Google Earth Photos: Name the ship.

EdmPair

I was playing on my iPad with Google Maps and found some cruise ships in ports. In fact, you can find many of them but all are photographed from above. This makes them tougher to identify.

I am going to revisit this thread and post some others, but invite you to grab a screen shot of a ship to add to the list.

(Note to moderators: This topic does not seem to me to fit well within the Photo section of the board as I did not take the picts. However, if you feel it is better suited to some other place, feel free to move the thread.)

This one is easy. Its Fort Lauderdale and its BIG.

allure.jpg.52af6dc2ac4c1b453e779f619b71c57b.jpg

Here are three ships I found in Costa Maya. I can tell one is a Carnival. (And now I know not to put the ship name in the file name even if I know it since you can all see it then. But the Allure of the Sea was a gimme.)

I am guessing somebody -- well several somebodies -- can name these ships. Have at it.

costa_maya.jpg.54bf23763c2c82bb394b973ba28e2ff2.jpg

Here are three ships I found in Costa Maya. I can tell one is a Carnival. (And now I know not to put the ship name in the file name even if I know it since you can all see it then. But the Allure of the Sea was a gimme.)

I am guessing somebody -- well several somebodies -- can name these ships. Have at it.

Carnival Dream; Norwegian Jewel; Voyager of the Seas.

But I cheated...sort of. I knew the one on the left was an RCL ship, and the lower center Carnival. I went to Google Earth, and the photo date for that view is 2/10/2010. I went to CruiseCal and cycled back to Feb. 2010, and on Feb. 11, those three ships were there. (I find that the Google Earth dates a sometimes off by a day or two...). EM

I was playing on my iPad with Google Maps and found some cruise ships in ports. In fact, you can find many of them but all are photographed from above. This makes them tougher to identify.

I am going to revisit this thread and post some others, but invite you to grab a screen shot of a ship to add to the list.

(Note to moderators: This topic does not seem to me to fit well within the Photo section of the board as I did not take the picts. However, if you feel it is better suited to some other place, feel free to move the thread.)

This one is easy. Its Fort Lauderdale and its BIG.

The fact that the photo is named Allure.jpg is a good clue.;)

Carnival Dream; Norwegian Jewel; Voyager of the Seas.

But I cheated...sort of. I knew the one on the left was an RCL ship, and the lower center Carnival. I went to Google Earth, and the photo date for that view is 2/10/2010. I went to CruiseCal and cycled back to Feb. 2010, and on Feb. 11, those three ships were there. (I find that the Google Earth dates a sometimes off by a day or two...). EM

Cheated is such a strong word. I would call it maximum use of available resources.

It was a mistake on my part to put 'allure' in the file name for the first one. Somehow I thought this site assigned alphabet-soup type file names so the real name of the ship would be lost. So lets try something a bit tougher.

This is a photo taken in Europe complete with the compass but not the city name. The white lines are for some ferry which departs from the same dock location. Fingers on your buzzers. Go!

mysteryship.jpg.3856beb922a944a3ea6628dcb3896e60.jpg

Post 10 is either the Legend of the Seas or the Splendour of the Seas. She is definitely a Vision class ship, and olny those 2 have the engine room(and exhaust stacks) midships right below the Viking Crown Lounge.

Aloha

John

The location was Venice. I don't recall a date if it was given.

Fun game......it's amazing what Google Earth can reveal.

My son was telling me about a guy who sued because he & his mistress were caught by the street-level camera, having sex in an alleyway (evidently they had exhibitionist tendencies or loved the risk of possibly getting caught). Somebody saw it, it went viral, his wife found out, and a divorce ensued. Could be just urban legend, but...?

I followed the link given by DanJ and did not see that ship. I am guessing they updated the photo? But now it is here. Gotta give Google credit for the stitching. It is not very apparent.

When you click on the link, you zoom once, and then go left a bit.

Can anyone name this ship which was docked in Miami a while back (image from Google Maps satellite view)?

EDIT: Oops!!! Just saw that DanJ posted about this already. Sorry for the duplicating his post.

Carnival%20What%20the%20heck.jpg

This is the Carnival Liberty with a nose job (the butt of Carnival Inspiration) thus the correct name of this hybrid is Carnival Liberation!;)

Archived