Valor mismanagement

Jacobs4

and who doesn't travel with pop-tarts or granola bars or something just in case something unexpected happens?

Those who expect to get onboard right away.

Many times when there is a thread about bringing snacks onboard there is always someone who questions the need for bringing food with you.

With all the booing and irate passengers approaching the staff we r now boarding to go straight to the restaurant on board

Enjoy your dinner and if Ryan is your Dining Room Steward, tell him that Bob from Carnival Freedom and from his neighboring station on Carnival Miracle bids him well! An outstanding Dining Room Steward!

In my very humble opinion, all of the cruise lines including Carnival, handled what was dealt to them a very bad hand, as well as could be done with Tropical Storm/Hurricane Issac.

When one travels, one ought to expect that not everything will go as well as one has planned--and has paid for. That is the reason for travel insurance to help cover those unexpected costs when plans go awry. If one chooses not to be patient with the vagaries of travel, then one needs to stay home and not subject oneself to whatever the travel gods have in store.

Carnival needs to be complimented with what they did for the Carnival Legend passengers as well as for the guests on Carnival Valor and Carnival Imagination!

Please consider the stress that the crews of all three of these vessels have experienced in the past 2-3 days!

Be reasonable!

Not everyone can be a seasoned cruiser like you or I. We do a few cruises a year and know to be prepared.

What about the clients Carnival is trying to attract The newby cruiser that spends more money onboard with excursions or photos.

They might not be as knowledgable. They also probably have alot more build up of expectations. This might be their first cruise?

You brought up the Legend ........Why was it diverted to Port Canaveral and the Valor wasnt? Both were do in port yesterday?

I'm curious as to how you've managed to post this while at the terminal with no smartphone or computer access as you've stated. I'm not a cheerleader but am a realist. If you give them no way to communicate with you, what are they supposed to do--send a personal messenger?

The Op never said they didn't have internet access. That was someone else.

Op, best of luck to you. I hope you get a warm meal soon and I hope you have a GREAT cruise!!

Enjoy your dinner and if Ryan is your Dining Room Steward, tell him that Bob from Carnival Freedom and from his neighboring station on Carnival Miracle bids him well! An outstanding Dining Room Steward!

I think you meant to say Dining Room Stewart...!!!:D:D:D

Sorry, I've had a few beers tonight, along with my dinner, perhaps insensitive to those held against their will waiting to board a cruise ship to vacation.....

Not everyone can be a seasoned cruiser like you or I. We do a few cruises a year and know to be prepared.

What about the clients Carnival is trying to attract The newby cruiser that spends more money onboard with excursions or photos.

They might not be as knowledgable. They also probably have alot more build up of expectations. This might be their first cruise?

You brought up the Legend ........Why was it diverted to Port Canaveral and the Valor wasnt? Both were do in port yesterday?

I agree and I wonder the same thing. There was dock space in Port Canaveral for both the Valor and for the Imagination.

My guess is, based upon what I have read on the internet, that the Coast Guard kept the Port of Miami closed for a longer period of time than what was expected.

Have a great cruise starting soon Jacob & op.

As for food, I always travel with cheese cracker packs and granola bars. My dh may think I'm crazy, but we will not starve. :)

from Ohio, me too! The cracker packs & granola bars must be a midwest common sense thing!!

May I request that everyone consider the crews of the Imagination and the Valor? Look at the time of night that it is. Think about how long they have been on duty since this morning. Who knows when they will be able to return to their cabin and get some rest? And, you know as well as I that their duty time will come early tomorrow morning.

And, I am not just thinking about the dining room, lounge, and cabin stewards. Consider the stress that the ship's Masters, First Officers, Hotel Managers, and Maitre d's have had to endure. As well as who knows whom I have left out. (Forgive me!)

and who doesn't travel with pop-tarts or granola bars or something just in case something unexpected happens?

Guess we are the lucky few. Being a diabetic I always have something stashed away. Would be coming in handy now right.....?

Atleast the are boarding now and should be getting food.

I hate to tell you this, but when there is a emegency, Carnival is known to have a lot of problems dealing with them. There have been plenty of times in Galveston, fog .. food promised.. no where near enough food, most people didnt get anything. Hours waiting etc. Its not the first or last time.

Just try and get by until you get onboard.

Most of the people who post how its your fault not Carnival's probably have never been at the port when there was a emegency. Its easy to sit at their computer throwing stones at you for booking during hurricane season.. but it happens. Just try and keep up your chin and not let it affect your cruise.

If they are known for their problems in emergencies, why would you have seven out of eleven future cruises booked with them? I would think you would stick with a cruise line that handles them well.

I think you meant to say Dining Room Stewart...!!!:D:D:D

Sorry, I've had a few beers tonight, along with my dinner, perhaps insensitive to those held against their will waiting to board a cruise ship to vacation.....

Stewards are not in the dining rooms, waiters and Maitr d's are. Have another one for me. LOL

If they are known for their problems in emergencies, why would you have seven out of eleven future cruises booked with them? I would think you would stick with a cruise line that handles them well.

she probably wouldn't expect there to be an emergency on each cruise. wth would... :rolleyes:

I don't.

me either. and never would.

if carnival had a cozy convention center waiting for me though, i woulda went there, or taken them up on the $25 and bought my own dinner and figured out how to have a good time in port. this is not rocket science.

Don't expect any sympathy for this board. However carnival screwed up the cheerleaders will blame it on you.

You don't have to be a cheerleader to speak how someone screwed up. Carnival is not alone in this. It is across the cruise line board.

Guess we are the lucky few. Being a diabetic I always have something stashed away. Would be coming in handy now right.....?

Atleast the are boarding now and should be getting food.

I do so I don't have to pay airline prices.

Jacob glad you are getting on board, take a deep breath and enjoy your cruise.

You don't have to be a cheerleader to speak how someone screwed up. Carnival is not alone in this. It is across the cruise line board.

How does it help the OP that another line could be just as bad?? Doesnt seem to be to the point.. just defensive of Carnival's lack of communicatino.. well someone else could be worse??!!

OP has my sympathies. I think when things go wrong, Carnival has cut its staff to the bone and not able to handle emergencies.

I cruise in a couple of weeks and I sure have my fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong like this. It aint fun.

May I request that everyone consider the crews of the Imagination and the Valor? Look at the time of night that it is. Think about how long they have been on duty since this morning. Who knows when they will be able to return to their cabin and get some rest? And, you know as well as I that their duty time will come early tomorrow morning.

And, I am not just thinking about the dining room, lounge, and cabin stewards. Consider the stress that the ship's Masters, First Officers, Hotel Managers, and Maitre d's have had to endure. As well as who knows whom I have left out. (Forgive me!)

I was thinking this as well. We had the same experience during TS Faye in Galveston. The ship was still in the Gulf when we were supposed to board. This was before I had a cell phone, I did have my laptop and the hotel dial up. :) DH and I did check the Carnival site but waited until we visually saw the ship in port and allowed sufficient time for the passengers to disembark before we even headed to the pier. The hotel kept our luggage and we found more comfortable places to hang knowing the pier would be packed with those that had arrived that day and had been dropped there.

Once we arrived we did have a 90 minute wait among irate passengers. Maybe it was the fact I hadn't been there for hours but I couldn't figure out what these people thought they would get by berating staff. We got on when the ship cleared...the end. All the yelling wasn't moving that line faster. I felt particularly bad for those with small children, who had a reason to complain but typically weren't he ones doing so.

We had dinner at 11pm served by very tired staff who continued to hear the complaints of those at our table. We asked how they were doing and while I thought I was giving them a forum to rant a bit about their day they acknowledged the delay but assured us they were so happy we were on board and kept apologizing for something totally beyond their control.

I feel for the OP, it's a long frustrating day but sometimes we need to take control of the situation as best you can. When they arrived at the pier the ships weren't even there (I watched portfever to see the four ships arrive). Not seeing the ship I would have dumped the luggage and headed to Bayside or something. I'm cruising in 3 weeks, it's hurricane season and I know to be prepared for the unexpected.

OP I hope all onboard are now happy with a DOD and enjoy the rest of the cruise!

OP has my sympathies. I think when things go wrong, Carnival has cut its staff to the bone and not able to handle emergencies.

That's my take. Carnival does not build in a lot of buffer for anything. And it attracts new cruisers, who may not know what to expect.

Sounds like OP is on board now and getting food.

Archived