Family Suite vs. Haven Villa

jlat

We will be on the Jewel next year going to Alaska. I've booked a 2 bedroom family suite (SC), but am thinking about upgrading up to a 2 bedroom Haven family villa (S4). Other than a bit more size, are there any big advantages of booking into the Haven area? I already have access to the butler and concierge but is there some other thing that I am missing. Is there a separate lounge area just for the Haven?

We will be on the Jewel next year going to Alaska. I've booked a 2 bedroom family suite (SC), but am thinking about upgrading up to a 2 bedroom Haven family villa (S4). Other than a bit more size, are there any big advantages of booking into the Haven area? I already have access to the butler and concierge but is there some other thing that I am missing. Is there a separate lounge area just for the Haven?

Same exact space but you do get the Haven a private area just outside your suite. You can enjoy breakfast and lunch there, use the small pool and hot tub, or just relax in peace and quiet. The best think in Alaska there is a glass roof that can and wil be closed for rain or cold weather.

I believe the balcony is a little bigger (from what I have read here on CC). We were in the 2 BR haven suite last year. I didn't use the courtyard much. My daughter liked having a key card that she could swipe in the elevator to gain access to the 14th deck. When I was arranging our trip this year I would have been fine with the non-haven 2 BR suite. My husband and daughter voted for the haven suite again so that was that.

We were in a non-Courtyard two bedroom on the Pearl (pretty much the sister ship to the Jewel) and the concierge took us up to to the Courtyard, which is now known as The Haven. The room and balcony were the exact same - only difference was having the access to the Courtyard/Haven area. We were quite happy with what we had and didn't see any reason to pay another $1,200 to have access to the private area.

The Jewel actually has a private lounge on the Haven level (up on deck 15), the only Jewel-class ship I remember actually having such a lounge. Access is for Haven level guests only. Nothing much in there, but the views would be spectacular in Alaska. The upper outdoor level of the Haven would also offer amazing views. Also, Haven level offers reserved seating for the shows, something not always offered for lower level suites. Other than these (plus Haven access to begin with), there isn't much difference. The Haven suite balcony is slightly larger, although not really noticeable...

Robin

We have been in both two BR suites, I highly recommend the Haven for Alaska, Private to haven guests only deck 15 makes it worth the extra money. It is fantastic for sail away and for glacier viewing. We just booked another haven suite for Alaska on the Jewel for 9/07/13, SOOOO far away!!

My only concern about the Haven, was having noisy children take over the Haven pool area. I'd really not like to spend the extra money for peace and quiet and have it over run.

I'm sure it is amazing for Alaska glacier viewing.

My only concern about the Haven, was having noisy children take over the Haven pool area. I'd really not like to spend the extra money for peace and quiet and have it over run.

I'm sure it is amazing for Alaska glacier viewing.

A genuine concern. Think about this situation. A family of 6 adults took an Upsell from two balcony cabins. One of the six slept in the Heaven every night. One morning one was in the pool with shampoo and soap getting I guess her weekly bath. One bad cabin can in fact spoil what should be a remarkable relaxing cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

The Jewel actually has a private lounge on the Haven level (up on deck 15), the only Jewel-class ship I remember actually having such a lounge. Access is for Haven level guests only. Nothing much in there, but the views would be spectacular in Alaska. The upper outdoor level of the Haven would also offer amazing views. Also, Haven level offers reserved seating for the shows, something not always offered for lower level suites. Other than these (plus Haven access to begin with), there isn't much difference. The Haven suite balcony is slightly larger, although not really noticeable...

Robin

Do tell more about the private lounge on deck 15! I didn't see one on the deck layout picture! I'll be sailing on the Jewel in 18 days.....:cool:

A genuine concern. Think about this situation. A family of 6 adults took an Upsell from two balcony cabins. One of the six slept in the Heaven every night. One morning one was in the pool with shampoo and soap getting I guess her weekly bath. One bad cabin can in fact spoil what should be a remarkable relaxing cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

OMG!!! That's the truth, it can be kids or adults! :eek:

I'd think long and hard about spending my money to have my time ruined by others. I love my balcony, I think I'll stick with that! ;) Plus I'll save big bucks!

Do tell more about the private lounge on deck 15! I didn't see one on the deck layout picture! I'll be sailing on the Jewel in 18 days.....:cool:

As you go through the Haven there is a stairway to the 15th deck that has Lounge chairs in a private deck area for Haven guests, There is also a second entrance from the 14th deck near the Basketball Court that you can open with you room key. You can ask the attendent to check on you once in a while for any drinks, or use the portable phone from your cabin and call your Butler to get you what you need.

There is a separate lounge area (Haven) with small pool, hottub, sauna, exercise equipment, men's & women's locker rooms, cabanas, loungers, tables and chairs and a private deck accessible only through the Haven. You can also opt to have any of your meals served in the Haven to you and your family and there is the occasional afternoon dessert tray in the Haven (at least 2 years ago there was).

The Haven is the way that DH and I prefer to travel.

Sounds familiar. :rolleyes:

On the same cruise was another large family group that also took over the courtyard.

I swore off ever sailing in the Haven again after that cruise, but here I am, booked again. ;) Here's hoping for a better time this time around, and if not... a LOT of complaining from me to the HD.

I am sorry you had THE CLAMPETTS on your cruise in the HAVEN. Just kidding. But sincere in wishing your next experience is replective of the name HAVEN. hope it is peaceful and relaxing, like the promotional brochures!!!

Sounds familiar. :rolleyes:

On the same cruise was another large family group that also took over the courtyard.

I swore off ever sailing in the Haven again after that cruise, but here I am, booked again. ;) Here's hoping for a better time this time around, and if not... a LOT of complaining from me to the HD.

Hi Becky,

Hope you had a great time on your cruise! When is the next one? Tom and I will be on the 10/14 sailing of the Star. First since May, 2009.

Sorry this is off thread.

Regards,

Lita

It really is nothing more than a large room with comfy chairs, some tables, I think a TV, games, Etc. The Haven butlers put out cookies, candy, etc at times, maybe coffee, but not much else. It does have a great view though. It is up where they put the Deluxe Owner's Suites on other ships, so has a large wall of windows overlooking the pool area and beyond. Entrance is up a flight of stairs between the Garden Villas. Nobody really used it on any of our sailings, but I could see it being very useful on a rainy Glacier Day in Alaska.

Robin

It really is nothing more than a large room with comfy chairs, some tables, I think a TV, games, Etc. The Haven butlers put out cookies, candy, etc at times, maybe coffee, but not much else. It does have a great view though. It is up where they put the Deluxe Owner's Suites on other ships, so has a large wall of windows overlooking the pool area and beyond. Entrance is up a flight of stairs between the Garden Villas. Nobody really used it on any of our sailings, but I could see it being very useful on a rainy Glacier Day in Alaska.

Robin

Thanks for the info! I'll be on a Pacific Coastal and it's also my first time in the Haven....so it may come in handy depending on the weather! ;)

Thanks for the info! I'll be on a Pacific Coastal and it's also my first time in the Haven....so it may come in handy depending on the weather! ;)

It also has a great coffee machine that you can push a button and get all kinds of fancy coffees.

Archived