Packing mistakes

ncshp955

We have only been on one cruise but the biggest mistake I made was overpacking. I didn't forget ANYTHING. I was so worried that I couldn't just make a store run like on other vacations, that I packed for EVERY scenario I could think of. Not necessary! I will be packing way lighter for our upcoming cruise. The only thing I can think of that we had that I wouldn't have wanted to do without was our power strip. But we would have still lived without it.

If only I had a dime for every time I've said the very same thing. :)

Something to pull my hair back with. I have short hair but its long enough to blow in my face. For some reason, I didn't seem to think walking on deck would be windy and didn't bring any headbands/clips with me on my first cruise. And chapstick/blistick. Definitely needed.

I forgot sunscreen on my first cruise and paid awful prices for it at our first port. And thanks to reading this post I won't forget it this next time!

But I am with the light packer contingent- mostly if it isn't there then- oh well.

As far as advil- some ships have a bowl of them (or tylenol or somesuch) at the service desk. Just take some. In case you realize you have forgotten them. And since we are always at a hotel the night before- we bring the lotions from there if we have forgotten to bring some. Usually the shampoos and conditioners too- often a far better brand than what is on board.

A watch.

I typically don't wear one sinc I use my phone, but don't carry my phone or purse around with me when I am on the ship. You would be amazed how hard it is to find a clock on board!

This. I haven't worn a watch in years because I'm used to using my cell phone for the time.

As someone else mentioned, we took a small bottle of Tylenol, but that was it as far as "first aid" stuff. Turned out we needed a bandaid for a cut finger and a small box cost me $7 onboard. I'm planning on getting a small travel first aid kit that I can throw into my carry on before my next cruise.

Moisturising cream. Don't usually use it, but the heat and the sea air dried my skin out so much is was like paper, and it actually felt too tight to smile!!! :eek:

Will remember a small tube next time as even a little pot of nivea was extortionate on the ship!

I have never left it behind, but I see a lack of common sense when I go on vacations. Please make sure you bring plenty. ha ha ha

To be serious for the slightest of moments, Advil. I paid like $11.00 for a bottle of 20 or so in the store onboard. I don't plan on forgetting that anymore.

I can beat that. I forgot to bring hair spray once. I found some in the ship shop...$20+ for one small can. I never forgot that.

Also.......that it was the best hairspray I have ever had in my life. It held my hair..but I didn't even know I had it in....great stuff. Still....

the drug store kinds do best.

PACKING......trying to make everything I bring.....non wrinkle. Trying to bring formal night stuff that looks nice, but no mess. no ironing. etc. NO high hells. I can't walk on ships well in Nikes..much less heels.

THIS cruise.......I am trying to leave my garmet bag behind..just one big suitcase..and one small one for night things and undies.

I have wagged tons of stuff all over the Caribbean...no more. I will wear a dress twice if I have too. Wash out some socks. Now we are VIP so we get one sack of laundry free.

This. I haven't worn a watch in years because I'm used to using my cell phone for the time.

As someone else mentioned, we took a small bottle of Tylenol, but that was it as far as "first aid" stuff. Turned out we needed a bandaid for a cut finger and a small box cost me $7 onboard. I'm planning on getting a small travel first aid kit that I can throw into my carry on before my next cruise.

Keep a "store". When you are in motels..or see them in stores..get small sizes of shampoo and conditioner. Ditto Band Aids. Also when they pass out small packages at meetings..conventions. At one insurance meeting..I got a small sewing kit. It has traveled a lot. I pick plastic soap dishes at Pharmacy..have a big bar of soap to wash hands. Ditto Body Wash..pick up small bottles. Target has a row of small sizes...I also shop there before we leave. I carry alcohol..the rubbing kind in a small plastic bottle, band aides, itch cream..for mosquito bites...neosporing...a manicure set..snagged nails, etc....hair spray...aspirin..comb..brush....face and hand wipes....

I keep it packed all the time. Go through it before we leave..and add what is not there. Today..I am going to get small body wash containers. Most of the rest is there. We sail in two weeks.

I read about keeping a "store" on Cruise Critic. It has been a blessing many times over.

For me the travel clock, watch, small roll of duct tape (it fixes most things), and I always take the hanging shoe bag for the bathroom it keeps everything in it off the counter and hangs on back of the door. Also, air freshener, I like the gel kind, no mess or sprays! I always forget a water bottle!!

Enjoy packing and your cruise

I bring a 3 in 1 triple tap outlet multiplier ever since our big outing in Acapulco was to the ferreteria (hardware store).

Plus I toss a few nylon cable ties in the carry on since one of the brass rings that hold the shoulder strap opened up and the cable tie was a perfect fix.

I found a small travel size eyeglasses repair kit with a tiny screwdriver, assorted tiny screws and a magnifying glass. Lifesaver! Maybe duct tape would have helped but this was much better. m--

I pretty much pack a small pharmacy to cover my bases. However, things I have added to my list over the years is earplugs, lint roller, nightlight and highlighter pens for me and my kids to highlight the daily program activities that we don't want to miss.

Also, we always bring insulated cups for our sodas.

when it comes to the band-aids make sure you don't skimp on them. On our last cruise I had regular bandaids packed but a well loved comfy pair of shoes decided to change their comfy status on the cruise and rubbed blisters on my feet. Ugh ... in packing lite I hadn't packed an alternative pair of everyday shoes. My bandiads wouldn't stay on my feet when they got a bit sweaty in all the heat. Thank goodness my DIL had packed water-proof band-aids in her luggage. They were the only thing that even remotely stayed on my feet and provided a buffer between them and the shoes that had rubbed them raw.

another thing I needed once and had to buy in Bermuda for $12 was an eye glass repair kit. One of the little screws on my glasses fell out. When you wear glasses all the time and you only have one ear piece to hold them on. It sucks,

Along those lines, if you wear contacts always bring an extra pair or 2. I once had to walk around an amusement park with a bandaid stuck to the inside of my sunglasses. My contact tore that morning and I forgot my glasses at home. Being EXTREMELY nearsighted and not having a contact in my dominant eye left me in a world of misery. The only thing that helped a little was to block the vision in that eye. I ended up having to buy an eyepatch for the ride home.:eek: Needless to say I am now always VERY prepared.

Along those lines, if you wear contacts always bring an extra pair or 2. I once had to walk around an amusement park with a bandaid stuck to the inside of my sunglasses. My contact tore that morning and I forgot my glasses at home. Being EXTREMELY nearsighted and not having a contact in my dominant eye left me in a world of misery. The only thing that helped a little was to block the vision in that eye. I ended up having to buy an eyepatch for the ride home.:eek: Needless to say I am now always VERY prepared.

I always pack Nexcare eyepatches and eye ointment in case someone gets an eye abrasion. I have dry eyes and you never know being in the sun and sand. Anyway, I've never had to use them, but last November, one of my tablemates had gotten some sand in her eye and scratched it and was in extreme pain. I left the MDR and came back with a couple eye patches (they are like bandaids for the eye area) and the eye ointment for dry eyes (it was unopened) and she was able to at least function. Eye scratches can make you totally miserable all over. My family and friends always make fun of me for taking things for any scenario, but they all got to see how it came in so handy.

I always take a battery operated scented candle for the bathroom....use as a night light as it's a killer to turn on that big light in the middle of the night.

I have a plastic food container that I put in bandaids, ointment, etc in...and replenish it after every cruise or trip - you are right...costs a fortune if you have a headache to purchase Motrin, etc. on board.

I take a cloth dirty clothes bag....fill it up and just put the entire thing in the suitcase to take home.

I bring Hershey's miniatures to leave for the room steward with a note every day - like "have a nice day, etc." Hand a few to the room service person along with the tip and it gives them a smile!

Also, Lysol or clorox wipes....the cabin looks clean...but more than once we have wiped up someone elses sticky mess.

Powerstrip would be great, but they have been confiscating them alot lately.

Happy cruisin!

I pretty much pack a small pharmacy to cover my bases. However, things I have added to my list over the years is earplugs, lint roller, nightlight and highlighter pens for me and my kids to highlight the daily program activities that we don't want to miss.

Also, we always bring insulated cups for our sodas.

The last 2 cruises I brought our Disney mugs for coffee. The ships coffee cups are so small, it takes me 8 cups to get my normal 2.

Lots of great ideas on here. I agree with the pharmacy though. My husband tells me I bring too much but I don't care. I always say to my kids, "better to have it and not need it, then need it and don't have it" but what do I know :D

Archived