be rough.

Anyone who's travelled a lot has experienced delays and inconveniences.

!

But Carnival wants the Newby cruiser.

Have you ever priced out a cruise this time of year? They aren't cheaper.

I find the cheapest fare in early Dec and Feb

For heaven's sake, complainers on this and other threads, get a grip. Anyone who's travelled a lot has experienced delays and inconveniences.

You're either just getting off a cruise ship or just getting on one. You're ALIVE and you're SAFE. Your tent home hasn't been blown away, like in Haiti, and most of you don't have a huge storm bearing down on your home along the Gulf Coast.

Yes, it's unfortunate if you missed dinner or it was late. Not too many of us cruise passengers would starve to death because of that. :D It's unfortunate if your cruise was extended by a bit in rough seas, or is shortened by a day or two, or if a port or two is missed. It's unfortunate if you missed your flight and have to stay in a hotel for a day or so. It's unfortunate if you're having to put out some extra money, and/or if you're unhappy with what the cruise line offered you as compensation.

Beagle, I don't have anything bad to say, but I love your pic of the Beagles! The larger one looks like mine! So cute! And the little one, so adorable!

And I agree with your post!

Its so easy to judge when it isn't happening to you. Everyone likes to say who cares you are on vacation but when things don't go as planning it gets frustrating whether it is something that could have been controlled or not. Especially if you have small children that can't understand what is going on.

Walk around Disney world at the end of a long day. You can always find a parent at wits end and not very happy. But I guess according to everyone here they should always be happy, after all they are at Disney and on vacation.

Hi there. I try not to get involved in the debates, I'm married and get enough of that at home ( :D )...just kidding.

But wondering, how did CCL do with text message alerts over the past two days or in the past in somewhat similar situations? They specifically ask for mobile numbers during online check-in and allowed me to elect to receive text alerts just wondering if they use it. Text/SMS can be a very powerful tool if used correctly.

Thanks!

But wondering, how did CCL do with text message alerts over the past two days or in the past in somewhat similar situations? They specifically ask for mobile numbers during online check-in and allowed me to elect to receive text alerts just wondering if they use it. Text/SMS can be a very powerful tool if used correctly.

I think that's an interesting question, and one that will hopefully see some feedback posted soon.

I wonder if it went better than their somewhat-bungled email communication concerning the change of debarkation/embarkation itinerary for Carnival Legend . . . where it seemed many people who should not have received the notice (booked in the past or booked in the future) did still get that memo.

The last few threads that I have read have not been nice. CC is not as it used to be. We used to be helpful and friendly. When did we start attacking and calling each other trolls.

No wonder the old timers are leaving...

When people stopped taking responsibility for their own actions or in-actions.

People nowadays love to blame everyone but themselves for everything.

Nowadays it's all about ME ME ME.

That has changed since this morning. When traveling Im not on a computer and dont own a smart phone.

Not judging, but I am surprised. For all of our travel, I always have it set up to get text alerts from the airline, cruise line, etc., in case of situations exactly like this. Much better to know ahead of time that your flight's delayed three hours than to find out once you've arrived at the airport...

Its so easy to judge when it isn't happening to you. Everyone likes to say who cares you are on vacation but when things don't go as planning it gets frustrating whether it is something that could have been controlled or not. Especially if you have small children that can't understand what is going on.

Walk around Disney world at the end of a long day. You can always find a parent at wits end and not very happy. But I guess according to everyone here they should always be happy, after all they are at Disney and on vacation.

99 times out of 100 the parents are at wits end not because of something Disney did, but because of their own are kids having a meltdown either because they're tired and need a nap...or little Johnny wanted a Stitch on a Stick and the parents said no.

People nowadays are seriously unrealistic and demanding about everything.

They believe the world stops and revolves around them...I've seen it happen all too many times.

Not judging, but I am surprised. For all of our travel, I always have it set up to get text alerts from the airline, cruise line, etc., in case of situations exactly like this. Much better to know ahead of time that your flight's delayed three hours than to find out once you've arrived at the airport...
I agree.....

I was making a comment that not everyone is hardwired into todays electronics.

I do have text msg alerts for travel. But there have been times Ive gotten to the airport, before Ive gotten the alert. It happend again last month:rolleyes:

I agree.....

I was making a comment that not everyone is hardwired into todays electronics.

I do have text msg alerts for travel. But there have been times Ive gotten to the airport, before Ive gotten the alert. It happend again last month:rolleyes:

Frustrating, but sometimes it is unavoidable! ;)

The cruise of 26th August was delayed due to storm Issac. But the subsequent management at Miami port was nothing short of mismanagement and poor communication. If not set right shortly there will be chaos and retribution from the passengers gathered here since 2pm and it is 9pm. People have been prOmised food (lunch earlier and dinner) with nothing turning up and staff throwing up their hands. Ship is not ready and no food served here for about 9 hrs. Families on warpath. Total mismanagement leaving passengers without food in addition to 34 hour delay. If u have any plans of cruising on CARNIVAL you need to fend for your own if this is how their management team works

Sounds like you expected everything to be business as usual, when it was apparent it was not.

It also appears you did not follow issued protocol. The mismanagent appears to be in your end.

Stormwatch

Can't agree with you more on the Me, Me, ME.

Firefly I doubt any emercency situation ever goes off completely without incidences.

Is Carnival SLOW at times Yes, but when YOU KNOW there is bad weather in the area a Little common sense and planning on MY part go a long way.

I don't have a cell with all the apps, but I'm also smart enough to watch the news, check at the Hotel on their computer b/4 I leave the hotel.

And yes I have been stuck out to sea in a hurricane and have heard people BITCH about not being able to get back to Port, when CARNIVAL has NO CONTROL over the PORT AUTHORITIES!

Agree with everything you say BUT how is the OP's situation all Carnivals fault. S>$% happens.

Perhaps CCL could have done things better but even faceless corporations are made up of many people doing

the best they can in a bad situation. Why is this just another chance to slam Carnival.

BTW, I wouldn't use this as an opportunity to blame OP either. Again, doing their best in a bad situation.

I have friends on this sailing - I can't wait to hear about their "adventure" when they return. It sounds like Carnival could have handled it better and I feel for everyone that spent hours and hours (and hours) waiting at the Doubletree, then the port and missed 2days of a 6 day cruise!

I don't cruise for 26 days, and I'm here at work in the Midwest, but even I knew there was a hurricane brewing in the ocean heading to Florida and the coastline. You don't have to be "wired" to know that some common sense prevails here. If you listened to the radio, or saw TV monitors in the airport, etc., you would know that the weather situation was "iffy" at best along the Florida coast. You also must have been "connected" to the internet or with your smartphone as you were able to post several times here on CC to gripe about the situation. I see this as no excuse on your part to say you weren't kept informed of the weather and the situation as a whole.

Always take snack foods in your carry-on or backpack so you have something to eat in the event of a situation where no food is available. No it's not dinner in a steakhouse but at least it is food. Secondly, you could have taken a taxi to the Doubletree to take advantage of the dinner Carnival was offering to you.

By now, everyone is on their respective ships and headed to their modified vacation. I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation as anticipated and hopefully next time you travel you will learn from some of these mistakes.

I don't cruise for 26 days, and I'm here at work in the Midwest, but even I knew there was a hurricane brewing in the ocean heading to Florida and the coastline. You don't have to be "wired" to know that some common sense prevails here. If you listened to the radio, or saw TV monitors in the airport, etc., you would know that the weather situation was "iffy" at best along the Florida coast. You also must have been "connected" to the internet or with your smartphone as you were able to post several times here on CC to gripe about the situation. I see this as no excuse on your part to say you weren't kept informed of the weather and the situation as a whole.

Always take snack foods in your carry-on or backpack so you have something to eat in the event of a situation where no food is available. No it's not dinner in a steakhouse but at least it is food. Secondly, you could have taken a taxi to the Doubletree to take advantage of the dinner Carnival was offering to you.

By now, everyone is on their respective ships and headed to their modified vacation. I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation as anticipated and hopefully next time you travel you will learn from some of these mistakes.

Well put! In addition, I understand the passengers being frustrated, but taking it out on the employees is unfair. How often have we, as employees, had to do the best we could with what we had due to things completely out of our control. Booing them until you are taken aboard? I pity the employees in this situation. Gonna be a long cruise (for them, at least).

Archived