Dollar stores in Hawaii

scordovi

There are no Dollar stores in Hawaii, but don't worry. You can find a good selection of cheap souvenirs at all the Wal Marts. There is one in every port where you will stop. I believe they all have free shuttles from the ship. A second choice is K Mart. There is one of those in every port but Hilo. Target is another choice. Maybe a little more expensive, but little different selection. Also, I believe in every port.

Have a great trip.

If you are looking for macadamia nuts and candies, check into Longs (CVS). Don't forget to bring your CVS card. On Oahu, there is Don Quixotes. They have a large Hawaiiana section. Also Costco on Oahu. I shop at Walmart and sometimes Hilo Hatties.

Walmart has the cheapest postcards.

Renee (displaced local girl)

Pineapples from Dole Plantation are good, too.

Dole pineapples are heavenly!

While nothing is more satisfying than shopping for souveniers while on vacation, you will quickly learn that few souveniers are actually made in or are from Hawaii. Once you visit a few of the local ABC stores (on every corner in Waikiki) or Walmart, you will notice the same stuff everywhere.

You can save money and energy and have more quality time in Hawaii instead of wasting time in the stores by purchasing online. Also, you can purchase items that are really FROM Hawaii. For example,

We purchase pineapples directly from the Dole Plantation to home with free shipping. You can arrange for them to arrive the day after you arrive home. No need to carry heavy, fermenting fruit on the airplane. (DoleFruitHawaii dot com)

Macadamia nut chocolates can be purchased online for a fraction of the cost of what they run in Hawaii. We purchased online and it arrived prior to our trip. When we returned from our trip we had lots of "souveniers" for friends & family. (HawaiianHost.com)

Dole pineapples are heavenly!

While nothing is more satisfying than shopping for souveniers while on vacation, you will quickly learn that few souveniers are actually made in or are from Hawaii. Once you visit a few of the local ABC stores (on every corner in Waikiki) or Walmart, you will notice the same stuff everywhere.

You can save money and energy and have more quality time in Hawaii instead of wasting time in the stores by purchasing online. Also, you can purchase items that are really FROM Hawaii. For example,

We purchase pineapples directly from the Dole Plantation to home with free shipping. You can arrange for them to arrive the day after you arrive home. No need to carry heavy, fermenting fruit on the airplane. (DoleFruitHawaii dot com)

Macadamia nut chocolates can be purchased online for a fraction of the cost of what they run in Hawaii. We purchased online and it arrived prior to our trip. When we returned from our trip we had lots of "souveniers" for friends & family. (HawaiianHost.com)

Wow! Thanks for the tip. This will free up some time since DW wants to send pineapples and nuts to just about everyone we know. :(

Aloha

You could also wait for another port to go shopping. As far as pineapples go...you could buy them at Costco when you return (or Sprouts) etc. The very best pineapple is called Maui Gold.

You must purchase pineapples from a certified grower or will not be able to bring it back to California. (and you wouldn't want them ripening in your cabin for 5 days).

Stick with the MacNuts or chocolates. Big Island Candies in Hilo are the best chocolate dipped shortbread cookies. Also, Hilo has Rainbow Falls Connection Lavosh (they have a store right across the street from Rainbow Falls. Plus it doesn't take up as much space. Be sure to buy extra because they will not all make it back to the Port of LA.

http://gotlavosh.com/product-category/lavosh/

If you are looking for macadamia nuts and candies, check into Longs (CVS). Don't forget to bring your CVS card. On Oahu, there is Don Quixotes. They have a large Hawaiiana section. Also Costco on Oahu. I shop at Walmart and sometimes Hilo Hatties.

Walmart has the cheapest postcards.

Is Longs the brand?

Although obviously not Hawaii, here in Orlando the best small/least expensive souvenirs are in the drug stores. Here if someone wanted branded Disney for example Target and Walmart are the best so I agree those stores would be a better option for you up there. The Dollar type stores are more generic against full of touristy stuff imo.

Pineapple is the last thing I would be bringing back, ouch! Mind you I have them growing in my back yard. You can buy them in every grocery store on earth why would you want to be saddled with transporting and looking after somethings like this on a cruise?

Long's is the name of the drugstore. I'm guessing it's affiliated with CVS Pharmacy on the mainland.

Aloha

Longs has been a long time established Kama'aina drug store until it was bought out by CVS several years ago. You can find CVS brand name products in the store, but they have maintained the store name Longs and do carry a large assortment of local products (especially food and Hawaiiana stuff). I do not shop often at my local CVS stores, but frequent Longs at least once a week when I am on extended "vacations" on the island.

I agree with the Pineapple. It is a big hassle to bring these fruits back from the islands. Enjoy them while on the cruise. Look for the pieces that are the most yellow. If you can determine top from bottom, always choose the bottom pieces. The fruit ripens from the bottom up. A little bit of salt will take away the acidity.

Each port will have tourist guide booklet available (Oahu Gold, This Week, etc). They are full of coupons. You can get a free mug from Hilo Hattie if you spend $20.00 or more. Stay away from boat cruises to the Arizona Memorial. They are not authorized to stop at the actual Arizona Memorial.

So much to see, do, and eat and so little time.

Longs has been a long time established Kama'aina drug store until it was bought out by CVS several years ago. You can find CVS brand name products in the store, but they have maintained the store name Longs and do carry a large assortment of local products (especially food and Hawaiiana stuff). I do not shop often at my local CVS stores, but frequent Longs at least once a week when I am on extended "vacations" on the island.

I agree with the Pineapple. It is a big hassle to bring these fruits back from the islands. Enjoy them while on the cruise. Look for the pieces that are the most yellow. If you can determine top from bottom, always choose the bottom pieces. The fruit ripens from the bottom up. A little bit of salt will take away the acidity.

Each port will have tourist guide booklet available (Oahu Gold, This Week, etc). They are full of coupons. You can get a free mug from Hilo Hattie if you spend $20.00 or more. Stay away from boat cruises to the Arizona Memorial. They are not authorized to stop at the actual Arizona Memorial.

So much to see, do, and eat and so little time.

Mahalo! I just took a stab at it, since there are Long pharmacys' in the states (or maybe it's just one).

Plan on taking advantage of all Hawaii has to offer in January.

Aloha

As a previous poster has advised, there are "ABC" stores on just about every corner. They have so many things it will be hard to make a choice what to bring back home. So cheap as well! I brought 24 key rings of differing shapes such as a palm tree, turtle, surf board, yacht just to name a few for about $15 2 years back.

They have a web site if you want to check out before visiting:

http://www.abcstores.com/

Happy shopping! :)

As a previous poster has advised, there are "ABC" stores on just about every corner. They have so many things it will be hard to make a choice what to bring back home. So cheap as well! I brought 24 key rings of differing shapes such as a palm tree, turtle, surf board, yacht just to name a few for about $15 2 years back.

They have a web site if you want to check out before visiting:

http://www.abcstores.com/

Happy shopping! :)

I do more shopping at Longs than I do at my home CVS in a year. Often times they will have $0.99 calendars (I think Walmart has them too). Hilo Hattie charges $1.99 each. Easy to pack, doesn't take up much room, and light weight. Then your friends can have Hawaii all year long. Many different pictures, one for each island, volcanoes, flowers, and even a fish chart.

When flying, I take a suitcase over of Trader Joe's stuff for family and return with a suitcase of local delights. I am fortunate...I have some clothes stored in Honolulu so I don't need to bring a lot back and forth.

Renee

Archived