Middle East Violence Effects Cruise Itineraries

Marked as "Proberly False" does not mean it is false? the article only proves johndon was quoting the email read correctly!

Is this now accepted as proof of being false or is the original email just an Urban myth?

Den

Per the home page for snopes.com at http://www.snopes.com/snopes.asp, the site is the definitive Internet reference source for urban legends, folklore, myths, rumors, and misinformation. For more info, see http://www.snopes.com/info/aboutus.asp.

From my past experience in using the site, if the status changes on any of their investigations, they will update the information.

Kat 50.gif

It's worse than that. They had xxxx on our recent Med cruise on Liberty of the Seas and said it was Traditional Aussie Beer.

We love trying the beers of the countries we visit but I'm not sure what Israel will present us with.

On Arcadia from Sydney to Southampton this year, they put on a stack of Tooheys New (lager beer) at Sydney, selling for £2.50 ($3.75) per can. Very few drank it, what with the superior British and European beers on board. So by the time we got to Africa, Tooheys New was going for £1 ($1.50) a can in the bars, and only 50p (75c) in the Crew Mess, according to our brilliant Indian Waiters.

Who knows Arcadia might still be carrying Tooheys New.

• 1 month later...
??????? I have no idea what you are talking about- I am here, in Israel, and I can tell you that there has been absolutely no mobilization of troops. There is absolutely no way that has happened. (And no way to mobilize troops without the general populace knowing about it.).

Your 'unreported events' and 'unconfirmed reports' are the figments of someone's imagination. There is not even any sort of mobilization exercise taking place. While we all might be in a state of holding our collective breath, no action is being taken - and no one wants there to be anytime soon.

I'd suggest that you refrain from posting such unconfirmed rumors in the future. Surely, they don't serve any useful purpose here.

Oh well, looks like Ruth (happy trailer) was not quite as expert on all things Israeli military as she thought she was, the mobilization of Israeli troops is now well documented by the World's media and not an Urban Myth or results of an overactive imagination. Sad and dangerous situation over there for all.

Oh well, looks like Ruth (happy trailer) was not quite as expert on all things Israeli military as she thought she was, the mobilization of Israeli troops is now well documented by the World's media and not an Urban Myth or results of an overactive imagination. Sad and dangerous situation over there for all.

Thank you, Jenny for your concern.

The situation now is not the same as it was two months ago; as anyone who follows Middle East news knows things here change frequently.

I am currently traveling solo on the Carnival Breeze transatlantic. My husband is at home in Israel. It has been unbearably difficult to be in the middle of the ocean while he has been enduring air raid sirens and missle attacks.

BTW- you are aware that Israel mobilized its troops after over 800 rockets and missiles were fired at its cities, including at our largest city, Tel Aviv, and, for the first time since 1970, at Jerusalem, right? I don't think anyone is surprised that we are now massing our troops on our border with Gaza; world leaders in Western countries are expressing their support for Israel, along with hopes for the quick diffusion of the situation.

No one predicted this. The situation was stable when this thread was started in September - and the original posts dealt with Iran. This aggression is by Hamas, in Gaza (although the missiles they have been firing at Tel Aviv and Jerusalem have been supplied by Iran).

Again, thank you for your concern. I'm sure you meant to ask if I and my family are safe.

To be fair to Ruth - this thread was started 2 months ago and initially discussed cancellation of visits to Middle Eastern ports. Somehow it warped into a discussion about the mass mobilisation of troops in Israel. At THAT time, of course, this was incorrect and there was none. However times have changed and there now is :)

The eastern end of the Mediterranean is certainly a bit of a hotspot at the moment and probably not the place to look for cruises -- except for possibly those that concentrate on the Adriatic Sea areas, Greek Islands - and possibly Istanbul. I would dearly love to see Istanbul -- but even there has some potential danger at this time (because of the situation in Syria)

Barry

To be fair to Ruth - this thread was started 2 months ago and initially discussed cancellation of visits to Middle Eastern ports. Somehow it warped into a discussion about the mass mobilisation of troops in Israel. At THAT time, of course, this was incorrect and there was none. However times have changed and there now is :)

The eastern end of the Mediterranean is certainly a bit of a hotspot at the moment and probably not the place to look for cruises -- except for possibly those that concentrate on the Adriatic Sea areas, Greek Islands - and possibly Istanbul. I would dearly love to see Istanbul -- but even there has some potential danger at this time (because of the situation in Syria)

Barry

I would love to visit that part of the world. Israel, Egypt, Tunisia, Turkey - not being Jewish myself but living in a extremely heavily Jewish area (the Jewish Research Centre is around the corner and there are many temples in the immediate area plus the great Glicks bakery & Aviz cake shop I am fascinated by their culture - we have a lot of Hasidic Jews live in our street).

Alas although I have come close to booking a number of times different events and nerves stopped me.

I've always wanted to see Tunisia, Isarel and Libya. Those are the three areas in that area that I haven't managed to see yet. The rest of the Middle East I have travelled through.

I visted Egypt and Jordan last December for the second time. Even when there was demonstrations. However, the situation between Hamas and Israel and with the rest of the Middle East on tender hooks over the situation. And if I was travelling this December I would be seriously looking at my insurance policy to see if I could change my travel plans.

Ruths comments were made 2 months ago. Your comment is unfair. Things can change within a day. Ask Americans on September 10 if they could imagine the World Trade Centre Towers being felled within 10 minutes of each other within the next 24 hours.

We are supposed to be cruising to Israel and Egypt next July. So far the itinerary is holding although one of our ports was bombed over the weekend. Ashdod. Must be dreadful for all concerned but I can also see both sides of the conflict. Just hope Iran doesn't get dragged into the equation because that will escalate everything.

I think I must be in the minority but I have no interest in visiting the middle east with the present political climate; given the period of time it has been going on for I suspect I will never visit.

There are more places on my bucket list for me to cross off.

I think I must be in the minority but I have no interest in visiting the middle east with the present political climate; given the period of time it has been going on for I suspect I will never visit.

There are more places on my bucket list for me to cross off.

I guess there are a few issues. I'm sure no one wants to travel anywhere where there is unrest. So I don't think you are in the minority there! However, up until a few weeks ago, this area was as stable as it is ever likely to be. And the region contains many places on my bucket list. :).

Mind you we did travel to Sri Lanka in the middle of their Tamil/SL conflict, so maybe it's just what we do. ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, Jenny for your concern.

The situation now is not the same as it was two months ago; as anyone who follows Middle East news knows things here change frequently.

I am currently traveling solo on the Carnival Breeze transatlantic. My husband is at home in Israel. It has been unbearably difficult to be in the middle of the ocean while he has been enduring air raid sirens and missle attacks.

BTW- you are aware that Israel mobilized its troops after over 800 rockets and missiles were fired at its cities, including at our largest city, Tel Aviv, and, for the first time since 1970, at Jerusalem, right? I don't think anyone is surprised that we are now massing our troops on our border with Gaza; world leaders in Western countries are expressing their support for Israel, along with hopes for the quick diffusion of the situation.

No one predicted this. The situation was stable when this thread was started in September - and the original posts dealt with Iran. This aggression is by Hamas, in Gaza (although the missiles they have been firing at Tel Aviv and Jerusalem have been supplied by Iran).

Again, thank you for your concern. I'm sure you meant to ask if I and my family are safe.

Hi Ruth

Sorry if you took my post the wrong way. I was merely trying to say (very badly as it turned out) that the situation can change in Israel from relatively stable to volitile in a very short space of time, and not even the residents (even informed ones) can predict what may happen from one month to the next.

I have little knowledge of all the nuances of who starts/ continues/ escalates/ stops these periods of violence in your region and the previous comment was never meant as a political comment (no way I would ever go there) and wish a lasting peace can be found for both sides. However, from my point of view, Israel remains far too dangerous and unpredictable for it to be a compelling holiday destination.

I certainly hope that your husband, friends and family stay safe. It must be worrying for you being so far away at this time. I hope you still manage to enjoy your voyage and holiday.

Sorry again for any distress inadvertently caused, best wishes to you and yours.:)

• 2 weeks later...
happy trailer

Wishing you a safe return to your loved ones. Here's hoping that a peace settlement can be negotiated and in the meantime you are all safe.

Rose

Hi Guys

Just a quick note to say hello. looks like you are again sailing the seven sea's. Have a great time & enjoy yourselves, half your luck.

Joe & Sue

I am researching options for our main cruise for 2014. Currently I want to do India/Egypt/Suez canal...obviously the current situation in Egypt is tense. Keeping my fingers crossed things will settle down...if not well my bucket list is very long I'll pick something else.

In any case I will rely on the cruise line to make a call in line with keeping their passengers safe. A unexpected change of itinerary can happen to you anytime anyplace..you just have to roll with it.

Sue

I can't speak for the other Middle East countries, but we were in Israel in January this year. It's a magnificent country with so much to offer, and we did not once feel threatened or exposed to any risk. My daughter is there at the moment and says that everything has settled down from the recent conflict and people are going about their daily lives. There are still many tourists going to Israel and as long as you avoid volatile areas (the area around Gaza and the West bank) which is easy to do, and be sensible, its perfectly safe to visit and for us it was one of the best trips we have done.

Also, if you visit Israel on a cruise ship, you would only be there for a day or two, and the ships dock in Ashdod or Haifa - too far from the southern areas (conflict areas) to be of any concern.

I did hear Ashdod named as being fired on by missiles this time. I think the first few months of 2013 may be interesting though. Thankfully settled down for the moment. But now Egypt is in unrest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived