Not enough outlets

LifeNJ

Make sure you bring a multiple outlet extension cord. In our mini suite there was only 1 110 outlet. I did bring a multiple outlet extension cord. There was a few 220 outlets so if you have a converter bring it.

what ship were you on and what type of cabin ?

Thanks

Jan

A couple of notes...you can use multi-voltage items (typically cell phone and laptop chargers, etc...) in the 220v outlet with just a plug adapter, no converter needed for that. Be sure to check the charger for multi-voltage operation first. I think the 220v outlets are UK style 3-pin. Next time you find yourself in the UK, buying a small UK market powerstrip is a good investment (you can probably find them online too)! BUT if you are going to use a US powerstrip in the 220v outlet, even if all the items you intend to plug into it ARE multi-voltage, YOU MUST STILL use a voltage converter on the plug end of the powerstrip or it will blow out.

What and how many things are people bringing that a lack of outlets is a problem?

I had the same question on our last cruise so I added up what our family of 5 brought along with them on the Dawn:

1 - CPAP

5 - Iphones

3 - Ipads

2 - personal laptop computers

1 - Kindle Fire

2 - Cameras with rechargeable batteries

2 - portable personal fans

1 - Hair straightener

1 - hair dryer

Needless to say we travel with multiple extension cords, multi taps , adapters etc.

Granted, most were not being used at the same time!

I generally take the following, all requiring a plug at least sometime:

laptop (offloading pictures, writing)

ipad (generally used to check work email in ports)

2 iphones (wife and I)

3-4 camera battery chargers

3 ipod touch

1 kindle

Now generally I'll have two ipod/iphone/ipad chargers and we rotate devices through them. I'll also have 2 camera batteries going most of the time, since we have multiple cameras and take lots of pictures. The laptop just gets plugged in as need. So really, for all those devices I really need 4-5 outlets. Taking a power squid solves for all of this. In the bottom picture you can actually see an iphone, kindle, laptop and a few camera chargers. :) That's on the Jewel class mini. No Euro plug, but two 110v. On the Epic there were two 110 and a Euro 220 under the desk

PowerSquid%20Surge.jpg

IMG_3586-vi.jpg

Edited by sdmike

I generally take the following, all requiring a plug at least sometime:

laptop (offloading pictures, writing)

ipad (generally used to check work email in ports)

2 iphones (wife and I)

3-4 camera battery chargers

3 ipod touch

1 kindle

Now generally I'll have two ipod/iphone/ipad chargers and we rotate devices through them. I'll also have 2 camera batteries going most of the time, since we have multiple cameras and take lots of pictures. The laptop just gets plugged in as need. So really, for all those devices I really need 4-5 outlets. Taking a power squid solves for all of this.

PowerSquid%20Surge.jpg

IMG_3586-vi.jpg

Power squids rock. They sure beat the in line multi taps

Bringing a power strip was the best advice we got! I didn't think we had that many devices to warrant one, but we wanted to charge the camera and iPod, so that would take up our entire outlet, plus occasionally DH's cell phone and a curling iron. It was definitely something we used!

Bigwally As to the English 220 v outlets. research where ship was built. all the ones I've seen were Eourpeain 220 outlets, don't think NCL has any ships built in United Kingdom.

Fair enough. Same advice, but wait until you get to mainland Europe and buy a Euro style 220v powerstrip (or get one from the internets). I was basing my post on a rememberance from the last time I cruised 3 years ago (and admittedly that wasn't on NCL).

But while I do have a UK powerstrip, I also have the adapters to be able to use it on Euro outlets, so that may have been what I did.

I had the same question on our last cruise so I added up what our family of 5 brought along with them on the Dawn:

1 - CPAP

5 - Iphones

3 - Ipads

2 - personal laptop computers

1 - Kindle Fire

2 - Cameras with rechargeable batteries

2 - portable personal fans

1 - Hair straightener

1 - hair dryer

Needless to say we travel with multiple extension cords, multi taps , adapters etc.

Granted, most were not being used at the same time!

:eek:Yikes!

My pet peeve is there are no power outlets by head of bed for the CPAP users. I've had to pack *long* extension cord for that.

I was pleasantly pleased to discover outlets at the head of bed in the new SJ suite on the Star but it is 220V and takes 2 round prong plugs - we were going on a Caribbean cruise therefore didn't take any European plug adaptors! Had to borrow another extension cord as the one I had wasn't long enough and the SJ suite was huge!

HOPEFULLY, the new Breakaway and Getaway will have at least one power outlet at the head of bed.

NCL, are you reading this????

Make sure you bring a multiple outlet extension cord. In our mini suite there was only 1 110 outlet. I did bring a multiple outlet extension cord. There was a few 220 outlets so if you have a converter bring it.

Because my husband uses a CPAP we always take a UL power strip and an extension cord. We've never been in a cabin with more than one outlet, usually located above the desk.

Wow, Norman. I know the Tributaries version of that is about $120, so certainly not cheap! I like the thought of the rotating plugs though. Saw this one for about $45. Neat concepts. I think I paid under $10 for my squid though

010609_rg_powerstrip_05.jpg

We were on the Star in a mini suite. There are no outlets near the night stands. I brought a alarm clock, I needed to use the extension cord because if it was on vanity and couldn't see the time without putting on my glasses. We used it for the laptop, camera, iPad,clock,and cell phones. We didn't have an outlet on the desk.

The best way to deal with outlets IME is do the following:

Three foot triple tap. This will provide three 15A outlets. Crawl under that little table where the hair dryer is and run the plug up through the hole where the hair dryer wire feeds through. Plug this into the 120V socket. This will provide you with 3 outlets. Into one of these outlets you can connect either an extension cord (the use of 3 wire 16AWG or heavier type SJ is recommended) OR a power strip (the one I pictured earlier has a long enough lead that an extension cord is generally not required in most steerage cabins! ;) )

Depending on where you use your devices (near the bed or dresser) will depend on your configuration.

If you need power by your bunk for a laptop, CPAP, etc. run a cord with a triple tap there. The only limit is your imagination.

Now the outlet cannot supply an unlimited amount of power so common sense applies! This arrangement will power any assortment of laptop, gaming console, chargers for phones, tablets, you name it!

Remember the housekeeping staff need to work around this so please run the wires along the walls and never across the floor where they can be tripped over, etc.

Another thing regarding the 240V "european" style connection. If you have an adapter to allow a US plug to connect to these please remember to check the name plate on your device! Most electronic "wall wart" style chargers will accept a wide voltage range of 100-250V input so this is not a problem. NEVER connect a power strip to this arrangement! These devices are not meant to run at input voltages higher than 125VAC. Additionally ones that contain surge arrestors WILL clamp at that voltage causing a short which will trip a circuit breaker. Do NOT allow this to happen!

Be smart and safe and have fun! :)

Cheers,

Norman