TVs in staterooms

tomsuelaw

Been reading a lot of reviews lately that talk about "no channels" on the TV, "useless TV", "nothing on TV". Is there any programing on the TV...anything to watch while I drift off to sleep other then CCL stuff? Wasn't sure if these ppl are over exaggerating or being literal.

Thanks

I had no problem finding something to drift off to sleep with on the Magic. There were several channels to choose from, like TLC, Discovery and some local Miami stations for the news... They do have several channels for Carnival stuff, but plenty to pick from

Been reading a lot of reviews lately that talk about "no channels" on the TV, "useless TV", "nothing on TV". Is there any programing on the TV...anything to watch while I drift off to sleep other then CCL stuff? Wasn't sure if these ppl are over exaggerating or being literal.

Thanks

It's pretty safe to say that they're not being literal if they're saying "no channels" or "nothing on TV" :D

The selection is usually pretty modest...but I turn the TV off when I want to go to bed, so I'm never looking for something to drift off to.

When we were on our last sailing I remember watching Deadliest Catch. I think that is the only show we watched so it must have been on in the evening before bed. Usually in the mornings we would look to see our current coordinates and sea depth (because I am a nerd) and watch some of the contests and shows that they replay throughout the week to see if we can see ourselves.

We dont spend much time in our cabin but we like to have the background noise of the tv when we are in there. It blocks out other noises from adjacent cabins (both ways :p ;)) also.

For some reason I really like the music they play on the channel that has the cameras for lido and the front of the ship. It's so cheesy it SCREAMS cruise to me. If I am in the cabin and DBF goes for a smoke on lido deck I sometimes try to look for him on the tv.

There was a channel list somewhere recently. Let me see if I can dig it up.

They usually have four or more free movies every day. In addition they usually have NBC, ABC, CBS, Cartoon Network, Boomerang and other channels. Never had trouble finding something to watch, when I actually want to watch TV. Most of the time I'm roaming around the ship, going to shows, eating or reading a book. I can watch TV at home.

My first cruise on RCCL in 1978 we didn't even have TV's at sea. Only the Voice of America radio station was available for music and news.

On our cruise from Baltimore to Bermuda we lost the network channels once we got a certain distance from the east coast so that all we had was the internal shipboard channels until we were again approaching the east coast on our return voyage.

That was our experience too. And the shipboard channels are like tv commercials at home...10 times louder than the regular programs. It was ear splitting.

On one of our cruises a long time ago the movies ran continually. DW sometimes referred to herself as the Excel queen. By knowing the length of the film, she made a spread sheet on our laptop listing all of the start times through the day. :)

On our cruise from Baltimore to Bermuda we lost the network channels once we got a certain distance from the east coast so that all we had was the internal shipboard channels until we were again approaching the east coast on our return voyage.

Must have been the "Bermuda Triangle" :)

I have gotten really aggravated when I found a really good movie! Wanted to watch but wanted to do things on the ship. I kick myself everytime this happens.

Sometimes I've watched a movie seeing the end, the beginning then the middle as the week goes on. Funny.

Haha, I've done the same thing!

Like you we sleep with the tv on to drown out noise. We have direct tv and all the channels but don't watch tv...read a lot. We are use to a LOT of channels so the FEW you get on a cruise is a let down. The movies they play are not back to back..there is a break with filler and depending on your cruise, you may not pick up as many channels as another cruise.

You will find something for noise or music but it may not be what you would pick if you were at home.

Sometimes I've watched a movie seeing the end, the beginning then the middle as the week goes on. Funny.

Haha, I've done the same thing!

LOL. That always happens to me too. On our Princess cruise is was Grown Ups (Adam Sandler, et al). It was always 15 minutes here, 20 minutes there, 10 minutes at another part, and so on and so on. Gradually over the week I'm sure I seen the entire movie, but not in the intended order of events. It was like doing a puzzle in video form.

I still, to this day, haven't seen it in order from start to finish.

It's one of those movies that remind us a nice event, sort of like the movie you seen on your first date. Ever since that cruise, whenever my GF and I see Grown Ups on one of the movie channels here at home, it always takes us back to fond memories of our Princess cruise.

Archived