Avoid the kids?

Mara Suung

I forgot about Presidents' Day. That may explain the price bump that week. There are no guarantees and a few kids are fun to have around. I'd just rather avoid college break or large groups. Other conflicts seem to be forcing us into mid to late February.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk 2

My kids spring break is the Thurs, Fri, Mon and Tues around Easter. They get Presidents Day and the day after off in Feb (Feb 18 & 19). We're cruising that week out of Galveston. I'm assuming there will be a good amount of kids our week.

President's week is big here in the N. E. also. Your assumption is correct there will be lots of kids. The week before, Easter week and the week after there will also be tons of kids on the cruise ships.

We only cruise when the kids are in school! We are going to be on the Magic this coming February, but normally cruise in October or November. Yes there will be some kids on the ship, but not the zillion that will be on there during spring break or the summer.

We usually cruise in mid-February and don't encounter many kids - this is out of Galveston. We have a cruise upcoming on Nov. 5 on the Triumph out of Galveston and don't expect many kids then, either. Made the mistake one time of cruising when schools and colleges had just let out, never again! The college age kids were much worse than the younger kids.

Most Texas schools are on Spring Break the 2nd week of March. However the 1st and 3rd week will be Spring Break for many.

If you do choose to go in February, be careful of fog. Its common for Galveston to get fogged in causing big delays.

If it were me, I'd consider April or even early May.

Most Texas schools are on Spring Break the 2nd week of March. However the 1st and 3rd week will be Spring Break for many.

If you do choose to go in February, be careful of fog. Its common for Galveston to get fogged in causing big delays.

had fog in March (Spring Break cruise) and was delayed coming in a couple of hours.

spring break for houston is March 11-15.

And just about ALL of Texas is off this week. Best bet for low kids out of Texas is during STAR (formerly TACs) testing. They put the fear of god in to parents for missing those weeks.

Testing goes on throughout the state at the same time so I disagree with those who say Spring Break for some would be the 1st week of March and Galveston Cruises are comprised of at least 50% Texans.

According to our school's calendar, http://www.sharylandisd.org/cms/lib/TX21000378/Centricity/Domain/307/2012-2013_High_School_Calendar_UIL_Approved_1-27-12.pdf

the week just before spring break would be an especially good time to go to avoid OPKs.

We usually cruise in the fall...Sept/Oct/Nov....and avoid summer and holidays....so children have not been a problem on any of our cruises (knock on wood)....

I don't really have anything against children being onboard....I DO have a problem with parents that don't mind their children onboard....or clean up any messes that are made...

I remember one cruise....there was a young child in a stroller, probably about 2yrs old....child and parents, lounging near the pool....and this kid made the biggest mess on the deck, food everywhere (cheerios, cookies, french fries, etc)...some of the mess may have been from the parents....and then they just got up and walked away...leaving the disgusting mess for others to walk thru and for someone else to clean up.....it was pretty bad....

I will be on the Glory March 17th-24, 13, hopefully I'll miss most of the kids on spring break in the U.S. Guess I'll see when I get on the ship.

Gary

I'm already thinking about a cruise early next year. Does anyone know when most of the Texas Spring breaks are, so I can avoid those cruises? Want to use Port of Galveston.:)

Although we have a child ...we like to cruise when there are not many kids on board! My child is VERY well behaved...and I've cruised peak times with a large amount of rotten children ;). Never again! This is the Key reason we don't sail DCL anymore either!

We cruise 3rd week of January every year. My birthday is the 19th so I pick a cruise around that date.. The past few cruises there were abut a handful of kids his age on the ship!

Thats when the Canadian Kids have spring break!

I kind of thought that is when the Canadian kids have spring break but with flghts being so high, for example my air fare was $470.00RT from BDL to FLL, and the Canadian dollar almost equal to U. S dollar who knows what will happen. I do not know how any family of four can afford the airfare let alone the cruise,ect.

Gary

Anyone know about kids in May? I'm trying to plan for 3 family couples, and they've expressed a preference to avoid lots of kids.

Do the numbers of kids change with the length of the cruise? One of our member has cruised on Carnival before, but it was a 4-day cruise. She says the ship was full of kids, in May. I'm wondering if longer cruises might be less full?

Anyone know about kids in May? I'm trying to plan for 3 family couples, and they've expressed a preference to avoid lots of kids.

Do the numbers of kids change with the length of the cruise? One of our member has cruised on Carnival before, but it was a 4-day cruise. She says the ship was full of kids, in May. I'm wondering if longer cruises might be less full?

I would guess the longer the cruise the less kids, so you are right.

Gary

This and other things we dont we dont even think about. We were overrun in late October about four years ago. When we asked a couple of kids why they weren't in school, the said they were on "fall break". What the heck is that? We must be getting old and out of touch.

We now plan our traditional fall cruise for the first week in Oct.

I Know what you mean.. They get "fall break, "winter break", Christmas Break, (probably part of winter). and Spring break, and other "generic" breaks in between. Around here It seems there never in school. By 1pm some of them are already on buses going back home.. When i was in school. It was "8" hours.. Not 6.. I didnt get off bus till after 4pm and I got on bus at 7am.

Granted I know summer was cut short. Guess that makes up for it..

Archived