Packing mistakes

ncshp955

A couple of things about packing. Number 1, I make a list and check items off as they go in. It's easier. And the list is pretty detailed. Why...because I don't want to have 6 pairs of white shorts and 6 pairs of black underwear packed. And I would. I've made every packing mistake you can think of, including forgetting to bring ANY shoes, except the ones on my feet of course. I've forgotten my brush too. And my make up. Fun stuff. Now I list and check off the list.

I bring most of what others said. I consider plastic baggies to be a must. Both to pack liquids in and to carry wet clothes home in. I had a suntan lotion accident on one cruise. It was quite the mess! Also, don't forget a small tote or backpack for in port. And Hangers! THere are NEVER enough.

Best packing tip I have gotten from here is to save dry cleaner bags and pack your stuff in them. I took clothes, pressed and on hangers, and slipped a dry cleaning bag over them, in groups of 4 items each, grouped by category...pants, shirts, etc. My one dress got it's own bag. I STUFFED my suitcase full of them, layering each with the hangers at the opposite ends of the others, and had virtually NO wrinkles when I unpacked. Didn't use a garment bag either. It was fabulous!!!

One of the things we always make sure to bring is gum and hard candy. I only had the pack in my purse and everyone had a serious case of dry mouth after taking some Dramamine.

The ships have candy shops, but it's really expensive.

I also make sure to bring a pen. Whether it's to keep score for card games, or the Fun Times, or to leave a note of where we'll be. Apparently you're supposed to have one in your room, but on two cruises ago we didn't. Found the paper though. Asked our steward and he said he's only allowed to give out one per room, but when we asked him to show us where ours was (since it wasn't there and our luggage hadn't arrived yet), he couldn't find it. But yet still wouldn't give us a pen. We ended up using a crayon from when we out to dinner from the kids menu to keep rummy score and leave notes.

Have fun!

Shawn

We like to take post it notes to leave messages, highlighter for the Carnival Capers, and LOVE the Purex 3 in 1 sheets for laundry! No, we are not Platinum, and have to occasionally do our own. Fold a few up in a ziploc sandwich baggie just in case you need to do a load or two of laundry. Detergent and fabric softener all in one sheet! Love taking them on vacation! :D

First cruise long ago was a bathing suit. First stop was key west and my boys laughed at my only choices, pink, purple or flower botty shorts as that called them because not board shorts.....I sported them purple trunks!

I won't board a cruise ship without a large insulated mug. We use them all over the ship, especially if we're enjoying the sun! Our first cruise we didn't bring one and I was always walking back and forth to the buffet because the glasses are so small.

Also, I would bring a mesh bag for dirty clothes. The cabins aren't huge and there isn't really a space for them anywhere else.

Hope this helps! :)

I bring Hershey's miniatures to leave for the room steward with a note every day - like "have a nice day, etc." Hand a few to the room service person along with the tip and it gives them a smile!

This is SUCH a great idea! I'm always looking for ways to show my appreciation for the awesome service staff aboard ship! Will definitely be doing this from now on. :)

I too have a small bag I keep many of the items others have listed (meds, etc). You don't have to have a large quanity or size of everything, but you will be happy to have it. You can get so many things in travel sizes now.

I always take a needle and thread and a few safety pins. And I always seem to use them.

Last trip I took a mini small can of OFF because I had read about sand fleas on the beach. Yes we used it, and I told anyone around to feel free to use it and they did.

Zip locks of all sizes are my best friends. I take a few of all sizes, I love the 2 gallon size. This last time our water shoes never dried, but I stuck them in a ziplock and packed them no problem.

minimus.biz

Buy travel sized items to save room in your luggage! Going this route is nice since you can buy all your meds for a few bucks.... not to mention shaving creams, shampoos, hair sprays, sun block, laundry detergent, antibac wipes, etc.

I agree with others when it comes to Lysol wipes! Don't leave home without them.

Post-it's. Great for leaving notes on your cabin door so others in your traveling party know where you're at.

Don't pack a lot of shoes! Bring one dress pair, one pair of flip flops, and one comfy pair.

We have always brought insulated coffee mugs, works out great, get cofee from lido deck and sit on your own private balcony - awesome. Also insulated doubledwalled drink plastic glasses with top and straw. If you have your own BV bottle - make drinks in these - stay colder longer. Also I put some decorations (postcards, etc) on cabin door - easier to find.:)

Well with all these thoughts and suggestions my hopes of packing light went out the window.:) There have been some really good ideas here and I really appreciate all the feed back. Looking more and more forward to my May sail date. Now if someone can come up with a way to make time go faster.

Like many, I rely on my cell phone for time-telling when I'm not on vacation. My first cruise in April 2009 my phone decided it was October 2001, and became completely useless while on the ship (not to mention accidental text fees when it went off airplane mode). Additionally, since we book excursions outside of Carnival, we need to make sure to stay on "ship time" so we don't become pier runners. Before our last cruise, I bought this clip-on waterproof watch, and it's become indispensable on all of our vacations:

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T73751-Tween-Digital-Watch/dp/B001AZM33Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348511737&sr=8-1&keywords=waterproof+watch+clip

It clips to a swimsuit, life jacket or a bag, glows if you want to see the time late at night, and it does have an alarm function, though we've never bothered with it (we're on vacation, after all!). I wouldn't travel without it now.

I also travel with my own little drug store, and pack by a meticulously detailed list.

we take candy for the crew members also , a small note pad or sticky notes if a good idea also.

Shoe bag on bathroom door is a good idea I got from reading this.

I have never seen advil at a service desk and I have been on 12 cruises, anyone else seen it?

Power strips they are taking now but you can take a small drop cord I heard.

I also have a little drugstore to take with cold meds etc. My DH forgot his beauty aids bad one time and we had to buy some stuff, was not cheap. so I now I recheck him for his bad. LOL

highlighters good idea also.

Thanks for the great ideas everyone

A waterproof watch was one of my best cruise purchases. Use it all the time, on the ship and off.

Sun block! Remembered to bring it but didn't realize the bottle was almost empty. Had to buy some in Cozumel last cruise, $17.50 per bottle. Ouch!

Benadryl and hydrocortazone cream. Got stung by a jellyfish in Grand Caymen and these two things were invaluable.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I added a few things to my cruise packing list.

I agree that you don't want to over pack but you should bring more then 1 swimsuit and more then 1 pair of comfortable shoes.

Forgot the charger for my I Pod and DW forgot her camera charger on separate cruises. Remember all chargers.

As others have said, bring large insulated coffee mugs. We always fill one with the fruit punch at breakfast.

Makes for a great mixer with Bon Voyage vodka.:)

Don't forgot hats and sunglasses. It can get very sunny. Actually bring spares.

Wasted too much time and $$'s shopping for replacement sunglasses after breaking my one pair.

Don't forget to bring your spirit of fun and adventure. Enjoy.:)

we take candy for the crew members also , a small note pad or sticky notes if a good idea also.

Shoe bag on bathroom door is a good idea I got from reading this.

I have never seen advil at a service desk and I have been on 12 cruises, anyone else seen it?

Power strips they are taking now but you can take a small drop cord I heard.

I also have a little drugstore to take with cold meds etc. My DH forgot his beauty aids bad one time and we had to buy some stuff, was not cheap. so I now I recheck him for his bad. LOL

highlighters good idea also.

Thanks for the great ideas everyone

Do you ever take anything else for the crew? I was thinking about making up a basket for our steward to give along with his/her tip. Have any of them ever said what kind of things they like? or need?

I have never left it behind, but I see a lack of common sense when I go on vacations. Please make sure you bring plenty. ha ha ha

To be serious for the slightest of moments, Advil. I paid like $11.00 for a bottle of 20 or so in the store onboard. I don't plan on forgetting that anymore.

:rolleyes: Maybe you should have checked with your WIFE;) first!! I am sure SHE;) would have some. $11.oo for Advile-- but if you need an "Ace" bandage they are a deal onboard

For me the travel clock, watch, small roll of duct tape (it fixes most things), and I always take the hanging shoe bag for the bathroom it keeps everything in it off the counter and hangs on back of the door. Also, air freshener, I like the gel kind, no mess or sprays! I always forget a water bottle!!

Enjoy packing and your cruise

We pull a few strips of duct tape off and stick it on the inside of our suitcase. :) We use a thin, foldable over the door hanger too.

:rolleyes: Maybe you should have checked with your WIFE;) first!! I am sure SHE;) would have some. $11.oo for Advile-- but if you need an "Ace" bandage they are a deal onboard

A few years ago Ace bandages were $4 at the Carnival med office. Way cheaper than home.

If you decide to repack make sure you put all your stuff back in. Almost forgot DD's pants one trip. One cruise Mom forgot her makeup.

Archived